BC Boards

Interesting and disturbing

We were out walking the boys (Finn, the BC and Max, the keeshond) yesterday when we came across some people in our neighborhood out walking their dogs, too.

Interesting pair. The woman was walking this wee little red merle sheltie and the man was walking a big, beefy great dane.

We stopped to introduce ourselves and to let the dogs get acquainted. As the woman and I were discussing keeshonds and shelties and shedding I overheard the man tell Mike that Border Collies were great dogs because they are very aggressive and would defend you to the death! In fact, his father had a BC who managed to kill a pit bull. Even though the BC was chained in it's pen at the time (oh, great). And he knew of another occasion where a BC proved victorious over a pit bull. And he'd never get a BC from rescue, because they spayed and neutered and that got rid of the (glorious) aggression. When his great dane dies, he's gettin' him a BC!

Meanwhile, his lady friend began looking at Finn suspiciously and started pulling her sheltie away. Finn was rolled on his back with his tongue hanging out of his mouth begging for a belly rub at the time. Vicious thing!

They're hyperactive, destructive, stark raving mad psychopathic problem dogs too, didn't you know? All of them. Plus, a real BC cannot have brown spots (maybe that explains why Kessie is neither hyperactive nor psycho - she's not BC colour anyway :D ).

Funny how dogs turn people into "experts" wherever they go :rolleyes:.

I know that guy's type. I suspect, although I am not willing to find out firsthand, that they all have very small reproductive organs.

So they choose dogs they think will shore up their own self-esteem. Even though these humans sometimes appear to be he-men (or sometimes she-women), they are in reality big girls' blouses. To compensate, they choose dogs with a potential for aggression and subtly (or overtly) encourage the behavior. Because, y'know, it takes great big brass ones to own a badly behaved dog. :rolleyes: Needless to say, gonadectomy is anathema to these folk, even though in most of their own cases it would involve micro-surgery.

People like that are the reason I got out of chows. Every chow breeder I knew had to deal with a dozen redneck jerks to find one decent home.

I don't have the study handy, but a spayed dog is MORE likely to be aggressive.

Most of my BCs would protect me with their lives, but given that they are 30 lbs wet and built like whippets I would bet on the pit bull every time! They also don't start fights. I had a foster BC who attacked me and Flyboy came flying through the air and knocked him off of me before he could do any damage, but he didn't fight the dog. After he knocked him down he just gave him the evil eye while I got a hold of him to lock him up.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have never owned a Border Collie are such "experts" on them... :rolleyes:

Same here. One of my pet peeves....

OT, if you run into these people again, please tell them you hope they do their homework before getting a bc because a 'real' bc isn't like that. JJ weighs in at 56# for now with some very powerful jaws but if he got into a fight with a PB, my money's on the pitt.

The red merle Sheltie was probably one of those "Mini Aussies" (with a tail though).

Wow are those people ever ignorant. I know a pit bull could kill my Border Collie but i can tell you

one thing-----IT WOULD NEVER CATCH HIM!!!! :rolleyes:

In her defense, the lady didn't say red merle, that was me assuming it was a red merle because of it's markings. But looks like I should have said sable merle (I'm not up on the terminology re: shelties).

It was definitely a sheltie and it was definitely a merle and it had lots of red/sable rather than blue/gray....so I did a google search to see if I was completely off my nutter.

Sable Merle picture

OT, if you run into these people again, please tell them you hope they do their homework before getting a bc because a 'real' bc isn't like that.

You know that would be a colossal waste of my breath, don't you? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm I might get defended if my pockets were full of cookies, a frisbee hung around my neck, tennis balls in one hand, a fluffy squeeky toy in the other and was standing in the middle of an agility course...and thats after they raided my pockets for the cookes, played with the toys, and ran the agility equipment a time or two :rolleyes:

The next time you run into someone who has never owned a BC yet considers himself/herself to be an "expert" on the topic, and knows more than you do based your research and participation on this forum, please let me know. I would be interested as to what that person has to contribute, as I am sure that all of us would.

I agree that people are so stupid sometimes. They think because "someone they know had this dog that killed this dog" it must be true.

My Black Jack might protect me if I had his frisbee but other than that he just wants to see everyone and play. I really can't see any BC killing a pit bull. But he did say it was chained in his kennel, right? A chain is the easiest way to turn a sweet BC into a killing machine. I have seen more than one BC ruined beause someone just put them on a chain all day. It's sad though.

