BC Boards

Hi everyone. So I'm looking for some balls to buy the collies. Everyone tells you to not use tennis balls cause It's too abrasive on the teeth. So I'm looking at something like the Rogz Asteroidz, but is unsure of which size to get. Med or Lrg. They recommend med for dogs like spaniels, etc, and the lrg for dalmation, boxer, etc. I'm leaning towards Lrg. With the collies, I've found in general that bigger is better. They tend to be rough.

Any other recommendations?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you end up getting a chuckit, which all the fetching dogs I've met have loved, you could get a Nite Ize ball. They're LED balls that glow really well in the dark. I find myself using it a lot more as we get closer to December. It fits a medium Chuckit perfectly, but you can't throw it on concrete since it'll break.

My (ex-) foster boy Tad loved chuckit balls. If you look carefully at the photo below, you'll see it's the sort that has a wide hole through the middle. Not only do they have good bounce, but they have a certain "squishability" that made them extra special.

Tad-20130411_165655_zpsef7a6984.jpg

[Tad training a random person at the park to throw the ball]

Quinn votes for Chuck It balls too. He especially likes the whistling ones and this time of year I like the glow in the dark ones. Very durable (tho he only has access to them in supervised play) and the give or squishy aspect seems to highten his enjoyment. Plus the chuck it stick means you dont beed to touch a drooly, muddy ball. :)

There are pink rubber balls that have been around many years, called 'Pinky'. I find them in the oddest places - some grocery stores and drug stores, toy stores, etc. I'm always looking for them.

They fit just right into a Chuckit stick, they're bright pink, (like pink gum erasers) so they're easy to find in leaves, dirt, etc, they float, and they're less than half the price of the Chuckit balls. They're not as sturdy as the Chuckit balls, so I wouldn't leave them around if I had a dedicated chewing fiend, but they last forever when just used for fetch.

Don't try googling 'Pinky'. Some very weird stuff comes up. Just look in the kids toy section whenever you're in a drug store, large grocery, etc.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Don't try googling 'Pinky'. Some very weird stuff comes up. Just look in the kids toy section whenever you're in a drug store, large grocery, etc.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

I grew up loving Pinkies. New ones bounced just right but they would stiffen up and lose that lovely bounce and soft feel with age. It was always a big deal to get a brand new one. I haven't seen one in years.

My dogs vote for Chuck-It balls, not the tennis ball fuzzy kind. I like whistlers, too, but the deaf dog is at a disadvantage with those. And I love glow-in-the-dark for some play when we can't see well enough otherwise, like after work on a winter's day.

In the winter, when we are playing in the dark, we use a glow in the dark chuck it ball, or a rubber on that has LED lights in it. The latter is expensive (like $20), and we go through two or three a winter because they tend to get wet and the battery corrodes, or else we lose one in the ditch or what have you. I like the LED one because it doesn't flash and turn itself off to be lost forever if someone doesn't find it right away - it stays on until you depress the off button (which takes, incidentally, super human strength to do!).

The rest of the year we use road hockey balls, because they are cheap and I don't much mind if we lose one in the tall grass of my property.

One year I bought Piper a $10 pink Orbee ball and lost it to a juvenile eagle the first day at the beach. It swooped down and stole it out of the water before Piper could get there. Stupid eagle.

RDM

One year I bought Piper a $10 pink Orbee ball and lost it to a juvenile eagle the first day at the beach. It swooped down and stole it out of the water before Piper could get there. Stupid eagle.

RDM

That would have been worth the loss to see! Well, once.

Tennis balls are just fine for fetch and chuck it if you don't let them chew on them excessively. Chuck it's and rubber kongs are wonderful for their bouncy action and they float. Tennis balls are great though in particular if you have friends/family who are Avis tennis players since they always have tons of old balls to give away. My dogs favorite balls are tennis balls with all the fuzz sheared off!

Thanks everyone, Unfortunately Chuck it balls don't seem to have reached RSA yet. Can't find one single company who sells Chuck it balls. Kong balls, Rogz and other similar. I have also just heard the stories about Tennis balls being bad, hence my search for something else. But after what cwb3 said I did some research and found this article: http://www.annarbor.com/pets/tennis-balls-are-the-safe-for-dogs/. they mention that as long as you don't let the dogs chew on them for hours, their teeth should be just fine. In the meantime we'll keep on looking....

Tennis balls are just fine for fetch and chuck it if you don't let them chew on them excessively.

This. Moderation in all things.

My dogs gnaw on hard bones for ages with no ill effects. I'm not going to worry about the odd game of fetch with a tennis ball.

An objection I have with tennis balls is not only their coating but the fact that they pick up grit and sand, which are both very abrasive.

You make do with what you have available and exercise reasonable care!

An objection I have with tennis balls is not only their coating but the fact that they pick up grit and sand, which are both very abrasive.

Despite exercising my dogs by the sea I don't have that problem since Kye drops his in the nearest water at every opportunity. Very annoying but maybe there is method in his madness.

Yup - this! Around here tennis balls collect dirt and sand like crazy and become sandpaper balls. And, if I don't grab them and put them up after play, the dogs chew off the outer coating and make a huge mess. But they've never destroyed a chuckit ball.

In addition to the glow in the dark balls already mentioned, two other Chuckit! balls my dogs love are these:

This one bounces erratically which I like, if you can get them to bouce from side to side after chucking them (they will still work in the launcher) its fun to watch your BCs turn on a dime!

http://www.chewy.com/dog/chuckit-erratic-ball-x-large/dp/49733?utm_content=Chuckit%21&utm_source=shopping.com&utm_medium=cse

and the larger Kick Fetch. I was hesitant to spend $20 on this one as I thought they might chew through it. But its well made and mine is still very much in tact. The orange fabric will get plenty dirty/muddy when used outdoors but I just toss mine in the washer and it comes out looking new.

http://www.chewy.com/dog/chuckit-kick-fetch-ball-large/dp/49718?utm_content=Chuckit%21&utm_source=shopping.com&utm_medium=cse

I would strongly advise against any sort of fetch game in a wooded area and absolutely not in the dark. Border collies will skewer themselves, rip themselves and wreck themselves chasing a toy, and darkness vastly heightens that danger. You don't want to make an ER run at 9 o'clock on a Saturday ...

~ Gloria