BC Boards

What makes a Border Collie owner tick

I am gettting my first Border Collie next week (I think I have mentioned that on here at least a hundred times now, but I am VERY excited!). So, I have been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on about the breed so I can be the best mom I can to my new pup and do everything at least semi-right. The one thing I keep coming across and noticing is that Border Collie owners seem to be a special species all of their own.

For instance, one article I read said that BC owners love their dogs so much and care for them to the point that they know how much their dog poops a day and can tell if they are pooping too much, or too little, and then worry about it. Heh. He was saying it in humor, but you get the point he is making. In general, they just seem to adore their dogs much more than owners of other breeds. Even just on these boards, you all have such great bonds with your dogs and talk about them as if they are your first-born child (you know how EVERYTHING your first child does is amazing.)

I have two Aussie's and I must say when they walk into the room, the atmosphere changes, and the whole room lights up. I have loved my dogs before, but my Aussie's really have my heart. It is something about their personalities and the way their worlds revolve around me (all the time). Maybe it is just a narcissistic thing, heh. I know most Border Collie's have that same, 'gotta be with my person every second I can' kind of thing but I am wondering if that is all it is. Maybe it is because they are so smart that at some unconscious, or consious, level, you relate to them more like a person?

I am just curious to hear what you have to say on exactly what it is that makes the relationship between a BC owner and his/her dog so unique, because I am 100% sure this is so, and, were you all like this with other dogs you have owned, or is it the BC that has made you like this?

Stupid questions probably, but I think it is worthy of some kind of research project. :rolleyes:

Tammy

We have a Springer Spaniel named Casey who is about 10 years old now. Ruger is 2 years old. Here are some of the differences and similarities that I see.

1. Both are absolute great dogs and companions.

2. Both love car rides.

3. Casey loves to swim in ponds but hates rain and the water hose. Ruger loves getting sprayed with water and will eat the hose when it is left in the yard.

4. Ruger is a fanatic about playing Frisbee, with a ball or whatever. Casey will quit after just a few minutes and then go lie in the shade.

5. Casey is a well trained dog who we considered smart. Casey doesn't hold a candle to how smart Ruger is. I actually tried to teach Ruger to distinguish numbers I put on four of his Frisbees. Sometimes he gets it and other times he doesn't. I would never try that with Casey because she just wouldn't get what I was trying to do.

6. Ruger's goal in life is to please me to the uttmost. Casey is more independent and has ignored me at times.

7. I totally trust Casey around strange kids and people. I don't have that same trust with Ruger.

8. This very second, Ruger is two feet away from me. Casey is upstairs.

9. Casey is a dream to walk. Ruger still pulls on his leash. This drives me nuts.

10. Casey is a lot of fun to wrestle with. I don't wrestle with Ruger. He has bit the snot out of me. The difference is the soft mouth gun dog verses the herding dog.

My girl is a suspected BC/ACD cross - she is my heart dog. :rolleyes: Maggie is my heart dog for several reasons:

1. I rescued her from euthanasia at the shelter I volunteered at (she was on the list and pulled for me 15 mins before they started)

2. She was 11 mo and I'm her 4th owner - she knows how special I am and I know how special she is I think

3. She had behavioral quirks/issues when I adopted her and we've spent hours and hours over the years working together to resolve them

4. She's not obnoxious, in your face, licky like a lot of dogs (I hate that), but she will snuggle for brief periods and lick me when asked.

5. I actually have to think about her mind - she gets all sorts of puzzle toys and mental exercise because I know if she doesn't bad things might happen

6. She's intuitive - I rarely have to ask her to come snuggle with me when I'm sad or coax her on a walk if I'm feeling adventurous

I got Maggie because I liked her as an individual when I met her at the shelter - not because of her breed mix (though the acd ticking really caught my eye). She is an amazing dog and we have a bond closer than anything I've ever had w/ an animal.

Sometimes, I'm sure it is the BC that makes the change from "just having a dog" to "life revolving around the dog." BCs (and some other herding breeds) are just like that. Owner realizes that the dog needs that much attention/time of day to be sane and then they start to enjoy spending that much time every day with their dog. The bonding comes with that. Some dogs are just satisfied with lying around or watching squirrels in the backyard all day, and their owners get used to the dog doing his own thing.

