BC Boards

Very Upsetting Story in the UK regarding a Border Collie

Hello,

I am new to the BC Boards. My name is Samantha.

I signed up to the BC Boards to share with you a most upsetting story that happened last week in the UK (Northern Ireland) to a 3 year old Border Collie called Codie.

She was covered in lighter fluid and set alight by 2 disgusting human beings. She managed to get home and at first her owners did not even recognize her. She was immediately taken to the vets, where she has been ever since Aug 26th.

You can read about the story here:- ***Warning Pictures are not nice***

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2194771/The-horrifying-pictures-family-s-border-collie-torched-thugs.html

The family have set up a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/justiceforcodythedog

and at writing this note, it has 53,892 likes.

There has also been a donation site set up by a well wisher:-

http://www.gofundme.com/helpcodie

I know that it is very disturbing and the pictures are not nice, but we are trying to raise as much money as we can to help Codie and her family. Vets bills will be high and if she makes it through, she will need rehabilitation.

I am not related in anyway to the Family of Codie - Im just a dog lover and want to help in anyway I can. I actually live in the Rep of Panama! I read about the story online and was devastated to read that something so terrible to could happen to a beloved animal. I feel compelled to help raise awareness and funds.

Thanks so much for reading.

Samantha

Welcome! I have seen this on FB and thank you for sharing the information here in case anyone here was unaware and is interesting in making a contribution.

The depravity of some people is beyond me. Fortunately, she managed to make it home and is getting veterinary assistance. Too many dogs who fall prey to sick humans like this do not survive or even make it home so they have a chance at recovery.

There are times when the old rule of "an eye for an eye" is awfully tempting...

it was hard to view the pictures without getting sick.

In this horrific war filled world the attack of children and animals screams to me the loudest. the heartlessness of these attackers can not be felt or imagined. I hope that they will somehow be able to feel the pain in their heart and conscious that they have reaped on this innocent animal. How do we call these creatures humans?

I will be thinking and praying about Codi for quite some time.

We had a cat at the vet I work for with similar burn injuries (it was caught in a barn fire and came home the next day). His feet were horribly burned as was his face. Most of his fur was singed off. He did pull through in the end although ended up needing most of his claws declawed because of the damage, and his face and especially eyes/eyelids have a lot of scarring. Looking at the photos of the dog, she doesn't look much worse than that cat so I have hope she'll pull through and do well. The big thing with the cat was wound care and major pain meds, and getting him to eat so his body would heal.

Please someone tell me where in this world we can still live without the people and animals we care about so deeply being exposed to such horrendous humans. I am so tired. My stomach is in knots and I can't seem to stop crying whenever I even allow myself to think of the horror.

I can't stop thinking about this dog. Poor baby. I actually had nightmares last night about this.

Hate to be skeptical... but are we sure that the account set up for donations is actually going to the vet bills? I would like to donate, but it looks like such a generic donation link, and doesn't really explain how the woman is connected to the family or to the vet clinic where the dog is being treated. (So many scams on the 'net.)

Thanks,

Mary

I can't stop thinking about this dog. Poor baby. I actually had nightmares last night about this.

Hate to be skeptical... but are we sure that the account set up for donations is actually going to the vet bills? I would like to donate, but it looks like such a generic donation link, and doesn't really explain how the woman is connected to the family or to the vet clinic where the dog is being treated. (So many scams on the 'net.)

Thanks,

Mary

Hi Mary,

There is an article here explaining who "Tara Purdy" is:-

http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/news/local/fundraising-campaign-set-up-1-4212710

She isn't connected to the Family, she is just a Dog Lover - like us!

It really is a horrific story and really makes you think what the world is coming to when things like this can happen. I believe that the Police in N-Ireland have made 2 arrests. We can only hope that they get put behind bars for what they did to poor Codie.

I havent been able to stop thinking about this poor dog since I read about the story last Sunday morning.

Lets pray she makes a full recovery.

Samantha x

I am not so cruel as to do this to anything be it human or animal even if the person is a bad person. Does that not make me as bad as that person? JMO

I do believe in Karma and prision though. or coumminity service of some sort to help the person or people learn something. Sometimes even these horrific crimes are learned behavior. Can you imagine what sort of life these sick people must have? No love that's for sure.

I am not so cruel as to do this to anything be it human or animal even if the person is a bad person. Does that not make me as bad as that person? JMO

I do believe in Karma and prision though. or coumminity service of some sort to help the person or people learn something. Sometimes even these horrific crimes are learned behavior. Can you imagine what sort of life these sick people must have? No love that's for sure.

I think they should be made to volunteer at a local shelter for an enormous amount of hours. They should be made to feed, clean, walk, and get to know many dogs. They should also volunteer at a vets office to see the pain afterwards that dogs endure (whether car accident, illness, etc just so they can see the owners and the dogs together during a hard time). I also think some prison time should be involved. People like this don't have good lives and I think just going to prison isn't going to teach them anything, it will just make them angrier people. I wish more judges would be creative with punishment and use community service that relates to the crime as a sentence.

My first response is to think that the children (they WERE children, right? I can't bear to re-read the article) who committed this heinous crime should be subjected to the sternest possible punitive measurements - that they should learn to recognize the consequences of their actions.

But... let's face it. This is so far out of the boundary of normal behavior of children that we need to consider the possibility that the individuals in question are sociopaths. A lack of empathy is one of the hallmarks of sociopathy. If you check out this website, you'll read that "Early cruelty to animals is usually a sign of serious emotional or behavioral problems". Sociopaths have trouble feeling the remorse that normal humans feel. They'll try to shirk responsibility, or talk their way out of situations.

Rather than seeing them "returned" to normal human society, perhaps after doing penance at an animal shelter (to them a slap on the wrist), I'd rather see them in an institutional setting where they are getting the assistance they need. And where they are less of a risk to themselves or to society.

[Disclaimer: not a psychiatrist, just someone who has lived long enough and lived in enough cities suffering from serial killing sprees where the perpetrator turns out to have done something like tortured animals as a child as an early warning sign not taken sufficiently seriously...]

This reminds me of a dialogue that Ivan Karamazov had with his brother Alyosha regarding the problem of evil (in my all time favorite novel). It sort of illustrates the conundrum between the repudiation of evil and the typical response to it.

I agree. I would rather see the perpetrator humanely euthanized... (irony intended)

I don't know if the kids who did this were mentally ill, victims of abuse themselves or just plain vicious. But I do know what would happen to any dog that did this amount of damage to any human for whatever reason. And that's good enough for those people who did that to that dog.

I wouldn't want to see them turned loose with animals in a shelter. There are plenty of ways to torture an animal that don't leave visible marks.

My first response is to think that the children (they WERE children, right? I can't bear to re-read the article) who committed this heinous crime should be subjected to the sternest possible punitive measurements - that they should learn to recognize the consequences of their actions.

I believe that both suspects that have been taken into custody are over 18. At least one is 21.

Yeah, neither of these guys is a kid. But... whatever... they were kids once. Adults like this don't spring out of nowhere. Their history made them. Or, their genes made them. Or, they were drinking that caffeinated beverage (they call it "Buckfast" apparently?) that has allegedly been linked to extreme violence in young men.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/torched-pet-codie-improving-and-may-get-home-for-a-few-hours-at-weekend-16207135.html

Looks like the dog is doing better. I'm amazed at the difference in her nose and eyes after just a week!

Mary

It is good to hear she is doing better. I haven't been able to look. If there is a hell, there has to be a special kind for those who inflict this sort of senseless suffering. But there I go again, gazing into the abyss.