BC Boards

For people with more than one dog!

It has been such a great experience, having Flora in around these past few days, getting to know her and such. This is the first time I ever owned more than one dog, and it's so amazing to see how completely different they are!

Flora has so much spunk in her! She's downright saucy! She'll be chewing on something she's not supposed to be chewing on and I'll take it from her and she'll do this thing with her head that says "Hey, who they hell do you think you are?!". Sometimes she yips at me too in those instances, like a lil kid having to get the last word!

Odin was never like that at all! Quiet as can be, never wanted to step on any toes. But he was bratty! I'd say : "Odin come!" and he'd look at me with a glint in his eye and with his tongue stuck out and dance around just out of my reach just to tease me!

Anyway, I know alot of you have more than one dog, and I'd love to hear about how yours are different (or alike). I think it would make for an interesting thread :rolleyes:

Popcorn - first dog (shih tzu):

Dominant, independent, stubborn beyond belief - but smart as a whip - and able to get out of anything (like a fenced in yard).

Peanut - second dog (shih tzu):

Submissive (until we got Dazzle), major separation anxiety, willing to do ANYTHING I ask, pretty much bomb proof except for fireworks. Sort of a mirror image of Popcorn overall. She also has the strangest little behavior quirks.

Dazzle - third dog (border collie):

most submissive dog ever. Looks up to me but willing to be independent (especially if she needs to play on her own). Way more excitable and high drive (well, ok - so she isn't a shih tzu, big surprise). Oh yes, and she begs. She, more than any other, has mastered the pitiful act. The other dogs do the little stand-on-hind-legs kind of begging, but Dazzle will look like the most sad, abused, hurt little dog to get what she wants. :rolleyes:

ok...

Happy-mostly relaxed but sometimes gets really high strung, when she gets high strung she trys to play fetch as if on fast foward, if you arnt fast enugh she starts barking and spinning and throwing more toys at you lol. Happy is also very well mannered, she wont chase anything or do anything that might possably be consider bad in some circumstances without looking at me for permission. its also like she never goes rigtht off the edge, she always has at least a small amount of attention on me, so while other dogs get so lost in what they are doing they dont even hear you, Happy stays intune, she will continue what she is doing in total focas, but if I call her sh4e will snap out and come straight back. Happy is also very sulky, if she feels slighted by even the stupidest thing, like if I give her her one on one training last, she will sulk lol.

Misty- Misty is always high strung, she jumps everything and uses everything to her full advantage. Misty is a show off, so if I give her a high jump she will sioar WAAAYYYYY over the top rather then jump just high enugh, she acts like "oh pffft what was THAT". also while she puts on an act like she is a big tough dog, she is actually really soft. her act kept her Alpha dog for years, but the other have finally realized that "wait a second..." lol and she has been getting lower..and lower..and lower.

Electra- Leck EXTREMLY relaxed, like she gets off in her own little world and only physical touch will snap her out of it. for example:at her retriver class she was supposed to hold her stay while a real duck was tossed in front of her...well the thrower was jumping up and down making funny noises waving about and Electra is sitting there just randomly looking around her, paying no attention whatsoever to the thrower, finally the thrower walked staright up, and waved the duck an inch from her head..it was not until the duck wacked her in the head a little they she even noticed its exisitance lol. also she will fall off the couch in her sleep and wont even wake up, just continues on sleeping in the same position she fell lol. she does have energy though, and is extremly physical in her play.

Rusty- Rusty is a lover, he LOVES to be carried and sit in our laps, tossing him off your lap is like throwing him on a trampoline, he just bounces right back up lol. he loves being carried and doted on so much that I refere to him as my "arm candy" :rolleyes: Rusty is also incredbly smart and is very direct about what he wants, for example if he wants a walk, he will litteraly run to the last leash he used, no matter where it is or what leash. he will stand on his hind legs waving his paws and bark. like "mom! walk..NOW, leash is right here" lol

Cheyenne-spoiled, but willing to do what I ask. Thought she was the smartest dog in the world, til the BCs came! LOL She hates everyone and everything except me and DH. Snarky dog. Would prefer being an only dog.

Jackson-The most layed back, easy going dog I have ever seen. Super high drive. Smart beyond reason! Hard-headed, but when on sheep, he wants so bad to do right. BIG difference than when playing with toys. He is great with any people types, and dogs and cats. There is only two things he really cares about, sheep and toys. Anything else is just not worth him being concerned about. Doesn't really like playing with other dogs. Just wants the toy thrown! Does not care for being loved on except at bedtime or wake up time, but if it goes on too long, he thinks we should play with a toy!

Skip-Has a severe Napoleon complex! He thinks he's all that and a bag of chips, but if he runs into a dog like Lucy or Toby, he won't push it. Mainly he likes to push Jackson around cuz Jackson lets him. He likes to play with other dogs. Tries very hard to get Jackson to play, but until Skip learns to throw the toy, it probly won't happen. He does like to wrestle and play tug with Toby. Skip is also a cuddle bug. He loves to be held and loved on. DH puts him in his lap, or carries him around! Good thing he's a shrimp!

Toby-Sometimes likes to challenge Skip. Sometimes he waits for Skip to challenge and then they get into a snarking, fake biting tizzy. One loud "HEY" from me, stops it though. Full of spunk. Tries to be good, but I think his DNA gets in the way! He also loves getting loved on. He is very good with the younguns, even the 3yr. old! Loves to play, but hasn't figured out when I throw the toy the idea is to go for the toy, not Jackson!

Lucy, foster girl-She is a grand ol girl. Very nice and polite. WON'T put up with puppy shenanigans! Loves to go for walks or lay at your feet. Does not play. But likes watching the others do so. She doesn't bother the other dogs, but won't let them cross the line! Great with people, the ones she knows or doesn't know.

Missy,foster girl, daughter of Lucy-Just wants people and dogs to love and accept her! Does keep Toby from getting in her face. But other than that, she just wants to be loved! Very sweet girl with people or animals! Likes to run with the other dogs that are chasing toys, but does not seem to have an interrest in toys.

Popcorn- No need for other dogs. Dislikes almost all of them anyhow. Likes meeting new people. VERY ball oriented. Wary around kid under 10 yrs old, though good with respectful ones over age 10 yrs old. Very protective of our son who is almost 4 yrs old.

Pepper- Happy go lucky, VERY playful. Somewhat skittish around new things. Loves everyone though kind of wary about new people at first. vrey protective over our 4 yr old son. VERY territorial over our yard. Does alot of burnouts peeing or seeing strangers...lol. But calms down after meeting them.

Solo is like this.

Fly is like this.

Solo is the canine John Nash: brilliant, handsome, charismatic, nuts.

Fly is the canine Elle Woods: she's very smart, but she covers it up well by being a total airhead.

They couldn't be more different.

Mr. Woo is flamboyant. Okay, his tail is. He is very even tempered, a little silly, independent, a sneaky social climber, and has the drive of a cutlery drawer, though he has some prey drive, clearly. He's pretty darn easy going, gets on well with everyone but is crazy about no one.

Piper is generic. She's full of smarts, enthusiasm, energy and bitchiness. She looks typical and behaves typical. She is very friendly with all people, indifferent to other dogs and likes to work.

Tweed. Gah. Is a freak. He is incredibly smart but too neurotic to do much with it. He's a social pariah, insecure, scared of weird things, never ever relaxes. He is incredibly difficult to live with. I am particularly unfond of his growling, which goes on day and night for no good reason.

Red Dog - is the world's best dog. He's as biddable as can be, comical too, incredibly loyal, placid and devout. However, on steroids he is irritable and mean to the other dogs, so he isn't at his best right now.

RDM

Eve is a sweetheart. She LOVES life and is overjoyed by what most would find mundane. She's gentle, enthusiastic, loving and has a magnetic personality. She just pulls people in and melts them within seconds. She's very thorough when she does something, and isn't afraid to just stop and think. I've never seen her lose her cool, she's always very collected.

Dakota is the canine version of Jack Bauer. Very intense, reckless, fearless, loyal, stubborn and really damn scary sometimes. Some people love him and others want to avoid him. He has a short fuse, it's easy to frustrate him, andHe's difficult sometimes, but I'd trust him with my life. He doesn't have a lot of finesse, when he does something it's probably going to be done in the most quick, direct way possible. He's open to suggestions from me, but won't bat an eyelash if someone else tries to give him a command.

Jaida - first dog, GSD/Chow mix - Super loyal to her family, most excellent guard dog and will use her teeth if she deems ness. VERY independent, does things because I ask, not because she wants to. Pretty much ignores people outside our family and only interested in other dogs outside our house to sniff them. Alpha dog, but submissive to family. She's a smartie. Doesn't do toys, but likes to catch bees & wasps. I trust her with my life and wouldn't be surprised if she protected me with her life is needed.

River - second dog, BC - EVERYBODY loves River. She worms her way into everyone's heart. No can resist her. She's VERY submissive to other dogs but confident at home. She likes other dogs, but only plays with ours. She was a very stubborn puppy but now so obedient that when she doesn't listen I'm REALLY surprised. She's a fetching machine and it's her favorite pastime. She's very trainable, but is above learning 'shake'. She barks and growls when she hears 'danger' but is a total coward on the follow through. She's always focused on the task at hand (fetch or agility or w/ever I ask) and is difficult to distract. She's the dog I can take anywhere off leash and have total control. She's my heart dog & first BC.

Diesel - third dog, BC - Diesel loves people and doggies. He's River's buddy and they play in the yard everyday with each other. He's become my shadow in the house. He rarely barks and is a useless guard dog :rolleyes:. He's smart and picks things up quickly and is really learning to enjoy a good game of fetch, but likes a tennis sized ball. He'd chase the horse and cats if I'd let him as he's VERY movement reactive. He's ranked #2 in our house among the dogs and is the king of all the toys. He's got a thing for squeakies. And he MUST be the center of doggie attention - and will worm his way closest to you to get it.

Meg is calm, thoughtful, self possessed and always focused on me. She loves her daily outings, but she doesn't play with toys much, though she has several play sessions every day with Ruby. Meg is polite to other dogs as long as they are polite to her, but she will correct a rude dog instantly. She is always in charge. She likes to meet people and get petted, but she really only cares about us, primarily me. She is EXTREMELY devoted to me - her life really improved recently when I convinced her that it was OK to sleep on the bed with me. She now cuddles all night and she is happier and less jealous of the other dogs during the day.

Ruby is a bundle of energy! She has slowed a bit as she has matured (she's now 2) but she still loves to run dozens of laps around the yard every day. She also loves to go on outings and she gets excited and SCREAMS when she sees a squirrel (Meg freezes, crouches, and stalks them) Ruby's favorite thing in the world is meeting people and getting petted by them. We have just started her in flyball, which she enjoys, but most of all she loves to get petted and cuddled by the flyball instructor and helpers. She watches people carefully and if they look at her, she cries and tries to get to them for petting. She especially likes children. We have never had a dog that loves people as much as Ruby.

Finn McCool is our 12 year old Bouvier. He's calm and sweet and strong. He is a former therapy dog and he's unfailingly sweet and kind to all dogs and people. He has been wonderful with our Border Collies and with the foster dogs we have brought into the house. He especially likes tiny dogs and toddlers, and he's disappointed when they are afraid of him because he's so big and hairy.

Ok, let's see....

Nykie (5 month old Border Collie): She's the sassy high energy girl. If you tell her not to do something that she wants to do, she'll give that look and then bark. She tries to be sneaky and will go back to whatever she was doing when you aren't looking. She's extremely loving. She is a licker. She will lick you any chance she gets. She does have issues with submissive/excitable urination, but is getting better about that. Can be a barker and digger at times, but not too often.

Dreamer (18 month old Shetland Sheepdog): He's a very mellow boy. He enjoys playing with everyone, but he'd rather just be loved on. Loves to go for rides. He's the one that can be fully trusted to not get into things he isn't supposed to. He is protective of the family, especially our daughter. If he hears her crying and I don't go to her right that instant, he will go through the hall, look in her door and then come get me.

Presley (16 month old Shetland Sheepdog): She's the other sassy, very high energy girl; extreme barker (barks at everything she sees, when she's playing, etc.); suffers horrible car sickness (shoelace drool, vomiting, etc.); extremely loving, though

Dakota (aka Koty; 7yr old Miniature Schnauzer): He believes that he's the King of the Castle and owns the world; very stubborn; extreme barker (barks if the wind blows..LOL); I really think that he believes he isn't a dog...lol; Great boy, though; absolutely hated kids until our daughter was born (went through a lot of preparation with him prior to), but is very protective of her now, but still doesn't like other kids; very protective of home and family

Yuna (new rescue; 8 month old Tibetan Terrier): She's new to the pack; At this point, we're not sure how long she'll be here. She belonged to a family that bought her from a breeder, then decided that they didn't want to deal with housebreaking or anything, so they turned her loose to fend for herself in the neighborhood. They never took her to the vet for any shots or anything else. She was nasty and covered with mats and ticks when we got her, so I shaved her down (UGH! Didn't want to, but had no choice), and we had her thoroughly vetted, and she's fine, but here is her personality.... surprisingly enough, she is very sweet, extremely playful, loving and tries to lick you constantly. This girl came in and acted like she's been here all along.

:rolleyes:

Zoey is a paradox in black in white fur. She is terrified and fearless all at once..a bossy little thing, that sometimes has to be reminded that not everything is out to get you. Zoey is quick to learn, eager to please, and seems to understand all that I ask and want of her. Zoey is smart and has an extensive vocabulary, I always have to watch what I say. She loves me, but adores my husband...in her eyes he has hung the moon (yet, I fill the food dish....). She lives for her ball and loves to just be outdoors hunting lizards and exploring. Zoey is more aloof and will solicit attention on her terms. She is always near by, but prefers to be in her own space.

Fennec is well Fennec. You almost have to meet him to understand, he is a total character. My vet has nicknamed Fenn the Wal-Mart Greeter. He is noisy, high-drive, clumsy, and whiny. His rooing and barking can be heard on the other side of the world and he is quite the conversationalist. He is never not touching me and solicits cuddles and scritches by burying his head into me. He is always up for whatever you are offering, there is no fear, no hesitation, just eagerness and willingness to try, all while quivering in anticipation. He is learning new things everyday. His favorite games are ball and herding Zoey much to her dismay. Fenn is a coiled spring, even at rest he is ready for the next big thing.

Sophie was my first dog. I knew nothing, and I do mean nothing, about dogs when I found her abandoned in a city park bathroom as a pup. I actually thought she was a lab. (She shares absolutely nothing but her coloring with labs.) By any standard, she is a tough dog who would have done best with a dog-savvy, experienced owner. She was unlike everything I expected, behaved differently from everything I read about how puppies were supposed to behave. She did what she wanted, challenged me at every turn, and resisted any form of external control. I remember reading about adolescence, that many dogs seem to lose the eagerness to please their people they had as pups, and thinking "What? Puppies are supposed to be eager to please their people???" I had no idea what I was doing, and was in way over my head. I began seeking help when she (somewhat predictably, really) became reactive at about seven or eight months of age. Thus began my journey...er, obsession...into seeking to understand dogs. She's seven now, and has taught me almost everything I know about dogs. She is still not "eager to please" me, but I have discovered that the way to motivate Sophie is to find how to make an activity rewarding (or sometimes just make sense) for her. I've learned to work with her, and now we're a pretty good team. She is super smart, scary smart, smarter than purebred BCs Taz or Craig. She is a master predictor of just about anything I do. She watches me without me knowing that she is watching, because she knows the exact moment when a thought occurs to me, if it has any possible ramifications for her. For instance, when I even think about taking Taz (and now Craig) out to work sheep, she gets clingy (she cannot come with and watch or wait in the truck, as she spends the entire time barking her head off in protest, so she must stay home alone). She is a stubborn, playful, very rule-driven control freak.

