BC Boards

How "AFFECTIONATE" is your border?

When Skye was a bit younger, when I would get home I'd sit down on the stairs and she'd put her paws up on my shoulders and snuggle her head alongside my neck. What a great welcome home. :rolleyes:

Now its mostly face washing and leg leaning.

Ailsa

Dean is very affectionate. He wants to hug everyone in the world!

Speedy is affectionate, but in his own way. He likes to wiggle toward you and give kisses. He doesn't care to cuddle much, but he is definitely a little love.

Ollie likes to climb up in to the front seat when we're driving (only gets to do it in my car...wife's not going for it)...lay his head in my lap or on my arm, and gaze up at me with those doe eyes. It's our "special time" :rolleyes: He rarely stops to cuddle otherwise, unless it's the beginning or end of the day.

Lok is not super cuddly--he didn't cuddle at all right after he got home from the shelter--I was lucky if he'd come out from behind the couch and let me pet him for a minute or two. Since then he's developed his own brand of cuddling, primarily reserved for the early morning or when I get home from work. I sit on the floor, he stands in front of me and presses the top of his head into my tummy. Then I scratch him all over. He also shows affection by putting a paw over your arm or leg, particularly when being petted or when he is uncomfortable and wants to be reassured. Lately he's been extra "cuddly" because I have a very, very busy foster girl. Lok things she's nuts and can't believe I bring something like that home!

Scooter is a real lover! He sits next to me on the couch, his head in my lap. Sometimes I put my arm around him and he puts his head down and snuggles up next to my breast, sometimes when I'm petting him, he'll just sit there enjoying it, then all of a sudden he whips his head around and attacks me with lots of slobbery kisses all over my face. He also does the paw on the hand or arm thing too when I'm petting him, although I've heard that's a sign of dominance. ??? Who knows? But he's a very sweet, loving boy! :rolleyes:

A year after my nephew died, my brother found a beautiful Aussie/BC mix on a trip back to Ohio and took him home to Colorado with him. The one year anniversary of his son's death was a few days after they had gotten him and my brother was understandably upset. Buddy stood on his hind legs, wrapped his front paws around my brother's neck and gave him a huge hug and kiss. He's the sweetest, gentlest dog. Also very affectionate. A Godsend to my brother and sister-in-law. He really helped them heal from their terrible loss. I love him almost as much as I do Scooter. :D

Dazzle is a wiggle-butt-kissy-snuggle-bug kind of dog. She is quite affectionate. She loves pretty much everyone but for family and well-known friends she gets especially excited to crawl into their laps and give kisses and tail wags in exchange for some pets. She is also quite happy to curl up with someone in the evening. :rolleyes: Of course, at the slightest mention of going out and doing something - she will drop everything and go out and join the action without a second thought. :D

he's developed his own brand of cuddling, primarily reserved for the early morning or when I get home from work. I sit on the floor, he stands in front of me and presses the top of his head into my tummy. Then I scratch him all over. He also shows affection by putting a paw over your arm or leg, particularly when being petted or when he is uncomfortable and wants to be reassured.

Speedy does the exact same things!

Jak is super affectionate. :rolleyes: He loves to wrap his paws around our necks (only lets my husband and I touch him...everyone else is too scary), and then he pulls his skinny little body close and hugs TIGHT. Its so sweet. Then he explodes with kisses. He wants to do this EVERY time we walk into the room... regardless if he's just given you cuddles a few moment earlier. If one of us walks into the bedroom, he runs for the bed, hops up, and balances on the edge, waiting for us to come closer so he can reach us easier..... OMG I LOVE this dog!

My Black Jack is the most people loving dog I have ever seen. He's pretty timid around people but doesn't take his time getting under your am if your sitting down :D I love it when I'm sitting there and feel a cold nose come under my arm and he pushes my arm up. He loves to hug you with his paws and give you kisses too. He is so sweet. I think they all are though :rolleyes:

Hmm....similar to previous posters, Kona will "tolerate" affection in the morning and at night. Virtually any other time, we're lucky if we can dive at him to pat him on the head as he's running by. Thankfully, our Toller is happy to smother and be smothered with lots of love.

Senneca is a normally pretty laid-back sort of girl when she in the house. She does like to put her paw on me when we are relaxing. Another thing altogether is the way she greets me when I get home from the office. She pushes her head into my lap and rolls herself so her backside is up in the air and her head is between her hind legs, and finally ending up on her back. A half somersault, in other words. I've never seen any other dog do this -- it's her trademark. I have no idea if this is a spontaneous genture or whether someon in her previous life taught it to her, but it's very cute (as long as you enjoy having your dogs tail and back paws in your face, of course).

I have never had a BC that did not show some sign of affection ranging from a big suck to touch me once in awhile. They all seem to have a personality of their own. If you do not tell anyone. My best working dog, the big tough lead dog who works sheep and cows and bulls and even Elk almost every day when we are relaxing at the end of the day will jump up on the couch with me, lie down and put his head in my lap. Sometimes he even makes a low sound that I cannot identify. He seems very content. When he is working a quick pat on the head is all he needs. I have never had another dog that would do this. It almost surprises me that he does. Do not mention it, he has an image to uphold.

Fuze, our 2yo BC, LOVES to hang out in your lap.

1) to be petted (I often say she would crawl inside my skin, if she could!)

2) to watch over the other dogs and see if anyone has a ball

3) a great place from which to sneak up on the other dogs and steal their ball and return to lap so the other dogs can't take ball back!

She's funny!

Jennifer Akins

JenTo Dogs

ohhh... this makes me sad...

Shelby reserves snuggles and cuddles for when i wake up from my nap in-between job 1 and job 2.

