BC Boards

Ghost bit me.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she has two choices, (1) keep the dog and work on the problem or (2) have the dog put down. Passing him on is irresponsible, cowardly, and could very well have severe legal consequences.

And that, is 5, oops now 6, pages of good advice in a nutshell.

And that, is 5, oops now 6, pages of good advice in a nutshell.

Good advice to you maybe. But "good advice" is merely an opinion, In My Opinion. (Funny how the whole opinion thing works isn't it?)

I thank everyone who has been understanding, supportive and kind in this very hard time for both Ghost and I.

And for those that think I am irresponsible and cowardly. I really put no stock in what you say. That you could make a judgment such as this about someone you have never met, regarding a dog you have never met IS irresponsible. Do you really think I would just pawn off my own dog on the nest person who walks by? If so, you are sorely mistaken.

I have one potential for Ghost in mind, they are very experienced in the breed and I have faith that they can help him. I have been very upfront with them, and they know of Ghost's issues and what he has done. They will also sign a waiver stating that they know of Ghost's issues, that he has bitten, and will not hold me legally responsible if he bites again. They will also sign a contract stating that if they can't help Ghost, or if he doesn't work out for any reason, he will be returned to me.

However, first he will be neutered, and his thyroid will be screened. He will then come home to stay with me for a week to two weeks. He will be fed in his crate to avoid any confrontations. I have had several people who have offered to help me, over the phone and in person. No they are not certified behaviorists or professionals, but they do know what they're doing. I will then make the final decision to rehome Ghost with this person or not, based on what progress we have made, and how comfortable I am feeling.

For those of you that balk at this and tell me it's not enough, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and actually help? You are not the ones living with this decision, I highly doubt it effects if you get any sleep at night, or any relationships you have.

I am tired of everyone telling me I should do this, NO I have to do that, NOOO they are ALL wrong this is what you REALLY must do. I will do what *I* think is right, and that is the best that I can do.

Autumn

They will also sign a waiver stating that they know of Ghost's issues, that he has bitten, and will not hold me legally responsible if he bites again.

Autumn, just FYI, a waiver signed by the person who takes Ghost will not mean anything if Ghost bites a third party and that person (or their parent) knows or finds out that you rehomed a known biter and then sues you. Don't know how likely that is, but may be another aspect of this for you to consider.

Autumn, just FYI, a waiver signed by the person who takes Ghost will not mean anything if Ghost bites a third party and that person (or their parent) knows or finds out that you rehomed a known biter and then sues you. Don't know how likely that is, but may be another aspect of this for you to consider.

I am aware of this and have taken it into consideration. However, I think that the biggest risk is going to be to the person rehabbing him, if there is a risk. As I've said before, I just don't think I'm experienced enough to know when and how to correct his behavior, and most likely made it worse in trying to fix it.

Autumn

Autumn

I think you're getting bent out of shape with the opinions expressed here that you think were hurtful. Remember that you came on here looking for advise and opinions. If you wanted sympathy instead you should have maybe gone somewhere else.

There are very few on here who are offering advise that haven't had some issues with their own dogs. More experience is what they've had and where they are coming from.

When I first read your op I wasn't under the impression that the bite was as bad as it now seems to be.

And I wasn't of the same mindset that you should be PuttingTS your dog.

I've rescued dogs with simular issues. I never held anyone responsible for what happened after I took the dog but like Laurae said, someone can if they choose to go that route. It's good that you're are thinking about them signing a waiver as it really makes them think about what they are taking on. Doesn't make you safe but at least they are aware of what might happen. Plus it couldn't hurt in court if it came to that.

I hope you will continue on your path with Ghost and after all is said and done you both end up safe and still together. That is what I feel would be best for both. Gonna take some time to rebuild the trust and even more time to make sure he's safe with his issues. But if you keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there and be that much wiser when it's all said and done.

Good luck and I'm still interested in what happens. Please let us know how it turns out.

Kristen

Well, five pages later, I'm going to post my post again:

I think before taking irreversible steps it would really be worth your time to get a consult.

I have called the behaviorist in Kirkland. Portland is just too far away to drive to at this time. I haven't heard back from them yet. If I can afford to have a consult I certainly will, unfortunately I don't think it's going to be possible. We'll see when I get more information though.

Autumn

If you didn't have the experience to buy right, or train right, to prevent yourself from ending up in this mess. What is going to give you the experience to select his next home right?

You've had some fantastic suggestions - get a vet check, get a trainer/behaviorist in - that don't jeopordize other people. I'm baffled why you don't take them.

