BC Boards

Breakfast or supper?

Which does your BC prefer? Black Jack is a supper pupper :rolleyes: He won't hardly touch his breakfast most of the time, but supper is a different story (if he ate breakfast by two or three in the after noon) And what do you put on the food to make it more eatable? I use a dog cookie, and sometimes a milk bone crushed over the top of it. I haven't gotten to fancy with it yet.

Molly prefers the meal that she gets us to do weird stuff to. Attempting to get food into her can include: water, rice, mashed potato, broth, a bit of meat, oil, a raw egg, a bit of the acana food we're planning to switch her to, hard boiled egg, pasta, a bit of pear...

actually, the acana tends to be really effective.

this morning i mixed in a large spoonful of rice. molly ate most of the rice... and left about 3/4 of the dry food, some of it on the floor where she shoved it to get it out of the way because i mixed the rice in really well.

I used to have dogs that would pick at their food. I stopped it by feeding them once a day in the evening, and taking up anything that they hadn't eaten within 20 minutes. They learned pretty quickly what their window of opportunity was. It also helps to feed them away from distractions -- in a crate or kennel for instance.

When I got Nash I had some anxious moments the first week because I couldn't get him to eat. Mark told me the same thing Bill just said...crate, quiet, a known time frame. That works for him.

I feed everybody in the morning but Nash gets dinner too because he needs his daily ration divided up.

Cody eats his dry food once every two-three days or so. I'll leave the dry food in a bowl and he won't touch it.

We worry sometimes but he is 50 lbs. and somewhat lean and muscular, has a healthy, shiny coat, eyes, nose and mouth. he runs with me 3 times a week and we walk about 5-6 miles every day, plus other activities.

Sometimes I add a little cooked chicken meat mixed in and he'll eat that but leave the kibble. Other times, I check the bowl and he has completely eaten every last bit of the kibble.

I think I'm going to try the 20-minutes-available method to see if I can teach him to eat at a regular time.

It's frustrating to watch him go two, sometimes three days without food.

Both. My dogs eat twice a day and they are ravenous at both meals. Red Dog is so ravenous that he has taken to busting into the garbage can.

ETA: My dogs don't need treats to make their meals palatable. They eat raw and they love everything in their bowls. Except that Piper will NOT eat kidneys. She says "eww."

RDM

Except that Piper will NOT eat kidneys. She says "eww."

Haha. Milo won't eat kidneys either, but he'll try his darndest to nibble the little bit of fat off of them. It's quite funny to watch. He also will only rarely eat liver. I usually have to stick it in the microwave for a few seconds, first. Boy, for being the fattest dog in the house, he sure is picky.

BTW, my dogs will also eat any time. Both breakfast and dinner are equally exciting. Next to his frisbee, food is Charlie's favorite thing. I think the order of importance for him is: Frisbee, Food, The Beach, Mom.

Loki is just like Black Jack-another supper pupper- but I insist he eat breakfast because I don't want him eating something from a jobsite (goes to work with husband) during the day. I put something like cheese, hot dog, etc. to tempt him to breakfast, and he knows what I mean when I say "you can't go to work unless you eat your breakfast". Gael would eat anytime anywhere.

Two meals a day for Holly, a good point of her spay operation is she eats straight away so i don't have to do anything to encourage her to eat. (bad point - she wants more sometimes :D ). Been there though with the tempting to eat bit , i used to add raw chopped carrot and cooked broccoli sometimes as she loves those. Also chicken or turkey gravy, those worked too. Oh and through the growing puppy stage - hand feeding occasionally - wrong i know but hey she taught me well. lol :rolleyes:

Mine are free fed. Sometimes they eat in the morning, sometimes at night but they always like to eat together, side by side, at the same time.