Other times, I think people with that attitude about their pets, regardless of breed, are attracted to BCs. They find that for every bit of effort they put into their BC, they get it back tenfold, and they fall in love with the breed.

I am gettting my first Border Collie next week (I think I have mentioned that on here at least a hundred times now, but I am VERY excited!). So, I have been reading anything and everything I can get my hands on about the breed so I can be the best mom I can to my new pup and do everything at least semi-right. The one thing I keep coming across and noticing is that Border Collie owners seem to be a special species all of their own.

Tammy, congratulations to you! I have not read you previous 'hundred' posts (haha) but it sounds as though you have put (and are continuing to put) a lot of thought into raising your puppy. That's nice to hear. And no, there are no stupid questions when it comes to responsible 'motherhood!' Just as long as certain questions are answered well in advance of bringing the little bundle of furry toy-mangling, mail-eating, chair-leg-chewing joy home, heh.

I think that most border collie owners are a special species as well. There's a reason that the majority of us chose this breed, right? I think it takes a certain kind of mindset to fully appreciate these dogs. My family thought I was nuts when I informed them 10 years ago that I was getting a border collie but it didn't take them long to see just why I wanted one so badly. I do not 'own' Barra in the traditional sense of the word, nor do I consider her to be just a pet. Not that she's perfect, mind you...but she is perfect for me. And, after 10-ish years, very little needs to be communicated verbally anymore because she is so in tune to what I'm up to. She is quietly intense, she is highly protective, she is nosy, she is sensitive, she is affectionate but not embarrassingly so, and she just wants to be wherever I am...not to interfere or get in my face, but just to BE there. It is immensely comforting to know she's around, too.

I know that other people have similar thoughts about their dogs, and not all of those dogs will be border collies, of course. We just hear more about border collies. These are not dogs for everybody (thank the heavens) but once you get that connection, it's pretty tough to look at other dogs the same way again!

As an adult, we've had two Bull Terriers (one super wonderful, the other a nice dog), and four Bouviers (one super wonderful, one great with issues, one OK, one with MANY issues - our present girl Jessie.)

I never planned to have another dog, but in my volunteer work photographing shelter dogs, I learned many things. I was a breed snob and a purebred snob until I met and photographed hundreds of very nice dogs of mixed breeds or breeds I thought I just didn't care for = Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Labs, even a few Chihuahuas. However, I noticed that I was almost always strongly attracted to Border Collies. I ended up taking Meg home after she had been in the shelter too long and was getting depressed. A nice Border Collie lady wanted to adopt her, but Meg wouldn't leave the back of the kennel. I couldn't leave her, so I took her home to "foster" and ended up falling in love.

Ruby was a similar story. The Border Collie rescue lady couldn't take her for a while, so we had her spayed at the shelter (big mistake) and brought her home. She got very sick with kennel cough, giardia, and the aftereffects of the spay. While nursing her back to health, Kathy fell in love so we kept her two (ANOTHER failed foster).

Since then, we have pulled 42 Borders and Aussies from two shelters for Inland Northwest Rescue www.inlandnwrescue.com There were a few I would have LOVED to keep, but we are at the legal limit of four, and Jessie has to be kept separated from both Borders at all times. Also, Meg has grown very devoted and possessive of me, and I can't be too affectionate to another dog without her objecting.

I have to say, as much as I loved some of my earlier dogs and as much as I like and admire many dogs I have photographed at the shelters (6,000!!) I know that I never want anything else than a Border. They are all quirky, high maintenance in one way or another, but they give you so much in return for your time and attention. Plus, they are just plain fun to be around!

Steward Robbins

I have a lab and a BC. The lab is biddable, sweet and calm in the house. The BC is quirky, high energy, never stops, can be manipulative, challenging, sound sensitive and harder to figure out. I LOVE her more because of all the things I listed. I enjoy the challenge and the quirkiness in dogs. Oh and I can't help loving her even more for her looks! :rolleyes:

Everyone here has really good answers but I have a hard time answering your question.

We did our homework before getting our 1st bc, JJ and we found out, no matter how much reading and research you do, there's nothing like experience! And now, there is no other breed we would have.

Aussies are good dogs but if I were you, try not to compare your bc to them. What works for your Aussies might not work with your bc. Training a bc, to me, requires a different way of thinking.

But that's just my opinion.

I am just curious to hear what you have to say on exactly what it is that makes the relationship between a BC owner and his/her dog so unique, because I am 100% sure this is so, and, were you all like this with other dogs you have owned, or is it the BC that has made you like this?

I think BC owners are both born AND made. These dogs are not for the casual owner who doesn't have much time to train, play or just be with their dogs. I have always been crazy about my dogs, since the first one I had at age 10. And I have always spent a lot of time with them training, playing, hiking and going to obedience and agility trials. Yet somehow it is different with Quinn. He makes everything such a blast. Before I got Quinn I never thought I'd find a breed I loved more than Shelties, but he has converted me to the Border Collie way of life. He is the most fun dog I've had and I can't imagine being without a BC now.

As far as keeping track of poop, well, that is something Dog People (as opposed to uncapitalized dog people) tend to do. It cracks me up how often discussion with my club friends will turn to dog poo. I know how often my dogs are going because I am always outside with them and I pick up immediately. So I could tell you, (but I won't! :rolleyes:) how often each of my dogs have pottied today and what the quality of their output was.

How old is your Border Collie? One thing you should be aware of is BC puppies are very different from well trained, well socialized adult BC's. I felt like I brought home a coyote puppy when I got Quinn and had a hard time for the first month or so. I had had naughty puppies before. And I had had active puppies before. But I never had had such a naughty and active puppy and was a little overwhelmed until I figured out a routine that worked for us. Plus, of course, he kept maturing, grew an attention span, that kind of thing. Now I can't imagine a more perfect dog for me.

Thanks so much for your great answers and I must say your dogs are lucky to have you, and vice versa.

The poop thing is very hilarious, and Liz, your comment about the wild coyote cracked me up. I shared that with the breeder I am getting my puppy from and she cracked up as well.

Just a few quick replies.

I wasn't comparing the BC to the Aussie. I was only saying that they both have 'that want to be with their people 24/7' thing, at least in general.

I do love my Aussie's and gave a lot of consideration rather or not to get another Aussie, or a Border Collie. Also, I have been through the naughty puppy thing with my 9 year old Aussie. She chewed the entire left side of my couch off and dug a giant hole in my then new carpet when she was a puppy. Of course, this was actually my fault. She was a puppy being a puppy, and for some stupid reason I thought I could leave her out with my other dog who is 2 years older than her. I learned my lesson on that issue.

My puppy will actually be 6 months when I get him. The lady who owns him lives on a sheep farm in rural Mo. and is very involved with her kids in 4-H and he (my puppy) has been to all kinds of 4-H events and competitions (to watch and be around people, not compete), plus he lives in the house and she has done all of the hard stuff for me already like potty train him and crate train him. She also teaches obedience classes and agility classes and he has gone to those as well. He has participated in obedience but not agility. I do know they are a lot of work but I am sure I am up for it. After all, I was a single mother for 10 years, worked full time, and finished college all at the same time. A Border Collie should be easy compared to that! LOL, I know some of you are going to come back and tell me I am wrong :rolleyes:

I did have another question for Ourboys. You said

Aussies are good dogs but if I were you, try not to compare your bc to them. What works for your Aussies might not work with your bc. Training a bc, to me, requires a different way of thinking.

Could you elaborate on that a bit if you have time. The part about a different way of thinking. Do you learn this as you go? Take your lead from the dog? Thanks!

Anyway, it is great to know that all of you are out there and are more than helpful and encouraging to those of us who need help and encouragement.

Tammy

my relationship with my BCs is definitaly different from my relaionship with my Toller and Terrier. lets see...

I will relate to Happy, as she is my first BC, and my heart dog.

1. Happy is cirrently asleep at my feet. my Toller, I have no cle and my Terrier is outside, where I put him because he;s a pain.

2. my Terrier is EXTREMLY smart, but only trainable in things he feels like doing. my Toller just wants food lol. Happy, I can tell her to do somthing I have never said before and she will do it, dont need any actually training, dont need food, dont need toys.

3. my Toller and Terrier I treat like, well dogs, they get annoying I stiock em in the yard lol. Happy I speak to and treat as of she is a human pal, when I go out with friends, Happy comes along, heck she gets invited along more then I do lol. I take out the garbage, Happy follows along, opens the gate for me etc.. I go to the park with friends, we all pick a little pedstal to stand on and play catch while trying not to fall off, Happy also hops on a pedistal and plays with as if she is just another person. these are things I could never ever do with my other breeds.

My puppy will actually be 6 months when I get him.

Oh, that's a great age! I really start to enjoy my dogs once they reach 6 months. And Quinn went overnight from the worst puppy I ever had to the best puppy at right around that age. He was a ton of work but caused the least damage of any of my pups, though not for lack of trying in those first few months. :rolleyes: Sounds like your pup will have had a very nice foundation with lots of exposure to people and different environments and he's had time to grow a decent attention span. If he doesn't have his off switch installed by this point, make that a priority! :D

Hi Tammy!

I've had a number of different breeds of dogs in my life and I've always talked to them as if they were 4 legged people. (Weird, I know.) And they all acted like they knew what I was saying. With my bc's, they seem to actually understand what we say. Both boys have graduated from 3 obedience classes. During JJ's 1st class, his instructor told me once to stop and listen to him. Doing so, he's taught us a lot. (While we were in the process of adopting JJ, I told my DH dogs can understand words. He disagreed saying dogs can't understand words-they understand sounds. A few weeks later we were driving down the road and DH was whispering to me. I finally asked him why and he told me he didn't want JJ to hear him. I told him "Sweetie, JJ's hearing is a lot better than mine and if you whisper loud enough for me to hear, he's going to hear it too. You're just going to have to get use to the fact JJ easedrops.")

With my boys, I found out, if I respect them, they will respect me in return. Respected past dogs and past dogs showed me respect but with JJ and Jake, I feel they respect me because they want to...Not because they were trained to. BC's are sensitive dogs. A 'no!' will work a lot faster than a swat on the butt. (I'm not saying you will do that. I just know people who do.) And they stare at you a lot. Even when they are just laying on the floor, I can look over and see one of them looking at me.

JJ and Jake are as different from each other as they are alike. Jake has more herding instinct but JJ has more 'eye'. Jake is thunderphobic but if he hears a sound in the woods after dark, he goes and checks it out. JJ has never been bothered with storms but if he hears a sound in the woods after dark, he comes running to me and barks at the noise while standing behind me. JJ is head-strong and tries tell me what to do. Jake aims to please. Both of us had to take JJ to class-DH listened to the instructor while I was taking JJ through commands or he was disruptive (waiting for the others to do their thing was not JJ's forte). Jake went to classes because he was obsessed with other dogs. Totally embarrassed me at an agility event one time. Yet, after the 1st couple of classes, he became the perfect student.

I think the advice from the instructor to listen to my dogs is some of the best advice I ever got.

Sometimes, I'm sure it is the BC that makes the change from "just having a dog" to "life revolving around the dog." BCs (and some other herding breeds) are just like that. Owner realizes that the dog needs that much attention/time of day to be sane and then they start to enjoy spending that much time every day with their dog. The bonding comes with that. Some dogs are just satisfied with lying around or watching squirrels in the backyard all day, and their owners get used to the dog doing his own thing.

Other times, I think people with that attitude about their pets, regardless of breed, are attracted to BCs. They find that for every bit of effort they put into their BC, they get it back tenfold, and they fall in love with the breed.

I agree totally. Oh I had dogs in my lifetime, great dogs, smart dogs, ones that followed my every move. i guess the closest I ever came to my BC was a lab/collie mix I had who went everywhere and did everything with me. I have loved them all.

