BC Boards

Questions

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any info will be appreciated, remember, I'm just throwing around the idea and would like to see different views/thoughts.

How very disingenuous!

Everyone else has already given excellent arguments why Whinny should not be bred. I won't repeat them. I will point out that none of this is about YOU and that what it is about is the BREED. Because the answers are not what you wanted to read, you chose to take things personally when there is no need.

Don't worry -- you're not alone. Any number of backyard (mis)breeders have come to these boards and asked exactly the same questions and reacted exactly the same way. The question is, will you be better than they were?

Will you read what people have read, put your hurt feelings aside, and really digest the advice and information here? It's good advice. You should take it to heart.

I have a rescued red dog (RED! OOH, PRETTY!) with nice breeding behind him and looks to die for. (Yes. He is extremely good looking. He is probably better looking than between 95-100% of the other Border Collies here. He is definitely better looking than Whinny. We are only talking about personal opinions here and I thought I'd just throw that one out. I welcome all different views or thoughts.)

My red dog is registered and when I got him he was not neutered because his original owner intended to use him as a puppy mill stud dog. (He may even have been bred, but he has no ABCA registered puppies.) I love him as much, even more, than anyone has ever loved a dog. He is my soulmate. In my eyes, he is perfect. Would I breed him? No freaking way! There's a big, big difference between what I think is perfect and neato about him and what's right for dogs in general and the breed in particular.

The point is that we all love our own dogs and think they are the bestest ever. If everyone who felt this way bred their dogs, the ones that are the bestest ever, and the prettiest, and the coolest color, we would be even more up to our ears in unwanted Border Collies than we already are.

Please don't breed your dog.

about two months ago his old owners came up to me asking if i knew where is was at, as they wanted to bred him with an AKC lab that lives next to them! I asked them why? why do you want to bred him? there answer was. Because he is good looking and so is she. we want one of his puppies... at this point I had had enough. they had treated him SO BADLY. got a pit after that attacked the husband and child and got rid of her.. and now they wanted to BREED?!? this poor lil man.. I had enough, so I let them have it.
Shelb'smum, what happens next??? how does the story end?

I'm a farmer. I have intact dogs. I trial a little (first trial in three years in two weeks!). I suck at handling and training, though I've had decent dogs. I've decided I will leave breeding to others - I just don't want it. It's too bad because I enjoy very much the pedigree games that are associated with breeding, and seem to have a bit of a knack for some parts of it, but I'll just have to continue to be a spectator on the sidelines. If I want heartbreak, and straine/broken friendships, and more intense work, I'll just focus more on my sheep in that respect. Or maybe ducks.

Originally posted by SoloRiver:

I have a rescued red dog (RED! OOH, PRETTY!) with nice breeding behind him and looks to die for. (Yes. He is extremely good looking. He is probably better looking than between 95-100% of the other Border Collies here.

Ahem. I do believe MY Red Dog falls into that other 5% of the dogs here.

:rolleyes:

RDM

My little red girl Carlie would also like to join the top percent of beautiful red dogs on this board. She is very sure of her beauty! :rolleyes:

Olivia

PS. She is a great sheep dog, agility dog, therapy dog and obedience dog. Great temperament, bomb proof around all kinds of people, kids, dogs, etc. She was spayed at 6 months.

Whinny,

I have to say that this board replied in a far kinder, gentler tone than some of the other boards I have visited and read their archives on breeding on. Some I expected my computer to burst into flame from some of the things said and the way they were said. You strike me as young with a strong desire to prove others wrong. That is just the "tone" I "hear" in what you are saying. Nothing we do or say to you is going to change your mind. After looking at your girl to me IN MY OPINION she is just okay, nothing to write home about. IN MY OPINION my Blue Merle Aussie is nicer looking, but then again I'm more attracted to rough coated dogs. What I am saying is that beauty true to the saying is in the eye of the beholder. When you come to the board and present your girl with the idea of breeding and extol on her beauty and cuteness, I will say to you thats nice but can she work, what are her lines, have her hips/eyes/thyroid been checked and certified, whats her temperment, why do you feel you should breed her. These are questions a potential breeder should EXPECT to be asked by educated people involved in the breed. They are not ment to be insulting to either you or your dog. Remember there is no perfect dog, that does not mean we do not strive for perfection in function and form.