You know that would be a colossal waste of my breath, don't you?

That's the same way I feel about trying to tell people how importiant good dog food is. I swear, every person in this stupid little town just feeds them what ever is on sale. Try talking someone into switching foods that cost about 20 more a bag.

Argh!

I was at the flea market the other day, and everyone was cooing over one of those little "stick it in the grass" playpen/kennel type thingies one of the vendors had. I wandered over, and there were FOUR babies in it: two sets of twins born 10 months apart. (AIIEE!!) They were all so little you couldn't tell one set from the other - I think they were about 14 months and 24 months now. So I let Buddy lie down where the kiddies could see him, and the woman was remarking what a nice dog he was, and how her husband told her that when they got a dog, it would definitely be a border collie, because they are so smart. I tried to explain the whole thing about nipping children and herding, and how they don't necessarily make the best family pets. (All the while picturing this poor woman trying to control her four toddlers AND housebreak a border collie puppy AND walk him sometimes.) She said yes, she had heard all that, but her husband felt that if they started with a puppy, and it grew up with the kids, everything would be fine. ::Sigh:: I just figure that's another dog in a shelter in a couple years.

Another neighborhood family with toddlers had the most adorable merle aussie pup. I used to see him tied out in his yard about 6:00 at night. I'd go to say "hi," and visit. He was around for maybe a month. Don't see him anymore. A simple bit of research about herding dogs would have told that woman to get a different breed.

I guess people won't listen, once they get their minds set on something.

Mary

Guest SweetJordan

I've noticed that a lot of people that I've talked to think that a BC is just like the lassie type collie or a sheltie. My neighbors think that and I've tried to explain to them how BCs are a different breed and what makes them different, but they still don't understand. My neighbor even asked my BC if she wanted to come home with him. And I thought yeah you would make a great home for a BC. He's never home, never owned a dog before, and doesn't exercise.

There's a BC that lives near me who I've wanted to rescue. He/she spends most of their time chained up outside to a dog house even though they have a fenced in backyard. I have noticed that they do let the dog in the house. But I doubt that he/she gets any exercise. I'm out at all different times. I pretty much know who takes their dog out for exercise, and for how long. I've never once seen this dog outside of it's yard. And he/she is very overweight. It is possible that the dog could have a medical condition, but from what I've observed that isn't very likely.

When I was 13 yrs old I had my first border collie. I was raised in KY, & my folks believe dogs should be outside. ONe day I came home from school, walked around to the back of the house to climb into the unlocked back window (the way we got into the house when mom was gone) only to discover my border collie on his chain being ripped to shreds by a pit bull. I'll never forget that dog shaking my dogs in his mouth like a chew toy, with blookd streaks up against the side of the off-white barn....... He lived thru it but had to get mass stitches in his head.

My 2nd border collie got attacked by a german shepherd when I was around 21. That was horrifying- when i think of what could have happened to me, because I was kicking that dog over and over in her stomach and head and she wouldnt let go of my dog. My neighbor came out with a giant metal pole and just started beating the dog and she still wouldnt let go, didnt even phase her. Finally a man came out, and when the GS heard that deep male voice, she dropped everything and started wagging her tail, my dog ran off and was missing for three days in a snow storm, with me tracking blood drips through the snow. He came hobbling towards me as I was posting up more flyers on 3rd day a few bolcks from home.

the GS was put to sleep, apparently had been attacking dogs left and right, and the owner paid for surgery on my dogs elbow, was ripped in two, puncture wounds all over his neck.

My dog was never the same after that- he would intimidate supposedly aggressive, HUGE dogs with his teeth- I always feared he'd get in another fight but other dogs just straight up BACKED off!!! it was funny, but not, if ykwim.

Anyways, I wouldnt bet my life that a BC could win a fight with a GS, Pitbull, or any other truly aggressive dog. They are too gentle, imho.

One last thing- Mary- I dont know how much you know about your neighbors little aussie but I once was griped at by a neighbor for getting rid of my sibe- which wasnt my dog in the first place- I was only watching it for my sister. she also assumed I never walked it because I kept him outside during the day, but really I was walking him 3-5 miles a day, it was just before she got out of bed. When I told her how it really was the look on her face was priceless- sooo....... just a thought

cheers