BC Boards

Ugghhh Agravated!

If you want kittens, just move to a farm with a barn close to the road. Within a month or two you will have at least one litter of kittens there.

There was one farm I used to rent where I used to find boxes out in front of the barn when I came back in from the fields with curious freqency. The boxes would be empty. I never understood until one day when I was mowing hay on a field that overlooked the farmstead.

A car pulled up, a woman got out. When she drove away, I saw a box on the ground in front of the barn doors. On my next swath where I had a view, I saw our barn cat investigating the box. She had something in her mouth and was trotting back into the barn. I figured that the lady had dropped off some sort of attractive snack for the barn cat. I should point out that the barn cat was essentially feral, and we were the third tennants during her tenure on the place. She was a well-known local fixture. Had to be trapped in a havahart every three years for her rabies shot.

On my next pass, the cat was back at the box again, and I realized what was going on. The lady had dropped off a box of kittens, and the barn cat was killing them, one by one. That explained the occasional empty box that I would find there.

I often wondered how many cats there would have been on that farm, if not for the intervention of the barn cat. I worked there for a year, and I think I found six empty boxes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never had any trouble getting a kitten whenever we wanted one, usually within days. If you live in an area close to any rural type place, you might just put up a sign at the grocery store or library or something and I bet you will get calls the first day!!

My cats go outside during the day and the rescues around here all say inside only for their cats. I am not willing to be dishonest about our cat policies, so I don't adopt from them. Before anyone starts yelling at me: my cats are spayed, have their shots, including FIV vaccination, stay mostly on my property, and are in the warm every night. If they do come inside during the day they are only willing to be in for a short nap before they are crying to go back out. I know it is a risk to let your cats outside, but we have the best of circumstances and my cats would be miserable if they had to stay inside all the time.

So, best of luck of Maria, I know you don't feel like being patient right now as you are grieving and in a hurry to make that feel better!! Been there, so I understand. But try word of mouth or putting up a sign somewhere and I bet you will have your kitten within the week. No rules, someone just grateful to get rid of the kitten.

Originally posted by kelpiegirl:

Julie P:

A safe home is a requirement for ANY animal.

Julie

That was my point exactly--which is why I couldn't understand why you would differentiate between a kitten and a border collie. Rescue is in the business of finding safe homes, and if they put rules in place that others consider silly, well, then those folks don't have to deal with that particular rescue. I personally wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy about placing a puppy or a kitten or any other small animal or young or adult livestock in a home with small children unless I knew the family well. That doesn't make me bad or unfair, and a rescue that makes the same choice is also neither bad nor unfair.

J.

Look on Craigslist if you have one for your area. We had 2 litters of kittens over the last year from the various cats that take up residency in our barn and found homes for them on craigslist. I asked $30.00 for them to keep the idiots away, and would talk with them a little via email then phone asked for vet info and checked with the vet they gave me then they would come to look at the kitty and if I had given them their first shots would charge for the shot $6.00 from the feed store and nothing else. If they had not had their first shot then I would give the kitten to them. It took me about 3 weeks to find them homes but to me it was worth it. I have since been catching the cats some in the live trap or if friendly enough by hand (I have 3 that wait in the trees by my front door for the kids to come home) and have been having them fixed!! I always feel guilty about the litters of kittens that I find, and even more guilty with the barn cats that I owned or owned us. So that was my new years res. for end of 2006 and 2007 to fix all the cats that I can catch.

Okay, I'll bite...

We currently have several rescuers as clients, and I'll bet one of them would be happy to let you have a kitten, there are two posted here at work right now, beautiful longer haired orange tabbies.

I have two black kittens and two adults I haven't trapped yet to have fixed and released, if you want one, and they go tame when caught, it's yours!!

What you won't get through individuals are any assurances about vaccines and neutering, that's on you. I know those folks can seem unreasonable, but it's theirs until they place it, to pay for and care for. If they can't take chances (or won't) they'll serve fewer kitties in the long run, trying to look for "perfect" homes.

"If they can't take chances (or won't) they'll serve fewer kitties in the long run, trying to look for "perfect" homes."

I know it can seem that way, and perhaps a realistic shakedown of numbers would show as much, but the incentive is to put the animal into a permanent situation. And like it or not, often times, homes with kids and/or no fenced yards, or holiday placements, are not permanent.

I've made the occasional exception to common rules, sometimes it has worked and other times it came back to bite me in the butt, and worse yet, to render that same animal homeless again.

Would I risk it again...probably. Some people are just better in person than they are on paper and I think it's important to be able to see that, however it's not arrogance on the rescue's part to have what seem to many as "unreasonable rules". It's concern. It's trying to do the best you can even when sometimes that doesn't make sense.

I placed a puppy a couple years ago with a young unmarried couple who lived in an apartment and were both college students. My husband thought it was not the best choice despite them being absolutely adorable. From the same litter I placed another pup with a nice family, older kids, fenced yard, and a behaviorist/trainer as a relative.

The family gave up the dog when he was about one and he was later, much later adopted, by the young couple, now married and they've all since moved to the east coast. I still hear from them and both dogs are on their Christmas card.

Sometimes it's a crapshoot..and with that one I got lucky.

Maria

Originally posted by RaisingRiver:

I totally understand and feel the same way when Border Collies are listed 'no kids, fenced yard'. I have kids and no fence - but don't have any issues with either. And I'm exactly the kind of person a rescue would want in an adopter.

LOL, I wouldn't be able to adopt from the rescue I volunteer with. :rolleyes: They require adopters to sign a paper that says "the dog is to be exercised in fenced yard or on a leash and not allowed off leash in any unsecured area."

