BC Boards

i swore it would never happen :(

So am thinking of moving closer to school, work, and agility. My issue is my pets. I found a potential place but they don't accept dog over 20-25lbs. I think I could get Cressa in but not Troy. I have family member willing to watch Troy for me and I have a couple friends willing to watch him. If I am able to get the place I am hoping to still being able to get Troy a couple days a week.

Has anyone ever dealt with leaving a dog 4-5 days with family for an extended period(till I am out of school). Troy is 100% mama boy, Velcro dog. That wants to be with me 100% of the time. Is it feasible? Issue that could occur? Summer I might be able to have him spend the night more days a week.

The main different Troy would experience is me not being with him. And only being with me a couple days a week if we are lucky.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. This is difficult for me to understand. I have rented with my dogs in two different states, and I simply wouldn't move into a place that didn't allow them. Especially since you don't have to leave your current, legal place.

ETA: I think it would confuse the heck out of him to have you popping in and out of his life all the time, particularly if he is so bonded to you.

Yep, I'd keep looking for another place, too. After volunteering in rescue, I have to say that one of the lamest excuses for giving up a dog to a rescue (or worse yet, kill shelter) is, "we're moving". I find it extremely hard to believe that people can't find ANY dog friendly housing...

ETA: Sorry, that was a knee-jerk reaction. To answer your question, personally I think it would affect Troy to have his situation change like that. Would he eventually get over it, yes, but it seems awfully unfair if there is an alternative.

I agree with the other advice to keep looking for a different place to rent.

I lived in your area for several years, and I remember it being not the strongest region, economically. As a result, it was quite a buyer's market for housing, even for renting or leasing. I would expect, then, that you would be able to find someplace affordable that also allows you to keep your family intact.

I've rented with 4+ dogs for 11 years, many of those years as a student. It takes longer to find a place (start looking earlier), references and making sacrifices (maybe not your first choice neighborhood), but it can be done. You will probably not be able to get a "luxury" apartment, but you should be able to find something that is functional.

Honestly I'd no more consider moving to a place that wouldn't accept my dog than one that wouldn't accept my kid, and that ain't hyperbole. KUP and let us know what happens, I really hope Troy can stay with you. He always sounds like such a sweet guy.

I have a panic reaction just thinking about having to farm my dog out to someone else. Yeesh!

I always sound like an old fogey when I say this, I know, but... This is the reason I think school-age people should wait before getting dogs. There's simply SO MUCH in your life that is unsettled, and you should be able to change states, have crappy SOs, break up with them, take a new job across country, etc. etc.. All that stuff is great for young humans but terrible for dogs.

If you can handle keeping this place and your dogs' stable life until you get out of school, then I say handle it. I'd say Troy would be worth the sacrifice.

Mary

My family has never even considered housing that refused pets, when searching it's simply apart of the criteria, it's not even about the dog's feelings, it's about the fact that we know we have a dog and cats. Why would we consider a place that didn't allow pets anymore than we'd consider a place that didn't have enough room for us, or didn't have a garage for the car. It goes a long with pet ownership, basically as long as we have them they're stuck with us unless court mandates otherwise.

It's funny it never even crossed my mind that people would leave their dogs because they were moving until a few years back when I saw an ad that said, "Moving, dog needs home."

Some people have said that people change their mind when they meet they animals. Our place was strictly no pets but with a pet deposit and meeting our dogs they didn't have a problem with it. Most places don't allow pets because other people allow their pets to literally tear the house apart. (I know my mother had to replace all the interior door and much of the dry wall because she allowed her min pin destroy them)

There's simply SO MUCH in your life that is unsettled, and you should be able to change states, have crappy SOs, break up with them, take a new job across country, etc. etc..

I got my first dog when I was 19 and shortly there after went out on my own never to return. I traveled the country back and forth, slept where ever a sleeping bag could fit and many places it didn't. Once woke up in a cow pasture and I don't drink or do drugs. It just looked like a good place to sleep (it was midnight, the stars were bright and I really didn't see any cows at the time- thought it was a hay field). The dog and I were even offered hospitality by the New Mexico State Police (no charges filed). Eventually I rented a place that allowed dogs and some time down the road, bought my own place. That first dog was there for all of it and is now buried out back. I don't think that she suffered for it as her needs were always met before mine. Generally speaking, I think dogs adapt far better to situations than we think they do as they tend to deal with things far less emotionally than we.

Would I recommend to a young person to do the things that I have done? No, not in today's world. Would it have been easier without the dog? Yes. Would I do it all again? Yes....except the part with the New Mexico State Police.

I couldn't do it. Unless I was in danger of bankruptcy and starvation, I simply could not leave my mama's boy, Nick. He's not Velcro dog, and he gets along without me when I go somewhere alone, (I'll be 2 weeks in the UK in April) but he pines. And he's unhappy. And I just couldn't do that to him.

