BC Boards

Coat Conditioner

I'm not big on the whole "give the dog a bath" thing ... I normally just play with them with the hose and *viola* clean doggies. This year, their coats are very dry and "blowing coat" has taken on a whole new meaning. I am finding myself bathing and brushing out the dogs a whole lot more often, and I recently looked at the price of doggie shampoo and conditioners and just about fainted.

What shampoo and conditioner do you use ... where do you buy it ... and in what quantity? If you give supplements, what do you give? If you add raw egg to kibble, how often? (No food fight please! :rolleyes: )

Thanks!

Jodi

I don't bathe my dogs much. I do brush them a lot. I buy a shampoo concentrate that lasts forever - "golden almond". I find it easy to rinse out, because it's mixed with water. And I never use conditioner.

I've been lucky in that I haven't really had skin issues with my dogs since I've had them on decent diets. I do supplement with fish oil caps and that's about it.

I use Earthbath shampoo. I love it. It comes in several varieties and I use the Mango tango shampoo/conditioner in one scented kind. I want to try the others, too. I've never had a shampoo do such a great job on the coat. Millie's coat in particular was even more silky soft and smelled wonderfully for a long time. I buy it at Petco in a 16 oz. bottle.

It's made with gentle and environmentally friendly ingredients.

I add a raw egg each to the dogs' kibble a few times a week.

I use Oatmeal Conditioning shampoo made by Kenic that I buy from Jeffers livestock/pet supply. I've also used the Kenic Oatmeal Conditioning spray (every now and then to help keep Missy's tail and "fluff butt" hair managable). Both products have worked great for me and the dogs, I like the smell and the price is quiet resonable - just under $5 for a 16 oz bottle of either one. Missy gets an average of one bath a month during the warmer months and 1 bottle of shampoo lasted about a year for her.

I just started giving both my dogs fish oil regularly. I've been giving it for a while now, but I've been rather sporadic about it. About 3 weeks ago I was noticing how ratty Kipp's coat was looking. He's got a smooth coat, and had been shedding like crazy (I was begining to wonder if I was about to find out what a hairless BC looked like!) and his coat just looked dull. He has been on quality food - Canidae and California Naturals - so I started looking into coat supplements, and was considering making vet appointment (the only time Missy had shed that bad was after she had gone through false pregnancy). I decided to try the fish oil for a couple of weeks and then if things didn't change take him for a vet visit. For the past 2 weeks he's been getting 2, 880 mg fish oil softgels/day (for the first week he got double that), and then a 200 mg vit e and a 1 mg biotin every other day. As I was playing with him today I was noticing how his coat was starting to get shiny again. And when I brushed him I only got 1/2 a brush full of hair instead of at least 2. So maybe's it coincidence, but I suspect the the fish oil is part of the welcome change.

I use whatever whatever human shampoo was cheap and on sale and not tested on animals (right now it's Essentials shampoo from Trader Joe's), or I use whatever I'm using. I don't see any reason to buy dog shampoo. Human shampoo has never hurt my dogs and it costs less. And the times I tried dog shampoo on myself (yes, I have done this) I was not impressed by the cleanliness or texture of my hair, so it seems to me that dog shampoo is of lesser quality.

I have used horse shampoo on my dogs in the past and liked it mostly because it rinses out really fast. My favorite was Rio Vista. It tends to be cheap and dilutable. I don't use horse shampoo anymore because I never have an occasion to visit a tack shop anymore.

Sometimes I use a spray-on conditioner called Glo-Coat on Solo. I ordered it from PetEdge when it was on special. It leaves a nice sheen and supposedly helps repel dirt.

when i got kingsley, his coat was in a really bad condition. Harsh, rough and dry.

i used plush puppy range natural conditioning shampoo and its seabreeze oil.

now his coat is wonderful..

other than that, he's got fish oil, raw egg a couple of time a week, nupro joint and coat supplements

now that hi's shampoo is finishing after 2 years, i'm really tempted to get Origins, Doggy Dip™ Silky coat dog shampoo to try

Hehe, we've used Pert Plus on all our dogs, even when mom was a breeder (she bred labs) thats what we used. I got some no more tears shampoo and conditioner for Shadow tho as it was on sale :rolleyes: We'll see how it works.

Any kind of nice people shampoo that doesn't have a lot of perfume in it -- Johnson's Baby Shampoo seems fine -- and Mane and Tail conditioner, which is supposedly for horses although people use it too. Daisy gets rinsed off quite often but only shampooed at most once a week. Sometimes she gets rinsed off plus some conditioner. It helps her hair be silkier and the foxtails stick in it less tightly.

I am in agreement on good coats coming from good health and nutrition, but in terms of products, I am really liking the Cowboy Magic Rose Water Shampoo. I bathed Starr in it the other day and she *sparkled*. There is a leave-in conditioner, too, that's so good I use it on my own hair. It actually elevates it from rat's nest to bird's nest. :rolleyes:

Guest amylobdell24

The groomer next door to the clinic where I worked used a great product - it's called "Show Sheen" - it's for horses. You mix it with water, put it in a spray bottle, and mist it on after bathing. It puts a silicon coating on each individual hair strand & makes their coat unbelievably silky. It also has the wonderful benefit of making their coats like Teflon - dirt just doesn't stick to it. I've done it to my own dogs several times, and have never seen any adverse skin reactions or anything - they just stay squeaky clean a lot longer!

