BC Boards

Dogs are not cargo.

It is spring once again in Minnesota so the idiots come out in full force. I have seen people in this town drive around with several dogs in the back of their pick up truck (loose walking around) driving down the highway at 60mph! I have also seen children in the back of pick ups, and when I call 911 they told me that it is not illegal! ( Of coarse in our town the dog catcher uses a pick up truck without a topper and puts dogs in a kennel in the back when it is 20 below!) I really dont want to be the one to accidently run over their dog because it decided to jump out and chase fur. And while I'm at it we have a Cabellas the next town north to us were More IDIOTS decided to sell puppys on the side of the road! There is a professional in our dog training who purchase one of these mill puppys and it is getting the best of me. Thank you for letting me air my frustrations.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I think these people should watch a tv show I saw last year. I believe it was on Animal Planet.. the show thats like a vet ER place.. forgive me I cant remember the name of it. Anyway- this dog came in that had jumped out of the truck, and gotten the fur on its tail skinned... Basically th e dog had its ENTIRE tail skinned.. and the poor dog was so nice. It was awful to see, and I think if people dong realize that just because their dog hasnt jumped yet, it doesnt mean it wont.

Oh ... this SO gets my goat! Every time I pull up next to an idiot with his dogs loose in the back of the truck, I make a nice happy face and convince the guy (sorry, but it's inevitably a guy) to roll down his window ... and then I thank him kindly (ha ha) for the opportunity he's given me to run over his dog(s), and how it's no skin off his back, because he doesn't have to try to sleep at night having gone "thump thump" over his best friend.

I have been working on figuring out where the bill is in legislation here, and want to work with our representatives on getting a law passed. It's inconceivable to me that there isn't a law already in place in this state. In my opionion, it should be a felony.

Jodi

I understand that it's illegal in New Hampshire to have an untethered dog in the back of a pick-up. I assume kids get the same concern.

Here in North Carolina, kids can ride loose in the back of pick=ups (and of course, all the Hispanic workers) because - get this - they are farm vehicles and not out on the open road. Honest! I guess I-40 is part of the farm?

Ever since I was a child I would get so friggin angry when I saw a dog riding in the back of a pick-up. Even tethered it's still not good for them, but at least the risk of jumping is less. (Though sometimes being tethered is worse - they jump and hang, if it's not tight enough). Bahhhh. I really wish it was illegal. At the very least it's "unsecure cargo", which IS illegal, right??

I worked for a vet in Atlanta years ago and we had a 9 month old Rottie pup come in after falling out of the back of a pickup. The dog was tied in the back, but the rope was too long. When the guy went around a corner to quick, the dog fell out and the rope got wrapped around the wheel taking the dog with it. The dog was still alive, but the right rear leg was so badly damaged it had to be amputated. The left front leg also had bad nerve damage and made it very tough for the poor pup to get around for a while. The owner, who was a pro football player, decided he didn't want the dog anymore and wanted it put to sleep. We did not euthanize the dog and one of the other tech's adopted it.

It's illegal here to have an untethered dog in the bed of a pick-up (although, not so for people). That doesn't stop anybody from doing it though. Law enforcement doesn't enforce the statute. In fact, I was talking to a sheriff's deputy about it once. He didn't even know it was against the law :rolleyes:

Another thing that makes me nuts, now that the weather is starting to warm up it's going to be happening again. People leave their dogs in their parked car with the windows barely cracked. I swear, with the half-wits I see around here, it scares me that these people breed!

As for children riding in the back of pickups, I remember when Virginia passed a law allowing it. The reasoning was that the farmer who had only a pick up truck wouldn't be able to take his family to church on Sunday if he couldn't load the kids up in the back. Hmmm...maybe the kids should ride up front and the ADULT should get in the back!

J.

I just came from my vet's office ( Well Cat Check) and I was telling him how upset I was, Of coarse he agreed he stated he felt shaking people he gets so upset...He just had a 6 month old puppy last week same thing jumped out of the back and broke his leg. I deeply am appreciative to our vets, they are wonderful people. I don't know how they do it. I would like to drag these stupid people behind my SUV tied up to a rope around there neck maybe then they would have some compassion, But I doubt it.

I just wrote a letter to our local paper and would like your feedback...I tend to "step on toes" when I write letters to our paper. I need to explain that we live in a small community and my husbands career is with the public, but I feel very strongly about certain subjects and this one is close to my heart. Thanks, Kari

Monday March 27, 2006

Dear Editor,

Now that spring is just around the corner I feel it is very important to remind people to be responsible pet owners. Remember that Children and Dogs are NOT cargo! It is already starting, I am driving down the highway and the pickup next to me has 2 loose labs in the back. Please be responsible pet owners and put the dogs in your cab( This owner had an extended cab and there was plenty of room) If you don?t want them in your truck, keep them at home. I really don't want to be the one to accidentally run over your dog because it decided to jump out and chase fur. (I don?t care how well you say your dog is trained, it still can happen to the best trained dogs).