You know your own situation, but if it were me, I'd have to keep looking. It's not worth it to me, to put Nick through that kind of unhappiness and stress. And I know I'd be miserable, too.

I do wish you luck.

Cheers ~

Gloria

Maybe didn't explain it? Troy would be living with my sister where we already live. Living with dogs he already live with since he was a puppy.

We recently had a family of 5 move in with us maybe back in Oct 2010... not my decision. And Cressa doesn't like kids at all Troy has no issue with them. They have 3 kids under 7. They wont be moving out anytime soon. Nor do they get dogs or border collies.

I was hoping I could just commute still. But it adding up too much. Over 200miles a week and over 70 in gas. I am going to school 4 days and working 3-4 days.

I am still looking it was just an idea I was having. Just wondering how other people did it or how their dog handle it.

Really hoping to move closer to school and I already have a job lined up. I think it would be best for me and my dogs. I wouldn't be abandoning Troy at all. And it not a permanent living situation. Troy is too much my baby to leave him behind for long. And anyway will be competing with him in the summer and camping with him.

He is used to sleeping in new areas. We go camping at summer trials 2-3 weekend. We go to dog show in other town that required us to sleep in hotels. Spend nights at other people house with him without issue. Sent him to a friends house a couple of time for 3nights and he was fine. As long as I get to spend time with him I don't think he will have too much issue.

It is a bit different since you and Troy are already living there.

There were 2 times when I had to keep my DD's dog but they were exceptional circumstances. She went to Iraq and then to 5 months more AF training. Pach did fine but in his old age it got harder and harder for me to dogsit. For the last year or so DD had a job that takes her out of town at least once a month for over a week at a time. The last 6 months of Pach's life were very hard on him. He missed his Momma very badly and didn't get along anymore with my dogs. Probably more my dogs fault than his but all I can say is he wasn't near as happy as he had been when she was in college or traveling all over with him side by side.

If you have to do this I'm sure Troy will survive but it isn't optimal for him IMO. But, because he already lives there it would be easier than taking him somewhere new.

Each and every time my DD left Pach with me, you could tell he was not a happy camper.

In a way, I truly feel that it shortened his life compared to his sister (who I have), she has never been anywhere but with me except for a few weeks of her life. She is a much better adjusted dog than her brother and they didn't start out that way. Pach was the easier going dog, but in old age...things are not the same.

How old is Troy?

All I can say is where I live, so do my dogs, If not we won't live there. But I'm older and they are my family. For me, you just don't leave your family cause it's convenient. Maybe you can keep looking for a new place that will take both your dogs, Or could you have a meet and greet with your new landlords and show them what kind of dogs you have and that they would be no problems. DD paid an extra 50 dollars a month in her last place to have Pach there, she was happy to pay the extra, and I'm sure Pach appreciated it.

Have you actually put a pencil to the numbers? From the little bit of info you posted, it is costing you $70 a week in gas to commute.......so say $300 a month for gas. Can you really find/rent a place closer to school/work where that same #300 will cover your rent, utilities and living expenses? Is it truly gong to be less expensive if you move? I agree with others who have posted, if my dogs aren't welcome then I'm not staying there either. Good luck whatever you decide.

And yes already put pen to paper.

Just a word of warning. You always underestimate how much it is going to cost to live on your own until you actually do it. When I was about your age I moved into my own place. I had done careful calculations based on rent, utilities, gas, groceries, etc. According to the math it should have cost about half as much to live on my own as it would to stay on campus (the dorms were crazy expensive). In reality it was closer to the same cost once all was said and done. Worth it to have my dogs with me, but I didn't save any money.

ISTM you've already made up your mind and are seeking confirmation for you choice and not actually opinions?

Even if it's a place Troy is used to being, do you really want to leave him behind with a family who is clueless about "dogs or border collies"? What will happen to Troy while you're not there to look out for his interests (I realize you're not there part of the time now, but at least you are there daily to keep order in your dogs' lives among people who don't know anything about dogs)?

I second the person who said you should try to negotiate Troy into wherever you end up. If something happens with Troy at the old place (say he bites a child), will you be able to forgive yourself for leaving him behind?

I just moved with 9 border collies. Yes, it took luck, and time, and friends helping me look, but I found a place that doesn't mind the dogs (and cats) in the house. The only rule is, if they damage it, I have to fix it. Seems fair enough to me.

You say Troy's life won't be much different than it is now, but the fact that you will be around a lot less is A LOT different for him.

Then again, I happen to be among that group of people who *always* outs my animal's needs before my own. I think it's a requirement of animal ownership.

J.

I assume you will be making trips to visit Troy, did you calculate the gas money for that? Tt seems to me that you really won't be saving much if you see Troy more than once a week. If you really do want to make this move, perhaps you should consider re-homing Troy. I know that would be hard to do, but it might be the best for him. Personally I would keep looking.

