BC Boards

Who has good balls?

Hi,

I knew that would get your attention! :rolleyes:

We are trying to find a non destructible good-sized ball for Cody to "play soccer" with. He loves pushing a big ball around the yard with his snout and legs. We enjoy throwing it for him too.

He has quickly deflated, with his teeth and nails, a supermarket-bought plastic ball and a real soccer ball. I know there are some indestructible dog balls but they seem to be pretty small, a little larger than a tennis ball and we are looking for something larger. Also it can't be too heavy as he's still a puppy. Any suggestions and also where can I buy the ball you suggest? Thanks!

I'd also love to know if there is a tougher version of a soccer ball. What size do you buy? That might make a difference in how hard Cody needs to bite down. I use size 3 and it's ratty but holding up for months now.

There is a Jolly Ball that is puncture resistant and won't deflate when it is punctured, but it just isn't the same as a soccer ball. There's also a very hard Jolly Ball (I think that's what they're called) which even Quinn can't bite through, but again not as fun for him as a soccer ball. Since he's so hard on his toys, there's a whole host of them that only come out when I can supervise his play. Otherwise he destroys them. That includes his soccer ball. He's ga ga for most of his toys, but that one is probably his all time favorite.

The favorite with our dogs is a large Jolly ball with a cotton rope through the middle. The rope wears out first, but you can replace it. The ball eventually becomes lumpy and partially collapses, but the dogs seem to like them even better that way.

It is the favorite retrieving toy at our house. You can kick it like a soccer ball, or throw it with the rope as a handle. Makes a good tug toy also.

--Michael

Based on the title, I had already composed my answer, until I saw what the topic was really about. It was somewhat of a letdown. I was reminded of the time I read "Of Human Bondage" with a preconceived notion about the topic; not what I thought it was going to be about at all...

I'd better stop here, before Dixie Girl sends me to my crate again...

Bustopher Jones, I'm starting to think you like it when DixieGril sends you to your crate :rolleyes: lol.

We have a six inch and a BIG Jolly Ball as well as two deflated soccer balls, one deflated volley ball, a rigid basketball, a softball, numberous velvet balls, a fluffly ball and about 30 tennis balls oh and a handfull of chuck it balls. (FYI Jolly Balls were developed for horses to play with)

Meg loves the small Jolly Ball because it has a handle. She chews the handle and grabs the ball by the sides. (The plug will go immediately) But she doesn't collapse or deflate it. Currently, its somewhere in the blackberries. She likes the huge Jolly Ball and retrieves it without much difficulty despite its being almost bigger than she is. (Except for the day my husband filled it with water. That was a go to your crate day for him!) Mostly she uses it when she is left on her own devices and seems happy to tackle and fall off of it.

The chuck it and its heavier construction are the balls of choice for her...with tennis balls a quick second. I know that cheetahs and gazelles move faster, but she makes that very very hard to believe. Meg returns the ball to where we scrape the ground with the 'chuck it', zooms like the wind out to the target zone where she gets into a crouch and waits for the ball. YOU NEED A VERY LONG unobstructed run for this!!!! Our driveway happens to be perfect.

I found a KONG ball in Petsmart, and it turns out to be perfect. I was using Pinky Balls, but although they are good, they do wear out in a few months or weeks depending on use. The KONG ball is as indestructable as the original KONG, is bright red (shows up in grass or bushes) and fits a chucker perfectly. About $8.00.

We have a Jolly Ball that is Purple, probably about 6" dia. I'd guess with a handle. Belle loves it. BJ loves his totally deflated soccer balls and footballs. We took away his basketballs because of the damage they were doing to his teeth. (Wearing them done from his chewing on them.)

Our pups don't really like to tennis balls that much. Now that our entire yard is finally fenced in, maybe we'll try a Chuck It and see if that will change.

I myself love the clutch ball. My dogs don't like the real hard plastic ones, they prefer the hard rubber feel of a ball.

So I like the big clutch balls as they can herd them and that makes them happy.

See here:

http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=1054

and:

http://thepuppyshop.com/clandgrba.html

My dogs love the Holey Roller ball - - is very lightweight - easy to throw or kick and easy for them to pick up- the one they have is over a year old and no worse for wear than when it was new - - just know that it DOES NOT float!! We lost Tess's first one to the ocean last summer! :rolleyes:

http://www.petco.com/shop/product.aspx?sku...86cm_ite=908886

Basketballs last a while. But when their time has come they all go "pfffft" :D .

The only real survivors I've come across are the large and fairly hard balls they sell in our town's toy shop:

DSCF2049kl.jpg

As you see, the ball's size stops her from getting her teeth in. But the farmers here all use barb wire fence, and she knows how to stick them on it and make them chewable ("pfffft") :D .

Good luck with your search! :rolleyes: