BC Boards

my formal hello

my girl will nap on the bed, or sleep there most of the night if only one human in the bed. 2 humans, not enough room for here-she gets tired of us moving a toe so goes to her cage. she goes to her cage in the middle of the night if you let her stay on the bed, so she must be happier there

Hey Bob... really glad to see you back with us!

My 2 older girls are now too old to get up on our pretty high bed, but my BC boy Phoenix, will sleep on the bed with me til hubby comes to bed and tells him off. We have noticed lately, a bit of a hesitation however! hmmm... he looks at my husband like, "are you talking to me?" I think it's cute, but I suppose it could easily turn into a problem..

I agree that it really should be up to you in the long run. If they were used to sleeping on the bed with your Dad, they have a routine, plus like others have said, they just might be wanting your companionship right now.

If it becomes too crowded or a problem, we can try help ya out with how to hopefully ease them off the bed without too much "arguing", on their part.

Wow! what a pack... I love it

Take care,

Welcome Bob my husband kicked kirby out of the bed when our first daughter was born so he had 3 years of bed sleeping he found it a hard habit to break so he would wait for him to leave and jump up. Jewel sleeps with my daughter and Dally and Madeline are still in crates but, due to a grouchy husband they wont be in bed :rolleyes:

4 of mine sleep in their kennels, 1 sleeps on the bed with my daughter Ashli. When Ash was little about 5 or 6, she liked all the dogs (3 dogs at the time) to sleep with her. Most the times however when I would get up to check on my kids or for what ever reason I was wandering the house in the middle of the night I would find Ashli on the floor and the dogs on the bed with thier heads on her pillow. I even at one time caught Ike pushing her out of bed. So I put an end to all dogs on her bed and got kennels. Then we got Cherokee, Ashli payed for her out of her own chore money and ever since that first night when Cherokee cried in the kennel she has slept with Ashli. I have got some pretty cute pics of them sleeping together. Britani likes her bed to herself so no dogs sleep with her. My husband takes up most the bed so if a dog were to sleep with us, I would end up on the floor or couch so no dogs sleep with me either.

Lol!! I could see me doin that with cats Coloradogirl. My mom said when I was small she was sure she could leave me for a day in a room with cats and I'd be perfectly happy and entertained. :rolleyes: I still LOVE cats :D

My cat terrorizes me while I sleep though he bites my hand and fingers if my hand and fingers arent completely on the bed. He used to bite my eyebrows till Riven came to sleep with us. Now if he messes with me she wont leave him alone. Good dog :D

I've tried to get Solo to sleep on the bed, but he never has. I think it is a respect kind of thing more than anything else. He will come up if invited and likes nothing more than a nice backrub or cuddle session but will not remain on the bed to sleep. But, he will sleep on the bed when I am not home or if I am elsewhere in the apartment. He is extraordinarily bonded to me so the only explanation I can come up with is that he considers the bed mine and that he will only borrow it when I don't need it.

Fly used to sleep on the bed, but no longer chooses to. I think this has something to do with Solo, and something to do with being too warm. She will also hop up gladly for visits but doesn't stay.

Skeeter, the Papillon, sleeps on the bed and if it's cold, under the covers.

Bailey sleeps on the bed, he gets off as soon as we tell him though. He normally starts off on the bed then moves coz he gets too warm and sneaks back up in the middle of the night. There is many a morning I wake up and roll over to the sight of a doggy bum on my pillow. The other night he made me laugh (he like using pillows like we do, under his head), apparently he wasnt comfy with where the pillows were so whilst me and hubby were watch tv we had a dog digging at all the pillows to move them to where he wanted them

Glad your sticking around BobII

Claire

Hello again, BobII; glad you're posting!

You didn't say whether or not you like having the dogs on the bed with you or where they slept when they were with your dad. Are you ok with them sleeping with you?

My youngest, Ben, sleeps in an X-pen in another room with the tv on quietly for company. He's not trustworthy to be out loose- he eats things he shouldn't, like the carpet that used to be on the stairs, for example! When I had him in my room he didn't sleep well. I think DH and I snore or something and kept waking him up, lol! He sleeps very well with this set up.

My oldest, Skipper, sleeps on our bed part of the night. He starts there then usually hops off to spend the rest of the night in his own bed on the floor of our bedroom.

Annie comes up for a brief cuddle before we go to sleep but she ends up sleeping in my husband's closet, or in the bathroom, or sometimes actually on her own bed in our room. I think she gets too warm on our bed.

My daughter has her two in her room at night. Poppy sleeps on the bed; Bailey chooses her dog bed. They're both hop up for a snuggle, though.

I do sleep more soundly with my dogs in our room, especially when DH is out of town for a few days/nights. I know they would wake me if I needed to be alerted to anything unusual. I also sleep better with one or more up on the bed. They're comforting.

It does make cleaning harder, though! I have a row of pet hair removers on a window shelf that I use on the bed every morning. I keep a heavy sheet over my comforter to help catch fur, too. We have 5 dogs in the house so it looks fuzzy all over no matter what I try!

This is a fun topic!

Let us know what you decide to do about your arrangements.

Regards,

A little story:

Once, when I was having some conflicted authority issues,sick of being buried in dogs every night but too soft to outright ban them, I announced that we would make a "dog annex" to the bed and the dogs would sleep there. I took a massage table and lowered it to bed height, made it up all cushy and put it between our bed and the wall. Basically our entire room was a bed. What happened? The cats staked claim to the Dog Annex, the dogs dared not challenge the cats, the Dog Annex became the Cat Annex and all the dogs still slept on me! I was really peeved that my brilliant solution to being smothered and paralyzed by dogs was ruined by CATS. So the Annex was decommissioned and I stopped being conflicted. The dogs sleep in their own beds on the floor, welcome to come up and visit, but not to stay through the night. The cats, however, do as they please. And it pleases them to perch atop me and ride out my defensive nighttime thrashings like surfers.

Damn cats.

Welcome Bob and let us know how your sleep is going.

Willikers - Great story!! I know that cat surfing thing all to well, and our little Pughuahua is in the mix, too. Poor Hoku faces the greatest of life's inequities in his not being allowed to sleep on the bed but doomed to his own fluffy bed next to ours. You gotta draw the line some where!