I agree with those that suggest taking the dogs to meet the landlord. I've gotten into "no pets" situations with a Doberman, a cockatoo and a cat because I was able to supply affidavits that my pets were quiet, (yes, I really had a quiet cockatoo!) clean and well behaved. References from previous roomies/renters (they don't have to know your landlord was your family) really make a difference. I also offer a damage deposit of several hundred dollars.

I know dogs can adapt to a lot, but if your dog does clash with the kids at your current home, you may find yourself in a situation where he has to leave there and you are in a place where you can't take him. What then? Rescue? Shelter? Not a good scenario.

I also think rehoming is a option. He would have an adjustment period, but then things would stabilize. Gotta think of what's best for the dog. I've had to give up dogs a couple of times. They were fine. I missed them, but they were happy. That's what counts most. After all, sometimes things beyond our control force us to give up pets. As long as they go to good places it's all the same to them whether you gave them up for financial reasons or if they got rehomed because you got hit by a bus.

I agree with the suggestion to look for a place where you can have both dogs. Also, yes it is truly surprising how costs add up when you live on your own. Plan to budget in a good amount more than you think you'll need. And don't forget renter's insurance which too many people do.

If you're traveling back and forth to see Troy and take him to class (will you stll be training and competing with him?), your gas savings may be much less to offset your other expenses.

If you want to move out for other reasons -- like the family that moved in-- I understand but still think it will be more expensive than you realize and leaving Troy behind is going to change your relationship with him. That doesn't mean he'll be miserable of course. Dogs can be wonderfully adaptable. As long as he has someone giving him attention and affection, he may be perfectly happy bonding to a new primary person. Or not. It depends on the dog and the care he receives.

Have you considered buying a different car? Unless I'm missing something it seems you're only getting 10-12 MPG. I drive over 150 miles a week for school/work/dog activities and I'm spending less than half of what you are.

My dogs are a major consideration in everything I do. It's the reason I've always got 3 dogs in the back of my car at school and get them out to work with them on campus.

But I'm with the majority here. I wouldn't move into a place and leave my dogs behind. Especially when you're talking about a BC in a chaotic house. The one exception might be leaving Kenzi at my folks place with my little sister. And only because those two absolutely adore each other and I am positive they'd be fine. If there was any doubt, forget it.

Okay, so I'm seeing this. A family of 5 moved in with you and your sister, including 3 children. You wish (understandably) to move out on your own and find a place that's more cost-efficient to live. All good.

But. You're going to leave Troy behind with those 5 extra people, and only see him, what, two or three days a week? Because to avoid the daily commute, you'd want to cut down your driving, so it seems you wouldn't want to replace the commute to work with one to visit your dog.

However, by leaving Troy with those 5 extra people, no matter how much they may like him or how good he is with children ... you are leaving him in a situation that's outside your control, You are not there every day to make sure those 5+ people continue to maintain the sort of order he's used to. If the kids teach him to beg, if he learns to jump up or play rough, if he starts barking or digging or any number of unwanted behaviors simply because he's left without your supervision or support in a potentially chaotic environment ... I don't think it's a good thing.

I don't see how he can continue to be the same dog he is now, if your daily influence is removed, and replaced by whatever benign carelessness or friendly oversight that very busy household may unwittingly practice. Especially if those 5 (!!!) extra people are clueless about dogs. What if they forget to close a gate, and he gets out and gets hit by a car??

Your call ... but I don't think leaving Troy in that environment sounds very good.

Best of luck.

~ Gloria

I've lived in 3 different states, in 10 different houses/apartments. One was a house that I owned with my ex but the rest were all rentals. I currently live in a rental with 4 dogs: 3 border collies and 1 chihuahua. All of my dogs have resumes. I write out their accomplishments, including competition titles, demo info they have done, certifications, etc; attach a cute picture as well as copies of newspaper pictures of them and advertisements that use them; and have 3 letters of recommendation from previous landlords stating that the dogs are quiet, non-destructive, crate trained, etc. I've never had a landlord turn us away.

I also volunteer a pet deposit and make sure they understand that if the dogs do anything to the house I will pay to have it fixed.

"It" doesn't have to happen. I believe that we always have a choice. I was also a university student with a border collie. I always found a place to live that would take her. I may not have ended up in the neighbourhood that i wanted or in the perfect house/condo but when i brought her into my life, i made the decision to look after her no matter what (her previous owners had a baby and dumped her on my in-laws farm and said that they would come and get her when the baby was older-wtf?). You owe it to your guy to either stick it out with him and find a place that will accept him or re-home him to someone that will be there for him everyday. It sounds to me like the situation that you are considering is the worst possible situation for a dog, especially a bonded one: he will never know from day to day if he will see you or when you will come back. That is a lot of anxiety.

Archived