BC Boards

Aussiedoodle

And the AKC lobbies against even the most sensible legislation regarding puppy mills and encourages puppy mills to register with them

So....what's the prediction on how soon the AKC will start registering the 'doodles?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though it's an obvious way for AKC to make money, I don't ever see them accepting Doodles of any type into their registry. I have a breed (the Alaskan Klee Kai) that they won't consider because it's too "new" and it's been around since the 80's. Considering doodles are a mix of one breed to another, there is no way to ever classify them as a "purebred."

The doodles can stick with their fake registries, because the people who buy them are stupid enough to believe it means something.

FYI, a completely ridiculous amount of doodle dogs end up in shelters. It's testament not only to the morons who purchase them, but also the incredibly stupid nature of these dogs in general.... I have yet to meet a doodle cross of any type that I could even consider living with.

FYI, a completely ridiculous amount of doodle dogs end up in shelters. It's testament not only to the morons who purchase them, but also the incredibly stupid nature of these dogs in general.... I have yet to meet a doodle cross of any type that I could even consider living with.

I know maybe a dozen "doodles", most Lab or Golden crosses. I like exactly one, and she's from a shelter, the product of an accidental Golden x Poodle breeding. Must have been a toy poodle, because she's only about 20 lbs. Daisy is sweet, bright, great with kids, and even my stock dogs like her. Daisy appears to be the anomaly, though. The other "doodles" I've met have been obnoxious.

Het, at least they're not crossing Labs with Aussies! All that in-your-face energy at face level when they bounce! (this from someone who actually likes Labs)

So....what's the prediction on how soon the AKC will start registering the 'doodles?

Never. And there's a few main reasons why;

-First and foremost, they're not being bred like an actual breed. People breed a X dog and a Poodle together, resulting in a "doodle" or "poo" dog. This is the kind of "doodle/poo" that the people who buy them want, a fisrt gen one. They don't generally want the offspring of a doodle x doodle. And if it were even remotely possible that the AKC approve doodles, they would have to be doodle x doodle offspring.

-They don't have legitimate bloodlines.

-There are WAY too many different types of "doodle/poo" dogs. Goldendoodle, labradoodle, maltipoo, yorkiepoo, you name it. Hell, I could breed my Border Collie and a poodle together and call it a Colliedoodle and I'm sure the puppies would sell like hotcakes.

-There are no legitimate breeders. Anyone who has done enough research, and had enough time and experiance breeding dogs, to be even close to being a decent breeder, will have been educated along the way about how these dogs aren't actual breeds.

-What happens if they accept goldendoodles and not yorkiepoos? I gaurentee you, all hell would break loose.

-People would be very unhappy with the AKC when they go to buy their hypoallergenic puppy and realize that it's not, actually, hypoallergenic.

Just to name a few reasons.

I'm happy know that the cons outweigh the pros when it comes to registering these dogs as breeds. Even the AKC is smart enough to figure that stuff out.

Never. And there's a few main reasons why;

-First and foremost, they're not being bred like an actual breed. People breed a X dog and a Poodle together, resulting in a "doodle" or "poo" dog. This is the kind of "doodle/poo" that the people who buy them want, a fisrt gen one. They don't generally want the offspring of a doodle x doodle. And if it were even remotely possible that the AKC approve doodles, they would have to be doodle x doodle offspring.

-They don't have legitimate bloodlines.

First, I do not follow the labradoodle/goldendoodle/whatever-doodle industry since there is nothing attractive about those dogs to me - other than the fact that they are living, breathing animals with feelings. (Yes, I believe dogs have feelings even though there are still people out in the big, wide world that would argue that point.) So I am just speaking in general terms here.

I'm pretty sure that this topic (a new breed) has been covered before but FWIW: with enough generational breeding and a specific goal (i.e. a breed standard), it is not that hard to produce a new breed. New breeds are usually the result of crossing 2, 3 or more unique breeds together. From what I have read, there are labradoodle breeders who are breeding F1s and F2s and F3s to each other to achieve what they believe should be the 'standard' labradoodle (i.e. they are 'fixing' the phenotype) Not sure where I heard it, but when reading about a group that was developing a new canine breed (I forget which one), the AKC required at least 10 generations out from the original cross before considering it as a new breed. This is in addition to a written breed standard and incorporation of a parent breed club and other administrative hoops.