Taz is my second dog. He has been the beneficiary of my education with Sophie. As "bad" as she is, he is "good"--almost perfect. As much as she challenges me, he says "whatever you want is great with me--how can I help?" He is happy, very playful, affectionate, easy going, and gets along well with other dogs. He wants to be right. He likes routine, but he is fine with things changing, too--he's very resilient. Despite my clumsy handling, he tries his hardest to work with me when we are herding sheep. He can be a little soft with other handlers (though he works very well with almost every experienced handler who has worked with him), but he is very forgiving with me. He is very sound sensitive, though, and sometimes spooks at noises. Really that's his only fault that I can think of...

Craig is my third dog. I've only had him 5 weeks, but he is different to both my other dogs. He is a working dog, and he was given to me to help me learn. He has no concept of play--he is very serious all the time. He has been in several different homes and I don't know much about his early life. He constantly seeks reassurance that everything is still okay. This means he is very clingy, and though he reads other dogs well in every other way, he does not seem to see them if he decides he needs to be near me but they are already in that spot. But he is a gentle soul, and very, very sweet. He lives to work and would rather work than do absolutely anything else on earth. He has, however, decided that it is VERY FUN to join Sophie in her life's pursuit of running very fast to investigate the high-pitched squeals coming from the numerous prairie dog holes during our hikes.

Missy - My good girl, lives to please, loves her people, tries to figure out what I want and is willing to try just about anything. A "your wish is my command" dog. Tough but gentle. Doesn't put up with any nonsense from the sheep, and is a great watch dog, but will snuggle and play with lambs, cats and toddlers. We understand each other inside and out.

Kipp - Smart, rascally, fun, curious, exasperating. Always checking things out, seeing what he can get away with. I can picture him thinking "I try to be good, but it's just too hard sometimes". Enjoys life. I go back and forth between thinking "this dog has alot of potential" and "this dog is driving me nuts". Thankfully he is getting to the point where I'm starting to think the former more often than the latter.

Bear is the rock of the group. Nothing fazes him: he has been on small planes, helicopters, escalators, he has done work as a therapy dog, and except for the 'warning, fire alarm batteries are low' sound, he takes everything in stride. He is the sensible one who knows that people often dispense food, so guests to the house should be greeted warmly, perhaps with a gentle bunt to the crotch. He listens when you read to him and cocks his head appropriately, even if what you are reading is something incredibly dry, like a draft of a risk mitigation strategy. His devotion to food is unparalleled, and if you use this devotion appropriately you can get him to do just about anything. If displeased with his crating situation, he can make a noise that shatters ear drums. He is the leader when we encounter other dogs; in the house he generally is sound asleep.

If Bear is the therapy dog, then Wick is the therapy patient. She is the poster child for why early socialization is crucial, as she clearly was introduced to nothing as a puppy, and just about everything in her world must be classified into three categories: ball-related, food-related, and run-for-the-hills-that-could-kill-you. She is over-the-top in everything she does, whether it's agility, chasing her ball, or being scared. Whilst playing tug, she emits a sound not dissimilar to a sports car revving its engine. Once you get to know her, she is a snuggle. When we have guests over, she WILL end up in their bed, even if she doesn't pay any attention to the guest during the day. She is the dog that everyone wants to pet, and very few succeed. She understands the concept of always leaving her fans wanting more. Wick runs the household in my absence, although she defers to Bear when we are out and about.

Lou is the man-child. He is unfailingly cheerful, prone to getting stuck in small spaces, and hasn't a clue as to why we're chasing ball, though he enjoys the game immensely. He is loaded with stock sense and has let me ride his broad shoulders into the world of sheepdog trialing. If he were a human kid, he might be held back a grade, just so he can catch up a little with the other kids. If he were a TV character, he would be Randy from My Name is Earl. He loves Wick's bark and will drop whatever he is doing (except for sheep) when she issues her siren call. Squeaky toys and hoses fascinate him; if you blow on his head he throws himself to the ground in some sort of convulsion. Lou is at the bottom of the pack and extremely happy to be there.

oh ya, I forgot to metion something about Happy... most dogs when they mean essentially "screw you" they ignore and run around doing their own thing. Happy on the other hand behave as if you are beating her, so you tell her to "sit" and she doesnt wanna, she will slink down, put her ears back and crawl into your lap like "mommy, I dint mean it!" make her eyes all wide looking at me. I have learned to ignore it, just yank her up off the ground and force the command, its doesnt halp at all, but its the only way to make sure she isnt getting her way by doing this, I remeber her doing that once, so finally I just forced the entire training session acting all cheerfull and praising her when she is in postion etc.. lol

A lot of it depends on what roles they play in their families, doesn't it?

