BC Boards

supplements

daisyandme

Since I have been researching a lot about raw vs. kibble, I have come across many sources that suggest adding supplements to the dogs diet. For some reason, I just assumed Daisy was too young and it was just not needed, but now I am wondering......

What would be good to add to a 9 month old's diet and what are good brands? I have come across a lot of recommendations for using a joint supplement, vitamin e, vitamin c and fish oil but nothing says at what age or how much.

Since I have been researching a lot about raw vs. kibble, I have come across many sources that suggest adding supplements to the dogs diet. For some reason, I just assumed Daisy was too young and it was just not needed, but now I am wondering......

What would be good to add to a 9 month old's diet and what are good brands? I have come across a lot of recommendations for using a joint supplement, vitamin e, vitamin c and fish oil but nothing says at what age or how much.

I flip Cerb a fish oil tablet every morning when I take mine. He wolfs it right down. Lots of (human) research out there on increased cognitive development in children....and it makes my coat shiny.

I try to feed fish as often as I can, but if fish is short, I do add a fish oil capsule. I don't use anything else, although I read some info on flax seed oil helping with excercise recovery or some such thing. Needs more reading though...

per a seminar at APDT by Dr Doug Knuevan, a holistic vet all dogs need the following:

glucosamine (I disagree here, and would not give it unless needed)

fish oil/omega 3 fatty acids

digestive enzymes

probiotics

a balanced multi-vitamin (the theory being that unless you dog eats the "recommended" amount of a food, he will not be getting the recommended vit. and minerals based on that serving size. And most should eat much less that bag recommends)

This article covers what he went over in the seminar.

Imo and ime I would not give other supplements without specific medical need - discussed with a holistic minded vet.

Hey Lenajo,

Do you give both digestive enzymes and a probiotic on a daily basis?

I give digestive enzymes, but only give a probiotic if one of the dogs is having particular digestive issues, or (as recommended by Dean's vet) in times of high stress.

I'm wondering if I should consider giving the probiotics, in addition to the digestive enzymes, on a more regular basis.

I give Daisy salmon oil every day, but that is it.

Riley does not get the salmon oil yet because I'm still trying to figure out what is making him ridiculously gassy. Riley is however, on a daily glucosamine supplement and another one called Ligaplex II to help the tissues in his leg. He was found with a mangled foot in November and is slightly arthritic at 1.5yrs, so I am going to do what I can to keep it from getting worse.

ETA: Just noticed you were wondering how much to supplement... Most products will come with the amount on them. The salmon oil I use says 1 tsp per 50lbs of dog.

per a seminar at APDT by Dr Doug Knuevan, a holistic vet all dogs need the following:

glucosamine (I disagree here, and would not give it unless needed)

fish oil/omega 3 fatty acids

digestive enzymes

probiotics

a balanced multi-vitamin (the theory being that unless you dog eats the "recommended" amount of a food, he will not be getting the recommended vit. and minerals based on that serving size. And most should eat much less that bag recommends)

This article covers what he went over in the seminar.

Imo and ime I would not give other supplements without specific medical need - discussed with a holistic minded vet.

Thanks Lenajo, Can I ask why you disagree with the glucosamine part?

I supplement my dogs with Omega 3 rich fish oil capsules and 400IU Vit. E

I think Omega 3 dosing is by weight. My 45ish lb dogs get 2 capsules a day (720mg Omega 3 total) and my 60lb Sibe gets 4 (1440 mg Omega 3 total) because he's immunodeficient. It's cheaper and more beneficial than the salmon oil because it contains more oily fish (mackrel, sardine... ect.) which contain more Omega 3 which is what dogs need.

They each get 1 400IU Vitamin E capsule daily. All are human grade, why pay more for dog stuff when it's the same (if not worse) than the human kind? I can't understand it.

I also used to supplement with Solid Golds "Seameal" but i didn't see much more of a difference than i was already getting with Raw. So i stopped wasting my money. Does anyone else use Seameal?

I've been using Solid Gold Seameal at feeding times for awhile..everyone always comments on how shiny and soft my dogs coats are, but they are all on a fish based diet with added fish oil, vit E, and probiotics. So to say one is making a difference over another, or all together is what makes their coats nice is hard to say. I'm almost thinking about fading out the Seameal once the canister is empty.

But you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... :rolleyes::D

I give my guys fish oil daily and Vit E capsule alternate days. Rhys bach, who has a gammy hind leg (old injury, from what I was told) gets a glucosamine (with Vit. C & minerals) tablet daily. I stopped the glucasamine a while back (the bottle ran out) and I did notice a change in his willingness to run, so I started it again. I once gave digestive enzymes, but stopped -- it didn't seem to have any effect. I've never used probiotics -- but they get a dollop of plain yoghurt as a side, now and again.

For the glucosamine if you give human grade, how much to do you give them? Zoey is about 40lbs and want to start her on it.

I think the fish oil is a great idea and have been doing so for a while now.

Tim

Archived