BC Boards

Crate for the roof of your car

Tommy Coyote

safely and leave the inside of the car for the humans.

The DefeCrate

I have a really tiny car so I'm thinking this really might be the answer to my problems.

I have three dogs so I figure I can just hook all three crates securely with rubber tie downs. It will be kind of like a two decker bus. Have to be really careful on the turns.

Dogs will love the fresh air.

http://www.seamus2012.com/?p=205

Really Tommy Really?

I guess it might be ok but I sure wouldn't do it.

I think it'd freak my dogs out. If not, it would freak me out! To many what if's for me. None of my dogs stick their heads out the windows. If I roll them down they might stick the tip of their nose out, but will quickly tire of that and pull it back in. I think they're smart enough to know that they get the same smells without having their heads stuck out into the rushing air.

I have a tiny car but they will fit if we squeeze. Maybe one crate in the hatchback part but otherwise just seat covers for those muddy times.

Just can't wrap my head around putting a dog on top the car!

Guess I don't watch or listen to news that much. I thought it was a joke but then again....some people will do anything, not Tommy, that's why I had to ask really. Guess the jokes on me! ;)

need to watch or listen to more news...maybe

Guess I don't watch or listen to news that much. I thought it was a joke but then again....some people will do anything, not Tommy, that's why I had to ask really. Guess the jokes on me! ;)

No, no. It's not serious. Although the idea of a double decker car for dog people might be all right.

The deal about Romney and the poor dog that they put in a crate and strapped it to the top of their car has been all over the news. And when they got to Wisconsin the poor thing just ran away.

Skip the news... It's all bad anyway.

I read about it on Terrierman's blog. The part that I found really horrifying was that the dog was so terrified that it had diarrhea all over, and it got on the windows of the car. The possible future President's (doG forbid!) solution? - take the car through a drive-through car wash - dog-in-crate and all. :angry::o

I read about it on Terrierman's blog. The part that I found really horrifying was that the dog was so terrified that it had diarrhea all over, and it got on the windows of the car. The possible future President's (doG forbid!) solution? - take the car through a drive-through car wash - dog-in-crate and all. :angry::o

And he wasn't arrested for animal cruelty?

NOw I'm totally confused. I get the joke but now I have to ask did he really take the dog through th drive through carwash? I thought the whole thing was a joke...which part is not? Really???

It's the first I have heard of the drive thru car wash, I understood he hosed out the crate and the dog at a cash wash but not something he drove through. Still pretty sad, but not as abusive.

Sadder still to me was hearing (from Romney when he was criticized) how the dog "lived out his long happy life on a farm with relatives" which is code for "we gave him away because he was too much trouble."

EDIT: nevermind, I see it was from a satirical source.

From this morning.

:angry:

Mitt Romney shocked supporters at a rally in Metairie, Louisiana this morning when he brought up the topic of “crate-gate” and revealed the true motivations behind his actions. The infamous twelve-hour journey that the family dog, Seamus, took on top of Romney’s station wagon back in 1983 has dogged the candidate recently, with pressure and protests building in intensity as the campaign heats up.

“They won’t stop talking about our vacation with Seamus that happened almost 30 years ago,” Romney said to a group of about 400 supporters at Clearview Mall. “I’ll tell you what, let’s put this to rest right now. I like most dogs, I really do. I just didn’t particularly like Seamus. He was a pretty dog, but he constantly got on my nerves. I kept him around for the kids, but it got to the point where he just didn’t respect me. So I got a little innocent revenge. Yes, it’s true that he ran away when we finally arrived in Ontario, but I don’t regret what I did one bit. Frankly, he deserved it. Now can we just move on from this whole discussion?”

linky

• 4 weeks later...

Skip the news... It's all bad anyway.

Not that I am a fan of Mitt Romney, nor do I excuse his strapping the dog in the crate to the top of the car but:

- the dog did not get diarrhea because it was in a crate on top of the car. The dog got diarrhea in the car, and rather than delay the trip, they put the crate on top of the car with poor Seamus in it.

