BC Boards

1 Border Collie Pup vs. 2 Border Collie Pups

Hello everyone,

I have a slight delema. My wife and I have a 23 week old border collie pup named Maisie. She's great, but at times I think she gets bored. Now that spring is coming up, we'll be able to get her outside much more often... which will help a ton.

We have been thinking about getting Maisie a play mate, another border collie. What are the up-side and down-sides of having two dogs like that? Would they help keep each other 'busy' as to not develop bad habits like biting the carpet, etc? Maisie is a pretty jealous dog. When ever there is another dog around and you try to pet it she wedges herself between you and the other dog so that she can get all of the attention.

The cost of having another dog isn't an issue. My wife is not working at the moment either, making it a great time to get another puppy.

Any thoughts / comments welcome!

-Mike

I've always thought two dogs were easier than one, for lots of reasons. They are pack animals and do like company of their own species - and there's the added benefit that occasionally they will entertain each other and leave you the heck alone for a change. :D

But - I once raised two GSD puppies, litter brothers, and I say "once" because I sure ain't doing it again! :rolleyes: I was never so glad of anything as when those dogs turned two and grew something resembling a brain. Puppies take so much time and attention, and two seem to take even more than twice as much, somehow.

What about adopting an older dog - I mean older than your puppy but still young enough to have fun with her? I've noticed lots of dogs seem to become homeless at around eight months to a year of age, when they're active as all get out but cease to be "cute." I bet BCs are the same - have you thought about rescuing a young adult?

An "older" pup is not a bad thought, and with rescue you can sometimes take a dog on a trial basis to see if it's a "fit" in your home (check with the individual rescue you're working with, should you decide to try this, to see what their policy is). Rescues also often have an idea about how much training the dog has had and whether or not it likes puppies. As a general rule, BCs are capable of bonding very intensely as rescues (all my rescues have been VERY bonded with me), so don't worry that you won't have a tight relationship if you get an older puppy or an adult. Bear in mind that not every dog likes other dogs, though... maybe your puppy won't enjoy another dog, or vice versa (although most puppies do seem to LIKE other dogs and enjoy playing with them, not every adult dog likes puppies. Liking to play together may or may not be the same thing as liking to LIVE with together, though it's a good start). My dogs DO keep each other busy to some degree, but mainly they want ME to keep them busy. :D They also appear, occasionally, to get each other into more mischief than a single dog would think up alone. :mad: BTW, the jealousy thing has NOT dissipated with time; Pepper is 10, Kenzie 7, Finn nearly 4 and Ali nearly 3 and they STILL all want to be the one sitting on my lap. :rolleyes: I find that the jealousies are more easily controlled if the dogs are tired and/or have had an interesting day (by which I mean, interesting in a GOOD way, not in a "got attacked by a big scary dog" or "had to have my nails trimmed" sort of way.) :D

I'm sure there are plenty of people on the boards who will have better thought-out answers, but as I have to get to work, that's the best I'm going to be able to do right now!

From personal experience, I recommend an older dog, too.

We adopted Maddie when Speedy was 9 months old. She was about two at the time.

Those two really enjoyed playing together and she really helped keep puppy-Speedy busy!!

As a multiple border collie owner I would caution you against thinking *any* dog, older or younger, is really going to be a *playmate* to a current dog. My dogs do play with each other, but it is usually only when I am there (i.e., when we are going for walks, etc.). If one dog is bored, a second dog will also likely be bored, and if they channel their boredom into destructive behavior, then you can count on twice as much destruction! In fact, they may well egg each other on (I have two like this).

That's not to say you shouldn't get a second dog (though I would also recommend a young adult because two pups really do require a lot of individual attention), but get that dog because you really want a second dog, not because you think it will be a great playmate for your current pup. Just my opinion.

J.

I second what Julie says. I'd put off getting a dog until the pup was no longer a pup. This pup needs stimulation from you while he is growing mentally and physically and not from any other source, otherwise, you're asking for trouble.

Personally, I'd wait until your pup was about 18 months old before taking on another dog.

JMO.

P.S.---also a multiple border collie/dog owner.

I think Julie, Vicki, and Mark gave some excellent advice, as always.

We adopted Megan (who was nine months old) when Celt was seven months old. Fortunately, he was very well bonded to me before Megan came along, and she was ready to bond with a family that could give her time, attention, and outdoor activity (all of which she lacked in her previous caring, but unsuitable, home).

We are very fortunate that they are both bonded well to us, and are also excellent buddies with each other. It can be a problem when folks have more than one youngster (pup or young dog) that the dogs bond more to each other than to the humans in the family.

You can have multiple dogs that are content and relatively trouble-free but, as Julie pointed out, if Maisie isn't happy as a single dog, you will probably wind up with two that aren't happy either (or that your problems will multiply). Sometimes, with Border Collies, one may develope the bad habit of "working" the other, and that is particularly problematic if the "workee" doesn't like being "worked".

That said, my dogs are excellent "playmates" and do have fun interacting with each other. Sometimes they play when I am busy or while I have them outside (we don't have a yard so there is no option of playing because no one's around out there). But both of them would rather interact with Ed or myself than play with each other without our participation.

