BC Boards

Miss Brassy Pants

tualizzy

Saying Good-bye to Miss Brassy Pants

July 5, 1996 to December 5, 2008

This afternoon, Brassy passed away.

No longer struggling with the limitations of an old body, Brassy is now on the other side of the rainbow.

It was two years ago this week that Craig & I drove through a snowstorm to Vancouver, and adopted Brassy from That'll Do Border Collie Rescue. (Thank you Sheena!).

Brassy spent the next two years being spoiled rotten. She loved playing frisbee, chasing sticks, swimming, cross country skiing...and her favourite, eating poo. She quickly became my shadow, following me where ever I went. The greetings she would give me upon returning home from work each day were loud and energetic. I knew she loved me, and I was head over heels for her.

Brassy's old body started to show its age this fall, and today it had enough.

We had to make the tough decision to let her go, and together decided that was the best for her.

We booth would have loved to have had her with us so much longer, but this was the kindest and most loving thing we could have done for her.

She was a WONDERFUL lady. Her beautiful blue eyes always sparkled, and to entice her tail to wag...all we had to do was look at her and smile.

I feel really blessed to have shared the last two years with Miss Brassy Pants, and I'm going to miss her very much.

Run free at the bridge Brassy. I love you pretty girl.

Claudine & Craig

brassygirl.jpg

brassyportrait2.jpg

brassybed.jpg

Oh no.. I am so sorry to hear about Brassy. She was indeed a beautiful girl and I'm so glad that she had you for the past 2 years.

"We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree or an apple or any flowering shrub of the garden is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer or gnawed at a flavorful bone or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder.

These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter. For if the dog be well-remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where the dog sleeps. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppy hood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pastureland, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog and all one to you, and nothing is gained and nothing is lost .... if memory lives.

But there is one best place to bury a dog. If you bury him in this spot, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they shall not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master."

Miss Brassy Pants lives on in your hearts and ours as well.

My heart sank as well when I saw the post. My deepest sympathy to you.

Mine did too... I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, gorgeous girl.

She will be missed, even by those she never actually met. We could all see how special she was just from the beautiful photos you posted of her and the wonderful way you described her.

Ohh, no... this is such a sad day. I've followed her story and her son's from the begining, and she's always brought a smile to my face, her beauty, her kindness and her joy of life were so obvious in all the pictures and stories. My thoughts are with you and your loved ones...

Thank you very much everyone for your nice comments.

I was in such fog yesterday.... I noticed this morning that I told everyone in my post that she was born in '96. It was actually '94. My sweet girl was 14.5....I haven't meet too many other dogs who liked to play as much as she did at her at that age..... the house is so quiet this moring.

Over the weekend I plan to compile a slide show of Brssy's two years with us, and will post it in the photo section when done.

Thank you again everyone, your comments really mean a lot.

Cheers,

Claudine

Oh, my heart sank as well. Even though I knew that Brassy had been having some problems in the last few months, I still was a bit shocked to read the title of the thread. I'm so glad that she got to spend her last two years with you. How lucky you both were. I'm glad she had someone who loved her enough to know when it was time to let her go. I am sorry for your loss, though.

My deepest condolences for your loss - I know from your posts how much she meant to you and your family. Having followed her story from the beginning, I also know very blessed Miss Brassy Pants was to have found such a wonderful home in which to spend her golden years. Bless you for giving her such happy years. When we adopt seniors or special needs dogs, we know we may not have them as long but somehow that doesn't keep us from taking them into our hearts as you did with this old girl.

Enjoy the Bridge, Ms. Brassy Pants - given all of the seniors that have left us recently, you have plenty of friends to play with there!

Each day I check this forum, fearful that another loved one has passed on, yet wanting to let that dog lover know that I am thinking of him/her. I hope these words may be of some comfort.

My precious girl passed away, no more to breathe a sound.

I held her for the last time, then entombed her in the ground.

Day and night I wept so much, in tears I thought I'd drown.

I searched my soul for comfort, but no peace therein was found.

In great despair, I hit my knees and then began to pray.

"Father, will I ever see my dog again someday?"

I raised my eyes and saw an angel standing near a gate.

I sensed an inner peace I'd never felt before that day.

The angel smiled and said to me, "Oh ye of little faith!

God sees every bird that falls; He knows your puppy's fate.

I have met your little dog, I saw her pass my way.

Your precious dog is still alive; she just walked through this gate.

Paradise is lovelier than you can comprehend.

No pain or grief, no tears or fears, and life will have no end.

God gave to man His only Son, to cover all his sins.

So why would God withhold from you, your pure and loving friend?”

The angel took me by the hand and said, "Now come with me.

A glimpse of paradise I'll give, to you so you can see."

Through the gate and o'er the Rainbow Bridge we did proceed.

Through green valleys filled with flowers, rolling hills and trees.

“Wow, so this is paradise!” The place was filled with joy.

I saw my puppy playing there, with dogs and cats and toys.

She also had some doggie treats, and food that she enjoyed.

She'd made a lot of new friends there, including girls and boys.

Then I saw a child come near, and hug my little mate.

She said to her, "I love you so," and kissed her on the face.

The angel said, "The child just crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.

Now she needs a little friend, to love and help her play.

God’s love for her would be enough, in that make no mistake.

But in His love, He knew full well, the child would want a mate.

This is why God called your dog unto this splendid place.

God’s entrusted her with your baby, ‘til you pass through the gate."

I pleaded, “May I hug them both?!” The angel answered, “No!

You’d violate a sacred site, and now it’s time to go.”

He led me back across the Bridge and through the gate to home.

He left me there with new-found hope and peace within my soul.

If someone ever asks what happens to a dog that dies,

Just give a gentle smile of joy and look them in the eye.

Take their hand and comfort them and tell them not to cry.

For dogs don’t die, they simply cross a bridge to paradise.

Via con Dios, Brassy.

Me too :rolleyes:

Good girl, Miss Brassy Pants. Although it was a long life, its never long enough. What a gift for all of you to share, if only for two years.

I'm sending all our best wishes to you Claudine and Craig, as well as heartfelt hugs for a job well done adopting such a beautiful old girl.

Ailsa