But Getting a BC pup was a life changing event. Closest thing to a kid I ever had,, wow my life revolves around him now. I just spent vacation with him this week, did I enjoy it more then leaving home for a trip, (getting ready, packing, boarding the dog,, FEELING GUILTY for boarding the dog :D , coming home, doing laundry and putting all the stuff away,,,)

Heck YEA!!! :D Have I given up my friends who don't want a dog tagging along with me,, YUP

:rolleyes: OH there is magic in those eyes,, a spell that grabs your heart and won't let go, and funny thing is, they are smart enough to know it too :D

Pia

post-7589-1183863878_thumb.jpg

"Closest thing to a kid I ever had" Absolutely. JJ knows I'm the Alpha yet he is the kid that understands everything I say but still tests the limits.

"OH there is magic in those eyes" The eyes, yes, the eyes. There's a wisdom and understanding in those eyes I've never seen in another dog. It's almost like they're human eyes in a dog's body.

And their faces are so expressional!

When I was a young kid, from 13-16, I volunteered at the humane society in Corvallis, Oregon. Thats what made me a dog lover. Being around so many awesome dogs that really belonged to nobody. I felt like they were mine in a way :rolleyes: And I grew attached to them and dogs in general. Soon I was attending all the local agility trials, obedience trials, etc. I met a lot of people who had border collies and australian shepherds and the two breeds quickly became my favorites. For more than 10 years this went on until I was confident that I could give a dog what it needed in life, and then I got Lance. I really dont see myself getting any other breed of dog for the rest of my life, though I have owned a Lab, American Eskimo Dog, German Shepherd Dog, Various Mutts (including a BC/Rottweiler X) that was much more BC than Rottie, a dumb little daschund, a lhasa apso, and more. Border Collies are truely the best dogs all-around, IMO. I cant wait till number 2 finally joins us :D

Guest LJS1993

In my opinion what makes us tick is the fact that you really have to be a dog lover to have a BC. I say that because they are very special dogs in so many ways. No other breed of dog can be so connected with their masters every move and intention. This breed of dog is in so many ways the perfect companion. However I believe Border Collie owners are generally much more intelligent and thoughtful when it comes to handling their dogs. I say this because this breed is so intelligent and requires alot of love, discipline, care, and general maintenance.

When I got my first BC in 1987- I just wanted a dog that was good on our farm. She wasn't papered, but her Dad was. I fell in love with this dog. We bonded so quickly. Training was so easy. I wondered "Is it the breed or the dog?" So.......I had to get another one to find out- LOL. It was the breed, although, my first BC was my :rolleyes: dog. I have her ashes to be put to rest with mine- ok I'm strange- I'm now on my 7th BC. I'll tell you, it's a lot easier to get them when you have another to "train" each other. Usher has been quite the challenge dog, but I'm putting so much training into him and quality time, he will probably end up my best dog.

Although I'm not as active as I was - Usher and I do a lot of things. Border collies are amazing dogs. You just have to get used to them on a day to day basis. Besides other activities, it's ......fold a shirt, throw the ball, fold some socks, throw the ball. You get used to it. LOL.

P.S. I have a doggy door- he can take care of his own poop- tee hee

I really can't add anything to what everyone else has already said. But I do know BC owners are different than normal dog owners. (not better, just different :D) We are all a little bit addicted to them and love spending every minute around them. BC owners are the type of people that come home from a hard day of work and spend a few more hours playing with a tennis ball, throwing toys, and going over commands. When I go to town without him I keep thinking about getting home to see him. I think BC owners are different because they care so much about keeping them happy, and well cared for. Like I told Beth today, you know you love your dog if you care more about what he eats than what you eat.

Even my parents and my brother make fun of me for wanting to spend every minute I can with him. There are times I just lay on the floor and watch him play or chew on bones.

I know how much poop he poops a day also, and if he's behind or going more each day. Which reminds me, he only went once today :rolleyes::D I also know when/where he'll go so if we're going somewhere I know where he'll go.