Whinny,

Why would you make a post asking for opinions, then take offense at the opinions given?

Whinny is cute, yes. So is my Papillon. Want to breed them together?? I recall you saying that you were against breeding Border Collies for conformation . . . How is breeding them for "cuteness" or color any different?

Another aspect of it that hasn't been addressed: Even if you realize 3-4 years down the road that your pup has the right stuff for breeding, will you? Breeding and raising a litter is not easy, and most pet owners just aren't cut out for it. I'm not. I'd love to breed someday, but at this point I don't know what the hell I'm doing. No good.

I don't mean to be rude, but it's evident in your posts that you aren't exactly an expert on breeding. Maybe you should get a bit more involved in the breed and learn what goes into this before you consider letting your bitch whelp a litter.

JMO.

Grace

Solo was propositioned at an agility trial once. A fellow competitor came up to us, waxed poetic for a bit about his color, beauty, and structure, and then asked me if he was intact and if I was interested in breeding him. She hadn't even seen him run! (Or, for that matter, seen him spook at the judge.)

I told her, sorry, he's neutered, and he's a rescue, and he has behavioral issues and isn't the greatest working dog the world has ever seen and that I would never be interested in breeding him even if he still had nuts. She then asked me if I knew who his breeder was and I said yes, but I wasn't going to tell her because the guy who bred Solo doesn't deserve anyone's business. She wanted to go and get another Solo so she could breed him to her bitch and make pretty red puppies!

There are a lot of ignorant, selfish people out there. I don't know if Whinny's owner is still reading but if you are, please don't be one of them.

Wow Melanie - that is awful!!

I have been asked MANY times if I plan to breed Dazzy (who has spayed at 6 months) but no one ever went as far as that girl went!

Solo is very handsome - and you could never get another one like him no matter what (even if you cloned him). Some people don't get that....

I get that alot too. When we're out walking on the street.

"Gorgeous dogs! Are you going to breed them?"

...This from people that don't even know what breed they are!!!

They then ask me, "Are they Border Collies?"

And I just look at them and say, "Thanks, yes they are borders and no way- they're already fixed thank god." :rolleyes:

They then give me this pitying look like I'm a dumb @$$ and tell me, "Shame."

And I think to myself, how is that a shame to prevent anymore unwanted litters of dogs?

I ran into a guy doing a frisbee demo at a fair. I had Freya with me. First question he asked, "Is that a male?" I told him no, a female, and asked if he was looking for a Border Collie. He said, "Yes. I like your dog. Do you know of any that look like her?" I told him that yes, in fact, we had a very nice looking split face male in rescue who would love a sport home and handed him a business card for the rescue group I work with. He looked at it for a minute then asked me all sorts of questions about how tall he was, how fluffy, his markings. I was actually naive enough to think he was interested in adopting this dog. Then he asked what his breeding was like. I told him that I didn't know, that we did not always get papers with our rescues. Do you know what he said next? "Is he intact? I just want a dog to breed to my female BC I do frisbee with."

Oh I've had people ask me if I was sad that Maggie was spayed when I got her and she's not even close to being purebred as far as I can tell. : They thought such a nice dog would have nice pups - I promtly educated them on the 5000 animals/year that come thru the county shelter and the 20% of dogs that are euthanized for lack of a home. For once I actually think I got through to them.

Originally posted by BorderC:

]Shelb'smum, what happens next??? how does the story end?

What happened was that I lost my only and closet friend because of this. the trash called people, are in fact her brother and sister in-law and she is no longer speaking to me. i haven't seen them with another dog yet, but I have pissed them off enough, where nobody in the family will talk to me. :rolleyes: