BC Boards

Shiney Coat?

A really healthy diet.

I use dinovite which is a supplement I get online for my dog. For the dog I found I've been adding a raw egg and fatty acids to her diet. My friend that was with me when I found her about 2 weeks ago was just commenting today on how her hair has grown in and it's starting to soften up and shine.

No matter what you add to supplement the diet, though, you need to start off with a really good solid high quality food.

Lori

Agreed that good food makes the most difference. Look for whole, named meats, few grains and not "fractions" (like hulls, flour, gluten), and I prefer foods that are simpler, though the holistic foods that include the "kitchen sink" make up for this in the niceness of their main ingredients. Check out how many calories you get per kilogram to see the true value of the product - you might be surprised, when you can feed almost literally half as much of a food that only costs 75% more than a less dense, nutritious product.

And fresh foods are wonderful and it's a rare dog that doesn't respond beautifully to including them in the diet. Steamed veggies and fruits, whole raw meat, lightly cooked egg, and yogurt and cottage cheese all add the variety and nutrients that are important to a dog's health. Even better is going all homecooked/raw, but I know that's not for everyone.

Egg and fish (fatty fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel, etc) are the most valuable fresh foods you can add for coat and skin health. Fish also help a pup's developing brain (DHA) and immune system (EFA). About 4 oz three times a week will do the trick, although I also add salmon oil concentrate, plus vitamin E, to their food every day. Our modern food chain is terribly deficient in many nutrients, including OFAs, and I've found that making this small addition makes a big difference in their coats.

I use fish oil because it's difficult for dogs to process the ALA in plant oils to EFA and DHA. These omega 3s are both particularly deficient in our diets, and also particularly important for joint health, brain function, mood, and immune system function.

I feed Taj and Tia (black Shar-Pei) raw, including fish three-four times per week, they also get fish oil (with vit E), Evening primrose oil and ester C once per day.5ish times per week, and I am make sure that their meat contains fat as well.

Everyone now comments on Taj's lustrous shiny coat, he's only five months old, but his puppy coat was quite dull in comparison. Tia is five years old and has always had dry dull coat with skin alergies, but her coat now is so shiny its incredible.

Plus raw = no doggy odour, even when wet;)

I totaly agree with the fish

If your dog will eat it

Ben is now raw but before the switch I would give him raw fish when I was cooking it for me and I could feel the difference in his coat a couple of days after

His coat is mainly white so the shine is more difficult to see but there is a big increase in softness (I think he is getting fed up of me hugging him like a teady bear but he is sooo soft )

To help in the winter, to battle dry skin, we add oils and fatty suppliments. There's this stuff called Vita-Gravy that they really like and has a lot of great vitamins and fats for them. Normally though mine just get a food that is geared towards healthy skin and coat (Beneful: Healthy Radiance). Rhea's fur has never lost its softness from puppyhood and they all have a beautiful sheen to them. They really shine after a good bath though.

When I first got Curly from a rescue his coat was not in great shape. He then went on Science Diet WD for colitis and it got so brittle and feel out a lot. I added few tablespoons of olive oil and his coat changed significantly. When switching to an even higher quality food (currently Instinct) and trying to find the right combo for his colitis (he doesn't seem to do well on super high protein content-I add brown rice) I still add olive oil and his coat remains shiny and it gets curlier. Now that I read this thread, I think I will try to sneak some fish oils caps maybe and Omega 3 too as that will have benefit to his tummy issues too.

Like others have said, a good diet plays a huge role in maintaning good coat health - i.e. shiny, soft coat.

My dog eats Innova EVO and raw. I also supplement with canned mackerel and eggs.

Ohmigosh, Mudpups, you mean it's the raw food that keeps my Stormy from stinking like other dogs do???? I thought it was just a border collie thing. He's also got very clean teeth and his breath doesn't stink.

Lori

Plus raw = no doggy odour, even when wet;)

Maybe so, but I'm here to tell ya, it doesn't do a darn thing to knock down the odor when they roll in something stinky :rolleyes:

P.S. Why isn't there a "yuck" icon? Seems like it would come in pretty handy around here.

food that is geared towards healthy skin and coat (Beneful: Healthy Radiance).

I'm not familiar with Healthy Radiance, and, no offense, but Beneful is some of the worst crap they have on shelves. With everydog who leaves my house, the new home gets feeding instructions and recommended foods. I name foods to stay away from, and Beneful is one I mention by name. Of course, I have no control whether what they feed, once the dog leaves my house, but at least they leave with the "seed" planted in their minds to question everything that's advertised as "healthy" or "good". IMO, the best diets are not necessarily created in some pet food manufacture's labs.

I agree with the replies that a good diet is the best for a shiny coat. A good diet will also reduce the need for frequent baths. And usually, good diets aren't advertised in the media. It takes a little bit of work beginning with research. Question and research, and you'll see what the pet food companies tout as "good" and "healthy" and "nutritious" has your wallet first and foremost in mind. Those "real bits of fruits and vegetables" are geared toward the consumer's eye. I doubt that a dog cares about the pretty colors in his/her bowl -- and with good reason.