I've used Show Sheen for years on tails. I've never applied it over skin, though.

Warning that it can make the animal's coat a bit slippery. If you use it on a dog who wears clothes to work...a vest, booties, etc, you wouldn't want to put it on their hair under that stuff or they'll slide off.

Ask me how I know this.... :rolleyes:

I like Earthbath products and Buddy Wash (bonus, you can use it on yourself in a pinch!). Never tried any coat conditioners, but when I was treating Jack for demodex, I would give him a medicated bath, followed by a rinse of warm water with about 1/2 teaspoon of tea tree oil. I loved the way his coat felt and smelled after that. (I don't do this anymore, though)

Anyhoo, I have to echo Maralynn's thoughts. I have never seen anything improve the softness and shine of a dog's coat like the addition of fish oil.

I couldn't find the link I was looking for, but here's basically the same info from dogaware.com

Recommended amount is 1000mg fish oil (containing 300mg combined DHA/EPA) per 30 pounds (14kg) of body weight. Maximum dosage for dogs with health problems would be 1000mg per 10 pounds (4.5kg) of body weight. Vitamin E should also be given whenever oils are supplemented (even small amounts are adequate, but highest recommended dosage would be 100 IU per day for small dogs, 200 IU for medium-sized dogs, and 400 IU for large dogs).

So, it all depends on the size of the dog. I give my three (25, 35, 50 lbs) 1000 mg fish oil (which contains 360 mg DHA/EPA) and 200 IU vitamin E. Yeah, one's a little smaller and one's a little bigger, but I think the averages are about right.

Here's another thread on the subject:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=5289

I use a mild human shampoo on my dogs as well and have never had a problem. I also sup. with canned salmon, excellent form of fish oil also high in calcium, and I splash a little olive oil or flax oil in their feed as well. All my dogs have pretty nice and shiny coats, and little Stella's hair feels like a bunny :rolleyes: you can't beleive how soft it is.

The amount of Omega 3 fatty acids in the dog's diet will do more for coat than any shampoo. That said, I do think shampoo matters as some will dry out the coat too much.

I like Kelco's Pennyroyal and Plum White shampoos. They smell wonderful and leave the coat very soft. Unfortunately, they're also hard to find you can't order directly from them and have to find a distributor or store that sells it.

I'm currently using Nature's Specialties as I can find this sold locally. They also leave the coat soft and have a whitening shampoo (Zeb has so much white that this is a must).

I love ALL of Chris Christensen shampoos, conditioners and detanglers. GREAT stuff...the ice on ice is the best. And for damaged fur the Silk Spirits liquid silk protein is great as well. Just used some on my ratty looking Belgian and he came out looking like a show dog. :rolleyes:

It is expensive stuff but it is a concentrate so you really do get a lot for you money.....

Cheers

Julie

Jake gets the Earthbath line, and this shampoo does more for him than any other shampoo (which isn't saying much, though, since I used to OCCATIONALLY bathe him, and only with whatever dog shampoo I'd find at Walmart or Superstore). I tried one shampoo from Petsmart once, it did the same thing as the shampoos from the grocery store. Then I tried Earthbath and, even though I'd brushed him out good right before the bath, during the bath, hair was just coming off him and going down the drain! And when he was dry, there was no undercoat covering his skin whenever I'd part the hair! I was converted then and there! lol. And his coat stayed shinier and silkier for longer than with the other shampoos, too.

I noticed someone said that they'd tried the shampoo on themselves and didn't get any result, but you know what? I use Jake's Earthbath shampoos and conditioner on myself and my hair looks GREAT! It takes time, though; the first couple of weeks, I wasn't sure if there was any difference, but within a month, anyone could tell. Mom tried it once, too, after seeing what it did with me, but she didn't see any difference (she only used it once, though). I tried it only as an experiment, as I was wondering if the lower PH in the shampoo would help my scalp issues (itchy and flakey and build-uppy), and yes, it did. My scalp feels so much better now and I'm not scratching so much, lol. The plus with the Earthbath, though, is that it lasts forever. The nozzle thing is so tiny, yet just the little bit of shampoo in your hand lathers up really easily and I can spread it throughout my whole hair (which is thick, by the way). Other (human) shampoos, I'd have to fill up my whole palm and even then it was iffy if it'd lather up enough for me to spread it around my whole head.

I've used Show Sheen for years on tails. I've never applied it over skin, though.

Warning that it can make the animal's coat a bit slippery. If you use it on a dog who wears clothes to work...a vest, booties, etc, you wouldn't want to put it on their hair under that stuff or they'll slide off.

Ask me how I know this.... :rolleyes:

Did the saddle twist all the way around :D

I use Orvus shampoo and a little Show sheen

If that horse hadn't been wearing a breast plate I'd have been riding it's tail right before I hit the deck, like my pad did.

:rolleyes:

Good thing I'm a nimble little monkey.

:D