BC Boards

Hello, my records call me Buster, but I don't know why. I may not have a name. I don't have a home anymore either. I lived in the backyard of a person until he took me to the pound. I was so scared there that they put me on the e-List, whatever that is. Then some people came and took me away again.

p1000701.jpg

They put all water and funny smelling stuff on me. what's shampoo? Anyway, I don't smell like a dog anymore.

p1000707.jpg

It seems that I'll be here a while; perhaps they can help me find myself a real home with nice people who I can learn to trust? Do such people exist?

[My new friend, who I think I'll be calling Rhys, emerged far enough out of the ocean of sadness he was in yesterday, to wag his tail and enjoy a good scratch this morning. He appears to have some issue with on of his hind legs, but is gentle and is trying hard to be friendly. Thanks are due to Carrie (sweet_ceana) and Chris for getting him out and bringing him to his new temporary home.]

What does Senneca think of her foster-brother?

Not much! She has thrown several bratty fits. We three went for a nice morning walk and all was peace, but back in the house, our little girl wants to make sure that Rhys knows who is #1 bitch. We are practicing strict separation for now.

I think his new name fits him too.

Wikipedia says this:

Rhys is a surname or (usually male) given name of Welsh origin, and meaning "ardour", "fervor", "passion" or "zeal".

It's a nice homely sounding name (hey, I was born and grew up in Wales). It's short and easy to pronounce (for me, at least).

I just love his name! Poor guy was so sad yesterday. Being an outside "stud," dog is no way to spend your life.

From what I have seen so far, Rhys could most definitely get accustomed to a life with regular walks and interaction with people. When I came downstairs this morning, he looked up at us and I could see that he was a different dog to the one who entered the house the afternoon before. There was hope, where previously I saw only despair.

Ceana, Poke & Tripp love their "John cookies," by the way. :rolleyes:

Good, though I don't think they are correctly classified as "cookies". They are made with a modified sour rye bread recipe. They have been thoroughly taste tested by Senneca and her friends at the dog park.

What a gorgeous dog, and so lucky. I just love that face.

I just love that face.

Yes, he has a sweet face. He is gradually coming out of his shell and dropping his defences. This evening we sat all three on the floor and relaxed. There was peace; it was an edgy peace, but I was able to keep Senneca's snarkiness under control. He's still unsure of himeself, but there is already a world of difference from when he arrived.

I'm sure he'll be a different dog in no time with you guys.

He's a complex character, alright. This morning, we was a happy dog; tail wagging and enjoying himself on our morning walk. Rhys likes going for walks. He might not have been spoilt for regular walks in his earlier life. But as soon ans we got home, the two eagerly entered the house and suddenly Rhys stopped and wanted to go out again. His tail was suddenly between his legs and wouldn't go in his crate, Odd. He's not scared of me; he actually allowed me to hold and comfort him. I took him out the back yard and he went straight to the gate; smart guy knows that's the way out. OK, so I finally coaxed him back in and into his crate abd after a minute of restlessness, he stretched out and went to sleep. Funny guy. We're making progress, though, even with occasional episodes of fear, he's now much happier than when he came. Also we have peace between the two. It's a mediated peace -- I need a blue uniform -- but that's better than the initial brattiness from Senneca.

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job with Rhys and with helping Senneca accept the situation. Thanks to you and sweet ceana for helping this guy!

From what I can see Rhys has found a place in Johns heart.

It's no secret that I am a sucker for border collies -- but I imagine I'm not the only one here. Inside that scared bundle of fur is a good and gentle soul. He'll be a wonderful companion for someone; he just needs that little bit of help to get over the turmoil and upset.