Kindly spay/neuter your pets. Puppies running down the highway is a heartbreaking scene. If you did not want the puppies, you should have been responsible and prevented it from happening in the first place. If you can?t afford proper vet care you should not own a pet.

I met a couple with a wonderful young stockdog. They had lost their old dog because it had fallen out (bounced out?) of the pickup and broken its neck.

Did they learn their lesson? No. The new dog will ride loose in the pickup bed because she will be "too dirty and smelly" to ride in the cab, and a crate secured in the bed area will be "inconvenient" for the owner to work and load around.

Dogs bouncing out of pickups is a major reason for death and crippling, and also for losing stockdogs (particularly out West, where pickups and unsecured dogs abound, as the rescues/shelters will attest).

Around here, I often see "farm dogs" (which includes the stockdog breeds) and companion animals (particularly the ubiquitous Black Lab) riding not only loose in the pickup bed. These dogs are often standing on with their front paws on the pickup bed walls or all four feet on the toolbox right behind the cab, riding high without even the pickup bed walls between them and a quick fall to the pavement.

A few summers ago, I overheard one fellow complaining that he couldn't stop his "dumb dog" (a young pit bull pup) from jumping out the car window. That's why it was limping and wasn't healing. Who's the "dumb animal" in that case? Who didn't "learn his lesson"?

Kit - Thanks for your thoughtful letter. Maybe we all should get busy and send similar ones to our local papers. Maybe it will save some dog or pup from a tragic end. It's well worth a try.

Thanks for your support, there are so many tragic stories. I have complained to our law enforcement but am told there is nothing they can do. I wish there was a law regarding "children and dogs as cargo", Unfortunately I get the picture even if there was a substanial fine it would not be enforced. I am ignorant in the area of animal laws, if anyone knows were I can get any information please let me know. What I don't understand is that we have a seat belt law but it dosen't apply to pick ups with children????

Implimenting more laws will not stop idiots from being idiots.

Personally driving defensively and putting distance between myself and any potential flying live or inanimate cargo that might issue from another vehicle is the best course of action.

I have just as much if not more disgust with people who insist on operating a motor vehicle with their little ankle biters riding in their laps.

I agree people should not let animals loose in the back of pickups. One thing people do not realize is that dogs do not have sweat glands like us. When we are hot, the wind blowing cools the sweat on us and makes us feel cool. Even if the air is warm. If you notice dogs in the back of pickups in the summer, even cruising at 60 or 70 mph, they are panting. Because they are hot! The wind blowing hot air on a hot dog only makes them hot! There is no difference in the cooling aspect of a dog in direct sunlight or in direct sunlight and going 60mph.

That said, I still would not like to see a law forbidding it. Because I am of the belief that we have too many laws already and I don't believe that we need the guvment telling us what to do and what not to do. We need to educate the public not dictate what they do or don't do. Everytime we make a law we give up a little piece of our freedom.

Okay, off soap box now.

People who let their animals loose in the back of a pickup are ignorant. They need to see the results of dogs that get thrown out.

"That said, I still would not like to see a law forbidding it. Because I am of the belief that we have too many laws already and I don't believe that we need the guvment telling us what to do and what not to do. We need to educate the public not dictate what they do or don't do. Everytime we make a law we give up a little piece of our freedom."

Dixie girl - I understand what you're saying. So when I run over one of these dogs that jump out of the backs of idiot's trucks, should I feel obligated to stop and face legal action then?

Jodi

Okay, like I said, I understand the reasoning behind making it law. I understand that as dog lovers we want to do whatever to protect them. But making it a law will not stop irresponsible people from doing it. All I am saying is that I am so tired of every aspect of my life to be regulated by the guvment. In Oregon, spanking is considered child abuse. In every state I know of, seat belts are required by law to be used. Some states require you to wear helmets on motorcycles. Do seat belts save lives? You bet. Do helmets protect heads? Absolutely. But I want to be the one to make that decision. I make decisions all the time that affect my life. But how long before that is out of my hands? We all think PETA is ridculous for saying that keeping animals as pets is cruel. But they have GAINED more people who believe this, not less. What are you going to do when someone introduces a bill that bans pet ownership? You say it won't happen. I say 60 yrs. ago, if you told folks what the gun laws are today, they would say that won't ever happen. I have no prob with laws that protect people from people doing stupid things. Like don't kill someone. Don't rob someone. Stop at the red light. But, I don't like laws that assume I will be a crimanal. I don't like laws that take my choices that affect me away from me. I wear my seat belt because as a truck driver, I have seen too many wrecks and what happens with or without seat belts. But it should be my choice. What about the regular person who knows of an accident that the person would have died had they been wearing a seat belt? Now they are convinced they should not wear one. But the law says phooie on your wishes, we insist you wear one. WE have decided you are safer. That's all I am saying.

