Jump to content
BC Boards

Lymphoma - what can you tell me about it?


Maralynn
 Share

Recommended Posts

Right now the best guess of what is wrong with Kipp is Lymphoma. No certain diagnosis yet but we're waiting for pathology results and may know in a day or two. If that is the case, I'm not sure what to do next. I know it's treatable to a certain extent, but in basic internet searches I'm seeing that treatment can run several thousand dollars with the results often being just another year or so of life. It that's the case, as much as I'd like to treat, I just don't know about doing anything more than palative care. Any thoughts or experiences dealing with lymphoma?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, unfortunately, is my experience. Treatment may extend your dog's life a bit, but the treatment is not easy on the dog so quality is not great, and it is very expensive. I'm definitely a quality over quantity owner. I hope, hope, hope that you don't find that this is what Kipp has. I'm really sorry that you're even having to think about these kinds of decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, no. :( I'm really hoping and praying that's not it.

 

We lost a kitty to lymphoma a year or so ago. We chose palliative care (I hope that's the right word?) over trying to fight it. She was 16 years old, already. Izzy lasted about 4 months post diagnosis and almost all of that was good quality time. I don't have any experience beyond that.

 

Damn. Just hoping it's something else for Kipp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh I'm sorry, Maralynn. The one I had I treated, a good, no great, compound pharmacy was the way I went wrt drugs and my homeopathic vet. His quality was terrific for about a year and a half. Then I went with palliative care.

 

Have you taken any x-rays yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter just lost her "special dog" to mast cell cancer. She decided that, for this 12 year old dog, she would do what she could to make her life comfortable and enjoyable. She had neither the financial resources to pursue aggressive treatment (she did have the first tumor removed but the cancer came back quickly and aggressively) and she did not want to treat aggressively if that meant that Nellie would be uncomfortable.

 

The day she knew it was time, it was still hard but she had made up her mind quite some time beforehand. That made it so much easier (and that's not the right word because none of it was easy, except spoiling Nellie these last few months) for all concerned. Nellie had a good life, minimal discomfort, and was spared a lot of vet work (which she hates) and dragging things out.

 

Whatever it is, whatever happens, whatever you decide, I wish you peace and contentment with your decisions, good times together, and memories to fill your heart with joy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry to learn this, Mara. It was almost exactly one year ago that my 11 year old aussie , Boo received lymphoma as a likely diagnosis. The vet and I thought the lump on his throat was an abcess because a needle aspiration did not produce any cancer cells, just necrotic tissue. He had surgery to remove the lump and the vet called me with the bad news when she came out of surgery. I was supposed to pick him the following day. After an anguished evening of deep reflection, I opted not to pursue treatment and made the decision to let him go. He may have survived for a few months, but frankly I could not face watching him undergo the inevitable decline. I know you have some tough days ahead. I hope you find peace with whatever decision you arrive at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's had x-rays, u/s, bloodwork and they drew off fluid from his chest cavity to send away for analysis. Nothing was conclusive and some things just didn't line up with others, i.e. with what the vet saw, blood work should be signifficantly off but a couple things were just borderline off. A couple other things that aren't out of the relm of possibility are auto immune or TBD. Hoping for something more conclusive when the lab report comes back. Sigh. So for now I want to start hashing out the big question of what to do next if it is indeed lymphoma.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's on a couple different antibiotics now including one that would combat TBDs that he was started on tonight. he showed some improvement on amoxicillin earlier this week and his diarrhea went from foul smelling normal poop smell with that. So if it's something in the TBD vein then it's being dealt with while waiting for test results.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. Visited the vet again today since Kipp was really out of it last night with a non existent appetite (possibly due to antibiotics). Another x-ray showed less fluid in his chest which is good for his comfort levels but it also showed something that could be a tumor in his intestine (not definitive because the fluid in his abdomen). Vet feels that lymphoma is very likely at this point. Still waiting on the lab results to make a final decision about treatment. They can do exploratory surgery but said there is only about a 30% chance of it ending on a really positive note :( so that's probably out of the question unless by some miracle the lab doesn't find cancer cells or they feel that it's highly treatable. It's been pretty rough but really glad the vet is being candid with me on everything. On the bright side we got yet another med that has perked his appetite up a bit and he happily played a bit of frisbee this afternoon then went to check on the lambs with me :) So hopefully we can have a good weekend together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a supplement for the immune system from Vetri-Science called Maitake DMG that a friend swears by. Her dog has CETL and after she put her dog on this, her dog went into remission. I believe it has been about 6-8 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry to hear this. We lost two dogs, sisters, one after the other to lymphoma some years ago. We were able to nurture each of them along a good while and one dog actually lived about 4 months longer than the vet expected. But each eventually began to have trouble finding food that interested them and when their joy of life faded, we had to let them go.

I hope vets have better treatments now. But most of all, love and spoil and enjoy your boy, and give him a hug from me. My heart goes out to you and Kipp.

~ Gloria

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. Heard from the vet this evening and it is indeed lymphoma :( He's going to call a specialist at Purdue tomorrow to get their input but right now treatment options seem limited due to the probable intestinal tumor and current lack of appetite. Kipp's attitude has remained good so far - has played frisbee every day and tried to push the sheep out of the barn last night - but things could change quickly of course. I'm very grateful that we had a good weekend together!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...