BC Boards

Fourth Of July

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Freckles was awesome! No biggie she could have cared less about them. She was way more concerned with all noise the treat bag was making

Ugh. We had an agility BBQ/practice tonight, which was nice because there aren't many fireworks around our practice facility. But on our last run, they had started up a bit and Ling's ears were plastered to her head. She ran though... what a trooper! But now she's in the bedroom with the fan on, the door closed and the radio on loud. She's not coming out for anything... not a game of tug, not treats, nothing. Oh well, she'll survive. Bingo is sitting on the edge of the back door listening to all the banging with great fascination. He thinks they're cool, but he's old and he's long since learned that fireworks aren't going to hurt him.

Everything went good here. But we were lucky that no one around us fired off any. So other than the hail storm Black Jack was fine. I'm thankful though because it doesn't take much to scare him.

Usher did good with the "pre" fireworks, he was more concerned with the sprinkler, so we took him with us to look at them on top of the hill. Not much noise, but pretty. He did well. The noise didn't seem to bother him with neighbors fire works. I keep re-checking his papers to make sure he's a border collie. :rolleyes: Glad everyone's seemed to do ok.

Chaos was a mess. Poor guy-- he insisted on being in my lap for most of the afternoon. He did get to go see some sheepies this morning, though, before the fireworks started going off. Of course, as soon as we got home...

Guest LJS1993

Sounds like everyone so far did okay. Tell you this much, Freckles was unfazed by all the fireworks around our property. My last BC Shadow (RIP) was really shaken by loud noises. So this was a good thing for both owners and dog.

For a dog who's scared of: bicycles, skateboards, vacuums, blenders, buses, shopping carts, and bearded men, amazingly well. As far as I could see, she barely noticed the booms at all. Much more interested in helping with the barbecue. Of course, she's had a month of construction work on our apartment building to get used to loud noises.

Outside last night hanging out fireworks were set off (july 3), the BCs were scared and hid in the garage, tails tucked. Tonight, I was going to put them in the laundry room, but I guess between the fact that my neighbors are all 5 acres away and no one but us on our street did any so the rest are fairly far away and I suppose I have decent insulation on my house, you can barely hear the thuds outside. My BCs are just fine. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised that Zeb did well. We're only a couple miles from the big firework display at the pier, so we had the booms from that as well as some neighborhood stuff. He looked concerned after the first boom or two, but settled down to his normal routine and enjoyed chewies this evening. His first 4th was a good one. :rolleyes:

my 2 nearly drove me craazy. every time they heard a boom at first they ran out the doggie door to see if they could chase the noise away. they finally got tired of that and settled down to sleep.

but they are scared to death of thunder which we have almost every afternoon

Well, the "real" day of fireworks was much gentler than the previous day. No one within a 10 house radius was setting them off, so Buddy could only hear the more distant ones. He went under the bed and slept, but no panic attack like the night before. ::Phew!::

Mary

Not too bad at my house. All of the big dogs got a NutriCalm around 6pm, and the Small Dog got 1/2 of a benadryl. When it got really bad (you can hear the downtown BIG display from our house almost like you're there) June crated herself. Bree barked a few times, but that was the extent of it. Zippy... well... I don't think he actually heard anything, and he stayed sacked out in his tiny bed. Nick was curious, but mostly slept on the couch. Ginger acted like it was no big deal - she'd been through it before.

Well Maggie and I went hiking before they started, but by the time we got back they were going full-force and contiunued until past midnight. Luckily Maggie didn't seem too interested in the many booms and if anything just stuck a little closer to me all evening. This is the first year we've really been that close to fireworks for that long, so I was proud of my puppers. :rolleyes:

Considering that it went on in the city for 5 solid hours peaking between 9-11, the dogs did great. Honey laid beside me, I had George in his crate, and Cocoa hid under my bed. They did better than me. It was so very stressful and incredibly loud. You just can't imagine. I don't think I can take one more July 4th in the city. Every year it gets worse and worse. People were shooting off fireworks equal to the city's right next door to my house. It was the worst one yet. I am so exhausted. I hope they used all they had last night. Two years ago it went on for two solid weeks. If that happens I am either going to have a breakdown or end up in jail for manslaughter. Glad everyone else had it easier.

Toni

It thunderstormed here and our outside barbeque got moved inside.

I put Starr, Lily, and Rosie upstairs in my room. They all have their own good spots there and it was peaceful for them, no screaming kids.

Nash and Sweetpea, the crazy young'uns, they just ran rampant and had a big ole time. What noise? There are KIDS with FOOD at EYE LEVEL.

I was worried about the sheep and locked them up in their "new" shed, and they did ok too.

Not good here. Zoe and Ari were a mess. Kya didn't seem to notice much only the really big blasts caught her attention.

There were about 5 houses that were, IMO, doing a battle of fireworks. We live on a corner lot in a small township and have a noise ordanance from 10:00 pm until 7:00 am so they were giving it all day long but stopped promptly at 10:00pm. I don't think Zoe and Ari could have taken it much longer.

Sounded like a war zone out here :rolleyes: my neighbors go nuts with the fireworks. Mike is my only dog that freaks from noises, the rest are cool with anything. I gave Mike a Melatonin and he was chillin' in no time :-) Thank goodness that seems to really work with him, OTC and doesn't zonk him out, just mellows him out.

Lilly did fine. It's her job to bark at the fireworks, just on the off chance we didn't hear them. She wasn't scared.

Alex did pretty good. He wasn't bothered all night, until I took him out to potty and a loud one went off on the next street over. He hauled ass back to the door and wouldn't go out the rest of the night. But he was fine inside.

Jack, my scaredy cat-dog, had a good night for the most part. He was heavily dosed with herbal calming supplements, though. :rolleyes: He held it together enough to hang out with us, rather than hide in the bathroom, so that's a big improvement for him.

I took both dogs along to the family picnic, and then took them home when the noise makers got started at 8pm. As quirky as Missy can be with some things, fireworks and thunderstorms really don't bother her if she's in the house or in the car. Kipp wasn't too sure about the noise while we were still close by, but when we got home ithe noise was 1/2 mile away he could care less.

Well, we live about 8 blocks from the big city sponsored fireworks display at Sugarhouse Park. So . . . Allie and Rusty BOTH got a valium (Rusty was starting to get tense and freaky, too - probably in reaction to Allie) about 9:00 p.m. We closed all of the windows, turned the good ol' swamp cooler on high (it was also close to 100 degrees) and let the dogs find a good settling spot. Allie crept behind the toilet and went to sleep and Rusty crashed on his bed, so the rest of us walked over to view the spectacle. When we got back the dogs were still just hanging out. The DIY fireworks lasted until early this morning, but they didn't seem to bother the dogs too much. Allie crept onto our bed once we got in and stretched out and went right to sleep.

Allie woke up at 2:00 a.m. and had a case of the "munchies" and ate some food, drank a bowl of water and went out to pee. She then went back to sleep, very relaxed. Rusty then decided he had to go out about 3:00. Dogs are doing great! I, however, am tired and still have to go to work.