You can not legislate people into being responsible citizens. Educate people. The ones that are caring and have more than two neurons firing in their heads will take heed. The ones that don't won't no matter how many laws you pass.

Hey, if you want to drive or ride without a seatbelt, ride a motorcycle or bike without a helmet, lick an electrical outlet, or whatever stupid thing you want, go for it.

But we're talking about making such a stupid decision for a child or pet. And, please, don't say that the kids and the dogs love riding loose in the back of the pick-up. Or the kids are happier standing up in the front seat. You are supposedly the responsible adult. If you refuse to guard their safety, someone obviously has to make you do it.

And, yes, if you risk the lives of those who depend on you for their safety, you are a criminal. And we can at least do our best to force you to be responsible - or make you pay if you refuse. Gee, maybe stopping at red lights should be optional?

Originally posted by nancy:

[QB]Hey, if you want to drive or ride without a seatbelt, ride a motorcycle or bike without a helmet, lick an electrical outlet, or whatever stupid thing you want, go for it.[QB]

I'd agree - after all, organ donations have to come from somewhere - except for the fact that hospitals aren't allowed to turn folks away for being extremely stupid. When they turn out not to have insurance, then taxpayers have to pick up the tab.

SC has only passed a seatbelt law (allowing an officer to stop someone for not wearing a seatbelt as a primary offense) in the past few months. Since it applies to everyone in the vehicle, I guess that takes care of the kids-in-the-bed-of-the-truck problem. Dunno about dogs, though - I see it all the time.

But back to the original topic, I think a letter to the editor campaign is a good one. I bet a lot of people pile Ole Shep into the truck bed just cause that's how Daddy and Grandaddy always did without really thinking about why one shouldn't. An information campaign might have an affect on those folks.

Nancy I absolutely agree on the child thing. They can not make that decision their self and there is absolutely too much proof and data to support that the use of seatbelts saves lives. I have no prob with that. I wasn't talking about kids. I was talking about dogs. And before anyone starts freaking out, I love my dogs with all my being. But they are still animals. If you pass a law about dogs in the back of pickups, fine. Then what about cattle? Sheep? Goats? Horses? Have you ever moved any of these animals? Were they properly restrained? Were airbags available to them? Yeah, it can get ridiculous. And when the guvment starts legislating our lives that's what happens. People in the US have no clue how free they actually are nor how much freedom they have willingly given up. All I am saying is that education for DOGS riding in back of pickups is a better option. For one thing, in summer, I think it is cruel to put a dog back there regardless of how well you restrain them because of the heat factor. As I stated in my other post. And as far as the remark of making stopping at stop signs optional, I already said I didn't have a prob with that as it DID envolve other people and their lives. If you put dogs in the same catagory as people then soon you will be required to have them seat belted inside with you. In a perfect world everyone would be safe from harm. But we do not live there in that fantasy world. What if someone decides rock/mountain climbing is unsafe? Or hang gliding? What if they decide that the Iditarod is too cruel to the dogs, after all, some of them die! Where do YOU draw the line on how much the guvment can dictate your life? Or is there a line? I don't know. All I know is that just since I became an adult I have watched right after right taken away because someone thought they were better at making MY decisions than I was. Look what happened with smoking. CA started it and now GA and several other states have joined in the smoking ban. Is cigarettes good for you? NO. Is being around smoke good when you don't smoke? NO. But you know what? If a restaurant allows smoking and it loses 80% of its customers BECAUSE of it, they will put a stop to it theirself. As it should be. They don't allow smoking in bars. Seriously, people sitting around for 5 or 6 hours drinking are not thinking of their health! Now I read that my home state of Texas is arresting people IN the bars for being drunk. Why? Because they MIGHT drive and hurt or kill someone. They might call a cab too, but that is beside the point. Look at the gun laws. It doesn't matter if every gun law on the books is totally unconstitutional. By gum, we made the world safer. Right! Ask England, Austrailia, and Canada how much their home invasions went up after their anti gun for everyone went into effect.

The whole point of all this is that if you educate people the MAJORITY of people will follow through. The ones that don't won't even with a law. I think it is bad for dogs and younguns to ride loose in the back of pickups for so many reasons. And I don't allow it. Writing letters like Kit is an excellent idea. I don't believe they should tell ME I can't ride back there if I choose to. But, there it is again, I don't like the idea of the guvment deciding my life from cradle to grave.

BTW Julie, I was just up in VA and I think they have reversed their thinking! I have a camper shell and had my 4 grandkids, my niece, her husband and their son in it. We were driving my nephew-in-law to his AIT school from boot camp. We were informed by the guards that we could not drive on base because it is against the law for anyone to be back there with no restraints. I asked is it just the posts rule or what? He informed me it was a VA law. We sure skidaddled out of state!