BC Boards

Progress in the Epilepsy Study?

laurie etc

Eileen, Denise, other Health Committee Members...

Has there been any progress in the Epilepsy DNA study? Are we getting closer to an answer? Seems like every time I turn around someone is telling me of another Epi Border Collie - from working lines. And not heaviliy linebred, "sportbred" or obscure lines, but dogs going back to some of the most sought after (and used) working/trialing sheepdogs. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's not so much a "genetic epilepsy" thing as it is a "vaccinosis", or an aquired or genetic immune system or threshold thing that just didn't crop up in the "olden days" because dogs in the "olden days" were more chemical and drug free...

Laurie

There are two studies currently underway in which the ABCA is participating (by supplying samples). I believe one (University research project) is nearing the end of sample (positives and controls) collection and will the running the samples using Affymetrix Canine Genome 2.0 Array. The other, I believe is still collecting samples and pedigrees. Denise will have a better idea since she is the one handling the sample transfers (and some sample collection).

Mark

As Mark said, we are currently involved in two epilepsy studies. If anyone has or knows of a living dog affected with epilepsy whose owner might be willing to participate in the study please contact me at cdwall@mindspring.com

In one of the studies, the most promising one, we need affected samples as soon as possible.

Thanks for any help.

Denise Wall, PhD

ABCA Health and Genetics Committee

Can you say a bit more about the specifics of the studies, especially the 'promising' one?

Thanks!

I can't get too technical here, but the "promising one" is a powerful new technique, just on the market for dogs, that does not rely on unaffected relatives like standard techniques used to identify genes. It's possible it may not work to get the answer like we hope it will, but the advantage is we will know very quickly if it will or not.

Again, anybody who can help by sending in a blood sample from an affected dog, please contact me at cdwall@mindspring .com

Time is of the essence in this particular study.

In the other study we are working through the U of MO where standard techniques are being used. You can find the info here:

having trouble getting link to go through...will try again later

Denise

• 2 weeks later...

I had my vet (actually his replacement because he was at a conference in Las Vegas) draw blood from our 2 seizure dogs and Fed Exed it to UC (Davis) on Monday. The people doing the study even paid for the Fed EX and so far my vet hasn't charged for taking the blood samples. There's a very simple worksheet that goes with it, plus we sent copies of the pedigrees and our vet records. I heard from the woman doing the study that everything arrived in great shape yesterday. This was actually very simple and will hopefully help in eliminating or at least reducing epilepsy in BCs. If you have BCs with seizures, I encourage you to participate.

Barb Scott

• 1 month later...

News of this is filtering into the UK.

Is testing at the stage of identifying carriers yet?

The reason I ask is that my boy's litter brother was PTS because of "fitting" and their mothers litter brother has also produced "fitters".

The breeder of my boy is very upset aand naturally wants to test all her stock - even though she did not breed the dam (who has been spayed).

Thanks.

Steph.

No, not now, and certainly not for some time yet. Good luck with your dog.

Thank you. I will keep watching and waiting.

Loki is 2 1/2 now, and so far, has shown no signs.... I know this does not mean he never will, but .....

He is still enjoying life to the full and doesn't know that anything is wrong.

• 1 year later...

Our last discussions with the researchers indicate they are wrapping up loose ends in their study. Once this is completed it will be published. The general overview I received was there were multiple genes implicated, so a simple genetic test is unlikely. The H&G Committee plans to prepare a review of the publication (when available) along with a link to the publication (if available on-line).

Mark

I suspect it would depend upon how prevelent these genes (risk factors) are in the gene pool. It could be these gene are very prevelent and when you get the right combinations the risk increases to the point where the disease is manifested.

Mark