BC Boards

i swore it would never happen :(

i think olivia's idea is fabulous! how clever. i know if i were renting a home, i would be persauded. i'm just very glad i'm no longer part of the rental scene. i've warned my daughter in college numerous times-do not get a dog while in school. i wish i had listened to that advise when i was in college.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when i brought her into my life, i made the decision to look after her no matter what

This. I know a lot of people don't feel this way, but I believe that I have a lifetime responsibility to any animal that comes under my care. They become part of the family and decisions are made as such, which may not always be convenient. I think we have a responsibility to be good stewards of those we care for. I don't know all of the details of your situation, but it seems there must be some other options--maybe a different place to live, or just consider the gas expense part of the territory of pet ownership for now, or get a different car...lots of good suggestions for other solutions. I hope you find a path that works for both of you!

I got my first dog when I was 19 and shortly there after went out on my own never to return. I traveled the country back and forth, slept where ever a sleeping bag could fit and many places it didn't. Once woke up in a cow pasture and I don't drink or do drugs. It just looked like a good place to sleep (it was midnight, the stars were bright and I really didn't see any cows at the time- thought it was a hay field). The dog and I were even offered hospitality by the New Mexico State Police (no charges filed). Eventually I rented a place that allowed dogs and some time down the road, bought my own place. That first dog was there for all of it and is now buried out back. I don't think that she suffered for it as her needs were always met before mine. Generally speaking, I think dogs adapt far better to situations than we think they do as they tend to deal with things far less emotionally than we.

Would I recommend to a young person to do the things that I have done? No, not in today's world. Would it have been easier without the dog? Yes. Would I do it all again? Yes....except the part with the New Mexico State Police.

Hey, what part of New Mexico :) ?

Short answer - find another place to rent.

Long answer - any time I have tried to rent with animals in tow (especially dogs) I created an "information" packet for the owners/lease agents detailing my dog's individual characteristics (age, sex, color, ect), including a page of current vet information, a copy of their city license, and a page(s) detailing their performance and/or working career. I also included a page with references re: my dogs temperament. Lastly, I offered to allow them to meet my dogs in person prior to approval.

Something as little as a CGC can go a long way in ensuring your dog is approved in a rental situation.

The package idea was actually something I created after a neighbor who rents out houses to people with animals on a conditional basis. They mentioned that having information all up front would impress them and make their decision a little easier.

Lol thanks for the benefit of the doubt Julie. I am actually still looking. I already have my dogs portfolio with titles and vet info and am working on getting them reference and picture. That one place is still a possibly but will be trying to find a place that more suit my needs. Also my dad is now talking about coming with me. So at this moment am not sure what is actually going to happen.

To other. I don't have a vehicle I am currently allowed to use my sister 4runner. And the bus isn't an option.

Don't move in that house simple as that. Keep looking.

I'm a student, I got my boy 2 years into university, as soon as I left on campus housing. Actually the day I left, is the day I picked up Jude. It's completely possible to find housing that allow pets, and housing that doesn't allow them where you convince them to let you. I think the excuse of "i'm moving" and giving up a dog is dumb. Sure, leaving them with family for a couple months happens, but a huge lenght of time. No way.

As a student I know it's completely possible to do it. I convinced a big-time landlord around here, who has at least 10+ prime properties, in university area, who doesn't allow pets. Didn't take much either. I typed up about Jude, my dedication to my dog, and I told the truth about his size and activity level --50 expected pounds and typical BC (and my boy was only 6 months at the time). I offered to pay an extra damage deposit (didn't have to). I told him Jude was a would be agility and flyball dog, meaning lots of obedience and work is done with him. When all was said and done I ended up with an apartment ACROSS the street from the univeristy. PRIME location. He did all this without meeting my dog, until after I moved him.

So, in short. I wouldn't leave my dog behind for an extanded period. ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't up and ditch the dog. You can find a place that'll let you keep them both. Landlords love security deposits and "non-refundable pet fees" - I know, as a landlord myself. Add the suggested pamphlets and paperwork and you should be able to convince most landlords. Just be savvy and don't be in a rush.

Here's a horror story for you about leaving a BC with family:

I left my BC with my parents for three weeks due to work demands. When I was gone, he became SUPER destructive and downright evil. And he loathes my mother, expressed in the following ways:

He dug up every square inch of her flower beds, dug a three foot trench around the ENTIRE house, killed ALL of her potted plants and EVERYTHING she planted in the garden he dug up. All of her potato crop went "missing" from the garden and wound up on the back lawn, chewed all up... All day he'd "molest" her barn cats, and anything she touched (literally touched) he would eat, chew, destroy or kill. From clipper handles to gloves, to clothing to shoes... if her scent was on it, he'd DESTROY it.

Then he harassed her horses when she went to lead them in/out. He ate the seats out of the Polaris Ranger on the farm when she locked him in the garage to "get him away from her". Hours went by where my dog would apparently try to give my mom's super obese & aggressive blue heeler a heart attack, since he can't run even an iota close to the speed Sully can generate, which drives him INSANE. So, Boomer would give chase until he was so winded and exhausted he'd plop down on the back patio and start vomiting a few times every day... That provoked a firestorm of angry phone-calls, under the pretense that mom said he was trying to kill Boomer (I didn't think it was that bad until I later saw it in action).

I really did come home to a disaster and the world's most super peeved parent. I'm pretty sure I could have come home pregnant out of wedlock with a drug-lord's baby and have had a better reception. It took about four months for my mother to even talk to me again she was so angry. But my dog instantly reverted back to being a complete angel around me. He's lived with me since and has been just a doll. Went back to visit my mother one afternoon and he ate all of her garden gear! Every last bit she left outside was demolished - with zeal.

He hates her, in the most passive aggressive way possible... I never thought I'd see the day a dog had ill intentions towards a person.

But if you're worried about moving out and expendatures - if your family doesn't know how to handle or bond with your dog, your BC's will become nightmares to them, with intelligent motivation. Then the guilty cost of, "You left your dog with me and so YOU'RE paying for the damages" becomes an issue... Don't do that to your family if it's really a bonded dog to you. I really won't ever do it to my mother again (as much as it still is amusing to me now).

•  
  • First, you can't rely on anyone but a BC and THEIR person to get along.
  • Second, you can't rely on a BC to have a set pattern because they'll change it up if you're not there to keep a constant.
  • Third, take your dog with you. It's your dog and border collies aren't the dogs to dump on family. There not like a token "family" lab - they have strong attachments to individuals. Take it from someone who figured that out the hard way... Like, $1500-$2000 dollars worth of damage hard and about 20 hours worth of hole filling, trench backfilling, repairing, replacing, reworking and remodeling what my dog had destroyed of my mother's. All for 3 weeks of a temporary stint away! And I still have work left to do this summer to help her recoop her beautiful flower beds, potted plants and garden since he killed everything in them! And I still owe for the Polaris ranger seats... :blink:

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the $1700 vet bill I accrued after my dad ran over my Sully with his Duramax diesel when I went shopping with my little sister and left him at their house one afternoon. THAT is another phone call you don't want to get - because nothing feels worse than letting other people watch your pet and then having it get hurt. By the time I got home, Sully's foot was the size of a very large grapefruit... And they weren't even going to take him to the vet, which would have meant he would have lost his entire paw (thank god he didn't!).

Keep your BCs with you - that way the nightmares are contained!!!

Edit: My parents are pretty dog savvy too - but BC's are a whole different bag of problems... And, for the record, Sully grew up with them around, they helped me train him but he was always my dog. He's always disliked my mother, that was apparent, but she was always able to keep him in line when I was here... never any problems. But then that simple catalyst of a BC's 'Person' being gone that long can upset them. Do not underestimate an agitated, lonely BC. You'll pay for it - out of heart, soul, mind, body and wallet - one way or the other, so just make a wise choice in the end.

Do not leave your dog with anyone - especially a BC. 35 years ago I left my Siberian Husky with some family. They let their kid torment her until she bit him. Then they tied her up in the back yard and she jumped the fence with the chain barely long enough for her feet to touch the ground on the other side. Later, I left her with another family member and they chained her up, but it was freezing cold in Alaska and the snap didn't shut. She was hit by a car and died many hours later. I can still remember where I was standing 7,000 miles away when I knew she was dead. No one had to tell me. All that happened because I had to leave to have a baby. Nothing else could have dragged her away from me. I could have brought her with me, but I didn't have the airfare.

I'd rather get hit by a bus.

Here's another story - When I was looking for Antonia, I kept seeing advertisements for BCs because people were buying houses and their insurance company wouldn't let them have certain breeds of dogs. WHAT? I would get rid of the house and the insurance company also.

I also have 4 horses that would be dead now, turned out onto open hard pan dessert range if I had not loaded them up and brought them with me. The next year when I became disabled, those horses kept me alive. Still keeping me alive.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the OP knows this is a really bad idea and is looking for justification, attention and support. You chose to get your dog and now you need to do the hard work and make the hard choices to care for him. That means not leaving him with your sister, walking out on your relationship with him and saddling her with the responsibility. I don't care how you sugarcoat it. As my dad used to tell me, "You can have anything you want, just not everything you want." Living with dogs during transitional phases of your life can be difficult. Grow up and take care of your dog. Even if that means having to share living space when you don't want to.

Lisa

The issue about asking advise online is you get a lot of people who respond with out a clear idea about the question. I was looking to see if anyone has done it. Not to hear about my possible intentions behind the post.

So is it consider abandoning when you send a dog to a trainer for an extended period?

Or if you have to leave your dog with s.o. if you have to care for a sick parent for a perio

Or if you go on vacation and kennel your dog for the week or sometimes month vacation. (I never understand how a vacation is fun without dog involved but I know some people do.)