If you are committed to working with Maisie and can increase your "family" with enough time and energy to work with both dogs, then it's a matter of whether or not you'd enjoy another member of the family.

As for the seasons, I see you are in central PA but winter is a fine time for outdoor activity with Maisie. There's nothing more fun than fresh snow and a Border Collie! Perhaps you should see what options you have for "time with Maisie" year-round. Winter walks, ball games, socializing at stores or malls that allow dogs, work on obedience and tricks, etc., are all winter-friendly activities. In the heat of summer, we enjoy sprinkler and hose games, and swimming.

Another thought concerning Maisie's age is that, when she reaches adulthood, she may have more of an "off-switch" when it's time to settle down while you or your wife are busy with other things. As a youngster (and she's entering that "teenage" stage of young doghood), she will be more demanding and require more effort and training, and (I am sure) is probably much more easily bored and prone to get "into trouble".

That's why it's so important NOW for you to be training and working with her. If you are looking at another dog hoping it "takes the pressure off you", you probably won't be happy with the results.

If you'd really enjoy another dog, give it a try. The rescue idea is great, and so is giving it a "test run" to see if another dog is something that would work out with Maisie.

Best wishes!

Glen highlands sweet border collie rescue has some great older dogs right now. They also have some really cute just under 1 pups. She can be a bit tough to adopt from but, she's pretty close if your more to the east side of Pa. I also saw a few pure breds down towards Harrisburg on petfinder.

I think BC's are good in a pack.

Dogs don't entertain each other as well as we think they do. I've raised siblings, and they are very bonded, but they still prefer to spend time with us versus each other. I would only consider another pup if my current dog were already entertained sufficiently and I had the time to dedicate to entertaining yet another.

Good luck with your decision.

Maria

My husband and I think that getting Zoe is the best thing we could have done. Our dogs adore each other and do tend to play together when I'm otherwise occupied - or, as others have said, get into trouble together. :D

Zeeke was 2 when we got Zoe. I don't think I could handle two young pups. I love Zoe more than life itself, but I'm getting really tired of finding chewed objects and dealing with piddle accidents and all that fun puppy stuff. I can't wait til she matures!

As others have said, bonding with each other is a worry. I spent a lot of time one-on-one with Zoe for several months. Zeeke really got the short end of the stick there, because I put all my energy into Zoe. (Zeeke is hubby's dog, so it's not like he was ignored completely ) Having two pups would be twice as hard, as then I'd have to spend a lot of one-on-one time with both of them. Zoe is still a lot more bonded to Zeeke than he is to her - her anxiety is multiplied 10x when he's not around. But she still looks to her mommy for everything, and for that I'm very glad.

Having more than one dog in the house? Love it! 2 puppies at the same time? Don't think I'd ever attempt it. :rolleyes:

Having raised two (a male and a female) who are only 7 weeks apart, I'd agree with what the others have said. I got each of mine at 8 weeks, and it was (and still is even now they're 4) extra work and time to make sure each pup gets plenty of one-on-one time (though it would be easier with 2 people in a household.

That said, I do love having 2 dogs (that's my municipal limit), and love watching them interact. Like Julie's they tend to play together mostly when I'm around, although occasionally they'll race round on their own.

A second dog can be a great help, especially if it is an adult.

I got Raven when Pi was about 9 months old. This helped her immensely...mostly because at that point, she was learning all her 'doggy' behavior lessons at the dog park, and we couldn't be there *all* the time. Raven kind of acted as Pi's tutor in how you should and should not act around other dogs. It also provided her with some one she could rough-house with, and as raven was an older dog less likely to get into trouble, i could trust her to occupy Pi while I was out for an hour or so, instead of getting into something and asking Pi to join in!

But, you must be careful when selecting an older dog, to be sure they like other dogs, and that they're beyond the puppy stage. i got very lucky with Raven, the only bad habit she had was getting into the garbage, and that was easily remedied.

I have 2 out of the same litter (both males) and although I don't regret the decision to take on two at the same time, same age...I have to say I won't do it again. They play together, alone or when I'm around, but they also get aggitated at each other easily too. Top that off w/ a yapping *you know what* stirrer (my Llasa/Chihuahua mix) and it makes for some chaotic moments sometimes.

I wouldn't trade any of them for the world though. In some ways its easier, but in others its a challenge. I guess it just depends on how dedicated you are and what you feel the right decision for you would be. But I do agree w/ the others that say don't get another dog as a playmate. Get another one because that's a responsibility YOU are willing to take on. Good luck if you decide on getting another dog though.

i had the same question a year ago and every one tried to warn me at that time Lucy was 9 months old and was so easy to train and like you i thougth she would enjoy not being alone.

Well 1+1 does not equal 2 its a lot of work. Many times i had wished i hadn't got a second dog it took away so much more of my time. Mikey ended up having fear of cars and was apprehensive on walks and took a long time to potty train. However, one year later it has gotten much easier and although the year was hell i would do it again. Now Lucy and Mikey love to play with each other. Often when we go for a walk they are side by side touching.

When we play frisbee or ball they each patiently wait their turn.

If you are willing to put forth incredible effort it will be worth it but also remember to effectively train them they will need individual time with you. Also even though they will have each other the breed is most content when interacting with humans.