BC Boards

How Long Does it take You to Wear Out Your BC?

wiped out? hehehe thats a good one! I am always the one that makes them stop.

Happy gets tired after running 6km but that just tired from running, she will continue to walk and as soon as I walk in the yard all her energy will magicly come back as she presents me with a toy. oh but after a full day of sheep herding she was completly wiped.

Misty was wiped out once.. that was the day I first rode my bike to work, it was not to actually GO to work but to map out the route and how long it took so I would know how early I needed to leave in the morning. it takes 45 minutes, so she ran alongside my bike for a total of an hour and half in the summer heat, her paws were bleeding as she stumbled into the yard when we got back lol

We've been discussing this lately because I would like to go back to work in a couple of years and I've not been so tied down since I nursed my newborns! Christmas shopping has been a juggle since I can only be out for a few hours before I realize I need to get back and give her exercise. She has four 40 minutes play, (work to her), per day and a walk for about 40 minutes with us every evening. She HATES taking walks and rolls her eyes, sighs, and acts like most teenage girls who have to suffer boring quality time with her parents. :rolleyes: The only time she truly seemed wiped in her eleven months so far was after she spent the day with extended family at Thanksgiving and her usual schedule was disrupted as she exhausted herself keeping track of the white poodle and the black schnoodle--the closest thing she has ever seen to little fluffy sheep! I have two kids in college and I'm home free, and yet we've introduced this little tornado into our lives!! I'll never be rested again...but happy! Charlene

I've never done it! Is it possible? :rolleyes:

My first borrowed dog, Dandy (hunting dog mix, young and strong) would get tired from certain mountains, she would end up walking behind me like a discouraged city dog although, in fact, she hardly obeyed at all. I think it was all the sniffing etc that crashed her, rather than the running itself.

If I walk the same trails with Kessie (who sniffs and investigates just as much as Dandy), she just waits impatiently for me to start doing something proper with her, like play-fighting or snowball throwing, marmot hunting, or going back home where the balls are. I don't think I've ever seen her worn out!

The heat gets to her in summer, but I don't think that's the same thing as me wearing her out.

She's normally content and lazy at the end of the day, though (raw feeding might help a bit with that), so it doesn't seem necessary to wear her out all the way.

Lol...I really should have asked, WHEN do you make them stop? :D

The reason I ask, is because Poppy will try to keep going, with a huge tongue hanging out, even after a half hour to an hour of excercise !!!

Soooo I have to make him stop playing ball or frisbee or basketball or whatever he is doing.

And yeah I noticed too, that the mental stimulation stuff really wears them out. :rolleyes:

Two hours of running non stop and swimming at the dog park usualy does the trick. But not instantly, he's still ready to go as I put him in the car, but once he gets home, he crashes for a few hours, and even for the night, if we're lucky!

Just walking or playing frisbee never gets him tired enough. Maybe bored, then he wants to do something else.

It is important that you know your own dog and can watch for signs that they should take a brake. These dogs DO keep going and going and going to the point that they could actually hurt themselves physically. Long tongues are one of the easiest things to see! When it starts dragging across the ground, take a water brake! :rolleyes:

Gee, all it takes with Fergie is turning the last corner on the way home. Then, she becomes this sad old achy geriatric dog.

Until she spots a squirrel in our yard - or Mari's car, which means 1-3 of her favorite girls.

Then she's a puppy again.

Missy has slept sounder at night since I got Kipp. And she looks a bit more tired at times during the day. But it's because she insists on running huge circles around him during our walks in the field - at full speed. For the three days a week I'm home on the farm, she probably gets 4-5 hours of exercise each day between sheep, kids, cats and Kipp. She usually gets a caught up on her rest on Monday, and is rarin' to go again by Tuesday.

The only time I saw her truly wiped out was after 2 intense hours of chasing her ball at a family picnic.

I am sooooo happy I have a mix of something. Zoe is tired out with just a 10 minute full-out run around the yard with me. :rolleyes: Not exhausted, but panting happily and ready to settle down with a bone for a chew. But then, she's happy to amuse herself even when she is psychotically hyper.

Mine gets tired after about 20 minutes of playing in the yard, but he's getting used to the new food too so he's getting so he can play longer now :rolleyes:

Wear Out???? Hasn't happened with Cody yet and he is 7 Years old and still acts like a 1 year old dog.

Meg starts getting fatigued after a hard half hour, we rest a little, then go to 45 minutes. Sometimes we do this rest, play, rest,play out to 75 minutes if the weather is dry and cool and she has a lot of search work to do. Our routine is chuck-it, frisbee, search and hike in various patterns. Three times a day, play inside during the zoomies and she will nap twice and sleep soundly throught the night.

Eight hours of doggie day care knocks her out.