Thats it. no more cuddles then that.

on the RARE RARE occasion she will let me cuddle her with her butt facing me.... (yay)?!?!

i'm not to keen on that one :rolleyes:

ETA:

Shelbs has decided to make a liar out of me.... apperently she didn't like being protrayed as a cold unloving doggie and is currently giving me flip ups and lying her head on my lap.....

With Cody, the ball ALWAYS trumps any affection giving or taking.

So when there's no ball around, it's easy to call him over from wherever he is, and he presses his forehead in between my legs and pushes closer to get back/side rubs. He won't move from that position, until I stop. Or sometimes he gets into "pretzel" position where he totally bends in two. Or he gets into a weird position where his front legs are basically collapsed on the floor and his butt is hanging up in the air (he loves those butt rubs!)

A lot of times, Cody pushes his nose through my arm to get me to pet him, like if I'm sitting outside on the deck. But since I want him to know I'm the Alpha and in charge, I usually will ignore that and only offer pets and affection when I choose it.

Our morning ritual is lovely. I come down the stairs first, about five minutes before DH. Cody is waiting there at the base of the stairs (Cody sleeps downstairs and isn't allowed upstairs where the bedrooms are). He is one big mushball for me, rolling over onto his side or back for as long as I want to rub/pet/coo. He's full of peaceful wiggles, yawns, tailwagging, grins, etc.

Now as soon as I stop and stand up from sitting on the bottom step, he immediately gets into position to do a "walkee" which is walk between my legs for as long as I keep saying "walkee, walkee, walkee". He LOVES that.

Now my DH comes down. Cody now goes into excitement affection mode. Cody is no longer quiet, peaceful, lovey dovey. He's exhuberant, happy, licky, etc. with my DH. Lots of excited jumping if my DH lets him (usually not).

Two totally different ways to say good morning to his humans!

Interesting that Cody NEVER EVER licks me. And I take showers way more than DH so I know I smell better! :rolleyes:

Now as soon as I stop and stand up from sitting on the bottom step, he immediately gets into position to do a "walkee" which is walk between my legs for as long as I keep saying "walkee, walkee, walkee". He LOVES that.

ROFLMAO!!! That's the funniest thing I've ever heard! Strange sometimes what these dogs get into. :rolleyes:

Dali is still to "puppy" to sit and cuddle I think but today something amazing happened.

He came to visit me at work today and there was a man who doesn't feel very good around dogs. I asked him if he preferred if Dali went outside ..He said he was ok , but kept his distance.

Dali walked over to him and looked at him with his puppy eyes and the man gave him a quick rub on the head.

Dali jumped up on his legs. I wanted to say no and make him sit but the man seemed tempted to touch Dali again.

he ended up with Dali almost demanding his attention until both were sitting on the floor and Dali giving him bug hugs , paws wrapped around his neck, and lots of kisses.

After a while the man stood up and said it was the most amazing thing ..he had never been so close to a dog and he said he actually felt good about it . He didn't know a dog could hug and kiss like that !!! :rolleyes:

I now know that there is a further cuddler in there somewhere ...

Buddy is happy to be scratched gently, anytime. He's not needy, though - just happy to take what comes his way.

But the sweetest thing he does is something that I saw the day I got him. We were driving away from the shelter, and he stood up in the back seat, pushed his head between the headrests in the front, and laid his head on my shoulder. He still does this when he's very happy to be arriving at a happy place - which I guess means it was his way of saying he was happy for getting out of that shelter. ::Sigh::

Mary

Most of mine have NOT been cuddly. Miss Lacey my heart dog liked to sleep with her butt in my face- must be a "backwards smile" LOL. It was true SHE was the pack leader. Usher is very kind. He doesn't sleep with me, but "naps" with me. I just say nap time and he snuggles and actually puts his arms around me. I just love that dog- Bailey is all in for it for herself- the belly rubs.

ETA- Mary, that's so sweet!!!

Edited by Bo Peep

Misty is very cuddly, usually she will stand on her hind legs, and back up into you so you dont have to bend down to cuddle her lol. when sitting she will rest her head on your lap.

Happy is NOT cuddly, if she REALLY like you she will jump on your lap, throw her paws around your shoulders, give you a quick kiss and then get the heck away lol. if she cuddles with someone at all they can consider themselves EXTREMLY lucky. even more rare is when she sleeps, with me she often sleeps around my head, but if you try to cuddle she will leave, there is only 2 other people she has ever "snuggled" with like this, thats my mom and the lady who was going to buy her(as a pup,her husband said no, but she always adored Happy like her own). no one else even gets so much as a quick hug lol

Liberty has a habit of wrapping her paws around people's waists and 'hugging' (does it on command, too). She loves it when people hug her as well. She is a very sweet dog!

Does anyone else's BC do this? How does your dog 'show' affection?

My 2 y.o. BC, Brody, does that too!

post-8009-1213305504_thumb.jpg

Mine are all different in how they show affection. Lightning and Rain are the most cuddly, though Flurry can be too. Lighting loves to give (and receive) hugs, wrapping his paws around my waist or even stretching up to my shoulders (ok, the cat's out of the bag, I'm short! :rolleyes: ) He also usually sleeps on the bed and he and Rain will both curl up by my feet when I'm watching TV, one on each side and using my feet as pillows. Rain loves to be in my lap or cuddled up really close when I'm sleeping, sometimes at my stomach, sometimes at my back, and either way sometimes her head is on my pillow. Flurry's not so much like that but he does like to lay on my feet where ever I am. Thunder likes to sit and lean into me but the rest of mine aren't really cuddlers.