BC Boards

Board Mojo Needed

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, everyone. I wish I could say she was "my dog," and that I had given her a wonderful life. I gave her what I could.

She was raised and trained by Loren Holmes. He trialled her, and did really well with her for many years. He bred her to a Stetson dog named Russell a number of times, and that cross produced his wonderful Puzzel dog, and my Riddle, among many others. She produced a great number of really stellar cowdogs. When he retired her, probably about 3 years ago, he felt bad that she wasn't working anymore, as he had so many younger dogs to do the work, and she was just hanging out in her kennel, so, through me, he let her go to a ranch down near me. These folks are associated with the Orange County Rescue Mission, and it's a ranch where folks in recovery can go to get their lives back together. They have a horse program at the ranch, and lots of at-risk youth have a chance to come out for a day or two to learn a bit about horses and such. The residents also have a goat project--raising and selling Boer goats. They needed a dog to do their work, and so Lucky went there to be their dog, and I helped them to learn to work with her to get their jobs done. She was very happy there, as she had real work to do every day. Those goats can be tough, but she was always tougher. Last summer, she started showing her age a bit and slowing down, but in the meantime, I had gotten them two younger dogs and they were working to get them up to speed on the goats. So when they told me last summer that she might be nearing her second retirement, I suggested that when that time came, rather than just have her hanging out there in the kennel, that she could come live out the rest of her days sleeping on my couch watching lots of TCM. She came here to live with me 2 days before Christmas.

So she wasn't here long, but she certainly adapted to life on the couch (and raw food) quickly. :rolleyes: She was indeed a grand old lady, and I have always had the utmost respect for her. I wish she could have had more time living the soft life (and going out to do the occasional really tough job, as she still loved to work, of course), as she had worked hard all her life.

That'll do, Lucky,

A

Thanks, everyone. I wish I could say she was "my dog," and that I had given her a wonderful life. I gave her what I could...I wish she could have had more time living the soft life (and going out to do the occasional really tough job, as she still loved to work, of course), as she had worked hard all her life.

That'll do, Lucky,

A

Anna - You know that while she enjoyed the soft life, she lived for the work. I think you did wonderfully for her, and for all those young folks who needed her fine example in helping them to turn their lives around. No apologies, you hear?

So very very sorry for your loss, she was a beautiful gal, and sounds like you gave her a wonderful retirement (crying here now ;-( ) It's very scary to think how insidious those foxtails can be, and you have no idea they're in there cooking up a nasty infection, until its too late. RIP lucky gal.

Betty

Thanks, everyone. I wish I could say she was "my dog," and that I had given her a wonderful life. I gave her what I could.

She was raised and trained by Loren Holmes. He trialled her, and did really well with her for many years. He bred her to a Stetson dog named Russell a number of times, and that cross produced his wonderful Puzzel dog, and my Riddle, among many others. She produced a great number of really stellar cowdogs. When he retired her, probably about 3 years ago, he felt bad that she wasn't working anymore, as he had so many younger dogs to do the work, and she was just hanging out in her kennel, so, through me, he let her go to a ranch down near me. These folks are associated with the Orange County Rescue Mission, and it's a ranch where folks in recovery can go to get their lives back together. They have a horse program at the ranch, and lots of at-risk youth have a chance to come out for a day or two to learn a bit about horses and such. The residents also have a goat project--raising and selling Boer goats. They needed a dog to do their work, and so Lucky went there to be their dog, and I helped them to learn to work with her to get their jobs done. She was very happy there, as she had real work to do every day. Those goats can be tough, but she was always tougher. Last summer, she started showing her age a bit and slowing down, but in the meantime, I had gotten them two younger dogs and they were working to get them up to speed on the goats. So when they told me last summer that she might be nearing her second retirement, I suggested that when that time came, rather than just have her hanging out there in the kennel, that she could come live out the rest of her days sleeping on my couch watching lots of TCM. She came here to live with me 2 days before Christmas.

So she wasn't here long, but she certainly adapted to life on the couch (and raw food) quickly. :rolleyes: She was indeed a grand old lady, and I have always had the utmost respect for her. I wish she could have had more time living the soft life (and going out to do the occasional really tough job, as she still loved to work, of course), as she had worked hard all her life.

That'll do, Lucky,

A

Anna,

That was a class act to take Lucky in her last period of life. She was your dog as much as anyone else's I suspect and the hurt is just as bad as it would be if she had lived with you all her years.

Carolyn