BC Boards

"Dog Whisperer" sued by owner

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/...ogwhisperer.ap/

'Dog Whisperer' sued by TV producer

Suit claims Lab was injured at facility

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A television producer is suing dog trainer Cesar Millan, star of TV's "The Dog Whisperer," claiming that his Labrador retriever was injured at Millan's training facility after being suffocated by a choke collar and forced to run on a treadmill.

In a lawsuit filed Thursday in Superior Court, "8 Simple Rules" producer Flody Suarez says he took 5-year-old Gator to the Dog Psychology Center on February 27 to deal with fears of other dogs and strangers.

Hours after dropping the dog off at the facility, Suarez claimed a worker called to inform him the animal had been rushed to a veterinarian. He later found the dog "bleeding from his mouth and nose, in an oxygen tent gasping for breath and with severe bruising to his back inner thighs," the lawsuit claims. (Watch how Millan changed the behavior of a CNN anchor's dog -- 3:24)

The facility's workers allegedly placed a choke collar on the dog, pulled him onto a treadmill and forced him to "overwork." Suarez says he spent at least $25,000 on medical bills and the dog must undergo more surgeries for damage to his esophagus.

A call to the Dog Psychology Center, also named as a defendant, was not immediately returned. A spokesman for National Geographic Channel, which airs Millan's show, declined comment.

"As of this time, the National Geographic Channel has not been served with either lawsuit, and we do not comment on pending litigation," said Russell Howard, the channel's vice president of communications.

The complaint claims breach of contract, fraud, animal cruelty and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other allegations. It seeks more than $25,000 in damages.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

I don't have cable and never have watched him, but I did hear an interview with him on NPR a couple of weeks ago. Up until then, all I knew is what I read.

Toward the beginning of the interview he said something that tainted my as yet unformed opinion of him. Paraphrasing----"Intelligent. (talking about dogs). No. Intelligent is a brain surgeon." Combined with the statement that other countries don't have the problems with dogs that we do----that set the foundation for the rest of the interview.

"Exercising a dog into submission" as Denise said, is another piece to the entire picture. Sure, dogs aren't intelligent, so you don't work with the mind, you exercise them.

My opinion after my limited exposure to this guy.

Well, that's a terrible story. It will be interesting to see how the lawsuit plays out. A lot of what Cesar does may only work if the person doing it has his timing and instinct, which many don't. From this it sounds like he handed the dog over to assistants to be exercised? He uses some techniques I wouldn't, but I haven't seen anything that was abusive on the show. Compared to the absolutely clueless owners, at least with Cesar the dogs had clear direction and boundaries.

"The facility's workers allegedly placed a choke collar on the dog, pulled him onto a treadmill and forced him to "overwork."

It doesn't say Ceasar did it, himself. This leads it open to whether or not Ceasar himself authorized this type of specific 'workout'.

Also, people should see their doctors before starting an exercise program to make sure they are healthy enough. Maybe this dog wasn't fit enough, and/or had underlying problems that surfaced upon this workout.

This article does not provide enough info to condem Ceasar, imo.

Just pointing this out.

Obviously a lawsuit isn't the same as a conviction, but my opinion before this news was that I wouldn't let this guy within 20 feet of any of my dogs, and this news if true is not very surprising to me.

I don't like his methods either, looks to me like in some cases he pushes the dogs so hard they shut down mentally, which of course makes them look docile and cured on camera. I wonder what happens to those dogs after they recover? I also worry because people see his show and think complex behavioral problems can be cured in less than an hour. If that were true people could go to a single visit with a psychologist and never need to go back.

I have to agree with a bit of everything, everyone is saying. I have watched his show many times and have always, KNOWN, that in no way are these dogs being "cured", in that short amount of time, all the time. Now occassionally they do say on the show, after however X number of weeks...the dog.. blah,blah, blah, so it is not ALWAYS an instant 1 hr. cure, they are eluding to.

I also know as a trainer, that a person can come to me with a dog that is totally acting up, pulling, won't sit basically ignornig their person, and as soon as I take the leash and walk away from the dogs' family, she/he, walks much better, sits almost immediatley upon command, will look at or watch me, but won't do any of this for their person, even after instruction from me. You can't take an "intelligent" species, who has lived a life of not listening/obeying or having a pack leader, and expect the person/s whom she has been living with to elicit a change in behavior within 1 hr, 1 wk. or even 1 yr!!!

I will say I ordered Milans video on People Training for Dogs, and overall it is very good and right on target, for the "clueless" people most of us trainers have to work with.

