BC Boards

hair on the floor

I pretend it's a beautiful imported rug! ;)

Other than the reg. daily sweeping or multi sweepings, I go along and pick it up with my hand. It always seems to collect in certain places.

Whatever you do, don't look under the bed....You'll find a hairy monster under there!

I bought a Riccar canister vacuum when I changed from carpet to hardwood. It's a nice little vacuum. However, I'm in complete agreement with PSmitty and choose to ignore pet hair. I consider myself an expert at it. :lol: I just leave it for the cleaning lady, who comes every Thursday.

Quite frankly, if a house doesn't have some pet hair, it's not a home. ;)

ProdMoonlight.jpg

However, I'm in complete agreement with PSmitty and choose to ignore pet hair. I consider myself an expert at it. :lol:

Yes, I am in agreement with both of these points. ^^^^ :D :D

Jovi

I'm not looking for a pristine house but at least something that works better then a broom which usually tosses the hair everywhere except for where I want it to go :blink: . I have to sweep constantly because I don't want my roommate to get upset with me over my animals. He says I have an animal kingdom to begin with (dog, cat and 2 gerbils) but you would never know it coming into the house except for the occasional ball of fur that appear, lol.

Whatever you do, don't look under the bed....You'll find a hairy monster under there!

..or behind the stereo cabinet. YIPES! Chewbacca slept here!

I use a fluffy dust mop, but mostly I just ignore it until the motes of hair become a danger to life, limb or social status.

A home without dog hair is just a house.

I bought a Riccar canister vacuum when I changed from carpet to hardwood. It's a nice little vacuum. However, I'm in complete agreement with PSmitty and choose to ignore pet hair. I consider myself an expert at it. :lol: I just leave it for the cleaning lady, who comes every Thursday.

I concur with the this, although the cleaning lady is me once a week with the Dyson. It is a mystery how I can fill the canister with dust and dog hair, floor looks clean: but within seconds it is back. I have to admit that now I have 2 border collies rather than 1 border collie and GSDx that fur factor is much better, as much as I loved that dog her coat was a nightmare.

I have found that swifer pads are very effective for picking up dog hair, I also have one of those seen on TV rubber brooms which is remarkable at collecting dog hair, I was cynical when my husband bought it but it really works well, much better than a regular broom. I am also sure we did not pay $30 for it.

Perhaps one of those old fashioned dust mops (like you'd see janitors using) sprayed with something that will collect hair? I have 10 dogs and 3 cats in the house, so I've pretty much gotten to the ignore it stage too, though I do regularly pick up the clumps that gather in spots and sweep regularly. I have one of the aforementioned dust mops but couldn't tell you how it works since I haven't ever used it. :lol:

J.

Back when I had hardwood floors I vacuumed, and then alternately picked up any obvious dust bunnies as I saw them.

He says I have an animal kingdom to begin with (dog, cat and 2 gerbils)

Hah. Hahahaha. According to my math, the one cat and two gerbils barely make up one dog alltogether. So all things considered you really only have the equivalent of 1-3/4 dogs. That does not an animal kingdom make. That actually puts you firmly in the small numbers camp IMO. :lol:

I have a Border Collie and a cat. The cat is a shorthair. He sheds as much as my Border Collie, and she sheds a lot!

I have Home Depot parquet and oriental rugs. I vacuum thoroughly every 10 days, sweep every three or four days and roll the hair off the orientals with my sneaker on the days that I sweep. The rest of the time I just pick up the "rollers." (cigar-shaped fuzzballs that collect under things and roll around in the floor drafts.)

One thing that pet-owners often neglect is to suck the hair and dust out of the computer. I do it every other month. Pull off the side panel on the CPU and behold the fur city. How does it get in there? :o

Doing this will extend the life of the computer appreciably. The hair and dust causes heat build-up and fan burn-out. I use the crevice tool on the vacuum and a feather-duster. Don't touch the circuit-boards. That would be bad...

Luckily, all our pets have been short-haired. I think the kids shed more than they did. But a meal without some hair definitely lacks protein.

I told DH at the beginning that I'd signed on as a sex goddess, not a house keeper. He agreed. And, now that we're retired, he does the weekly cleaning. No better than I taught him. Thank goodness.

Don't even ask about my tile floors. I explain that I've never convinced a dog to wipe its feet. So why bother with other household members. I damp mop from the sink if I wash any dishes and don't end up with too much tomato sauce or grease. Not all that often.

Someone on the Jack Paar show (guess how old I am) said he was making a suit out of lint so it would attract blue serge. I think pet hair would work.

I concur with the this, although the cleaning lady is me once a week with the Dyson. It is a mystery how I can fill the canister with dust and dog hair, floor looks clean: but within seconds it is back. I have to admit that now I have 2 border collies rather than 1 border collie and GSDx that fur factor is much better, as much as I loved that dog her coat was a nightmare.

I have found that swifer pads are very effective for picking up dog hair, I also have one of those seen on TV rubber brooms which is remarkable at collecting dog hair, I was cynical when my husband bought it but it really works well, much better than a regular broom. I am also sure we did not pay $30 for it.

There is a rubber dog brush that works well too. I tend to look at the originator of the problem (the dogs) a good brushing out saves a great deal of cleaning. Also finding the right food helped a great deal with the quality of their coat (less shedding). I use a furminator every now and then on our cat when she really starts putting on a shed.

I'm not the world's best housekeeper by a long shot but there's actually very little visible dog hair...at least until one puts on black slacks! Odd how mostly black and white and red and white dogs tend to shed only the white hairs....it must be the cat's fault. :)

I've found for hard floors, the swiffer works best. I think Mr. Clean also makes a larger version of the swiffer with a washable mom head. Haven't tried it yet but it looks promising.

I have one of those, too, and it is excellent for dog fur.

We didn't pay full price for it, but I don't remember how much it was.

.... I've never convinced a dog to wipe its feet.../quote]

Years ago, I trained my terrier mix to spin on the rug on the back porch to wipe his feet. I should do this with the boys (Ladybug would never consent.) But, yes the biggest sinner in my house is DH.

I use a swiffer type mop head with one of those orange shop towels. Picks up everything a swiffer pad does and I re-use them endlessly. They get tossed in the wash with the dog bedding.

I also wet them, wring them out and use them to damp mop. Works great and I've always got a clean mop.

Dog hair - meh. Buzz was the worst at shedding. His coat wasn't all that dense or heavy, but he produced TONS of silky, shiny fur. All the time.

Ruth

Love that idea!

Back in the mid-70s, a friend got two dogs - a Lhasa Apso and a Shiite Sui (gee - hope I spelled those correctly). She said she'd never have to clean under furniture again.

My solution has been to not look under furniture.

Archived