BC Boards

New Rescue Preferring Alone Time

I'm new to Collie ownership, i've had Jack for about a month now he's a 5 year old rescue. The past month have gone surprisingly smooth after the first week and a half or so but for the past couple of weeks Jack has been spending a lot of time alone and I thought i'd reach out and see if this is a common thing, something that is fine or something I should maybe be a little worried about? 

As a bit of background I am a home worker (have been for 2+ years) so i'm pretty much always in the house but spend a large portion of my day in my study. Jack has a bed in the study and the doors within the house are always open for him to roam (except my bedroom). The past few weeks he has worked out that while i'm at my desk his attention from me is going to be minimal which is good, but rather than staying in the study with me after 10 minutes or so he will come for a quick stroke and then take himself down to his bed in the living room where he will remain until I go through that room again. This can mean that throughout the day in chunks of 2-4 hours at a time he is alone overall for around 8-9 hours.

Currently his general day will look like 7:30am-9am morning time on the sofa with me, 9am-11:30am alone in the living room, 11:30am-1pm out for a walk, 1pm-5pm alone, 5pm-8pm fetch, walking, training time and then more time relaxing with me, 8pm-10pm alone, 10pm-11pm relaxing with me. I'm not massively worried currently as he seems fairly happy, if i'm up and about the house he will follow me round, when im with him he's always happy to be right there next to/on me and I haven't found any sores suggesting he is bored and biting himself. But theres that new dog owner whisper in my ear saying "are you doing right by him?".

Thanks for adopting a rescue dog. Jack is a lucky dog.

He sounds like he is doing fine. And he seems to have caught on to your routine quite rapidly. He is comfortable enough with you to want to be with you when appropriate, and then finds his own happy place when he is not 'needed'. Sometimes I think these dogs are part cat when they perch on things or go off to a bed in another room. LOL.

Count your lucky stars he doesn't pester you for attention - as can often be the case. He may change a bit more as time passes because one month is not very long for a rescue dog to acclimate to a new home. He may still be in the process of getting more comfortable and figuring you out.

41 minutes ago, gcv-border said:

Thanks for adopting a rescue dog. Jack is a lucky dog.

He sounds like he is doing fine. And he seems to have caught on to your routine quite rapidly. He is comfortable enough with you to want to be with you when appropriate, and then finds his own happy place when he is not 'needed'. Sometimes I think these dogs are part cat when they perch on things or go off to a bed in another room. LOL.

Count your lucky stars he doesn't pester you for attention - as can often be the case. He may change a bit more as time passes because one month is not very long for a rescue dog to acclimate to a new home. He may still be in the process of getting more comfortable and figuring you out.

Thanks @gcv-border really helpful to know! This is my first BC and you hear from everyone "oh I hope you're ready for them to never leave you alone and never relaxing" etc, so when it seems to be the opposite case it makes you think "was everyone talking rubbish or is my dog not happy". Something best looking into at these early stages :). 

He sure looks happy to me!  And he sure is handsome!  Your schedule sounds perfect.  The two BCs that I adopted were also not crazy, off-the-wall border collies.  One was more of a couch potato and had a wonderful, laid-back personality with people.  The comment I got many times from many people was "I'd get a border collie if someone would guarantee they would be as laid back as yours!" 

As for wanting alone time..... My Jester dog was like that when I first got him from a rescue at age two. He would come about once an hour and stick his head around the door jam to see if I were still there (really cute by the way) and then go off to the farthest darkest place he could find and stay there. If I had known then what I know now I could have perhaps gotten him to come out sooner, but I just left him alone, which is also an acceptable way to handle it, I think. He came immediately when called, but didn't hang around me. someone could come to the house and stay a while and leave without knowing I had a dog.

That was for the first year and a half or so, and when he came out on his own he became the most gregarious and friendly dog. Yours may follow this pattern or not - he's himself. But he looks happy so all is well.

My dog usually sleeps in the living room when I am in my sewing room. I felt a bit bad at first and wasn't sure if she maybe thought she wasn't allowed in or something. Especially since she is usually by my side if I sew in the living room. I think perhaps the sewing room is a bit too cramped for her. 
When I am at my mum's place she usually wants to lie in her bed in the hallway (where they sleep at night) after dinner, which means she is there all by herself as we keep the door closed to keep the cat out of the living room. The first time it felt a bit weird, she followed me to the bathroom and then didn't want to go back with me. I guess she was tired and just wanted some peace and quiet.
She is a very social dog (loves people a bit too much sometimes:P) and always happy to do things with me. Just sometimes she wants some peace and quiet - or that is my interpretation anyway. And I think it's great that she is able to decide that for herself instead of me having to enforce it. 
I see it as a good thing, although it does puzzle me sometimes. (Sometimes I just ask her "Are you sure?" :P if she doesn't budge I know she has made her decision).

He looks like a handsome happy boy:wub:

I would say it’s very normal, My youngest dog who I have had since he was 10 weeks old takes himself off to the bedroom and his private place when he thinks we are boring. My older dog curls up under the dining table and ignores us from there. Neither feel the need to hang with us all the time. Sometimes they chose to, sometimes not, it’s just what mood they are in. 

I have four border collies.  They are all different.  They all will seek attention at times, in different levels, but will all go off happily for hours to different locations around the house to snooze the afternoon away.  Mind you, if I get up and move around, at least one will be right there, and toilet breaks by myself are a distant memory.  My first BC was an incredibly laid back, sleep 23 hours a day if we are not going anywhere type dog, and the others have kind of taken their cues from him.