But I don't really think my rescue group would brand me irresponsible because I let Violet accompany me off leash while I'm working around the farm. I think that's just one of those conversation starters - a person's response to a statement like that can tell you a lot about the sort of adopter they'd be.

So if you really want that kitten, I'd say get in touch with the rescue and start a conversation. I'm sure they'll realize you're a responsible adopter with a good home to offer - and if they don't, well, then, they're too bound to their rule book.

Originally posted by smileyzookie:

Humane Societys usually dont restrict like that do they? I know the ones around here are always FULL of kittys :rolleyes:

Yes. They do. I was told because I have small children I couldn't get a kitten. Never mind I'd raised orphan kittens, had a good background with animals and the kitten would be an inside cat and I don't declaw. Guess it may have been for the best the one that called to me and came to me was a little solid black sick kitty *runny eye and sneezy. Course, I wouldn't have minded that or the vet bill. "shrugs" Now I got 2 kitties both basic rescues ~one at pet store ( lady would get them from the local pound and then cat free it you bought 36 dollars worth of items) and the other a toss out.

Another place you could look is freecycle. I've seen 4 or 5 kittens so far there over here.

And while I can see rescues questioning and making rules, I think some go overboard. The same one I mentioned up top that wouldn't let me have one of theirs charged 75 to 85 for kittens and cats and these folks were loaded down. And for the record that same toddler they told me I couldn't have a kitty cause of had just been taught to walk by my mother's cat. He was gentle with her and she adored him. Grandma just wouldn't give her up. lol She went looking with us. She shoke her head in disbelief when I was told we couldn't get one. But for us that worked out well, cause Molly came from the petstore lady who knew us and for 36 dollars of pet supplies she came home and has been rotten ever since. Oh and it wasn't toddler getting her it was her instigating him. Her favorite game till he got older was sitting on top of the couch with him on the floor and her taking one claw and gently tapping him on the head till he looked up. That same cat wore out the batteries on the infant bouncer before my daughter could even get in it good. I think Molly is happy we were deemed unfit for other kitties it made our home open for her to walk right in and start ruling the roost.

Originally posted by karrie:

quote:
Originally posted by smileyzookie:

Humane Societys usually dont restrict like that do they? I know the ones around here are always FULL of kittys :rolleyes:

Yes. They do. I was told because I have small children I couldn't get a kitten. It must just be certain towns have certain rules? I know the one here will give anything to anyone :D While it gets homes for animals, Im not sure it really gets most of them a forever home. Thats where we adopted Rivendell, and they couldnt even find the paperwork on her.

Maybe. Just know the one in Augusta, Ga did. Course, truthfully had my belly not announcing PREGGARS and my toddler not been with me, they would have given me the cat on the spot. Just fill out the forms, pay the fees and pet is yours. The woman there assumed she needed to educate me on the hazards of litter etc since I was preggars even after I informed her I knew those hazards and had other cats in the past, raised orphaned kittens and my DH was the litter man. Per her I shouldn't get close to or touch at cat cause I was preggars. LOL me the one who was raised with cats and dogs and have had them my entire life..... too late lady I'd already been exposed and trained. Granted I do know some folks haven't a clue.

I got a reply.

"Maria, Thank you for your concern. However, we do have requirements which

must be met by each adoptive home and there are more requirements on our

pre-application form. We certainly understand if you are not comfortable

with our requirements and may prefer to use other resources to locate a cat

or kitten. Many rescue groups have specifics that must be met by an

adoptive home some less stringent than us and others more so. Every rescue

group has their reasons for the requirements after years of experience in

adoptnig out animals. If you are not comfortable with those requirements,

there are certainly plenty of cats and kittens at the pounds that need homes

desparately as well and we do not hesitate to suggest people visit those

pounds to adopt."

But not to worry, because I didnt come home from the SPCA empty handed yesterday. :rolleyes::D I'll introduce our new addition when Mike gets home. (The camera is in the truck with him at work)

Well, that's good news. I'll be looking for pics of the lucky new baby.

You gotta wonder about rules, sometimes. Like we have a shelter near here with a rule that they don't adopt dogs out to rescues, not even if the rescue pays their fee, unless it's the only option short of euthanasia. Go figure. :confused:

Originally posted by karrie:

Per her I shouldn't get close to or touch at cat cause I was preggars.

Oh good grief. The paranoia is so annoying, and coming from someone working at a shelter! I could go on, but you probably know it all. :rolleyes: But paranoia like that is why some women freak out and get rid of their cats when they get pregnant! Yarg!

Maria, that's great news! Can't wait to see the new little one. :D

Congratulations!

Hey, I got our first cat when I was pregnant with our first daughter. Got our second when I was pregnant with our second daughter. All five of us were fine. And the girls and I still are. One has my fantastic grandgirl.

Our son brought home the third cat.

We're now on our fourth cat. But I'm well out of the kid-biz (hit 60 this year), so it's finally moot.

Sigh...I could get you 6 free kittens right now. They were posted in a weekly paper. They are even litter trained. And, very likely will show up in a shelter before spring. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you found something and I'll watch for the pictures

I used to work at a Humane Society for six months and quit because I couldn't take it anymore. I was the one that had to tell the family they couldn't have the cat if they were going to let it outside, then a few days later take the same cat to the "back room" and hold it down while it struggled so they could kill it. Crazy if you ask me.

Congratulations on your new baby! I hope you let it be a cat and let it outside.

... and get run over by a car ... or killed by dogs or coyotoes ... or get abcesses and punctures from other roaming cats ... or get chewed up in an engine when it falls asleep in one some cold night.

Cats can be CATS indoors as well. Mine's been a cat for 15 years indoors and has not changed into a monkey or a seatbelt or jug of whiskey by not being allowed outside to fend for himself.

???

RDM