BC Boards

Parents

Today I was waiting to get food, Ben on lead sitting at my feet

Door opend and woman came in with buggy with small child init

'doggie' says small child and jumps out of buggy

Mum does not say a word - or ask me if its OK but lets her child run up and pat ben

Then the kid is waving a packet of chewitts around infront of Bens face

does mum stop that

'stop teasing the dog and give him one'

Before I can get a word out the kid is v happily unwrapping a sweet to give to my dog - so not to dissapoint the kid I dont say anything

Kid reaches out with sweet in hand

Thankfully Ben is vvv good at taking treats lots of dogs I know are a bit snappy

He drops it on the floor, licks it, picks it up and spits it out a few times and gives it a wee chew and spits it back on the floor

Kid picks up the sweet from infront of Bens nose (thankfully he dosent food guard) and then without mum saying anything more than 'yuck' the kid sticks the sweet in its mouth and eats it!!!

Ewwwwwww

So how many ways does this woman want her kid bit from a strange dog??

Also - I wouldnt have patted Ben then let alone ate anything out of his mouth

On the way over he had eaten some poo and then found a dead rat and rolled in that too - ewwww - cute puppy eh??

Guest SweetJordan

Ewwww is right. lol Esp. since Ben ate poo.

Well one of the neighbor's kids broke my dogs lower fangs. The psycho would throw dirt in her face as a puppy and tease her. His dad would be right outside but wouldn't say a thing. Of course he's a big you know what. So the poor thing had to get root canals at about 18 months of age. And was in a lot of pain.

I ended up not being able to leave any of the dogs in the yard not even for a second or psycho child would run right outside. I couldn't even turn my back. The day of the broken teeth I let her out to potty and she was outside for maybe a min at most unattended. So we ended up having to put up a privacy fenced, and we're much happier that we don't have to look at them and our dogs are safe. Yeah we always keep an eye on the dogs, but we never had an escape artist so I should have been able to avert my eyes for a few seconds without worrying.

Kind of sad isn't it?

People used to teach their kids not to run up to strange dogs, feed them, pet them, etc in order to prevent bites. Nowadays - every dog in public is expected to be incredibly well trained so people don't have teach their kids proper dog manners.

And that really is pretty gross. :rolleyes:

I don't know how old you all are. But I grew up believing that all animals were my friends. Despite experience.

Yup. I was born in October of 1946. So I grew up in the 50s. Rin Tin Tin, Lassie, and My Friend Flicka on TV. And my best friend from 6th grade 'til now made me read Big Red, Red:Son of Big Red, and lots of other dog and horse stories.

I got bit by a dog roped outside the garage down the street when I was about 6. I was on my own and walked down the driveway to pat the pup. Didn't know that the kids who lived there love to stay just beyond the rope and taunt the dog.

I had my pants' leg grabbed by a dog around the "circle" when I rode around our street that went in with 3 houses on each side, then expanded to a circle with houses on the inside and outside of what looks, on a map, like a big lollipop. I have been a racing cyclist since then. But I always panic at the sight of a dog or the clink of a license on a collar.

I was in my neighbor's front yard with her and our other friend when we were about 8 when the far-end neighbor walked her pram and dog by. The dog ran at us and scared the s**t out of us. Woman called, "Oh, don't worry. He's so friendly." as he bit a chunk out of Carla's leg. Woman was still yelling same as Susan & I ran to her yard and up onto the top of the climbing bars her Dad had made.

I survived.

That said, even without a kid in our family or even our close neighborhood, I made sure Fergie knew how to behave around children. And I made sure to tell children how to behave around her. With or without their parents.

I do live where kids are few and far between, so it is definitely a different situation from the OP. But I am over 60 and feeling rather liberated. I'd have taught that mother a lesson or two - or seven. Even though I know that Fergie is great with kids, I make kids stop and wait for Ferg to sit before they come close, Then I tell them how to approach her - from the lower front instead of above - to make Ferg fell comfortable.

Luckily, the local parents seem happy that I'm doing the teaching.

BTW, don't worry about that kid's health. The healthiest kids in our neighborhood lived like that one. Those of us who washed our apples and wore sweaters and shoes missed way more days of school with way more infections than the kids who went barefoot in shorts in the rain.

It amazes me every time I see a child do this. I understand "No fear" and "outgoing", but even in my earliest childhood memories, I remeber being taught self control. I was always the first to run up to an animal to pet it, but if the owner was around Permission had to be asked first. No owner.....well.......I was taking the chance it was ok.