Sorry for the rant, but just learn to read labes. I'd rather my dog's shiny coat come from an actual healthy source rather than something "scientifically" concocted for the consumer's eye in "our labs".

I can never understand why people pay for something like Beneful when there's so many products that are way, way better, in the same price range:

Beneful Healthy Radiance ($30 for 35 lb, 306 Kcal/cup):

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon, brewers rice, soybean meal, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, soybean oil, animal digest, water, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried carrots, calcium carbonate, green beans, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), [more vitamins and minerals]

Canidae All Life Stages ($24 for 33 lb, 468 Kcal/cup):

Chicken meal, turkey meal, brown rice, white rice, lamb meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), herring meal, flax seed, sun cured alfalfa meal, sunflower oil, chicken, lecithin, monocalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, choline chloride, linoleic acid, rosemary extract, sage extract, dried enterococcus faecium, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, inulin (from chicory root), saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, yucca schidigera extract, [vitamins and minerals]

Pinnacle chicken and Oats ($40 for 30 lb, 400 Kcal/cup):

Chicken meal, chicken, whole oat flour, toasted oats, tomato pomace, fresh potato, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), quinoa, dehydrated mixed vegetables (carrot flakes, red and green bell peppers, broccoli, peas, tomato flakes, celery, garlic, spinach and parsley), grapeseed oil, cottage cheese, egg product, lecithin, rosemary and sage extract, [vitamins and minerals]

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul ($32 for $35 lb, 336 Kcal/cup):

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, [vitamins and minerals]

Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete ($33 for 40 lbs, can't find calorie density information but at 32% protein and 25% fat it's going to be high)

Chicken meal, chicken, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, cracked pearled barley, powdered cellulose, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, [vitamins and minerals]

When Annie was transitioning from puppy food to adult food, her training school gave us the following is a list of recommended dog; it contains many brands already mentioned in this thread:

Acana

Blue Buffalo

California Natural

Canidae

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul

Dog Lover's Gold

Eagle Pack Holistic Select

Evo

Flint River Ranch

Go! Natural from Petcurean

HealthWise

Innova (our vet's second choice recommendation, after Merrick)

IVD (available by prescription from veterinarians only, specially formulated for various conditions)

Merrick (top recommendation from our vet)

Natura

Natural Balance Ultra Premium (the Vegetarian Formula is NOT recommended)

Newman's Own Organics

NRG

Pinnacle

Prairie from Nature's Variety

Royal Canin (also produced in prescription formulations, as well as commercial mixes)

Solid Gold

Timberwolf Organics

Wellness from Old Mother Hubbard

Wysong

In addition, the following also received excellent grades in the Merck pet food rating system:

Artemis

Authority Harvest

Beowulf Back to Basics

Burns

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance

Foundations

Kirkland Signature

Nature's Recipe

Nature's Variety Raw Instinct

Nutrience

Nutro Ultra

Premium Edge Chicken

"Canidae All Life Stages ($24 for 33 lb, 468 Kcal/cup):....., yucca schidigera extract, [vitamins and minerals]"

Just FYI- yucca is a root that has the excellent side benefit of controlling odor. We used it to control the smell of ferret potty. Works amazingly in cat food, too. Totally deodorizing.

Lori

Guest SweetJordan
I'm not familiar with Healthy Radiance, and, no offense, but Beneful is some of the worst crap they have on shelves. With everydog who leaves my house, the new home gets feeding instructions and recommended foods. I name foods to stay away from, and Beneful is one I mention by name. Of course, I have no control whether what they feed, once the dog leaves my house, but at least they leave with the "seed" planted in their minds to question everything that's advertised as "healthy" or "good". IMO, the best diets are not necessarily created in some pet food manufacture's labs.

I agree with the replies that a good diet is the best for a shiny coat. A good diet will also reduce the need for frequent baths. And usually, good diets aren't advertised in the media. It takes a little bit of work beginning with research. Question and research, and you'll see what the pet food companies tout as "good" and "healthy" and "nutritious" has your wallet first and foremost in mind. Those "real bits of fruits and vegetables" are geared toward the consumer's eye. I doubt that a dog cares about the pretty colors in his/her bowl -- and with good reason.

Sorry for the rant, but just learn to read labes. I'd rather my dog's shiny coat come from an actual healthy source rather than something "scientifically" concocted for the consumer's eye in "our labs".

Yep, Beneful is crap. Though most people wouldn't know it by watching the commerical. These pet companies should have to be responsible for false advertising.

Guest SweetJordan
When I first got Curly from a rescue his coat was not in great shape. He then went on Science Diet WD for colitis and it got so brittle and feel out a lot. I added few tablespoons of olive oil and his coat changed significantly. When switching to an even higher quality food (currently Instinct) and trying to find the right combo for his colitis (he doesn't seem to do well on super high protein content-I add brown rice) I still add olive oil and his coat remains shiny and it gets curlier. Now that I read this thread, I think I will try to sneak some fish oils caps maybe and Omega 3 too as that will have benefit to his tummy issues too.

Yeah if he has colitis fish oil would be the best oil for him.