- the dog was not in the crate when they went through the car wash.

No one should ever wonder why there are so few "good" candidates for political office when any little thing you did in the past can becomes a major thing the voting public talks about you as opposed to your qualifications for the office.

Here we now have the "dog crated on roof of the car" vs. "eating dog meat" presidential campaigns.

What a waste of time. Do they think voters are that uninterested in the REAL issues or are the founding fathers still correct in their opinion of the populace's ability to elect a president?

No Mark they think we want to know all the shit about the other candidates and knowing that, we will forget about the real issues.

Sucks, that's why I don't watch much news. Sad commentary.

If I could watch real news about real issues these jerks are going to deal with I'd be way more inclined to watch or listen.

No Mark they think we want to know all the shit about the other candidates and knowing that, we will forget about the real issues.

Sounds the same to me as....

"A popular election in this case is radically vicious. The ignorance of the people would put it in the power of some one set of men dispersed through the Union, and acting in concert, to delude them into any appointment."
-- Delegate Gerry, July 25, 1787

"The people are uninformed, and would be misled by a few designing men."
-- Delegate Gerry, July 19, 1787

No one should ever wonder why there are so few "good" candidates for political office when any little thing you did in the past can becomes a major thing the voting public talks about you as opposed to your qualifications for the office.

Here we now have the "dog crated on roof of the car" vs. "eating dog meat" presidential campaigns.

What a waste of time. Do they think voters are that uninterested in the REAL issues or are the founding fathers still correct in their opinion of the populace's ability to elect a president?

Like I told my friend - you can't fix stupid, but you can vote it into office. :P

Dear Doggers,

Since I am a leftie and my 2012 choices are between a center right Democrat and a farther right Republican, neither of whom is dealing rationally or forthrightly with important, painful policy questions, their issue statements bore me senseless. Some voters vote based on their candidate’s religion or preferred sports team. After many years with dogs, the better (least bad?) dog man gets my vote.

President Barack Obama's dog was foolishly chosen and foolishly trained but probably Bo has been retrained by the secret service agents who care for him. Perhaps the children still interact with Bo, perhaps they are growing out of that age. In the stressful confusion of the White House, it is hard to think President or Mrs. Obama has much interaction with Bo. I cannot think Bo has as much importance in the President’s life than has he remembered to wear his flag pin?

If Mitt Romney has a dog today, I’d think he would have said so. As with the Obamas it’s hard to imagine what kind of life the dog might have. The Romney past is not encouraging. Famous Seamus had the runs because he was a countersurfer and he was ultimately rehomed. Well trained happy dog?

Dog on the roof? Not necessarily cruel, but dopey. I’ve made a 13 hour trip tp Canada with 2 adults, 2 active teens and four sheepdogs in the exact same station wagon the Romneys drove. It’s big -= as long as a Ford F 350, 8 foot bed, crew cab. There was plenty of room for the Romneys and Seamus. Put the LUGGAGE in the roof rack, Mitt!

Maybe I’ll let my dogs decide. If, like our candidates for County Sheriff, each man was to drive down our farm lane – sans entourage - and get out of their car, what would the dogs do?

Doubtless, as dog ignorant hombres, they would try to appease the three big, white, barking guard dogs. They’d proffer their hand so the nice doggy could sniff it. Barrack would hunker down but Mitt would bend, stiffly from the waist. Both would say “Nice Doggie”. Barack might get away with it. They'd nail Mitt.

Donald McCaig

Using our dogs' reactions to candidates makes as much sense to me as choosing strictly on party lines, or on single-issue stands.

It's gonna take a lot to win Buddy. Slow, cautious approach, lots of treats, numerous small but positive interactions, followed by gradual onset of trust.

Come to think of it, though - I think that's pretty much what I want in trust-building, too. :)

Mary