I was at a PA rest stop recently. Lucia was on leash, laying under my feet at a picinic table while I was on the phone with a friend getting directions. My back was to the parking lot. I heard a sudden squeal of a child and had a yank on the leash. The child had charged the dog, grabbing her fur. The only reason he didn't get bit was because he was a child. Lucia knows better than to harm a little one, but was doing her best to get away. If it had been an adult, she would have bitten them for sure. When Mom finally caught up with the kid, there was no appology for scaring me or the dog and then started asking a hundred questions about the pretty white dog while I was still on the phone. I even made it obvious I wasn't getting off to talk with her. It irritates me that people think she's safe just because she's pretty.

It's not just kids.. or parents... The Stupid come in all shapes and sizes. Stefan and I were on a walk with Gypsy. Now.. we live in Tourist Town and very near the main tourist-y strip which is insanely busy in the summer, and in the fall fairly busy on nice nights. I tend to prefer long evening/nighttime walks due to work schedule, and the fact that I have never been a morning person. I often have taken Gypsy down to this area, because I wanted her to get used to being in busy areas and acclimated to the hub-bub of the city, since it's the norm. Also, past this area there are some nice park spots I usually take her to, and let her relax in. Anyhow.. so we're walking down said street, and there's an ice cream kiosk that we decide to stop at. Stefan has Gypsy sit on leash beside him, I'm getting ice cream for the both of us and talking to the clerk. I hand Stefan his ice cream cone when I realize there is a large boob-ed 20-something blonde who runs up to us, crouches down to the cute puppy immediately without saying anything.. at which point I turn in shock and horror.. saying "Uhh.. Stefan... there's someone attached to you (via leash)" as she PICKS UP Gypsy and begins cuddling her smooshed into her bosom. WTF WTF OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

Seriously.. yes we have a young cute friendly puppy, but we do not know you, you do not know us. It is never a good idea to put your face near an unknown dog, pet said dog without permission from owners, and to pick up someone else's dog with no warning is completely horrendous. I was... in... shock. I could not utter a word. The ice cream clerk at this points begins to chuckle.. because he can SEE the rage in my eyes, my mouth has dropped agape slightly and I'm just.. flabbergasted. I COULD HAVE KILLED. grrr.

It's not just kids.. or parents... The Stupid come in all shapes and sizes. Stefan and I were on a walk with Gypsy. Now.. we live in Tourist Town and very near the main tourist-y strip which is insanely busy in the summer, and in the fall fairly busy on nice nights. I tend to prefer long evening/nighttime walks due to work schedule, and the fact that I have never been a morning person. I often have taken Gypsy down to this area, because I wanted her to get used to being in busy areas and acclimated to the hub-bub of the city, since it's the norm. Also, past this area there are some nice park spots I usually take her to, and let her relax in. Anyhow.. so we're walking down said street, and there's an ice cream kiosk that we decide to stop at. Stefan has Gypsy sit on leash beside him, I'm getting ice cream for the both of us and talking to the clerk. I hand Stefan his ice cream cone when I realize there is a large boob-ed 20-something blonde who runs up to us, crouches down to the cute puppy immediately without saying anything.. at which point I turn in shock and horror.. saying "Uhh.. Stefan... there's someone attached to you (via leash)" as she PICKS UP Gypsy and begins cuddling her smooshed into her bosom. WTF WTF OMGWTFBBQ!!!!

Seriously.. yes we have a young cute friendly puppy, but we do not know you, you do not know us. It is never a good idea to put your face near an unknown dog, pet said dog without permission from owners, and to pick up someone else's dog with no warning is completely horrendous. I was... in... shock. I could not utter a word. The ice cream clerk at this points begins to chuckle.. because he can SEE the rage in my eyes, my mouth has dropped agape slightly and I'm just.. flabbergasted. I COULD HAVE KILLED. grrr.

:rolleyes::D:D:D

as she PICKS UP Gypsy and begins cuddling her smooshed into her bosom.

Maybe you should have said "Oh, thank you, but that's quite unnecessary. She's already been weaned." :rolleyes:

I remember being taught as a child to NEVER approach a strange dog, but to stop some distance away and wait for the dog to approach me. And then to allow the dog to sniff my hand before attempting to pet it.

I only had to be told once. It just made sense to me, even as a child.

