BC Boards

New boy, Finnegan

Hi, gang: new member here, so I have nothing to add but photos.  After having to put down our wonderful 15-year-old Australian Shepard, Higgins, we were lucky enough to find Finnegan.  He's 16 weeks old now.  He's from working/trialing stock in Carbondale Colorado but will be a pet in my active/outdoorsy family.  So far, he's nothing but a joy (but definitely needs CONSTANT supervision to keep him out of trouble).  Here are pics of Finn (and two of the dear departed Higgins, too)!

Finnegan 14 weeks.jpg

14 weeks eyeing ball.jpg

Finnegan 9 weeks.jpg

Finnegan at work.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

image2.JPG

Love all the photos! Finn is too cute and Higgins was gorgeous. Hopefully Finn will provide many new memories! And it looks like you might have a future veterinarian in the family?

Thanks for all your replies!  I'm glad the the photos of Higgins captured some of his outstanding personality.  He was one of the greats -- 100% trustworthy in any situation (from greeting elderly residence in nursing homes, to playing tug with my daughter and her friends, to multi-day wilderness treks and backcountry skiing adventures, he knew exactly how to behave).  Everyone who knew him loved that dog.  (I've attached a few others of him, just 'cuz).285318964_Higgins6.jpg.1462521c9865f9ec98ab294cbe5f47c5.jpg

After he died, I read Bones Would Rain From the Sky, which gave me so much insight into why Higgins was such a good dog.  We had, over the years, formed an indelible bond based on mutual respect and we genuine friendship.   If I can get half way to that relationship with Finnegan, it'll be worth it.

I would love to post new photos of Finnegan, but photographing border collie puppies has got to be one of life's great challenges!  I'll keep trying.

(Oh, and as for our little vet, that's my daughter and she LOVED patching up Higgins.  There's a series of photos of them hanging in our vet's office.)

IMAG0316 (1).jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He is very handsome indeed!

i just wanted to say I love the way you express your relationship with Higgins, that is what I had with my dearly departed Rosie and hope to find with our families’ new puppy as well. Thanks for that!

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to update the Finnegan photo thread now that the young lad is 1 year old (Happy Birthday, Finn!).  

Despite his intensity (and he is INTENSE!), he's a remarkably good family dog: great with my wife and 5-year-old daughter, and he comes to my law office most days and is very well behaved.  He's a good boy, and getting better each day.  (He is still pretty bad on a leash, but we're working on that).

Here he is on a recent hike and at his dad's ranch watching a herding event back in May.  There's also an action shot of him getting a sheep back in line.

411666489_Finnonastump.jpg.a6368324e48ab63b44685137ccd1c0fb.jpg

471567974_JustWatching(small).thumb.jpg.76deb770493d856e31126eb9ff1bea44.jpg

1695679413_GetinLine.jpg.546afbc0cf529711cd7cdd9cfff9e1c9.jpg  Good boy, Finnegan.

That looks familiar, except mine would have a frisbee or tug toy in his mouth! (Or, let's be honest, a file folder that he's about to shred...<_<)

That's a great looking dog, by the way.  I love the friendly, enthusiastic look in his (her?) eyes.  Getting meaningful eye contact like that is one of the reasons we love dogs so much, I suppose.

11 hours ago, albuquerquedan said:

That's a great looking dog, by the way.  I love the friendly, enthusiastic look in his (her?) eyes.  Getting meaningful eye contact like that is one of the reasons we love dogs so much, I suppose.

That is my boy Buddy.  He was a rescue at just under two years old; his previous owners had been about to put him down because they could not control him before the rescue got him.  I got the impression he had been shut up in a yard all day every day.

He is an attention seeker, and still has remnants of his habit of jumping and air snapping (enough that one of his nicknames is Budzilla) and he barks at cars, but he is just an energetic BC who needed a pack to play and wrestle with and a family to make him part of their everyday lives.

And he does happy expectant puppy dog eyes like no one's business.

• 1 year later...

A quick update, just because...  Finnegan is now 2.5 years and is a VERY satisfactory dog.  We're virtually inseparable and we get along great.  He'll still chew up a slipper here and there, but who among us are without our vices?!?  Anyway, here's a few photos from over the holidays.  I hope everyone is enjoying their canine companions as much as I am!

Happy New Year! 

IMG_20221224_213034.jpg

20221124_153622 (1).jpg

20221225_084404.jpg

On 1/5/2023 at 7:39 AM, amc said:

Gorgeous Finn!  Are you working him on sheep?

Happy New Year, to all on the Boards!

Amy

I haven't really had any time to get him on sheep lately, but we had a few training sessions early on.  My good friend is getting a small flock in the spring, so I think we'll get out more often.  Finnegan's littermates are on sheep, and one (Bridget Strang's Ace) is looking quite promising at trials.