BC Boards

deodorant for dogs

Is there such thing as a Febreze for dogs? Something you can spray that magically kills odors?

As those of you who have met him can attest, Solo is a heavily coated dog. I regularly use a stripping tool to remove excess undercoat, but there's still a lot left and I am loathe to remove more since I think he is handsome in his coat.

I have a very specific problem. We now live in Oregon. In the Pacific Northwest, it rains all winter, almost every day. That means Solo never really dries, and that his hind end in particular takes on a unique odor. Suffice it to say that at this time of year, Solo's nickname becomes "Cheesebutt."

Bathing him does not help because the problem is back within a few days. He has a luxuriant tail and butt breeches that I like to refer to as his "Lassie Ass." Since he is a Border Collie, he usually holds his tail low between his hocks. I think that this causes the area under his tail and between his hind legs to remain damper than the rest of him, which is the source of the cheesiness. He isn't moldy and everything is healthy back there -- he's just kind of musty.

Because I love him, I find his old cheese scent sort of endearing, and obviously it doesn't bother him, but I have to admit that it's not the best of smells and my husband thinks it's kinda gross.

Any advice on what I might spray back there, other than actual Febreze or Lysol, to ameliorate the cheese would be appreciated.

I don't know, but I can totally sympathize with you. My Milo has this same problem. His fur is so thick that he doesn't dry well and becomes quite pungent. Since all my dogs do a lot of swimming (well, not Skittles), he is often wet. We don't have any cute names like Cheese Butt, though. We just tell him that he smells like ass, though it really is more of a cheesy, moldy smell.

Sorry, I was not of any help. But, if you do find a solution to this problem, I'd love to hear about it.

I would question if very diluted bleach could be sprayed through the hair or combed in....

Whats the realities of keeping a dog blow dryer by the door to dry him off a few times a day?

yet again :rolleyes: Solo is lucky to have you. I would probably clip his belly, groin and tail underside off.

Hmmm. Petsmart has "dog bath wipes," that may work well. They smell fresh and the are not very moist. I used them on a foster after her spay. If that doesn't work, what about a dryer sheet? That might help freshen things up in cheese land.

I was thinking hair dryer as well, but would Solo be alright with that much noise?

I use Lambert Kay Fresh 'n Clean Cologne. I've used it for years and love it. Lacee hates me spraying her, but once it's done, she bounces around, happy. Everyone who meets her always comments on how good she smells. :rolleyes: You can get it at PetSmart or Petfooddirect.

How about using a thinning shears after you have combed the coat out. It will be less full but you can keep the length, and the shortened hair near his skin should keep some of the poofiness. I'd worry about hot spots and fungal infections from his coat not drying, might be the odor your getting. Luckily my one long coated border collie does not have a heavy coat, I trim her more so that she does not drag mud into the house, everything else around here is smooth coats.

Deb

oh yes it does. You may not be cutting enough off. I have had 2 incontinent dogs and the clipping was both smell and health essential.

Well, maybe in the case of my dogs, the problem could have been from right out their a$$. Don't know, but maybe that's why poop chutes didn't appear to work in their case, but I did like their britches trimmed, regardless.

Thanks for the ideas. (That thanks comes from my husband as well.)

I'd prefer not to trim because I've tried that in the past, and I am incapable of not making Solo look completely stupid. I have thinning shears, but they didn't work so well either. Solo ended up with two lavender pom-poms on his butt instead of breeches (he is red and his undercoat is a sort of rose grey color) and if I did his belly too he'd just look bizarre. He is so thickly coated, and curly to boot (he is getting curlier and curlier as he ages), that I'd really have to shave him all over if I started trimming anywhere, otherwise he'd look like a topiary. I lack the skills to do this, and I'm not going to inflict him on a professional groomer, as that would be miserable for all parties involved.

