BC Boards

Depending on the size of your dog's mouth - raquetballs are good too. They bounce and roll, just like tennis balls, but are slightly smaller. You definitely don't want one that a dog could accidentally swallow!! And they could be thrown with the chuck-it handles.

My youngster happens to like Holey Rollers. I get a smaller one (I think they come in 3 sizes...hers is the middle one), and I put a small cat-type ball inside. I can pitch it nearby with some accuracy (doing agility training, not just for exercise), and she can grab it through the holes. If and when she brings it back to me, I can hold onto it too. AND a friend makes big thick braided fleece "handles" for them - double bonus!

diane

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My youngster happens to like Holey Rollers. I get a smaller one (I think they come in 3 sizes...hers is the middle one), and I put a small cat-type ball inside. I can pitch it nearby with some accuracy (doing agility training, not just for exercise), and she can grab it through the holes. If and when she brings it back to me, I can hold onto it too. AND a friend makes big thick braided fleece "handles" for them - double bonus!

diane

Our dogs love the holey roller and there is now a similar one out that has a recycled water bottle ball inside so they can make crunchy noises.

Don't play ball in the woods, an employee of Clean Run lost her border collie when he ran into a tree when just running with other dogs, and a friend of ours lost their mutt at the house when he ran into a tree at night and broke his neck. I would never stop taking my dogs to the woods but we are careful not to throw things not matter how often sticks are dropped at our feet.

My youngster happens to like Holey Rollers. I get a smaller one (I think they come in 3 sizes...hers is the middle one), and I put a small cat-type ball inside.

Tansy loooooves her Hol-ee Roller!! We have a large one that I put a tennis ball inside. It's her absolute favorite toy!

Our dogs love the holey roller and there is now a similar one out that has a recycled water bottle ball inside so they can make crunchy noises.

Crunchy water bottles are a close second, but she flattens them in less than 5 seconds <_< . . . . the one w/ the bottle sounds like it could be great. I'll have to look for it. Is it also made by JW Pet, or is it someone else?

Before last Sunday's time change I was able to get home in time to walk/run my dogs with about an hour of daylight. Not anymore :angry:

I have a glow ball that I held to the light for a few minutes before we headed out last night but its glow was maybe just good enough for the dogs but not for me (I lost track of it soon after it left my hand). Anyone know a good/durable brand of chuckit type balls that have a light inside? I've read many reviews on Amazon of various balls that don't have much durability. This is the only one I could find that has a replaceable battery:

ttp://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-MTLP-08-03-MeteorLight-ball/dp/B001QC0JRU/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_4

Also looking at the illuminated discs:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UJ0654/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1EEYX3G46HLIG

The chuckit glow balls do hold quite the "charge" when held up to light for long enough.

Thanks, I'll leave in the light longer for tonight's activities. Just to clarify, I'm not playing fetch in the woods...

in the dark :D There's a large school yard just three blocks from the house so I walk the dogs there and have them chase the balls. It's wide open but pretty dark now.

I hold the Chuck It ball close to a light, a few different sides for several seconds each side and it holds the charge for our game of night fetch. I often think of The Hound of the Baskervilles as I see the glowing orb bobbing towards me in the dark. That said, we are playing in my backyard and the throws aren't super long so maybe that is part of why I have never lost track of the ball. Quinn also sees it easily and will catch it mid air on a bounce.

I won a little lighted tag from DeltaTess' blog in a caption contest (thank you!). I love it for our early a.m. And, now, after work play time. Not only can I see the Chuckit glow ball, I can really see where Bennie is at all times. Love it!

I have those on my two dogs also. Sammy has the solid red and Foster has the the changing color light. It helps me keep track of whose were out in the school yard grass. At night. In the dark :ph34r:

Come on Winter Solstice already. I don't think the dogs care but I prefer daylight hours!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few of the orange Chuckit balls. I do not, however, use the throwing apparatus, I use my arm. It just looks so ridiculous!

I've just got a Chuckit for the first time because I can't throw and am sick of being humiliated by my spin bowler daughter.

I don't know why I waited so long; it's great and I can relieve the repetitive strain on my muscles and joints by launching in several different ways.

I have a few of the orange Chuckit balls. I do not, however, use the throwing apparatus, I use my arm. It just looks so ridiculous!

Really?!? I never thought it looked ridiculous. :lol: I appreciate that I can throw farther with the Chuck it stick and especially appreciate that I don't need to handle a drooly ball.

Really?!? I never thought it looked ridiculous. :lol: I appreciate that I can throw farther with the Chuck it stick and especially appreciate that I don't need to handle a drooly ball.

I think they must have been designed with collies in mind, what with their common tendency to drop the ball in front of you and back off instead of delivering it to hand.

Now all I've got to do is to train my hound either to drop it or place it directly into the cup instead of my hand. I used to be glad he would give it to me rather than my having to bend down but I'm not so sure now.

Srsly! I throw like a girl and I think I look far more ridiculous throwing a short flub ball that might go in any direction while my dog basically gets no exercise or satisfaction because of his hapless owner's ineptitude. :rolleyes:

And I don't like dirty, spit covered, slimy balls either. :blink:

For several years I looked at chuckit launchers and thought "why bother?". Then I got one and thought "why in the world didn't I get one sooner?!?". It greatly enhanced my throwing ability AND I didn't have to deal with those slimy balls.

For 10 years I played fetch with 3 border collies. Twice a day. Every day, rain, wind, cold, hot, it didn't matter. Having already developed some repetitive motion injuries, I found that using a chuckit greatly increased the distance, thus mollifying the Beasts Who Ruled My Life more quickly.

AND, when a ball escapes through the fence, or is hidden in nasty slimy weeds, I'm quite happy I have a plastic stick with which to retrieve said ball. Even though I am mollifying a single border collie now, I am chuckit dependant.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs, who finally convinced Ruth to just leave the darn chuckit in the car so we never forget it.

I agree that the chuckit is one of those things that I didn't think that I needed, but now that I have one, I can not live without it. I used to have a pretty good throwing arm - having played catcher in high school softball because I had the fastest throw to second base. Now that I am chronologically challenged, the chuckit is a godsend. (more throwing, less drool) I was recently at a yard sale and snatched up a perfectly good, used chuckit for 25 cents!!!!! Score!!

Jovi

Now that I am chronologically challenged, the chuckit is a godsend. (more throwing, less drool) I was recently at a yard sale and snatched up a perfectly good, used chuckit for 25 cents!!!!! Score!!

Jovi

Jovi, color me jealous. $.25? If you find more you could probably sell them on eBay and make a tidy profit!

Ruth

Srsly! I throw like a girl and I think I look far more ridiculous throwing a short flub ball that might go in any direction while my dog basically gets no exercise or satisfaction because of his hapless owner's ineptitude. :rolleyes:

And I don't like dirty, spit covered, slimy balls either. :blink:

The chuck it is amazing. I cannot understand why someone would think it looked ridiculous?? You don't have to bend down to the ground and handle a wet-slimey ball anymore and can throw it much farther with little effort. I think I look ridiculous using my entire body to launch a ball that barely goes anywhere. :P The chuck it is great for reaching the ball out of muddy puddles too. Plus my dog likes to get a running start and I can actually throw it like a frisbee so he can catch it with ease while continuing to run.