I was feeling really shaky and had to take my mom to the doctor and I told her, Mom, I NEED Usher today. I will help you out of the car but I need my dog. He got suited up in his service dog outfit and we headed off to the medical building to get her some tests. Now.........who comes up and goes (in a high pitched voice) what a cute doggie.....aren't you cute and starts loving him up- while he's wearing the DO NOT PET-I"M WORKING patch? The nurse!!! So, dumbness comes in even well educated people. My mother had to inform her- he's working. My bad days are far and few between, but when I need him, I really need him. I have a prescription for him, a letter from my neurologist and he has patches and a vest and also cards. When I put on that vest, he's not the dog you see chewing up things or climbing fences. He "knows" he's working and helping me and I thank God for him everyday. BUT, one stupid person comes up and gets him out of his "zone" and it messes him up. We're still working on that. Wish I had a "DUH" button to hand to some people.

The thing is, if that kid would have gotten snapped by some dog, the parents could have sued. That just bites!!

I know I usually tell the kid how to approach the dog and stuff

But this time I was talking to the woman in the shop and these people came in - it all happend so fast I was stumped

and the fact that the woman didnt even say anything when the kid had eaten the sweet I figured that she wouldnt really pay any attention to me telling her that a less friendly dog would have gone for the child several times

They dont teach their kids but they dont like other people to either

ad yup as a kid I ran up to strange dogs

and yup I got bit too

But in them days (and im 33) quite alot of the owners took the time to tell me how I should approach a strange dog and how to tell when it was not happy with you beeing there

I was never taught how to approach strange dogs... and I never, ever got bit. And only got chased once, when on a bike at about 18 years of age. However, having had dogs since I was small, I did learn canine body language, so I'm pretty sure I never approached a dog who was giving me "get away" vibes.

Primary difference between then and how, I think, is that NOW when a dog bites a child, it's assumed the dog is vicious, and he's put down immediately. Plus the parents of the kid sue the owner of the dog, because obviously, in our culture, it's important to get MONEY for every minor trauma and inconvenience, even if it was our own fault. That's why it so ticks me off when idiot parents let their kids run at my dog - they're the same idiots who would sue me. No common sense, no sense of right and wrong.

Mary

Yeah, I usually talk directly to the kids. With Oreo it was pretty important to let kids know the correct way to approach her, NOT to run up and/or grab at her, etc. And the kids were always happy to oblige. The parents never seemed to care that I was telling their kid what to do.

I agree that the stupid comes in all forms. The worst one I ever had was not a kid, but one of my mother's adult extended relatives who was visiting our home. He - for some reason assuming Oreo is smallish and cute and therefore must be sweet and cuddly - gave her a great big bear hug. He's damn lucky we were sitting right there and were able to pull her away before she bit him, because she was totally going to put him in his place for it. Oreo got a lot of treats that day for her restraint. And dad and I both had our mouths hanging open on that one.... what kind of adult does that with a strange dog?? Though apparently - and I wasn't there - a couple years earlier at a family reunion this relative decided to pick up my cousin's rottweiler. Apparently that didn't go very well either. What an idiot.

Now that I have Zoe I *have* to step in between - for her sake, not the kid's. Strangely enough, when I tell the parents she's "not very friendly and afraid of kids" they tend to get really nervous and start barking at their kids to stay away. (Even though *I* know she'd never bite the kid - she'd be the traumatized one!)

Oh yes and then you have people who think they are dog trainers and try to "teach" your dog something. I swear they can often be the worst.

I was giving a talk on therapy dogs to a group of 15 year olds and mentioned *in the talk* that they may notice my dog's tail down futher than normal and while this could be a sign of stress in some canines, that for this particular dog it's actually an indication she's taking her "job" seriously (Maggie does it and still approaches people on her own and responds to cues and task requests on visits no problem and with joy, hence why I know it's a "working" thing).

After the talk I was answering a few questions w/ Maggie on lead by my side but about 4 feet away, when what do I see, but one of the adult assistants doing the Cesar Millan "hold the tail up to increase confidence" thing! She had my dog's tail *up over her back* and was holding it there!! Luckily I mess with Maggie's various parts a lot for situations just like this on visits but OMG WTF did she think she was doing grabbing a strange dog's tail and holding it in an unnatural position without asking?!?! I was so appalled I didn't say anything.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised though - she does the whole CM "psst" thing to other people's dogs without asking too! :rolleyes:

After the talk I was answering a few questions w/ Maggie on lead by my side but about 4 feet away, when what do I see, but one of the adult assistants doing the Cesar Millan "hold the tail up to increase confidence" thing! She had my dog's tail *up over her back* and was holding it there!!

:rolleyes::D

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised though - she does the whole CM "psst" thing to other people's dogs without asking too! :D

I can relate. I have a friend who tries this with my dogs and fosters all the time. She also includes the 3-finger poke in the neck. Drives me crazy. When I see her do it, I go over and remove the dog and tell her that the dog doesn't understand what she is doing. I mean, the pssst, and neck-jab has never accomplished anything other than confuse the dog. One day, she'll do it to the wrong dog and get herself bit.

I can relate. I have a friend who tries this with my dogs and fosters all the time. She also includes the 3-finger poke in the neck. Drives me crazy. When I see her do it, I go over and remove the dog and tell her that the dog doesn't understand what she is doing. I mean, the pssst, and neck-jab has never accomplished anything other than confuse the dog. One day, she'll do it to the wrong dog and get herself bit.

Oh, yeah! Me, too. I know two *trainers* at our dog club do this, and it drives me bonkers.

I have a friend, who, upon meeting Alex for the first time, promptly scooped him up in her arms. Now, keep in mind, he was a young rescue, it was his first time at the training club (overwhelming), he didn't know her at all, and he was very hand shy back then. Well, naturally he didn't like it. He didn't snap, growl or anything like that, but he just stayed still and stiff, with that worried look on his face. It was just too much for him (he still doesn't like being picked up), and yet my friend decided he was aloof and not very interested in people, based on his reaction. She now realizes he's not, but it just goes to show that well intentioned people still do things they shouldn't, with other people's dogs. What if he had snapped at her? Then he would've been labeled aggressive. You just don't run up and scoop up someone's dog...if she had asked first, I would've warned her that he wouldn't like it, and it wasn't such a good idea. *shrugs*

I was never taught how to approach strange dogs... and I never, ever got bit.
I never was, either... Or not formally anyway. I simply 'knew' that you approach strange dogs slowly and watch their reaction carefully; that you didn't mess with another person's dog without permission; and that if I got bit chances are it was my own fault. I learned by watching how others did it. It seems to me, in our increasingly urbanized world, that more and more people are simply not exposed to the kinds of experiences that teach you how to behave around animals.

Mind you, I *have* been bitten by strange dogs, but never by dogs *I* approached - I got nipped by a dog owned by my father's neighbor, when the dog snuck up on me as I was getting out of my car, but I suspect that had something to do with the fact that I was in uniform, and that the dog may have had bad experiences with a uniformed male. No big deal, the dog was *not* vicious, it was simply needing correction. Problem solved, no further incident. The other time was a pair of ill-disciplined mutts that like chasing people on bikes. They closed up on either side of me and went for my ankles. A tap to the ear with my foot as I rode past, once to each dog, and they learned not pester me any more. Problem solved.

I suppose I could've made a big stink in either case, but why? In each case the problem was resolved without repeat. The only times a dog has drawn blood on me were my own dogs, once by pure accidental happenstance, and once due to my own pure fault.

I was at Oatlands SDT one year and this young couple and toddler were strolling through the handler parking area. The couple stood there smiling watching their toddler approach a crated dog (inside a vehicle) wiggling his fingers out in front of him saying “puppy” as he approached the crate. Inside the crate the dog was obviously nervous and was backing up in the crate. The parents were oblivious to the dog's body language and all the signs & announcements about asking permission before petting a dog. As I walked by I said that some dogs can be protective of their crates; with that they scooped up their child and left the handler parking area.

Mark

Guest SweetJordan
I was at Oatlands SDT one year and this young couple and toddler were strolling through the handler parking area. The couple stood there smiling watching their toddler approach a crated dog (inside a vehicle) wiggling his fingers out in front of him saying “puppy” as he approached the crate. Inside the crate the dog was obviously nervous and was backing up in the crate. The parents were oblivious to the dog's body language and all the signs & announcements about asking permission before petting a dog. As I walked by I said that some dogs can be protective of their crates; with that they scooped up their child and left the handler parking area.

Mark

This is even worse. I was at a dog show w/ a vet. And she kept sticking her hands in the dogs crates, and petting dogs w/o asking etc. I didn't know her well enough to say anything, and I figured even if I did she probably wouldn't take it the right way. So I figured that she was a dumbass if she got bit that was her problem. She was new to town and didn't have any friends in the area. She had been treating one of my friend's dogs. So my friends and I thought it would be nice to take her somewhere with us. What a mistake.