BC Boards

What makes a Border Collie owner tick

Are BC owners a breed apart from other dog owners? An interesting question, and one that has been addressed on this board previously. It has even been suggested that the typical BC owner may favor the breed speficially for its intelligence, and thus seeks a kindred spirit.

I don't really know when I fell in love with the breed. DW claims that it happened several years ago, when I attended a Scottish festival and saw the dogs working. According to her, I was fascinated by their intelligence and work ethic; and even though I did not say anything at the time, she knew that one day we would own one. It may have also transpired on our trip to Scotland for our 35th anniversary; I fell in love with those little black-and-white rascals as I watched them in their native environment. Whatever the reason, Annie is not only the most intelligent dog we have ever owned, but also the most affectionate. So in my case, it appears that the desire to own the breed predated actual ownerhsip; hence, the egg came before the chicken.

These are all great answers and all great things to think about.

I have to say after reading these that they don't sound that much different than my Aussie's as far as the wanting to be involved all of the time, going everywhere with me in the house like my two shadows, and expecting to go with me out of the house the instant they hear my car keys, and wanting to play all the time. I know the BC will have more energy which I am looking forward too actually. My girls are old now (11 and 9) and I have a lot more stamina than they do so sometimes we have to cut things short because I can tell they are getting tired. I know he will be more intelligent as well. I can't wait to see what that is like as my Aussie's are pretty darn smart.

BustopherJones, I fell in love with them at a Scottish Highland festival about 7 years ago too. We go every year just to watch them with the sheep. Ok, the men in kilts is a big draw too, but we do love the dogs :rolleyes:

After reading all of your posts, I am even more convinced that I made the right decision to get a Border Collie.

I look forward to reading more posts on this thread. The one's I have read so far have made me smile, some have made me laugh out loud, and some have made me say aww.

Tammy

I forgot who it was that said the expressions in their faces, but that part is true. You can "see" them thinking. When Usher met my BF's cat- it was different and challenging to say the least. Usher was in play mode. Lucy had Catatude. Usher was on a down stay on the floor while Lucy the cat, was on her back on the couch tempting him with paws....... We had some french fries on the table and he was looking at the fries, then the cat, fries, cat......hmmmm. Plus, was in a stay position. Hard decision. That darn Lucy was doing her best at egging him on. You could see his mind thinking. That's a border collie for you. Also, if they really really want to do something they aren't supposed to- they look at you first, see if you're watching, wonder if it's worth getting in trouble for. Other dogs don't do that. Border collies think things out. They challenge you. Some are timid, some are not- Mine (this time) is not. Some say, the tilting of their heads shows intelligence. Proved true with mine. That might make a good pic theme?

Dianne

All my life I was a "normal", non-bc dog owner. I fed them, they got loved on, they got whatever they needed.....but they were just the dogs, you know what I mean? I loved them, but my focus was elsewhere.

I think part of what happens when you get involved with a BC is that you actually have to DO something with them. And because you love your dog, and because you pick something the dog will enjoy, and which takes up a lot of time, and which you HAVE to participate in....all of a sudden you stop seeing them as couch potatos, and view them as partners. And I have always paid more attention to my partner than to the dog on the couch in the next room....all of a sudden the small things show up a little more easily, and you work a little harder to make their lives better, because it reflects in the working relationship.

That's the difference I've experienced.

~~~~~

Me too! It is funny how when u have to Do something with them, they become part of your life, a part you never had with other dogs. So Amazing to me, and I have to wonder,,, after so many dogs and now a BC owner, would I ever settle for anything else?

I can not think of a better way to spend my retirement years,, (oh a long way off I am dreaming) then with one or two BC's.

Pia

Me too! It is funny how when u have to Do something with them, they become part of your life, a part you never had with other dogs. So Amazing to me, and I have to wonder,,, after so many dogs and now a BC owner, would I ever settle for anything else?

I can not think of a better way to spend my retirement years,, (oh a long way off I am dreaming) then with one or two BC's.

Pia

Pia- I sold 2 of my pups different litters- same breeding to a woman in her late 60's. She used to train poodles in obedience and wanted to try a BC. She loved Darby. Went on and got an OTCH. Then she bought Wickett from another breeding of the same two. She died a few months ago. My mom went and taped her when she was in CA. and I watched her in OR and ID. What a great home and a great owner. She will be missed.

Pia- I sold 2 of my pups different litters- same breeding to a woman in her late 60's. She used to train poodles in obedience and wanted to try a BC. She loved Darby. Went on and got an OTCH. Then she bought Wickett from another breeding of the same two. She died a few months ago. My mom went and taped her when she was in CA. and I watched her in OR and ID. What a great home and a great owner. She will be missed.

Oh that is sweet. God bless her,

I have hope now :rolleyes:

someday I will be a retired BC owner and like the post said, my day will be filled with, 'what are WE going to do today?' :D

There was no pre-mediation here though, I didn't set out to be a BC owner, I was just looking to adopt a dog and there he was! If you believe in karma or whatever you want to call it, could it be that Sandy died when she knew there was another dog we were to rescue and be sure he survived?

U just have to wonder,,,,

Pia