BC Boards

Diving Dog

I've been helping Meg grow accostomed to water since she was mine to train. From 5" deep creek bed to full on water hose discharge she's progressed nicely from cautious trust to GIVE IT TO ME LADY I HAVE TO HAVE THE HOSE TREATMENT. She eats and attacks the water and hose nozzle.

Yesterday I taught her to jump into a kiddiepool about 12" deep. She whined and circled because she thought my feet had drowned (it seemed.) The she came in one foot, then two, front half then all fours.

DH called me at work today to tell me that Meg has a new job. Apparently she thinks diving for a rubber bucky ball is a necessary and incidentally enjoyable task. Especially since she figured out finally how to stop from blowing bubbles while under!

After doing a little reading I discovered that some dogs are used for fishing! Any of you have divers?

The little pit bull in my avatar (like many of her breed) loves total immersion: you can see that she has mud past her eyeballs in the photo :D and she'll dive completely under water whenever her wading pool is full enough. Towels R us! :rolleyes:

Here is a YouTube video of a yellow lab(?) retrieving a dumbbell... from the bottom of the deep end.

100_0380.jpg

When it comes to a ball, Pache will do just about ANYTHING!!! :rolleyes: I held his ball underwater to see what he would do and this was my answer.

Now the hose or sprinkler is a different story...if it squirts, he doesn't want any part of it.

Aww..that reminds me of my Levi (rainbow bridge in '05). He loved to go under for a ball or anything for that matter. When we'd go to the lake, he'd be out in the middle just swimming around and dunking under every now and then. But he too didn't like squirting objects, and you'd think you were killing him if you gave him a bath.

Very cute! I have one of "those." When she was about 6 months old she started sticking her nose into her water dish and blowing bubbles, so I should have known that she would one day graduate to getting her whole head wet...and beyond...

BarraMay05e.jpg

I've seen her submerge her entire self a couple of times- no incriminating photos yet because I was so surprised that I completely forgot about the camera in my hand... :rolleyes:

Oh Lord, my two live in the pool, will stick their heads under the water :rolleyes: It was kind of funny, last year when Liz was a pup, she wasn't a very strong swimmer, and Mike would play lifeguard, he actually pulled her out of the water a couple of times, too funny. Anyway, this is why I can't water the lawn when these 2 monkeys are around.

P8181648.jpg

P8181603.jpg

All 3 of my dogs swim like fishes and I have a diving, hose dog too - Ms Jillie!

The hose game she learned herself (and taught to Annie) but Oscar, my springer, taught her how to "dunk for rocks". Not necessarily good for one's teeth but quite a summertime refresher!

I want a water dog!!! Allie runs and tries to cross to the other side of the street when we are out and somebody is watering. :rolleyes:

She's still young, so I guess there's hope -- I'm getting out the kiddie pool this afternoon after work.

I found and scanned some photos! These are OLD photos, from I'd say over 5 years ago, and they're pretty blurry because they were taken with a 35mm point and shoot camera. She would always jump up on the trampoline with us in summer when we'd set the sprinklers on it. Yes, we had a trampoline-jumping dog.

hose2.jpg

hose1.jpg

This year when we first turned the irrigation on, 9 month old Hoku (not a split face, but acts like one with sprinklers!)just went NUTS when the sprinklers popped up and started going. He drops down... gives one 'the eye', and then springs into action as he tries to herd the water drops.... some where... I guess back into the sprinkler! He runs up to the sprinkler biting the water, then he chases the water stream back, and drops back down and gives it that 'eye' again. Pretty darn funny! I'll have to try and get some pics.

Love the video of the diving dog... amazing!

Kristin and Hoku the Happy

Guest amylobdell24

Ceana loves the water, too! The first time she dove for something she nearly scared me to death. She just disappears....then pops up a few seconds later with a rock or stick or something in her mouth - totally gone under the water. I'm used to it now, but it really used to freak me out. And how do they know there's a rock under there?