BC Boards

Partial Facial Paralysis

MrSnappy

Another thing to consider is old dog vestibular syndrome. Usually includes locomotor ataxia. Head tilts to one side, eyes flick back and forth, dog walks in circles, loses proprioception (the sense of one's location, orientation, and direction in space and what the limbs are doing) and can have partial facial paralysis.

No one knows what causes it, and it usually goes away after three to four weeks.

Molly just went through a bout of it at at 14, and is pretty much back to her old self again. Poor old bat had a few days when she had to look at each foot as she picked it up and put it down. Could only have one foot off the ground at a time, and after a cycle of moving all four feet she would have to look up and aim towards her target again. Still walked mostly in circles unless I gave her directional assistance with a hand on her side.

Another thing to consider is old dog vestibular syndrome.

My vet feels it was not a vestibular episode because there was no nystagmus, and nothing was (is) affected aside from the muscles on the one side of his face. No motor coordination issues and nothing wrong with the ocular nerve. He still cannot close his eye completely but it does shut part way now if I flick my fingers at it. He can play ball with his Doggles on so he seems pretty happy. He did bite his super saggy lip while catching the ball though.

We have next to no ticks here and Lyme disease is not a consideration. Plus, we pretty well only play at the beach, where there are no ticks at all.

RDM

I'm glad to hear RD is feeling better.

Lili had the face droop, eye issues and all when she was diagnosed with GME. She went through all the testing and continues with treatments every 6 weeks. But she has gained movement in her eye again to where she can blink and her lip isn't droopy anymore. But she also had the motor coordination problems, darting eyes, head tilt, etc. It was scary but now she's pretty much back to normal.

And RD is very handsome in those Doggles! Lili would have swatted them off and chewed them up in seconds if she had to wear them!

One thing I wanted to note- just because you are on a beach, doesn't mean no ticks. I realize this is on the east coast, but the most loaded I ever got with ticks was on a beach in Cape Cod. They were crawling EVERY where on me. GRRRROSS. There was some saw grass and they hung out on that.

My vet feels it was not a vestibular episode because there was no nystagmus, and nothing was (is) affected aside from the muscles on the one side of his face. No motor coordination issues and nothing wrong with the ocular nerve. He still cannot close his eye completely but it does shut part way now if I flick my fingers at it. He can play ball with his Doggles on so he seems pretty happy. He did bite his super saggy lip while catching the ball though.

We have next to no ticks here and Lyme disease is not a consideration. Plus, we pretty well only play at the beach, where there are no ticks at all.

RDM

GAAACK, just saw this. I'm sorry RD was having trouble (but greatly relieved he's recovering.) It is true that some old dog vestibulars will get a partial Horner's syndrome (droopy eye and lip and so on), as Bill mentioned... but I'd also say that if there was no nystagmus I personally would lean toward a small mini-stroke or trauma or something pressing on the facial nerve (infection, swelling of some kind, etc). However, *****DISCLAIMER: I am not a neurologist.***** A neurologist might have a different take. If he's getting well, though, it doesn't matter as much what it was in the beginning, so long as he recovers and doesn't recur.

At any rate, I'm glad the old man is coming around. Give him some love from AK for me.

RD is feeling the love from you all!

We went in for a recheck with the other partner in the vet clinic yesterday. She was incredibly amused to learn that Dr. Shaw has prescribed the Doggles and insisted on a photo for the clinic wall :rolleyes: She too went over him carefully - no visible infection, no ear infection, no swelling or tumour. She said she has never seen this in a BC, but has seen it lots of times in other breeds, especially cockers, and can only advise the same things - keep giving him the eye lube, and please make sure he wears the Doggles. She too has hopes it will simply resolve itself.

Poor RD. My little aviator :D

RDM