Kessie has responsibility. I would do anything for her, but I do expect her to be there for me when I don't feel I'll be able to cope with the future that people love to paint in such scary colours. When she has to hold me up, I drag her down a little at the same time - laws of nature. She'll never be able to be as careless as Kyla, and I feel guilty about that sometimes...would she be a "happier" dog with a more cheerful human?

On the other hand, she seems to be aware of being needed, and also of being trusted wherever we go (I trust her common sense, more than I trust my own two feet, and I trust those with my life), and she seems to be proud of that. Downright smug sometimes, as you all know. She has her silly moments too, thank DoG!

Typical Kessie smile:

DSCF1082kl2.jpg

Kyla is the bringer of joy. Or of Yay!, as Fly might say :rolleyes: . She LOVES her life, and everybody loves her for that. She's incredibly smart, but doing comes way before thinking for her. She is willing to defend (or at least warn) us against danger, but most of the time she seems content with having only her own butt to look after. I don't think she will ever grow up, or get as serious as Kessie can be at times. Which is fine, since life is so much better with a bundle of "Yay!" around (sorry Fly, I have to borrow that because it's the only way to describe her!). She also has great dignity in her own way, but that's something that both have in common, so it doesn't really belong here.

Typical Kyla smile:

DSCF3579kl.jpg

Ashe Patient and sweet as the day is long, he is my first bc, a petstore purchase. He is the foundation that my love for this breed is built on. Willing to go and do what ever is asked of him when ever it is asked of him. Devoted guardian for 14 years of Phillip 15 and Breanna 12. Agility partner, therapy dog, bed snuggler, cat herder. Ashe is the quiet benevolent leader of the pack. Tolerent of almost anything and steadfast in his knowledge that he is First Dog in the house and in our hearts. He is forever young at heart although the flesh is less so much to his frustration, although he still practices levetating balls, squeeky toys and sticks. He still "plays" agility in the yard, is horrified if the kids leave without him to guide them in their endevors. The hole he leaves behind will deep and dark indeed.

Riley The token aussie in the family. His role in life is as enforcer, if he were a person he would be a celebrity bodyguard. He is the first one to let any foster dog know when they are stepping out of line and doesn't hesitate to correct when a social mistake is made. He's a clown with a wonderful sense of humor and bump and push things just to see what will happen and then stand back and watch. His nubbin wigglin and eyes sparkling with laughter. He is mine from the tip of his black and pink nose to the end of his wiggle butt. He listens to the kids and hubby and plays with them, but I am his sun, moon and stars. He is a ball fiend, and every one of the 1 1/2 dozen various sizes and types belong to him. He loves to run laps in the field with Meg, voicing his opinion about everything whether its needed or not. Bliss is having his ears rubbed and his wiggle scratched.

Meg Our first rescue is the girlie of the pack, petite in build, lady like in behavior and bitch at heart. Meg is terrified of Thunderstorms and big fireworks, but will take on all comers with lawn mowers, snappers, balloons without hesitation. She is the proverbial Welcome Waggin', happy to see everyone even if she hasnt met you yet. Consumate cat herder making sure that none of those fuzzy hairballs take it into their feline heads to make a break for the great outdoors. Her passion is frisbee and has even competed a few times. She is the barker in the house never missing an opportunity to do so, making one up if she has to just so she can bark. She's the first to play with a foster dog to make him feel more at ease. She probably would have been decent on sheep had she been given the chance, for now she's Breanna's agility partner and happy at that.

Whim Our second rescue and the baby of the family. He is still a work in progress his personality still being molded and shaped. He is a puppy dervish whirling one moment and looking for lovings the next. He is the happiest pup in the world, always up for a snuggle, game of tug, or an opportunity to STARE at the cats. He is self entertaining at times chasing and playing with any toy he can get his mouth on. He is a sponge soaking up the skills that he will need to play agility, and how to be polite in new situations. He will be the first of my pack to be "put on" sheep although big brother Riley did get instinct tested. He's a hoot to teach doing everything with great enthusiasm and joy hopefully I will be able to keep it that way for a long time to come.

We have always had 2 dogs, and there have always been disparities between the two; with that said, however, I would note that we have never had 2 dogs of the same breed at the same time.

Missy (the big one in the Avatar) is a 13-year-old Border Collie-Belgian Sheepdog mix, who came to us as a "rescue" when she was 1 year old. She is about as laid-back as a dog can get, although (even at her advanced age and fighting the cancer) she can still show occasional bursts of energy. She has always been mellow, and rarely shows any aggression. She does snap at her "sister" if she is annoyed by her, but has never hurt her. Missy is an occasional visitor to a local seniors home, where she mingles beautifully with the elderly residents; she has been doing this since she was a yopung dog.

Annie (the little one in the Avatar) is a 3-year-old purebred Border Collie. I thought BC's mellowed and slowed down a bit as they got older. Not a chance! Annie is perpetual motion, from the time she gets up in the morning until the time she is forced to go to bed (and even thus, she does so begrudgingly). She loves everybody, but will become very protective if another dog is involved. Annie is in training as a therapy dog, but needs more education, as she can still become hyperactive (in terms of showing too much energetic affection) on occasion.

Regretfully, this will be the last time we will have 2 dogs. Missy is starting to show signs of gradually losing her battle with the cancer, and we are already worried that, at our advanced age, Annie will outlive us. (We have made provisions for Annie with special codicils in our will, and our vet has already promised to take Annie, who she absolutely loves, if something happens to us.) It will be interesting to see whether Annie's conduct changes if she knows that her "sister" is gone and that she is the only remaining dog in the house...

Both of our dogs are 2 years old. Allie is very much a BC, and is very single minded and intense. She is my velcro dog and wraps herself around me. She is also very skittish around things like fireworks, large trucks (garbage trucks terrify her) and she hates sirens. Rusty, on the other hand, is a lot louder, mellower and generally unafraid of the things that send Allie bolting. Rusty is also affectionate, but prefers to sit by your feet and be petted. They get along great and seem to love each other (lots of nuzzling, licking and snuggling between them) even though we've only had Rusty about a month. They compliment each other very well.

Sarah - 3.5-year old Aussie (?) mix - We adopted Sarah when she was 2 months old, and her foster mom warned me that she may be too much for a 1st-time dog owner. Sarah was extremely submissive as a puppy, and there were concerns of her developing separation anxiety. We trained each other as she grew up, and I have learned so much from her. She is my heart dog. Thankfully, she did not develop SA, and it has been a long time since she has submissively urinated. She knows more words than a 5-year old person, and she always knows when I need her. She will seek out and retrieve any toy that I name. Sarah loves to play fetch, whether it is with a tennis ball or frisbee. Although she is the fuzziest and most wonderful snuggler, most of the time, she lays in the bay window keeping guard on our house and the neighborhood. Sarah is also the most gentle dog I've ever known. Sarah is happiest meeting new people; new dogs make her a bit nervous. If Sydney is not listening to me, Sarah will let her have it. We went through 20 week of therapy dog training together, but since she can be unexpectedly submissive (and a tad neurotic), we have delayed our certification. However, I think the training was so good for both of us. I fear the day that Sarah leaves our lives because she has such a hold on my heart.

Sydney - 2.5-year old BC mix - We adopted Sydney when she was about 9 months old. She was an owner surrender due to the fact that she was herding/killing chickens. The first time we met her, she was thin, scraggly, scarred, and skittish. She would throw herself down on her back (to submit) so hard that she would yelp. Although she had never been in a house before, once we managed to get her inside, she quickly became accustomed to our couch and has not left it since. Sydney alternates between sprawling out on the couch next to me and becoming so anxious that she must have a toy in her mouth as she zooms around the house crying. She will chew on a Nylabone for hours, but she has little interest in playing fetch unless I really provoke her in to chasing the ball. She usually wants to please me, but if I ask her to do something and she is feeling anxious, she will talk back to me. Sydney is happiest meeting other dogs, and at times, it can be distracting to her. Sydney is very different from Sarah, but I have slowly fallen in love with her too.

~Kelly

Midnight: Gone 8/18/05 at 2:18 pm. However, her personality created the others, so we start with her. Australian Kelpie/Chow mix. HATED other dogs with a royal passion. Loved people. Untested, 4 days after getting her from the County Kennel, she was taken to an event with hundreds of people and just managed to sway everyone to her side! She was mean and mischievious. Midnight wasn't much for chewing etc... unless it was something belonging to someone else. She derived great pleasure out of stealing the puppy toys, and hiding them. She would do just about anything you asked of her, AFTER her very Alpha personality was broken. She wanted to be king of the house, humans be damned. Once she was made to understand we were the Alphas in the pack, she was great and quite pleasant.

Arwen: 5, almost 6 year old Huskie/Shepherd mix. She's very Husky in most things. She loves the snow, and could sit outside in the yard all day during the winter if we let her. She talks like a Husky too, so we play games by blowing in her ears just to get her riled up! She learned dog behaviour at Midnight's feet, so does not like other dogs. When Midnight was alive, Arwen was very submissive, to the point of submissive urination during her first year or so. She's very expressive with her face, just like a Husky. You can read every expression, from happy (with a HUGE smile) to sad. (ears laid WAY back, eyes rolled back so they are surrounded by white and a very sad expression on her whole face). Was quite happy to become the mama after Midnight died. She was miserable without her lifelong companion, so when we got Mabel, her whole tenor changed.

Mabel: 18 month BC. Holy Cow! What a way to turn one's life upside down! She's the bundle of energy that neither of the other dogs ever had! She's a lover, always in your face to give you kisses (deep french ones if you aren't careful). She's the people pleaser, wanting to do whatever it takes to make you happy. Lives for playing with her ball. Try and take away a tennis ball, bouncy ball, jingle ball, whatever, and she's miserable. It shows not only on her face, but also her entire body. Wiggles non stop; can't stop even in her sleep. She dreams- yipping, running, tail wagging- whole package. She's an easy learner, but if she really doesn't want to do something, good luck getting beyond Miss Stubborn. Is submissive to Arwen who is now the Alpha (took a lot to train her that way since SHE was the submissive one), but will join in other dog games, IF, she's not focussed on playing with her ball. Relates well to other dogs, and generally has no adjustment issues with new animals. Loves to swim. The other 2 thought a pool/lake/river was torture!

Millie, BC mix, 5 years: She is gentle and very sensitive. I have to be very gentle with her because she shuts down easily. She is very affectionate with people she knows and though she is reserved, once she has your love, she adores you and it is so cute to watch her get excited to greet people who she is like that withh. She is completely devoted to me and is a velcro dog. She wants to be near me always. She just so genuine and sweet that I can get a little misty when she rests her head on my knee and looks up at me with those beautful, soft, loving eyes. She loves hikes and can go with me for hours but has a wonderful off switch and lies at my feet while I am on the computer or reading. She doesn't have much interest in playing with other dogs except for a select few, she is usually focused on me or her environment rather than canine buddies. She is very in tune with me and her tail thumps when I make the slightest movement.

Lucy, chi/terrier (my guess) mix, 2 years: Happy. Tail wagging. Sweetness. She is pretty excitable and very cheerful. She makes me smile and laugh and is constantly doing silly things. People are pretty drawn to her when they meet my dogs. What can I say about Lucy? She's an odd little duck. Lucy is not the most "brilliant" and does not catch on the easiest of the dogs I've trained but she is enthusiasm galore which her makes her wonderful to work with. She loves to lick- and if you aren't careful that little tongue will shoot up your eye, mouth, or nose. She's exuberant and energetic but also very sweet and a lovely cuddle bug. She is small (about 14-15 pounds or a little less) but can keep up with any other dog she's ever been with. She is very playful and I love to play tug with her. She loves playing with other dogs, too.