Now don't get me wrong here. Not all people who seek out trainers are clueless. Many do quite well with their dog, and have really given a lot of effort working with and training for "good behavior", from their dog. The biggest mistake/s (other than the clueless person), I have seen, are well meaning, but their approach to the training for their dog is being done innocently, incorrect. One method of training, one book, even one trainer, does NOT necessarily work for every dog. Just like us, dogs learn at their own pace, and own methods/techniques etc., & often it takes quite a bit of time to figure out what really clicks, for a specific dog and for even a specific behavior.

A good example is my own BC boy Phoenix, who has waaaaay excelled in obedience training, using the positive feedback/reward based training method, which is how I train. However, when it comes to his "aggressiveness" toward strangers, I recently watched another different method of training from a Herding Trainer, that made me wonder if that was actually my dog, with this "stranger"/trainer... acting civil and not like Cujo, with him. I have since for the past 2 weeks been using the herding trainers method of "discipline"(much sterner voice, and making him lie down immediatley, til he calms down and repeating as often as necessary), not harming him in any way, but just letting him know when I say NO! I REALLY MEAN IT !), and removing the constant praise or reward, after I get the "wanted behavior", after he acts up. I have already seen a positive difference in his behavior with strangers.

So, like any other trainer, there is good and maybe not so good with Milan. I pick and choose which methods he or any other trainer uses, that I feel comfy with and disregard the others.

I too think it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I personally like Mr. Milan. However, I also like the Monks of New Skete. I think the key to planning on how to train individual dogs is to remember that they are individuals. You can't use just one method on anything! You have to pick and choose what you want and can use from all the different methods, books, DVDs, instructors, etc.

I too have had the experience of taking a dog from it's owner and it being a different dog. I think that part of it is that I am a novel person so they are more respectful and part of it is that I don't doubt that they will behave and they can sense that.

When my female dog is obsessed on her ball I don't beg and plead that she leave it and then shower her with cookies when she looks away. I tell her to leave it and I mean it. I will say a very neutral "good" when she does but that's it. I gave an instruction and she followed it, end of story. Maybe that sound harsh but I have no desire to carry pocket fulls of cookies and beg my dogs to behave.

Now when teaching a new "trick", in other words something that is not natural, I will use food as a reward or for shaping. But once the behavior is learned I don't give food for it.

My dogs are much more likely to get a cookie because I notice I have a container of them sitting on the counter and give them one because I like them (the dogs, not the cookies :rolleyes:).

I hope Mr. Milan doesn't suffer too much from this incident, I hope it opens some eyes though.

Olivia

I watch Milan's shows. I think he's really good at rehabilitating people. If you watch the shows, most of the time it's the owners that need to be "taught" the correct way to deal with their dogs.

Interestingly enough, I cannot recall him ever working with a border collie. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Like the Raising River said, the story claims his staff actually put the dog on the treadmill, not Milan, but he is in fact responsible for his staff's proper training and actions. Don't you think?

Originally posted by MrsPalmer:

Interestingly enough, I cannot recall him ever working with a border collie. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I have watched every episode of his show, and while he has never worked with a pure BC there was a show where he worked with a BCXLAB. The owners had two other dogs, ChowX and they said the BCXLAB was attacking and aggresive to the one dog Katie. Turned out they paid special attention to Katie and she was actually provoking the BC. (the BCX was kicking a$$ too! :rolleyes: )

Yeah, Cesar is responsible for his staff and I am sure the courts will see that he is. However, until I see other proof, I for one will not believe he allowed a dog to be injured in that way. It's like the lawyer who can take an accident victim with a blackeye and turn it into a life long dibilitation. I will wait and see what truth comes out first.

Ya know after posting that I got to thinking, and it seems to me there was a show where the people had a herding dog. BC just doesn't come to mind tho. Anyway, Cesar arranged for them to take the dog to a sheep herding clinic and they were so amased at the dog doing what it was bred to do. Now I'm going nuts trying to remember! I always watch wondering if a BC will ever be on the show, that is why I don't think it was BC. ARGHHHH!

I saw that episode, I think it was a Bouvier, maybe. Not a BC.

It'll be interesting to see how the case plays out. While I would not necessarily choose Mr. Milan as MY behaviorist/trainer I think what he does is pretty straight forward and basic. Be the leader and get your tush off the couch and exercise your dog.

And you can't correct a dogs issues in 30 or 60 minutes, but most of the issues are how the people relate to the dog. When I worked with a behaviorist, he spent 20 minutes of the 2 hours working with the dogs, the rest was spent with us.

Having said that, Mr. Milan should be careful to not fall into the god syndrome...he's getting famous and making money and possibly getting careless with the hired help.