When developing a new breed, all bloodlines are legitimate until the registry is closed.

Jovi

Very, very sad that people are doing this.

And, yes, there are "colliedoodles". BCs and standard poodles --they are breeding them in England, I know for certain. Probably someone is doing it here as well. I like poodles and love BCs and hate to see that done to either one.

As far as I am concerned that breeding facility classifies as a puppy mill even if the dogs are kept clean and have enough room because they are being USED for breeding and then discarded when she "gets what she wants" out of them. That is utter lack of respect to the dogs, n operation clearly based on a profit motive alone, and so I call it a PM.

What else is very sad is how many times I have heard in the last year someone speak of a somethingPoo as a "Breed", or someone else say "I heard there's a breed that is this mixed with that". I try gently to educate these folks, but probably speak too strongly about it a lot of the time. There's nothing wrong with mutts at all. But I just hate it for people to breed mutts deliberately, or for the uneducated public to buy into this so whole-heartedly. :angry:

There are poodles I like. There are labs I like. Goldens too. I haven't met a single doodle I would even remotely consider owning.

I do think the original Australian lines breed true, but they are extremely rare in the USA. Lately I've been seing a lot of F2 dogs, so it seems that the US breeders are getting into the next generation of dogs and some are choosing to try to breed doodle x doodle rather than seek more purebred dogs and bitches.

I had my tongue firmly placed in cheek when I posted this. It was more a commentary about the AKC's business model than anything.

I'm certain someone is probably lobbying for this, though... :blink:

I'm pretty sure that this topic (a new breed) has been covered before but FWIW: with enough generational breeding and a specific goal (i.e. a breed standard), it is not that hard to produce a new breed. New breeds are usually the result of crossing 2, 3 or more unique breeds together. From what I have read, there are labradoodle breeders who are breeding F1s and F2s and F3s to each other to achieve what they believe should be the 'standard' labradoodle (i.e. they are 'fixing' the phenotype) Not sure where I heard it, but when reading about a group that was developing a new canine breed (I forget which one), the AKC required at least 10 generations out from the original cross before considering it as a new breed. This is in addition to a written breed standard and incorporation of a parent breed club and other administrative hoops.

When developing a new breed, all bloodlines are legitimate until the registry is closed.

Jovi

Even after 10 generations, I still can't see these dogs becoming a legit breed. While it's good that there's a few breeders who care enough to want to have it be legit (i.e. crossing doodle x doodle) there's still a lot of issues. One of the biggest, I think, is that this breed doesn't have a real purpose. The origional designer dog was bred to be a hypo-allergenic seeing eye dog, but it didn't work. Since then, people claim to breed them to be hypo-allergenic, even though I'm sure they're in full awareness that they're not.

http://www.ohmidog.com/2010/05/04/labradoodle-inventor-regrets-what-he-started/

Also, I don't know how to add another quote into here...But in response to "I had my tongue firmly placed in cheek when I posted this. It was more a commentary about the AKC's business model than anything.

I'm certain someone is probably lobbying for this, though..."

Oh, I'm sure way more than just "someone" is, unforotunately :/ I bet that a good number of the breeders are going for an AKC registration with these dogs.

Adri

So a friend of mine got a pupt from this place.

http://pecanplacepoodlesandpoos.com/ourhomepage.html

The 'breeder' talked a good talk and sold her a 7 week old pup. She claims it will never shed and is a good family dog. So when I got home, I had to look up the 'breeder' and see what she spent $500 on....

all I can say is wow......the 'breeder' had her convinced that F1 dogs are the ONLY one to get as all the purebreeds are genetic nightmares etc....

Hello from the breeder that all of you are trashing and who none of you actually know ONE thing about personally. How dare you accuse me of all the ludicrous things that you have without EVER even talking to me personally or owning one of my dogs or visiting my KENNEL. You all can read my response on my website (which you all have so freely shared as if you actually know something about it). Thank goodness your administrator has finally given me the option to respond to your unfounded slander of me and my kennel. Thank you also to the few educated folks on this site that at least, if not defending me, have shown some understanding of breeding practices and of 'hybrid vigor'.

I'd like to also state that I own an almost 14 year old Border Collie that has had severe, painful, hip dysplasia since he was two years old. He sheds buckets of hair daily and I could put him the room with ten of my Aussiedoodles and he would shed 10X more than all of them put together.

I have also NEVER tried to convince anyone that my dogs were the ONLY one to get and my love of purebreds is abundantly evident all over my website in my bio, etc. that states that I've bred and shown AKC dogs for almost half of my life. Some idiot further on in this discussion even goes so far as say that my AKC friends from my active showing days where AKC puppy mills. Again I say, HOW DARE YOU ALL. You don't know anything about what you are spouting about me and/or my friends or my practices.

Please better spend your time educating yourself about genetics and playing with your dogs least somebody unkown to you should accuse you of neglecting them.

In case anybody missed the MANY mentions of my website and they want to read my full reply, it is: pecanplacepoodlesandpoos.com

Even though it's an obvious way for AKC to make money, I don't ever see them accepting Doodles of any type into their registry. I have a breed (the Alaskan Klee Kai) that they won't consider because it's too "new" and it's been around since the 80's. Considering doodles are a mix of one breed to another, there is no way to ever classify them as a "purebred."

The doodles can stick with their fake registries, because the people who buy them are stupid enough to believe it means something.

Actually, I think the Border ranks at least in the top ten of all dogs given up at shelters. I think I see one at least weekly to give away in my area.

Hello from the breeder that all of you are trashing and who none of you actually know ONE thing about personally. How dare you accuse me of all the ludicrous things that you have without EVER even talking to me personally or owning one of my dogs or visiting my KENNEL. You all can read my response on my website (which you all have so freely shared as if you actually know something about it). Thank goodness your administrator has finally given me the option to respond to your unfounded slander of me and my kennel. Thank you also to the few educated folks on this site that at least, if not defending me, have shown some understanding of breeding practices and of 'hybrid vigor'.

I'd like to also state that I own an almost 14 year old Border Collie that has had severe, painful, hip dysplasia since he was two years old. He sheds buckets of hair daily and I could put him the room with ten of my Aussiedoodles and he would shed 10X more than all of them put together.

I have also NEVER tried to convince anyone that my dogs were the ONLY one to get and my love of purebreds is abundantly evident all over my website in my bio, etc. that states that I've bred and shown AKC dogs for almost half of my life. Some idiot further on in this discussion even goes so far as say that my AKC friends from my active showing days where AKC puppy mills. Again I say, HOW DARE YOU ALL. You don't know anything about what you are spouting about me and/or my friends or my practices.

Please better spend your time educating yourself about genetics and playing with your dogs least somebody unkown to you should accuse you of neglecting them.

In case anybody missed the MANY mentions of my website and they want to read my full reply, it is: pecanplacepoodlesandpoos.com

I quoted the whole thing so that everyone else doesn't have to try and read through the obnoxious font.

To the poster; Thanks for posting this. You have obviously changed my mind about dogs. In fact, now I want one of your Aussiedoodles. Do they come in the mini size? Cuz that's my favorite. <_<

Thank goodness your administrator has finally given me the option to respond

There's no "finally" about it. You registered for the Boards yesterday morning. We have lacked power and web access here for the last few days thanks to Hurricane Irene, and I approved all pending registrations, including yours, as soon as I could after power was restored.

In your posts here, please refrain from flaming. "How dare you," "unfounded slander," etc., is not flaming, even if it may not be very persuasive, but calling another poster an "idiot" is flaming, because it is abuse without content.

reinmanpopcornev2.jpg Popcorn, anyone?

Pecan place, I used to live not far from you. Several of the largest and worst Border Collie puppy mills were in the area, so yes, plenty landed in the local shelters. However, there was not a higher % of Border Collies to other breeds. In fact, designer breeds were becoming quite common. Chiweenies (cihuahua x dach) were the desinger mutt of choice when I left a year ago. They were a dime a dozen in rescue. There were also plenty of doodles and I saw how overwhelmed the area doodle rescue had already become.

If you want people to listen and respond in a civilized manner it helps to post using normal sized font. Otherwise it just makes you look kind of crazy. Please also keep in mind that the dog culture in your area is very different than dog culture on the coasts. What may be normal to you can horrify people coming from a different background.

reinmanpopcornev2.jpg Popcorn, anyone?

