BC Boards

Border Collie-only club

I have noticed, mostly with Skye rather than my first Riley, that should she meet another border collie on our outings, she appears much more interested in meeting them than practically any other type of dog. Large GSD-type dogs get her nervous, small dogs generate mild interest, but other border collies are like magnets. And I don't mean if they're even doing anything -- even if they just walk by. There seems to be a sort of border collie dance that she does with them :rolleyes:

Any thoughts from others?

Ailsa

Ive heard folks say and have observed it myself, that some breeds recogize their own breed, and gravitate to them quicker and more so than if they had a choice of another breed

Well other than his sister my lil buddy goku gravitates more towards pitbulls. Him and his sister ariel havent had that much exposure to other border collies. It seems like there arnt that many in san diego. Every time i take them to the dog park i really dont see any. I have once but the two border collies that were there were off doing their own thing. Maybe my two pup need more exposure.

:rolleyes:

I knew it!

Ailsa

I was going to say the same thing about the secret handshake! :D My two definitely prefer other Border Collies. Even Aussies. In a recent class we took there was an little Aussie that didn't want anything to do with the other dogs...to the point of acting agressive. WHen she met my two (and they are by no means sedate) it was like old home week. ALthough I have to admit both Georgia & Tex love GSDs.

Grady will play with anything that plays back, regardless of breed or species. Lucia is VERY particular about play partners (no fighting, she just ignores them) and prefers BC's and Aussies over anything else. She HATES big floppy dogs like labs and goldens.

And I agree, It's all about the secret handshake :rolleyes:

My dog absolutely chooses BC/Aussie dogs as his #1 favorites. I theorize that he associates the markings (white stripe up the nose, etc.) with his mother and "pack" - the dogs he knew and loved in his puppyhood. To me, it makes sense they recognize their own breed.

Buddy sees a smooth coat BC at the park. He looks a lot like Alex of these boards. The owner, who got the dog from a pound, questions my certainty that the dog is a smooth coat BC, because she's never seen a picture of one. But I know he's a BC (or mix of one) because Buddy wanted to play with him the very first time they met. Plus, he looks like my dog minus the fluff.

Buddy also seems to particularly like Jack Russell and rat terriers, huskies and malamutes, and small chihuahua-look breeds (he grew up on the streets of Puerto Rico, where lots of dogs have that chihuahua look). He HATES boxers, pit bulls, and other chesty dogs - I think he believes their natural stance is a dominant posture. He also, curiously, hates small dogs with long hair and pushed in faces, like shi tzus, lhasa apsos, and pekingese. Not sure what bad experience he had with those breeds, but he will not tolerate them.

Mary

Odin appears to really want to meet all dogs, but aside from having the poor manners lunging face-licking thing, doesn't actually seem that interested in them, especially if a ball, treats, affection, etc. come on the scene. But what I think is weird is that he acts much calmer, respectful, polite, and interested in BCs, BC mixes, and ACDs (we've actually never met an Aussie! Things like that make me realize how young he really is). He is in love with Margie the dobie (my in-law's dog), but we have never met any other dobies. I'm wondering if he will have an affinity for them, since he has grown up with a dobie.

I have noticed, mostly with Skye rather than my first Riley, that should she meet another border collie on our outings, she appears much more interested in meeting them than practically any other type of dog. Large GSD-type dogs get her nervous, small dogs generate mild interest, but other border collies are like magnets. And I don't mean if they're even doing anything -- even if they just walk by. There seems to be a sort of border collie dance that she does with them :rolleyes:

Any thoughts from others?

Ailsa

BC's aren't concidered the smartest breed for nothin'!! They always got alot goin' on in their brains, probly feel the other breeds aren't worthy, or don't think they'd get much feedback. If you think about it....the brightest humans usually don't hang-out with idiots!

He HATES boxers, pit bulls, and other chesty dogs - I think he believes their natural stance is a dominant posture. He also, curiously, hates small dogs with long hair and pushed in faces, like shi tzus, lhasa apsos, and pekingese. Not sure what bad experience he had with those breeds, but he will not tolerate them.

Interesting Mary. My first bc Riley wouldn't tolerate any dogs with pushed in faces, small or large. I figured it had to do with their heavy breathing. And Skye is certainly reticent toward them as well as any dog that appears unusually different, i.e. 3-legged, lame, bandaged, gimungous (great dane, irish wolfhound) etc.

But I do wonder what they think when the other dog is sputtering and gasping all over them :rolleyes:

Ooky wrote:

But what I think is weird is that he acts much calmer, respectful, polite, and interested in BCs, BC mixes, and ACDs

Kelly, I think this is hilarious! He's no doubt trying to decipher the secret handshake :D

Ailsa

Guest maya's mom

Maya isn't interested in "actively" playing or engaging most dogs. But we had a playdate with a Border Collie a few weeks ago, and she loved it! I think it was b/c they had a similar play style, etc. With other dogs, she wants to maybe shawdow them, or even just watch them. But she was actively running with and playing with this Border Collie. It was great to watch, b/c even I could see the similarities in their style. My trainer said she thinks it's b/c Maya "understood" the actions of the other border collie, whereas with another breed, she isn't sure what their style is going to be, so she just observes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that when we're outside walking through the fields the BC's tend to group up, away from the other dogs. The dogs will all run around, wrestle and play for a bit but then the BC's will usually go ahead and when I look, they will be sitting, standing and/or lying down in a group looking towards me, while I and the others make our way up to where they are. They'll wait by the hay shed for me, or the chicken coop, or walking back up towards the house just anywhere in the field that's along the way. Funny guys :rolleyes:

Mick really prefers Border Collies, and also likes German Shepherds a lot. He's pretty indifferent to most other breeds, but he does have a pit bull friend at the dog park, and he likes to lick the toes of tiny dogs (he's a freak that way).

Beag has really only been around Border Collies and German Shepherds so far, and she loves them both. Her and my mom's GSD puppy are the best of buds. They get to visit about once a week.