You wanted advice on how to rehome Ghost - that's the title of this thread. Pretty much everyone here has advised you against rehoming a dog with this problem. Even the local Rescue has refused the responsibility of that. That alone should tell you something.

Want to be better than Ghost's absentee breeder? Take responsibilty for him. Fix him in whatever way is necessary. Don't pass the buck and pretend that it's ok, and that everybody is just being mean by telling you the truth about the situation in general.

Autumn

I think you're getting bent out of shape with the opinions expressed here that you think were hurtful. Remember that you came on here looking for advise and opinions. If you wanted sympathy instead you should have maybe gone somewhere else.

I certainly wasn't looking for sympathy, there have been many very helpful posts here that have really helped me a lot. I have also gotten quite a few personal messages from people offering help.

What I had a problem with were the people who continually try to convince me that their advice is the only good advice, and if I do something different then I am irresponsible and cowardly.

Autumn

If you didn't have the experience to buy right, or train right, to prevent yourself from ending up in this mess. What is going to give you the experience to select his next home right?

Sure, I may not have selected the best breeder, (My next choice was a breeder who breeds purely conformation BCs, however, they would have taken the dog back if I were having this problem.) but I will be damned if you, who have never met myself or my dog, tell me that I have not done everything I could have possibly done from day 1 for this dog. People that I KNOW, that KNOW Ghost, that KNOW the situation, are telling me I have done nothing wrong to cause him to act so severely aggressive like this. I have socialized and trained him, I have done everything "right," I have put my heart and soul into this dog.

And I am not choosing his next home alone, I ask advice of people much more experienced than I am what they think, if they think it would be a good match, what questions I should ask, what I should be on the lookout for. One person that is helping me evaluates homes for rescue weims, they are not inexperienced.

I may be young but I was not born yesterday.

Autumn

What if there were also a clause stating that they are responsible for any of his future actions?

Autumn

What if there were also a clause stating that they are responsible for any of his future actions?

Autumn

It wouldn't relieve you of your responsibility because the person suing wouldn't have signed anything themselves that holds only the person who now theoretically has Ghost responsible. That's why you will always be potentially responsible for anything he does in the future, since you acted with the prior knowledge that he has bitten in the past.

People that I KNOW, that KNOW Ghost, that KNOW the situation, are telling me I have done nothing wrong to cause him to act so severely aggressive like this. I have socialized and trained him, I have done everything "right," I have put my heart and soul into this dog.Autumn

Autumn,

I have had a number of dogs over the years and all turned out really well except one that I had aggression and fear problems with. So this does happen. I decided to take the journey with her which was not easy as my behaviourist lived 1000km round trip. Sure it was very difficult but it taught me so much about what I didnt know about dogs. This woman was unbelievably good and was a long term investment for me into dog training and owning. I will always thank my problem dog for what I learnt on that difficult and stressful journey. This was my personal experience and has helped me so much with my subsequent dogs.

I really feel for you as I know the toll owning this type of dog can have on the very fabric of your life. You sound like you have made your decision after a lot of anguish and have been helped by people who know you and Ghost so I wish you both luck.

Is that not in person? It seems like it's just over the internet, maybe I misunderstood though.

Autumn

There are 3 options, all include 6 months of help for one flat fee (much cheaper than many classes!);

1) come in for an appointment

2) PetFax - advice via phone and e-mail directly to you

3) VetFax - advice via phone and e-mail through your vet, which would give your vet the option of prescribing medication under the guidance of the behavior department

I hope you will continue on your path with Ghost and after all is said and done you both end up safe and still together. That is what I feel would be best for both. Gonna take some time to rebuild the trust and even more time to make sure he's safe with his issues. But if you keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there and be that much wiser when it's all said and done.

Good luck and I'm still interested in what happens. Please let us know how it turns out.

Kristen

Autumn

I want to thank you for sharing your story with us. I know it was hard, painful, and at times hurtful for you. But a lot of good information and websites have been shared here that I’m sure we all will find helpful in the future.

I agree with the post above; that if you do decide to pursue Ghost’s rehabilitation, you will learn a lot. The old obedience adage was “ You never learn from a good dog…you always learn from your problem dog.” That is so true in all aspects of education in training and behavior. I used to find comfort in that when I would get really frustrated.

And if you do pursue this with Ghost, I, also, would be interested in hearing about the journey.

My best to you.