Not sure if my stomach is ready for popcorn. Got any air-sick bags? And earplugs! Ouch! 24 pt bolded font. I've never heard anyone scream here before. Yikes...

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Yea, verily, and with too much (hybrid?) vigor.

There's no "finally" about it. You registered for the Boards yesterday morning. We have lacked power and web access here for the last few days thanks to Hurricane Irene, and I approved all pending registrations, including yours, as soon as I could after power was restored.

In your posts here, please refrain from flaming. "How dare you," "unfounded slander," etc., is not flaming, even if it may not be very persuasive, but calling another poster an "idiot" is flaming, because it is abuse without content.

My apologies for ignoring your 'plight' of which I was unaware. Just goes to show how bad 'assumptions' can be doesn't it.

And I do contend that slander is the proper legal term for what is going on on your site. I don't have an attorney on speed dial, as I do my veterinarian, but I'll have to check this one out I think. I do also believe abuse can be exemplified by referring to a persons' friends as AKC puppy mills and to referring to ones' husband in disparaging terms. Has one person posting here ever met me or any of my friends or my husband in order to verify any of what they are saying against us? Not Doodles in general, but me personally. We wouldn't want to censure their freedom of speech now would we. Accept my apologies if I am highly offended by this whole forum and the assumptions and ignorance that just seems to be proliferating. At least some of your posters have the decency to state that what they are posting is 'only' their opinion and that they really don't know much about 'Doodles' whatsoever. I guess in your little world you see nothing wrong with calling an unknown individual a puppy mill or assuming that their kennel has no veterinary care whatsoever, with no foundation in fact. If you are an indication of the management here then this makes everything I've read here more understandable. I can just assume that you find the term 'puppy mill' or 'money grubbing' less offensive then 'idiot' and that is your right I suppose.

Good luck with your dogs and your site.

Pecan place, I used to live not far from you. Several of the largest and worst Border Collie puppy mills were in the area, so yes, plenty landed in the local shelters. However, there was not a higher % of Border Collies to other breeds. In fact, designer breeds were becoming quite common. Chiweenies (cihuahua x dach) were the desinger mutt of choice when I left a year ago. They were a dime a dozen in rescue. There were also plenty of doodles and I saw how overwhelmed the area doodle rescue had already become.

If you want people to listen and respond in a civilized manner it helps to post using normal sized font. Otherwise it just makes you look kind of crazy. Please also keep in mind that the dog culture in your area is very different than dog culture on the coasts. What may be normal to you can horrify people coming from a different background.

You are right, the Border Collies in this area are not something to brag about. Sorry about the fonts, I do not have the best eyesite and I enlarge all my computer fonts accordingly so I can read them better myself. I will try to use my 'inside font' in the future.

I am doing my best to breed the best doodles X doodles that I can so they don't end up in shelters which is what so infuriated me to see two pages of bashing from people who know nothing about what they are talking about (me and my kennel and friends and even my husband). I agree that some understanding should be applied in both directions but that is easier said from the back side of something and also if you are not the intended subject of the barbs. I know many bad, and good Border Collies and would never participate in something like what has transpired on this site in the past couple of days, it is just unfounded and had a friend not informed me of what was being said about me I would have no option of responding and clearing up these assumptions so many of you are making. This is not only cruel, it is probably criminal as it could ruin my reputation as a responsible breeder with 40 years experience.

Not sure if my stomach is ready for popcorn. Got any air-sick bags? And earplugs! Ouch! 24 pt bolded font. I've never heard anyone scream here before. Yikes...

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Yea, verily, and with too much (hybrid?) vigor.

Nice glasses...

So I guess it's now my turn to 'assume' from your comments that it is your opinion that a person should have no objection to someone bashing almost everything they love repeatedly. My dogs, my kennel, my friends, my husband...I'm surprised somebody didn't comment that my grandbabies were hideous and that I was exploiting them. I guess also the fact that I find this cruel and offensive is, in your mind, further proof that your comments were either founded or accurate in any way.

BTW the fonts only said they were a seven, which is about half what I have my computer fonts set you so you can further continue to ridicule for the fact that I was unaware of this. Enjoy yourself..at my expense...again.

Archived