BC Boards

Dogs watching TV

How many of your dogs watch TV? And is it only for certain shows (their favourites??)

Gypsy occasionally looks at the TV if there's a weird noise, especially dogs barking, but it's only ever for the noises. Until last night.

I turned on the TV and saw there was 15 mins of "Top Dogs" left. I put it on and saw it was showing a border collie herding trial! About 5 mins later, I let Gypsy inside and she came and lied down on the mat in the living room. When the commercial ended and the dogs/sheep came back on, she looked up at the TV and honestly started watching the show! She sat there transfixed for the entire last 10 mins, but didn't bother to watch the commercials. I thought dogs couldn't see TV because of the frame speed or something, but she sort of freaked me out last night :rolleyes:

Gypsy052.jpg

Gypsy053.jpg

Whisper is sometimes interested in watching dogs on TV, but what REALLY captures her interest are pigs. She seems to be utterly captivated by pigs. I've never exposed her to pigs, but what she saw or learned before she came to me is unknown. I have to wonder if she lived on a pig farm.

What a great picture of gypsy watching TV. :D

I've been told that dogs don't respond to two dimensional images, like you have on a TV screen, although they will respond to the sounds from a TV program. But my late and dearly beloved homicidal maniac of a chow chow would crash his head into the screen and try to attack anytime a picture of something cute and helpless came on. :rolleyes: Even if the sound wasn't on.

And last weekend the girls and I watched the BC Breed All About It episode on APL. Of course, both of them were riveted by the whistle sounds, but Faith was utterly fascinated by the flyball sequences, which weren't making any kind of enticing noise. I hope she doesn't expect me to sign her up for a team.

Both of mine tend to watch TV at times......tho they would rather watch 'their' TV which is what I call the front window looking out over the yard and road.......

One time there was a program on one of our local channels about a gal that has a herding facility - - Roz had just had her first lesson on sheep a few days before and the second she heard the whistles and the sheep sounds she was up in front of the TV (hubby finally talked me into a 52 inch which I call the BIG A$$ Monstrosity!!!) It was hilarious ...a few minutes later as the sheep went off the screen to right - - Roz ran up and looked behind the side of the TV to see where they had gone!!! :rolleyes: LOLOLOL!! We still laugh about that one!

I have learnt to watch anything to do with herding with ear phones, otherwise Starr gives me the "there are whistles we must work" stare. :rolleyes:

My Carlie girl loves to watch tv. She has her favorite programs and will come running when she hears the theme music, watch the program, wander off when the commercials come on and then come back when the show comes back on. She will sit in rapt attention in front of the tv for the whole show, no matter how long it lasts. If she gets bored she will go over to the tv, sit in front of it and look from me to the tv to the remote back to me, etc until I turn it on for her. If there is nothing on that she wants to see she'll wander away again. If she is being a pest in the kitchen or something I tell her 'go watch your tv' and she'll run to sit in front of it.

Griffin, on the other hand, will notice the tv, especially if Carlie is watching it, but doesn't watch for long.

Olivia

for some reason, kingsley was captivated by the world cup when i woke up in the middle of the night to catch the matches from the 2006 world cup.

Maybe he was really planning to be the world's best goalkeeper!

here's a video of kingsley watching his fave football team, italy against germany in the 2006 world cup.

My `Collie-bitch 'Tegwen' has always been an avid Tv. watcher....she`s had 3 litters and many of the pups have inherited her love of the demon-tube!....A Tv. gene at work perhaps?

Favourite programs are animal-based: Pet Rescue, Animal Hospital etc., but her real favourite is "One man and his dog" (televised sheepdog trials)......but her interest in Tv. is so great as the mere mention of the name of any of the human presenters of the programs will result in a flurry of excited-yelping and jumping up at the screen even if the darned-thing isn`t turned on!

Tegwen watching a sheepdog trial:

post-6532-1181840936_thumb.jpg

Tegwen and her son; Metheny, sharing an edition of "Vets in practice" with their beloved Norwegian Vet lady-presenter: "Trude Mosdue"

post-6532-1181840517_thumb.jpg

Only if someone's barking, normally. Or sometimes animal noises get their attention.

We have one recorded episode of some pet program I've forgotten the name of. This episode is about sheepdogs, especially BCs, and about a lady who runs a German BC rescue and tests all her dogs on sheep. She speaks to her dogs in a quiet, friendly, undramatic way, but Kessie really reacts to that tone of voice - she always thinks she's being spoken to! When the same woman speaks to the show presenter in the normal way, Kessie couldn't care less.

I've never noticed any of them "watching", they just listen (and sometimes have a peek behind the screen, just to make sure. We don't have proper TV anymore, just internet TV on a lap top, and they're still trying to figure out the flat screen :rolleyes: ).

LOL at Kingsley the footie fan! He really looks fascinated :D

Ceana watches TV every once and awhile. She likes noisy women (just like her mom) and dogs. One time we were watching animal planet and a woman on TV told a dog to sit. Ceana sat her butt on the ground like the command was for her. I laughed so hard I fell off the couch.... then I told her she was very good. We haven't really ever seen any shows with hearding or fly ball, i bet she would be interested in that.

...we have a friend whose dog loves wild animals on the discovery channel. He watches elephant etc... like a hawk and if you tell him to "go get it" he will try and bite the animal on screen.

Peanut watches TV all the time. She likes to see animals. Especially the Planet Earth series. Even if the only sound is the narrator talking or music, her eyes are glued to the screen! Whales, birds, snakes, wolves, fish - whatever, she loves to watch animals on TV.

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie loves watching shows with animals, even with no sound. I don't buy that they can't see it, he's fascinated by Meerkat Manor! And meowing or barking will bring all 3 animals, (Woobs & 2 cats) running.

Holly usually does not take much notice of the tv unless she hears a dog bark then she will bark back and show interest.

What was kinda cool though a while back, i was sorting through old video clips of her as a puppy. She has a dumbbell that makes a queer sound when you shake it, she loved it as a pup. Anyway she was playing with it on the video clip as i was watching it she came in the room , looked at the tv for a few minutes then darted off tail wagging. She went to fetch the exact same toy from her many many toys in her very big toybox and started playing with it. :D

My hubby and i thought it was so cool and couldn't believe she had done it. She hadn't had it out for ages. They are so clever these bc's i know but sometimes they still amaze you. :rolleyes:

Well Black Jack will watch it once in a while. Mainly when other dogs are on or when he hears something that catches his ear. He likes the frisbee shows of the Ultimate Dog Championships, he loves that commercial of the squeeky vacuum though. It's funny to wach his ears go up and see him listen so carefully to it :rolleyes: