BC Boards

O/T Update on me

Went to bone doc today. I basically shattered the ball at the top of my arm bone. This is due to me having ostriowhatever. My bones are too soft for them to use screws and pins on so they have to go in an whack off the top of the bone and stick a metal rod into the bone with a new ball at the end. I go into surgery Mon. I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't my hip! At least I can do more one handed than one legged!

Y'all start drinking that milk and/or take supplements!

The doc said even with surgery my arm won't have normal range of motion. He also said 4-6 mos. of therapy! Hey, does throwing a frizbee a million times a day count?

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.

I'm sorry to hear that. I know your arm will be ok. My prayers will be with you. It's cool to hear you up beat about it. I know it has to hurt like heck. Just remember how excited those dogs will be to get you back to good health. God Bless

:rolleyes: Geez Linda...that is rough! But you're one tough cookie, (and I mean that in the nicest way!) so I know you'll show those docs just how quickly you'll be tossing frisbees. Take care..I'll be sending good vibes your way!

I think my friend had a similar break and they had to do surgery and put a plate on (the ball broke off from the rest of the bone). Her arm is almost the same as it was before, just slightly less range of motion in the shoulder. I remember her doing lots of range of motion exercises and stuff to get it strong and moving well as soon as she was able to.

That sucks :rolleyes: . I'll keep you in my thoughts on Monday.

In the good news department...at least you've got the right kind of attitude to get through this, you've got us to keep you amused or make your hair stand on end if you're feeling grounded, and besides BCs LOVE playing soccer :D .

Hi Linda,

Just wanted to let you know that my Mum had the exact same type of injury to her arm. She tripped over her little Yorkie and sheared off the ball joint of her arm. Her surgery went well and she got back most of the full range of motion. She just can't reach up and touch the ceiling with that arm.

She had osteoporosis too. So, yes, everybody go right now and have a big glass of milk. I think I trip over one dog or the other every day.

I hate that surgery is needed, DG, but it sounds like you have a talented, capable doctor. I wish you the best for a speedy recovery! Give us an update Monday.

Osteoporosis runs in my family so I try to get plenty of calcium. (My mother and both aunts have to take Fosamax.) One of the easiest ways is good 'ol Tums. Take 2 Tums twice daily. I recommend the "Cocoa & Creme" flavor---delicious! Take 1 tan tablet and 1 white tablet for tastiest effect.

Sorry that you are having this health problem. Sounds like you have a good doctor and everything will be alright.

One question -- are you taking Fosamax or did your doc mention anything about that? I have been taking Fosamax for five years now and it has in fact reversed my bone loss to some extent.

Hector