I think as far as training goes it's things like quirks and moods that you deal with. Like I know with Black Jack not to hug him on his left side unless lets me, or grab his sides when we're playing. Stuff like that triggers old memories I guess. He was abused so that does effect quirks like that though. Some days he loves to do tricks and go over the baisc commands and others he would rather play or take a nap. (more than likely play)

The egg came first, as every knee-high dino nerd could tell you...but I think in my case it might have been the chicken.

I went looking for a dog (with something like a big mutt in mind) - didn't know anything about border collies. I basically needed someone to live for.

Funny that I ended up with a breed that makes even "normal" people live for their dogs! And BCs are a rarity in this area. The chances of one being at the shelter at exactly that time were tiny... OK, enough of the conspiracy theory!

What's so special about them is the amount of interest they have, I think. Not just interest in their own world, but in yours, too. I used to dog-sit for other people, and it was different. It's hard to explain. It used to be "Should I do something with the dog now, or should I do some of my own stuff now while the dog waits?".

Nowadays, the question is "Do I do something WITH my border collie, or do I try to do some of my own stuff AROUND my border collie?". She even wants to help me tie my shoes :rolleyes: (at the moment, the two of us are working on a presentation about Devonian fishes). If you LIKE to live like that, then you're a BC nut - even if you lack some of the "typical" BC nut characteristics. I'm still a mutt person at heart. But I can no longer imagine having a dog who doesn't wish to take part in everything that's going on.

You know, I can only think that as a BC owner for many years , my main reason for having this breed is the energy they have, I love to see my badger so happy after a long day at work with me. I also reckon we must all be a bit loopy :rolleyes: as this wonderfull breed can be absolutly crazy and do the maddest things. Mind you Bager is soooo laid back he is a rareity i am sure in the BC world. You have to want to really be part of a dogs life to have a BC as they can be so demanding in a lovly way, Badger is 13 now but still as manipulateing and cheeky as ever. Good luck with your BC, you will be hooked forever :D

it's ......fold a shirt, throw the ball, fold some socks, throw the ball. You get used to it. LOL.

LOL when I read this!! :D

The biggest change in this household,

learning to do everything one handed while throwing said Toy with other hand :D

I adjusted,,, which only means BC owners can be TRAINED too :rolleyes:

Pia

All my life I was a "normal", non-bc dog owner. I fed them, they got loved on, they got whatever they needed.....but they were just the dogs, you know what I mean? I loved them, but my focus was elsewhere.

I think part of what happens when you get involved with a BC is that you actually have to DO something with them. And because you love your dog, and because you pick something the dog will enjoy, and which takes up a lot of time, and which you HAVE to participate in....all of a sudden you stop seeing them as couch potatos, and view them as partners. And I have always paid more attention to my partner than to the dog on the couch in the next room....all of a sudden the small things show up a little more easily, and you work a little harder to make their lives better, because it reflects in the working relationship.

That's the difference I've experienced.

~~~~~

The prequel... I don't know why I love herding dogs, except that I grew up around corgis and became accustomed to that personality type. I love hounds, too, nothing better to me than a big ole Pennmarydel hound, but I have no useful job for a fox hound and don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to keep it contained.

I was thinking about something along these lines the other day. We've been dog sitting my friends 4 year old German Shepard and 10-11 year old cocker spaniel. They're really nice dogs and truth be told, Mollie (Shepard) catches a ball better than my BCs...and doesn't try to play 'keep away' afterwards. That's a nice change. Maggie (cocker) is blind and just wanted a quiet spot to hang out in. But these dogs are 'just dogs' to their owers. I just got to thinking that it's such a shame that more people don't get to know their dogs better. I was talking to my husband about think and I didn't know if was a BC thing or a BC owner thing. Is it that we take so much more time understanding them? I actually feel bad that Mollie was so happy to come and stay for a few days. Because she wasn't very happy to go home.

I admit that I love having dogs that have 'we' on their minds. "what are we doing next?' "are we going to do laundry now?" "when are we going to the park" "WE MUST FIND MY BALL NOW!! IT'S TRAPPED UNDER THE SOFA!!" :rolleyes: