BC Boards

Vestibular Syndrome

Barb Scott

Our 14 year old BC was diagnosed with Vestibular Syndrome yesterday; so far he's having a hard time getting around (has to be carried in and out of doors, stumbles when he tries to walk etc); Blaze was put on anti-nausea meds and our vet said he should be much better in 2 or 3 days. I did a search on this forum and everyone seemed to think recovery would never be complete (the thread was from way back in 2003). Just wondering if anyone has any encouragement to offer.

Barb S

It very much depends on the dog. Some recover fully, some mostly, some only a little, some not at all. I've seen dogs recover 100% overnight and others take awhile. Just keep him comfortable and wait and see. You can give him benadryl to make him a little sleepy so he'll rest more. And raise his food and water so he doesn't have to look down at it (he's dizzy).

My 14 yo fully recovered from his bout. However, we did not have him on medications other than Dramamine. Also, when walking him in the yard, we used a harness, this allowed us to keep him on his feet and not allow him to fall or get into a spin. We kept the lead about 3 feet in length and held it "up" to keep him balanced.

Good luck, it's scary but mine fully recovered after about 5 days.

Karen

The Meclizine is another seasick med so I'm pretty sure it works like dramamine. We've only got 3 pills left so I'll be stopping at the vet's tomorrow for more. He seemed to think 2-3 days would take care of it but unless Blaze has a miraculous recovery, he'll need a few more! Blaze didn't vomit yesterday until I drove him 1/2 block to the vet and carried him inside! He's standing up to eat, but I'm balancing him between my legs.

Barb S

There is another med called Cerenia that we used in company with a steroid when my Rhett (also 14) came down with it. It is a really scary looking syndrome but I'm happy to say she made a fully recovery within a couple of weeks. She was a bit unsteady for awhile and had a few falls but nothing like she was at the begining.

My 14 yo was diagnosed with vestibular on 8/27. The vet put him on both the anti-nausea meds and a course of Pred. as *supposedly* there may be some neuro-inflammation source associated with the condition. My vet said to give him a good 2-3 weeks before evaluating how far back he'd come. Nick went from not being able to get up at all, to being able to wobble outside for toileting within 2 days. Not great, but clearly improvement. Over the course of the next several days, he got progressively more stable on his feet, but was not at all interested in eating, tho he would drink.

Our biggest challenge was making sure he was hydrated & trying to get him to eat *something*. He had a hard time managing eating or drinking from his bowl on the floor, but did alot better when we elevated it. We pretty much had to hand feed him for the first week & could only get him to eat cooked chicken. Guess the dizziness really messes with their appetite.

By September 4th, his appetite was improving and he was able to take decent walks. Still had a pretty significant head tilt & kind of wobbly, but clearly feeling better. By September 8th, he was back to eating his normal meals and he was back to his cheery self...able to go along on the "long" afternoon walks with the rest of the dogs...about 40 minutes thru fields, back to obviously enjoying himself and being a happy old man.

He still has a bit of a head tilt, which is more pronounced in the morning, and is still a bit unsteady, but overall, the improvement is amazing.

Here's to hoping your senior enjoys the same come-back.

Good luck.

Lori Cunningam

Milton, PA

Hi,

I'm so happy to read that BCs with vestibular syndrome are on the road to recovery. I can add our little tale to the list in order to offer encouragement to anyone going through it. Our 14.6-year-old male suffered his first "attack" in May; we thought he was having a stroke and rushed him to the vet, sure he would end up with his feet on the Rainbow Bridge. Unbelievably upsetting, but I'm sure you all know what I mean. The vet reassured us, saying he was not in pain and it was probably vestibular syndrome, did some blood work to rule out other causes, etc., and sent him him home with a hopeful prognosis.

Travis did not want to eat for a week (nausea caused by the dizziness). It took dosing with Bonine (active ingredient Meclizine 25 mg) and an act of God to get bits of liver and chicken into him; but he did drink water. He was very unsteady and "tippy."

I made a harness (similar to a log carrier) with a heavy bath towel and two PVC pipes to carry him down the stairs and out of the house for toileting. Had to sew a breast plate (similar to a breast plate you see on horse tack) on it to keep from dumping him out. It worked very well -- thank heavens he's only 42 lbs! (If anyone wants info or the pattern, just let me know.) He actually enjoys being in the sling (go figure), and wags his tail when we approach him with it and lifts his front feet one at a time to step into it. We figured the harness was safer than picking him up in our arms to carry him (we are senior citizens with arthritis, and feared dropping Travis or falling down the stairs while holding him -- then we'd ALL end up at the vet's!

Within six weeks, Travis recovered fully from the vestibular syndrome.

Then, four weeks ago, he had another "attack" -- mirror image of the first. Again, we thought it might be the end, but we decided to take it hour-by-hour. His recovery is tracking about the same, but this time actually a bit faster. Yesterday, he ran through the yard chasing a deer. Sort of a wobbly run, but hey... He's able to trot and canter a bit. To our great surprise, last evening he came up the back steps by himself and was scratching at the door to come in!

I'm sorry for the long post, but I want to add our words of encouragement to those who've posted above. We have gone from tears streaming down our faces at the vet's last May to celebrating each day now as a gift.

Mary Huber, Lords Valley (Pocono Mountains), PA

Within six weeks, Travis recovered fully from the vestibular syndrome. . .

I'm sorry for the long post, but I want to add our words of encouragement to those who've posted above. We have gone from tears streaming down our faces at the vet's last May to celebrating each day now as a gift.

We had Blaze put to sleep last night. He was doing great in the morning and by afternoon would not even try to stand or move (not close to how he acted with the vestibular syndrome). He would just remain motionless in whatever position I put him. Blaze was a very special BC. In spite of a severe immune problem (diagnosed after a week in intensive care at MSU's vet clinic) when he was 12 months and developing seizures when he was 6, Blaze earned many agility titles including an USDAA ACDH. He continued to play tennis ball until the morning of the day he was put to sleep. It was just time to let him go.

Barb S

Oh Barb, Im so sorry to hear this news. I had thought that when I clicked on this post that it would be more good news of his recovery. I am so sorry.