Maria

The dog that got to go herding was a Bouvier (sp?). The thing I like about Caser is he doesn't

get into an over emotional state. I also like that he always says dogs live in the "now", not the past and not the future.

What probably has happened (and has happened many times before) is that someone put said dog on a treadmill and left him- with a choke chain on.

Many many things wrong with this:

a) you don't use a choke chain on a dog, unless training the dog (and I don't use them)

:rolleyes: you don't put a dog on a treadmill and leave it

c) you don't "up" the speed on an un-trained (treadmill) dog- the muscle injury is common in dogs who have gone too long and hard, and who aren't ready- torn hind leg muscles - ouch.

You know, ultimately he is responsible for all dogs brought into his care. It stinks that people working for him would be THIS lax, but it happens all over.

Julie

Well I tried MR Milans choke collar on Lucy Lou and believe me I'll never do it again. I only hope I didn't traumatize her for life. The poor baby was so scared she refused to go out on her own! I had to carry her. But she seems to be ok now

I don't know anything about this fellow or his personal techniques and ideas so on him/them specifically I have no comment.

About exercise and behavioural issues: A dog who is having behavioural issues is often not getting near enough exercise. In many cases the inappropriate behaviour ceases as soon as the dog gets the time he needs to run, play and burn off some energy.

It would be interesting to know what he exactly means about the "exercise into submission" thing (if that's a quote from him). Submission in and of itself has nothing to do with too much energy; however, a dog with too much pent up energy may not be able to sit still long enough to learn or obey a command. Perhaps this is where he's coming from. Just imagine if you were forced to live in a tiny apartment and never get out. It wouldn't take too long before most of us would go mental; and yet that is what so many people do to their dogs and then wonder why the dog starts eating the furniture or attacking the windows when the neighbors go by. A couple of hours good running time a day and any dog will be much happier and easier to work with. (This does not mean that I approve of treadmills though!)

Choke chains should never be used by someone who doesn't know how to correctly fit one or use it properly. If you're unsure ask. A timid, submissive dog doesn't need one and it would be foolish to put one on a dog like that. There are many other types of training collars out there that would work better for a timid dog and some individuals work very well on a simple buckle collar.

That said, inappropriate use of a "choke chain" doesn't make the choke chain a bad tool; it just means the person using doesn't know what they're doing. I've talked to so many people who tell me on the phone that they've used a choke chain on their dog and had less than adequate results. When I see the dogs they often have collars on that are several sizes too big, or the owner's think that the dog will miraculously stop pulling when the choke chain or pinch collar is put on. How many times have you seen a dog wearing a choke chain dragging their owner down the street; gasping and coughing all the way? It's not the choke chain that's hurting the dog, it's the uninformed person on the end of the leash!

That's the other thing I don't like about this guy -

Ignorant folks watch the show and think they can "cure" their dog. So they throw on a choke chain and hang their dog into submission. (Which is what he DOES do in some cases!) Or they try to alpha roll them.

...sigh...

I watch The Dog Whisperer whenever I can. I love Cesar's way with dogs and humans. Problem is, he's gotten so popular that I'm sure he has many people doing what he started out doing and they don't have his skill. Anyone can get hurt on a treadmill - ever see the skinned shins and elbows at your local fitness club? It's like sandpaper on steriods! I can't think of any dog that willing gets on one the first time. This issue is more about whether it's safe to put an animal on a device meant for a human. That poor dog - and the owner is doing the only thing he can think of in order to get retribution. My heart goes out to the dog and the owner and I hope Cesar fired the employee on the spot. Any dog that gets hurt in someone else's care is negligent and need not work in the field.

My trainers posted an article about his book on their website, it basically summarizes how I feel about Cesar Millan. It doesn't mention it in the article, but it also makes me nauseous to watch the intro on the show... where he's walking in the middle of streets with his 50-dog pack following him. Hey, that's totally safe, right?!

http://4pawsu.com/cesar.htm

I love my trainers =)

Okay, now you've done it, now I've got to set aside my non-tvness and check this guy out.

BTW, so much of dog "curing" on TV is set up. The thing in the article about the Dane being fearful of the lino in spite of supposedly being "cured" is typical. My mom used to watch Stanley Coren's show and I'd sit in sometimes. So often you could see that his supposedly "cured" behaviour problems were in no way cured, it was all set up for the camera. I had to quit watching it, it was too irritating.

What strikes me about this incident is that Mr. Millan either didn't train or didn't supervise his employee(s) at all. Not something to inspire trust in a man who basically sells his ability to 'communicate.'

Shawna, I agree with you about the tv thing. I'm a Professional Organizer, and the tv shows about getting organized by and large make me squirm. And that's when they don't make me want to throw something.

Ruth n the BC3