:rolleyes:

I've "decided" to do everything at this point. I "decided" it would be best to put Ghost down. I "decided" that it would be best to rehome him with someone more experienced. And I just recently "decided" that I'm going to keep Ghost and work very hard with a behaviorist or SOMEONE to improve his behavior.

Unfortunately these never last long. I was just basically told by someone that I thought was a good friend that this most recent choice was a horrible one. They were completely for me rehoming him, so keeping him is wrong.

So basically, I can put him down, otherwise known as A Monster.

I can rehome him, otherwise known as Irresponsible and Cowardly.

Or I can keep him, otherwise known as Stupid and Uneducated.

Oh but in the end, everyone always says that they KNOW I will do what is RIGHT. Unless of course it's not what they said to do, then it's wrong wrong wrong.

I don't know what is right. I don't KNOW what to do, how am I supposed to know that?? I make a decision and think I know it's the "right" one and I always end up doubting myself.

How am I supposed to know??

I havent read the whole thread, but I wanted to offer some support on the rehoming thing, we have done this before, rehomed a known biter. was it a risk? of coarse, but we took the care and time to find the right person who was fully aware of his problems and had the time and inclination to work on them. it didnt work out quiet as we planned, but everything worked out for the dog now that he has an owner who is a much better fit for his personaility..and who's other dogs dont hate his guts lol

You take him to a vet and a behaviorist (not just someone "knowledgeable about dogs" but a highly educated, trained professional) so you will know for sure what you are working with. You're undecided right now because you don't know what you're truly facing. Once you see both of these professionals, I think your decision will be much easier. Sure, both cost money. But this is important, Autumn. You need to be educated in order to make the right decision.

Start with the option that has the most "outs": working with him yourself *with support from knowledgeable people* (the support part is key), if that doesn't work for whatever reason, go to the next: rehoming if you are aware of and can resign yourself to the risks (and they are many and great) and can find your "perfect placement", then the last: euth because it is so final but ensures that the risk ends with you.

In my work I see a lot of good dogs with no behavior issues euthed for space and I know the risks of placing aggressive animals, so it is very very tempting to say "euth" for aggressive issues that you're not willing or able to deal with, but I'm not you and I cannot make you see things from my perspective no matter how much I might think I'm right, nor how many similar cases I've referred out because I can't even help due to liability issues. My only advice is to try working with him yourself before you say you can't do it - we're much stronger and resilient than we often give ourselves credit for and as someone else said, it's those problem dogs you learn the most from. In the end you could look back on this moment with gratefulness for the gift it brought you and I sincerely hope that that comes to bear.

Unfortunately, you don't "know". Nobody "knows." You do what YOU think is best for YOU to do. You do what YOU feel is most comfortable for YOU.

This is true for EVERY decision you are going to make in life regarding your job, your marriage, your kids and your dogs.

You WILL make mistakes and you WILL make wrong decisions and there are some things in life that you WILL regret doing.

But, Autumn, that is life. (Hint: it gets no better when you're dealing with kids -- trust me. Then you really regret the mistakes you made. :rolleyes: )

So as I and others have told you before, take some time and make YOUR decision. You asked for advice and you got a lot. Everyone has an opinion. In the time I am writing this there are 3 new posts with more viewpoints. And the more people you ask, the more opinions you will get. You can always start with one option, as suggested, and then try the next one. But in the end, Autumn, this is YOUR dog and YOUR life and YOUR decision to make.

:D

I don't know what is right. I don't KNOW what to do, how am I supposed to know that?? I make a decision and think I know it's the "right" one and I always end up doubting myself.

Autumn, no one knows, including you, because nobody knows the future. No one knows how the course of action you choose will play out, or how the options you don't choose would have played out. But you're doing the best you can. It seems to me that you're showing full awareness of the pluses and minuses of all your possible choices. There is a world of difference between just dumping your problem on someone else, and relinquishing the dog to a knowledgeable, experienced person of good judgment who agrees to assume responsibility for him with full knowledge of the facts. If you have the opportunity of doing that -- either temporarily to find out how the dog is in a different situation and to get that person's input, or permanently -- it sounds like a very reasonable course of action, and if your considered opinion is that it's the best choice then that's the decision you should make. Like some others who have posted, I've known dogs who seemed to be descending into craziness in one home who turned completely around in a new placement. That might happen here, or it might not. None of your choices are without possible bad consequences. But if you have confidence in the person who is willing to take Ghost on under the conditions you describe, I don't see why you should let the opinions of anyone who does not have first-hand knowledge of the situation deter you. Good luck to you, and I'm sorry for the situation you find yourself in and the heartache you're experiencing.