BC Boards

Need a name

Hmm, how about Airo/Aero?

I love native American names, so here are a few of those too . . .

BLY: tall

CHITSA: fair

KASA: Hopi name meaning dressed in furs."

NINA: strong

WEEKO: Sioux name meaning "pretty."

YOKI: Hopi name meaning "rain."

HURIT: Native American Algonquin name meaning "beautiful"

KACHINA: Native American Hopi name meaning "sacred dancer; spirit."

MANSI: Native American Hopi name meaning "plucked flower."

NADIE: Native American Algonquin name meaning "wise."

I'm probably the only one that likes odd names like that, lol, but there you go. My dogs are called Lootah (red) and Sakari (sweet), and I also have a horse called Tehya (precious) and one called Satinka (magical dancer)

I try to pick them from meaning first and then see if I like the name.

Hmm, how about Airo/Aero?

I love native American names, so here are a few of those too . . .

BLY: tall

CHITSA: fair

KASA: Hopi name meaning dressed in furs."

NINA: strong

WEEKO: Sioux name meaning "pretty."

YOKI: Hopi name meaning "rain."

HURIT: Native American Algonquin name meaning "beautiful"

KACHINA: Native American Hopi name meaning "sacred dancer; spirit."

MANSI: Native American Hopi name meaning "plucked flower."

NADIE: Native American Algonquin name meaning "wise."

I'm probably the only one that likes odd names like that, lol, but there you go. My dogs are called Lootah (red) and Sakari (sweet), and I also have a horse called Tehya (precious) and one called Satinka (magical dancer)

I try to pick them from meaning first and then see if I like the name.

I love those names. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I might not have chosen "Scooter" had we not rushed into naming him. Seems a little too "cutesy" now. :rolleyes: But, DH wanted to name him "Steeler"--he's a die hard Pittsburgh fan! :D

I also prefer Sky with no E. In general I am not crazy about unconventional spellings. That said, Jett's name is spelled with two Ts because she is named after Joan Jett, not after an airplane.

Fly votes for "Fly." For being one of the most popular names in the ISDS studbook, there is a dearth of Flys on this board.

I also prefer Sky with no E. In general I am not crazy about unconventional spellings.

But, I think we are leaning towards Skye right now.

:rolleyes:

Skye-dog votes for 'Skye'. After the Isle of.

post-8421-1232136163_thumb.jpg

post-8421-1232136121_thumb.jpg

Check out this article from the NY times; esp the last couple of paragraphs.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...;pagewanted=all

Ailsa

Oh, I missed this suggestion. I love it! One of my favorite dogs on another board is named Skye.

Oh, that makes her even MORE tempting! :D

You should take her then! :rolleyes: hahaha

Or Mary, maybe you should just keep her since Scout would be a cute name for her, and well she is a girl after all. There needs to be one in your pack to keep all those boys in line :D

I always like to go with Scottish names short and simple but that has not worked with my current group. I have Mac or MacTavish and then there is Pete and Dave. Pete was already named when we got him although it does have a gaelic meaning. Dave was trouble, we had no idea. Dave was 16 weeks old before he got a name. We finally named after an old friend who I love very much who is an animal keeper at the Calgary Zoo, Dave. In spite of the fact he looks like an ant eater with a very long nose and tail we went with Dave. I love the name Jet and it has fare more meaning than just and airplane.

I love those names. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I might not have chosen "Scooter" had we not rushed into naming him. Seems a little too "cutesy" now. :rolleyes: But, DH wanted to name him "Steeler"--he's a die hard Pittsburgh fan! :D

lol, I do get some funny looks when I tell people my dogs names sometimes, and almost always have to repeat them for people, but I like having a meaning behind the name too.

Although I do think some dogs suite the more traditional names, there's a dog in my obedience class called Henry, and you can see it in his face, he totally looks like a henry, lol.

Sorry I made you use Scout already. But Scout, was, well, Scouty. She _could_ be a Scout, but only if she stayed yours. I like several of the suggestions, and I have to admit that I am horrible with names.

(Hence the litter of 7 fosters we just had: Eta, Zeta, Iota, Epsilon, Rho, Tau, and Pi. And the current litter, presently called "carmel, mocha/dark one, white face/little girl and white chest. White Chest might become Latte, and White Face might become Chino (As in Cappu-)... but I am bad at choosing.)

A dog I helped rescue years ago was renamed Zest by her new owners. Oddly enough, I had pushed to get her accepted into rescue after I did her evaluation because when I met her she had a real zest for life. There was just something about her. Her new owner didn't know that when she named her, so 2 people independently had the same thought. That dog looks like a Zest to me, full of life and enjoying every moment.