BC Boards

deodorant for dogs

Well my quick fix is from living on the farm and around livestock all the time, nothing like carrying a bottle of cologne in the truck and just give them a quick squirt after they work it does wonders.

Steve

What about the remedy of Dawn dish detergent and hydrogen peroxide they use for de-skunking? If it works on skunk, it should work on wet, cheesy dog smell...

Maybe dusting some baking soda into his coat, let set for a few minutes and then brush out? it would dry and deodorize at the same time I would think.

What about the remedy of Dawn dish detergent and hydrogen peroxide they use for de-skunking? If it works on skunk, it should work on wet, cheesy dog smell...

Yes, but it is VERY drying. You couldn't do that more than once every few months.

There are oatmeal spray on conditioners, but they mostly work to cover the smell.

Well, I went to Petsmart and they didn't have the Lambert Kay original scent stuff, just "floral" and "baby powder," neither of which I think go well with "stinky cheesebutt."

Interestingly however, while standing in the aisle wondering what to do next, I ended up in a conversation with a guy who has the same problem (or rather, his dog does) and he recommended an organic spray-on they had which happened to have a $2 coupon attached to it. It is called "Blue Botanicals" and is made by the same company that does Blue Buffalo dog food. I figured for $6 it was worth a shot. It's rosemary and lavender scented, which is a combo that seems acceptable. I'll let you know if it works.

I like the Listerine idea, that makes perfect sense. Next time we go to the grocery store instead of Costco, and it is possible to buy less than 2 gallons of Listerine at once, I will pick some up. We mostly shop at Costco these days since my husband loves Costco and I don't really care where we shop.

I forgot that I have a bottle of Cowboy Magic Green Spot Remover for horses that I used to use to spot clean the dogs when I did not have access to a garden hose. I suppose that might help too.

Thanks all!

Well, I went to Petsmart and they didn't have the Lambert Kay original scent stuff, just "floral" and "baby powder," neither of which I think go well with "stinky cheesebutt."

I just looked and it's the floral scent that I use. The name fools you, it really doesn't smell like flowers. I smells great, believe me!

Just wanted to update that the Blue Botanicals (rosemary/lavender) stuff I picked up at Petsmart seems to be doing quite nicely. The scent is very pleasant and very long lasting. Solo hasn't been swimming (or rather, wading as he doesn't really swim) recently though so I guess that will be the real test. I also got a bottle of Listerine and will let you know how that goes.

I'd be tempted to try a dry bath sort of treatment with Monkey Butt powder. Can you get that there? I'm getting ready to do something with Lu (Pyrenees mix) - after a month of living indoors she STILL smells like sheep. I love the smell of sheep, but, you know, outdoors I love it, inside not so much.

In case he (or you) get tired of lavender:

I always keep the enzyme-stuff that you can pour or spray on the carpet when your husband's cat pisses you off yet again (goes by many names, I know it as Outright). How about spraying it on Solo's bottom? It has a pleasant, non-perfumy scent and will get rid of cat urine, and Solo couldn't possibly smell that bad...

Well I don't care how handsome he is I would,

Cut the cheese

Let some air circulate and get the Monkey Butt powder look going on.

Come on we all know if your Husband had a hairy arse that smelled of cheese you would do it for him,well maybe not actually be the doer of the deed but i'm sure you would strongly suggest it get done.

ROTF

I'm sorry but I just can't get the image out of my mind right now of a bunch of people going and taking a sniff of their dogs butt.

I crack up enough when Thunderbolt rips a fart and looks at his own butt and then at me as if saying "Hey beat that dad"

Monkey Butt powder is some good stuff!

No self respecting IronHorse rider would take a roadtrip without it,and if its good enough for my cheeks its good enough for my dogs,LOL

Lol... I just rim Poppy up real good under the tail and to the sides. Looks shorter but does the trick real well. Kills all odour. Especially with all this wet weather we have been having!