Since one of the few things Solo has going for him, in the mind of outside observers (who don't really get to see his true personality), is his handsomeness, I would prefer not to make him look silly. Yes, I am vain about Solo's looks too. It would be kind of like those movies where Russell Crowe gets all fat and bald for the part. I still love Russell Crowe, but I'd much rather see him as he looks in Gladiator, wouldn't you? (Solo looks more like Ewan McGregor, but if I were to pick an actor to play him in a movie, it would definitely be Russell Crowe. Anyway, I digress.)

I use an 8-blade stripper (it's an Oster knockoff of the Mars Coat King) to thin things out back there. It isn't a poop chute problem -- it's not his butthole that's the issue (do not ask how I know this). Honestly, it's probably low level mold. The vinegar and water idea sounds like it might help (does Massengill make dog deodorant? ha, ha) and the blow dryer idea could work too. Solo isn't crazy about blow dryers, but he'll let me do it and he'll get used to it. I'm also going to check out that Lambert Kay cologne and dry shampoos. I have a dog cologne spray that I bought last year to combat this problem, but it doesn't have any deodorant properties. It just makes Solo smell like a pine tree growing in a mound of old cheese.

I went to town on Solo's butt today with the stripper, shampooed him back there, sprayed him liberally with Glo Coat (PetEdge knockoff of Show Sheen) and blew him dry. I hope this helps us get a fresh start.

I would spray Plain old Listerine back there, and would probably give him some chlorophyll capsules for a few days (I know, thats my remedy for everything stinky ;-) but it really works. Mike used to have really stinky butt hairs, from being in the pool all the time, I know what you mean ;-( blech... anyway, thats what I did for him, and no mas stinky pero ;-)

Melanie you descriptions of poor Solo as a lavender topiary smelling of pine scented old cheese will have me smiling for days. Poor guy indeed!

I think you will find the blow drying will help a lot. It doesn't have to be hot, just direct air while you back comb the hair with a hard comb starting at the bottom, progressing up in inch long segments. Its the undercoat that holds the smell.

I like the idea of rinsing the area with Massengil - joking aside, it may just work!

Ive used the Massingil in the shop,and it works well, but has a tendancy to change coat color on lighter colored coats because you dont rinse it out,you use it as a leave on) (the vinegar and water) also mouth wash, 50/50 with water. It is also an anti fungal and anti bacterial. I use that a lot too, and....it leaves them minty fresh! :rolleyes:

If you have a cheesy odor and it rains a lot - He may have a fungal skin infection. Fungus likes moist warm places. My friend has a westie and was bathing her almost weekly until they complained to the vet about her funny odor. They treated her with some shampoo and the odor went away.

Mel, Amber, and the Baxter

Bonnie playing in the tunnels at Rainbow Bridge.

Is there such thing as a Febreze for dogs? Something you can spray that magically kills odors?

As those of you who have met him can attest, Solo is a heavily coated dog. I regularly use a stripping tool to remove excess undercoat, but there's still a lot left and I am loathe to remove more since I think he is handsome in his coat.

I have a very specific problem. We now live in Oregon. In the Pacific Northwest, it rains all winter, almost every day. That means Solo never really dries, and that his hind end in particular takes on a unique odor. Suffice it to say that at this time of year, Solo's nickname becomes "Cheesebutt."

Bathing him does not help because the problem is back within a few days. He has a luxuriant tail and butt breeches that I like to refer to as his "Lassie Ass." Since he is a Border Collie, he usually holds his tail low between his hocks. I think that this causes the area under his tail and between his hind legs to remain damper than the rest of him, which is the source of the cheesiness. He isn't moldy and everything is healthy back there -- he's just kind of musty.

Because I love him, I find his old cheese scent sort of endearing, and obviously it doesn't bother him, but I have to admit that it's not the best of smells and my husband thinks it's kinda gross.

Any advice on what I might spray back there, other than actual Febreze or Lysol, to ameliorate the cheese would be appreciated.