BC Boards

Partial Facial Paralysis

MrSnappy

I can't win for losing here.

The right side of Red Dog's face is paralyzed. His lip is droopy, his ear does not move and he shows no blink reflex on that side.

Obviously we are off to the vet as soon as they open. But does anyone have any ideas what this could be a result of? He was just AT the vet's a few weeks having teeth removed and was declared quite healthy, all things considered (old, autoimmune disorder, bad reaction to Ketamine etc.)

I'm freaking out. He's not THAT old! He's not even 11 yet!

He is not dehydrated and is eating and drinking just fine, and even played ball this morning. But if the ball bounces past him on the right he has no idea it just happened.

???

RDM

I am so sorry you and Red Dog is going through this. How scary. It sounds like stroke, but then, it seems like more would be involved than just his face. I wonder if it's possible some nerves were damaged in the tooth pulling or something left over from his reaction. Please keep us informed. Give him a hug and scritch for me. I will pray for him.

RDM,

As I recently became all too aware, age is unfortunately irrelevant with a lot of neurological issues.

The fact that it is localized to the face I think is a positive (if there is such a thing) sign. I would say the thing to do now is to take mental notes of anything that is out of the ordinary with Red Dog, regardless of how innocuous it seems.

I wish I could be more help.

Sending good juju your way.

Gary

That's what first came to mind too, AMC. I had a friend in school who had Bells Palsy. Hugs to sweet RD from my crew. I will be sending good vibes out to ya.

Thanks all.

We have just returned from the vet. RD is already showing improvement and now has a partial/incomplete blink reflex on his right side, though he needs eye lube to protect the eye since he cannot blink it shut all the way.

The vet said the three main causes of something this would be a) tumour :rolleyes: facial trauma or c) a stroke. He could not feel or see a tumour and says they are generally quite obvious. Also, since he is already showing spontaneous improvement (and can now see again out of that eye - he has pupil reflexes) he doesn't feel it is a tumour. He feels it was some sort of trauma to the nerve, and that it is healing.

The most embarrassing bit, however, is that he now needs to wear Doggles to protect his eye that does not close.

Jesus, who needs kids?

RDM

I had a hypothyroid BC who would experience unilateral facial paralysis when his thyroid levels were too low. We kept having to increase his dose of soloxine. However, he had a more gradual onset and recovery.

RD must look good in his doggles :rolleyes:

The most embarrassing bit, however, is that he now needs to wear Doggles ™ to protect his eye that does not close.

Oh, poor RD! I don't suppose he's going to be allowed to wear his doggles in peace without some pictures on your blog, is he? Is Woo making fun of him?

Glad to hear his condition is improving!

I do know that dogs can get Bells palsy - i've seen a cocker with it and I believe it resolved on its own. Perhaps it would be worth running that by the vet too? Hope RD feels better soon!

I'm sure RD looks quite swank in his Doggles.

When I was reading this, I wondered if a nerve may have been traumatized when he had his teeth pulled a week ago? The fact that it was localized pretty much ruled out a stroke in my mind. But, I'm not a vet.

Hope he is feeling better and back to his old self soon.

Oh, poor RD! I don't suppose he's going to be allowed to wear his doggles in peace without some pictures on your blog, is he? Is Woo making fun of him?

I vote for everyone at TWAAW having to wear Doggles, photographer included, so that RD will not feel embarrassed. And of course we want photos!

Seriously, I'm glad I didn't see this thread until after the vet visit. Hope things continue to work their way back to normal.

I think Red Dog would be very handsome in his Doggles.

Lizzy has a pair (and hates them...not a very cooperative Dingo) and looks like she's ready for business when they're on (which is not often if I don't want to loose a limb).

Gald to hear he's feeling a little better.

Best wishes & good vibes for a speedy recovery RD!!