BC Boards

How Long Does it take You to Wear Out Your BC?

Well, Mark...I could concentrate on an IRS tax form without getting tired before an 1.5 hour long lecture...but I'm one of those oddball tax people.

I can work Keegan and Tess on sheep and they will perfectly content to spend the rest of the evening lying around (of course they wouldn't turn down a good game of ball - but they don't usually initiate after being worked). If we go the park and throw some frisbees and/or then they will rest for about 2-3 hours after returning home then initiate ball in the house rather than lying around quietly.

I never had good focus - I hated the ninety minute long lectures even though some of them comprised my very favoritest profs, sigh. Heck, the 4 minutes it takes to do a three-legged drive is way beyond my concentration ability. Although I got better with practice!

It's far, far better to work your dog's head than to attempt to wear out his body. The dog will always win that one and some dogs just get jacked up the more exercise you give them. I had one of those, yikes, and her relative I have now is like that now. He can do 400 yard gathers like we were just doing this afternoon (my neighbor just mowed the wheat field, wheee!), over and over for an hour straight and he just wants MOREMOREMOREMOREMORE. But ten minutes of fiddly driving and he's tripping over his tongue. So I rarely do the outruns and focus on the fiddly stuff. It's much better for him to get comfortable thinking than mindlessly orbiting.

I've never tried to wear Dally out because I'm worried about over doin it. My BestF's ACD got a limp when he was her age beacuse he got worked to hard )it went away after a while but..still) so it worries me.

However, my 2yo Lab/BC/GSD? mix take HOURS to be truely worn out. I mean like a few hour hard core trail ride(lots of trotting and loping and fairly steady hillwork) or hours of swimming (lake or river, if river against stream) and even then I'm not sure he is REALLY worn out he still wants to play and would probably keep goin if I let him lol.

I took Sophie out this morning, and after a run about, I got back into my car and drove off down the quiet road we were in. As expected, Sophie ran after me, I then turned round and she ran after me again, and then I had Sophie (BC) and Lucy (16yr GS) get back in the car, at least she got some good running in.

I used to do that with Lucy when she was younger. When we close to my moms, I would let her out of the car, and she would run behind the car, again on a quiet to dead road. Muy mom didn't like me doing that, but no harm done. :rolleyes:

ok for how long before I need to tell my girls to take a break.. that differnt, Happy, after maybe 30 minuts of running in the heat I ask her to lay down for a few minuts and order her to take a drink. Misty though has something wrong with her hips so it depends, I just watch her movement closly and the moment her hips start to sway I make her come lay down, but the amount of time this takes varys.

now for running in the deep snow they are ready for me to issue a break time within 10 minuts or so of trying jump through 3 feet of un treaded snow to retrive their toys. lol

This was a good subject. I enjoyed reading about everyones dog and how to tire them out.

Originally posted by Dog Lady:

I took Sophie out this morning, and after a run about, I got back into my car and drove off down the quiet road we were in. As expected, Sophie ran after me, I then turned round and she ran after me again, and then I had Sophie (BC) and Lucy (16yr GS) get back in the car, at least she got some good running in.

I used to do that with Lucy when she was younger. When we close to my moms, I would let her out of the car, and she would run behind the car, again on a quiet to dead road. Muy mom didn't like me doing that, but no harm done. :rolleyes:

My BestF used to do this with her ACD.. but.. be careful..he lost some respect for cars after a few times and just about got ran over at the park. I have thought of doin this before because my Lab is so crazy but I dont like the chasing cars idea and the lack of respect for cars after they are used to it.

Shelby and pete take about a 3-4 hours break after 1-2 hrs of exercise (bark park style), and are content to chew on something... then they play with each other... then come and get me to join in.

but those 3-4 hours of rest are great!!

Hoku just gets more wound up the more he runs. We have to do 'head' work along with the exercise, or he will just get into a frenzy. Took a while to figure this one out, but a half hour with training mixed in wears him out much better then a 2 hour full out run/romp. But a long hike to a new place does wear him out pretty well, I think all the sniffing must be like 'head' work.

I took the boys along the lakeshore this morning. Luckily, we have about 14 km of sandy beach here because this town is located right on the north shore of the mighty Lake Huron.

First, I dropped Loki's big, red rope and he took off back down the bush road, heading for town. I chased after him in the van and caught up with him 2.9kms (1.8 miles)later. He was still running full out, following his own shadow on the road.

Then we walked on the beach for an hour. Loki ran, Loki chased shadows in the sand, Loki swam (brr!) with a chocolate lab that was there. Loki jumped up and down on the big sheets of ice lining the shore, Loki sniffed...

We got home and he chased his shadow in the yard. Right now, he is chasing his shadow across the carpet. He has not stopped moving for near on 2 and a half hours. He is in a frenzy, hopefully he'll settle down soon.

Tex is flat out, dead sleepy in his crate.

Jo: Loki and Ouzo are so much alike personality and energy wise, that is scarry!

Is he still rumaging through your cupboards? :rolleyes: Haven't heard in a while of Loki's mischieves! And don't tell me he hasn't done anything worth writing about, because I will just not belive you

Folks, Anda and I do not make this stuff up.

I have been working a lot but I do make sure he has lots of walks and chew toys. Here is the latest LokiList,

--chewed the trim around the window (I was home)

--chewed thru my desk lamp cord While I was using the lamp to study

--looked outside and noticed him prying a board off my deck

--chewed the back edge off an old chair

--all shoes and slippers and houseplants and gloves, hats, scarfs and leashes live on top of the fridge

--he's stolen Tex'x spot on the bed and Tex now lays and whines 'poor me' until I rearrange them on the bed

--he feels the vibration of the train and barks until the rumblings stops (it took me a while to figure that one out)

--he has discovered the joys of howling...timberwolves are jealous of this guy

--this morning I slept in and he stroked a paw claw across my face to wake me up. I have a long, scarlet stripe on my face and I am meeting a guy friend later today for hockey - I'll have some 'splainin' to do.

--all Christmas decorations must have "eat me" written on them somewhere, I've given up, my neighbour with the llmonth old son and I have been comparing stories on tinsel terror and ornament obliteration.

He's a fat and sassy 14 month old pup, I love him!

LOL LOL LOL

I knew I wasn't alone there :rolleyes:

Let's see...lately...

- Stole chicken bones from the garbage - diarhea followed instantly (he's "sensitive" to chicken :mad: )

- keeps rearanging the shoes around the house, especially my husband's (mine are locked), and shows them to us to provoke us into a chase

- chewed and broke a watch I realy love, (silver and onyx) - hopefuly my husband or a jewler will be able to fix it

- hates to see his chewies in place in the plastic bin where I put them, so every day he digs ALL of them out, in search for the PERFECT bone. Even after they're all out, he keeps diginig in the plastic bin for a while, for good measure.

- then drags them in the middle of the livingroom

- steals anything he puts his eye on, especially computer parts from the computer room, where my husband has them laying everywhere

- peed again straight in our neighbour dog's mouth :D

- discovered the new plastic garbage cans that my husband insisted on buying, against my warnings (see pics below from this morning)

[some of you might remember the first yellow garbage can stuck over his head at 4 months - nothing changed, except the color of the new head ornament]

(You can see the feng-shuei he did with my shoes)

IMG_0330.jpg

Can he be any prouder?!

IMG_0333.jpg

- he's a lil angel when left alone in the house, but if we're not paying enough attention to him while busy with other things around the house, he's metamorphosing into a destruction machine

Edited to add: Mine is not fat, but big, and sassy and 13.5 months old. Hmmm....

I think we should retitle this thread: How long does it take for our bcs to wear us out?

I accidently left da boys alone for over 7 hours last weekend - was only supposed to be gone 2 - and came home to blissful serenity. But Stay home and try to read a book,forget it, they're not going to let that go on for long.

Oh, and I forgot to add his newest trick: while I'm trying to look through the weekly grocery adds, he comes by, looks up peacefully at me, then gently grabs the edge of the newspaper and pulls it down, while still making sweet eye contact with me. "Don't mind me, keep reading, I just need this piece of paper...I'm not even here, it's all just a dream"....

I think we should retitle this thread: How long does it take for our bcs to wear us out?
LOL!! I love those lists :rolleyes: . And I love Ouzo. Daddy bought him a new garbage lid, what a lucky boy! LMAO

Kessie is tired this evening! After our herding lesson, she even fell asleep while we were driving home on the autobahn, inspite of not being crated (she normally goes quite hyper at high speed, panting and trying to see evrything at once).

Oh, I got a new one, fresh from this morning!

Who ever knew that potatoes can be substituted for balls? :rolleyes:

As I was checking the boards few minutes ago, I hear a commotion in the livingroom and come to find this: Mr. Ouzo dragged a bag of potatoes we bought last night, took out one, and he was tossing it at me, just like a ball :D

IMG_0337.jpg

What do you mean, "Bad Boy"?! ( I think Ouzo finaly mastered the art of sulking!)

IMG_0339.jpg

I'm starting to think it isn't possible to wear these dogs out physically. Gypsy and I attended an agility seminar on Saturday that started at 8am. We worked until about 11:30. I was videotaping the afternoon session so they said we could join in to work some more if we liked. So finally after about 5 hours of agility she finally was looking tired and her courses were getting sloppy so we decided to quit. All the other dogs looked worn out by then but some people showed up at 5 to work their dogs by themselves since the equipment was out. Gypsy decided she'd impress everyone by running huge circles around the arena for a half hour :rolleyes: Then when we got home she wanted to play frisbee :eek: It's hard to sleep on the couch when your BC keeps hitting you in the head with a frisbee