And I am still looking. Am getting a little desperate with how high gas is getting. Still am commuting.

I'd never give up my dogs, especially for a stupid reason such as moving. I'd always regret it.

Listed on our rescue website for all our foster dogs:

Owning a dog is a 10-15 year commitment. We mean it.

Commitment doesn't stop because you need or want to move. This is why so many dogs end up in foster care in the first place... family "had" to move. It's so frustrating and sad.

Not sure what the statistics are, but it seems nowadays that the majority of people own a pet. There are plenty of rentals who accept not only one pet, but multiple pets.

I think Troy would be confused and have anxiety being left behind. How would he feel seeing you and Cressa leave him behind. Your relationship could change. Also as I may recall, your sister has 4 dogs, would Troy get the proper attention he needs and deserves with so many other dogs in the mix? Just things to think about.

Don't know if I'm correct or not, but if you live in Erie, which your profile says so, there are tons of houses/apartments for rent on craigslist that allows dogs/cats. Here are a few and they are really cheap, hope this helps...

http://erie.craigslist.org/apa/2248897079.html

http://erie.craigslist.org/apa/2203361847.html

http://erie.craigslist.org/apa/2253807268.html

Sheesh I live in the wrong state! I pay $920/mo for a 1 bedroom shoebox!

For the sake of Troy, I hope you find an apartment/house that allows him to come along. If not, maybe consider re-homing him...

And I am still looking. Am getting a little desperate with how high gas is getting. Still am commuting.

Are there any options on carpooling?

:) if I was looking for a place in erie I wouldn't be having such difficulty. So far I haven't found a person I could carpool with. But I am not against that idea either.

:) if I was looking for a place in erie I wouldn't be having such difficulty. So far I haven't found a person I could carpool with. But I am not against that idea either.

Oh! LOL :lol::P

I was just going off your profile. I can't believe how cheap Erie is and how many houses are available. According to CL, I could get a big 3 bedroom house with a garage for less than I'm paying now!!

Maybe a CL ad could help in a carpool. But be careful, a lot of weirdo's out there.

Or you could put up a flyer at school.

Keep us updated.

"So is it consider abandoning when you send a dog to a trainer for an extended period?

Or if you have to leave your dog with s.o. if you have to care for a sick parent for a perio

Or if you go on vacation and kennel your dog for the week or sometimes month vacation. (I never understand how a vacation is fun without dog involved but I know some people do."

I really don't think these are fair comparisons. All of these scenarios are temporary situations. If I underdand correctly, you would be moving out permanently and leaving Troy behind. I hope you can find something that will work for all of you.

-Kelley

So is it consider abandoning when you send a dog to a trainer for an extended period?

Preumably the trainer is someone you know well enough to know that s/he is taking care of your dog to a standard that meets your approval. And of course the dog is also getting to do something meaninful to it while it's in training. Not the same as leaving a dog in a situation that has made both you and your dad (for whatever reasons) decide it might be good to find another place to live.

Again, I wouldn't do something like this unless I was absolutely sure that my SO would care for my dog to my standards (or at least close to it). I did have a medical emergency once and needed to be hospitalized. I called my friends whom I knew I could count on to take care of my animals the same way I would.

Or if you go on vacation and kennel your dog for the week or sometimes month vacation. (I never understand how a vacation is fun without dog involved but I know some people do.)

I don't generally vacation without my dogs, but if I have to travel for some reason and they can't come with me, then again I contact good dog-savvy friends to look after my dogs.

None of these scenarios you propose are the same as leaving your dog with your sister and a second family with children who apparently aren't dog savvy and don't necessarily respect a dog's boundaries.

Back in medieval times, when I was a unversity student, there were always notices posted in the student union looking for carpools and the like. I didn't own a car, so if I wanted to go home on weekends or whatever, I had to find a carpool. Maybe the sort of bulletin board that people posted such notices on doesn't exist anymore?

Also, I recently had to move on short notice. I got lucky that someone in the area I moved to knew someone and was able to point me to a place where the landlord allowed my 9 dogs and 4 cats, as well as the 40+ chickens and 30+ sheep. It makes me wonder if you couldn't discuss your needs with some of your professors or student counselor type folks--the ones who live in the area year round--and see if someone doesn't know someone who would rent to you. Maybe you've already done this, but if not, IME word of mouth (knowing someone who knows someone) is usually the most successful way to find decent housing, whether to rent or to buy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

J.

If you and your dad leave, who is going to take care of your sisters 4 dogs while she comes and stays the night a couple nights a week?

This just doesn't sound like a good situation for for her dogs or yours.

As a landlord, if I say one dog, I mean one dog all month long. Not one dog half the month and a extra 1-5 the other half.

• 4 weeks later...

Hate to create a new thread and to bump an old thread...

So far I have this semester worked out and I am hoping I will get into a school that is closer to me for next semester.

My friend has agree to let me crash at her place 3 nights a week till the end of the semester. The best part I can bring both dogs with me.

Archived