BC Boards

Looking to get a border collie! Advice please...

A little background, I'm a 26 year old male unmarried who's very active physically. I love to hike, jog, work out and I have a decent sized yard.

I've always been into border collies and I take owning a dog very very seriously. I've never owned one myself and I'm thinking of getting one when I return to Georgia from my summer home here in Aspen, Colorado. I've done a lot of research and I feel like I can give the dog the companionship and exercise it needs to be happy.

My questions are where should I look for a dog in the southeast around the Augusta, Georgia area? Anything I need to really consider before making the purchase?

I figure no better place to talk about it than here.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

First off, what do you like about Border Collies as a breed? And have you been able to spend time observing/interacting with BCs? They are amazing and unique dogs, but you gotta love the traits and quirks that make them unique - such as they're ready to go at the drop of a hat, they tend to be a velcro dog, they love to exercise in all types of weather etc.

Secondly, have you considered getting a rescue dog? There are many awesome, very deserving BCs in rescue that that would make a wonderful active companion - from puppies to adult dogs. Rescues are also great at finding a dog that is a good fit for your individual lifestyle. Here is a link to Carolina Border Collie Rescue . You'll also find links to other rescue groups there.

Welcome!

First off, what do you like about Border Collies as a breed? And have you been able to spend time observing/interacting with BCs? They are amazing and unique dogs, but you gotta love the traits and quirks that make them unique - such as they're ready to go at the drop of a hat, they tend to be a velcro dog, they love to exercise in all types of weather etc.

Secondly, have you considered getting a rescue dog? There are many awesome, very deserving BCs in rescue that that would make a wonderful active companion - from puppies to adult dogs. Rescues are also great at finding a dog that is a good fit for your individual lifestyle. Here is a link to Carolina Border Collie Rescue . You'll also find links to other rescue groups there.

I have not spent time with any border collies at all. But I've always admired them from afar and I've always been deadset on getting one. I don't mind a dog that needs attention, I have a good amount of spare time to share with it, and I want a trusty companion that can do anything with me at anytime.

I have not considered a "rescue dog" and I'm still a bit green on what that really entails.

Why would you describe yourself as deadset on getting one? What are the traits that you've seen that you admire in them? Have you had other dogs in the past?

I would really try to spend time with some BCs and BC owners before getting one. Perhaps look into contacting a rescue group near you to go meet some BCs and BC people. Rescue groups take in BCs that need a home for whatever reason - previous owner can no longer care for the dog/dog is too active energetic for their lifestyle, they take in dogs from shelters or dogs who are stray or where abandoned. They care for health needs and place the dogs in foster homes while they evaluate the dog to find out what type of a home would be the best fit (working, sports, active pet, less active pet, etc). Getting a dog through rescue usually starts with filling out an application and then progresses to a home visit and then to finding a dog that they feel would be a good match for you/your lifestyle. Rescues are pretty good at matching up dogs with people, and often the best way to go for someone looking for an active pet!

Why would you describe yourself as deadset on getting one? What are the traits that you've seen that you admire in them? Have you had other dogs in the past?

I would really try to spend time with some BCs and BC owners before getting one. Perhaps look into contacting a rescue group near you to go meet some BCs and BC people. Rescue groups take in BCs that need a home for whatever reason - previous owner can no longer care for the dog/dog is too active energetic for their lifestyle, they take in dogs from shelters or dogs who are stray or where abandoned. They care for health needs and place the dogs in foster homes while they evaluate the dog to find out what type of a home would be the best fit (working, sports, active pet, less active pet, etc). Getting a dog through rescue usually starts with filling out an application and then progresses to a home visit and then to finding a dog that they feel would be a good match for you/your lifestyle. Rescues are pretty good at matching up dogs with people, and often the best way to go for someone looking for an active pet!

Well I've admired them for so long. I know that first-hand experience is most important in deciding if a dog breed is right for me, but I feel like from everything I've read they match me perfectly other than the fact I can't offer any working environment or job. I think they are gorgeous dogs and the intelligence of them appeals to me. The LAST thing I want is a dog that just likes to lay around. I want a dog that pushes me and wants to be pushed in return.

The rescue deal sounds like a great thing, but there is something appealing about getting a fresh puppy I can train and grow with, and not a dog that's been let go from another household. That may sound selfish or silly, but it makes sense to me.

I would second the rescue avenue, too. They generally have a LOT of dogs, ranging in age and temperament/energy level. You can find one that really suits you, as opposed to a pup, which is often a crapshoot, unless you're into a serious working dog. But even then, it's stilll pretty much a crapshoot,

Anna

I've got 2 BCs who both came to me as adults. I couldn't imagine not having my older dog in my life. I got her as a 3 y/o and within just a few days she was very much bonded to me. She is my girl, and goes with me just about everywhere. She wants nothing better than to do things with me. We've done everything together from farm chores, to going to my day job, to going on vacations, to therapy dog work, and she loves it all as long as we're doing it together. With my younger dog I wanted to get a dog that would fit in well with my situation. He was a dog that a breeder of working BCs had taken back and was rehoming. He was just under 2, and I was pretty sure before I got him that he would be a good fit for me. And he has proven to be a very good fit for me.

With an older dog you know what you're getting when you get it. Which is a very, very good thing for a first time BC owner. And it would still bond to you pretty quickly. As far as training, well, my 8 y/o dog still learns new things! You'd also be able to do things like jogging with your dog alot sooner (you'd have to wait about 18 months with a pup in order to protect those growing joints). Those are all things you should seriously consider. That's my advice!

I do understand wanting a pup, it's kind of natural to most people (except for those who have just gone through 2 years of BC puppyhood...). But when I look at my dogs I couldn't ask for two dogs that are a better fit for me, my lifestyle and each other.

Hear Hear Maralynn! I too have a rescued dog - Maggie - who is also my ideal dog/heart dog. I adopted her at the tender age of 10 months from the local shelter and I believe she is a cattle dog/ border collie cross. She challenged me in a lot of ways but due to her "pushing" and mental/physical exercise needs I've grown a lot as a dog owner. She's also the reason I'm currently serving as an Animal Behavior and Training Coordinator at a shelter in SC - I loved working with Maggie sooo much that I tranferred that joy into a fulltime occupation! :rolleyes: See the power of the Border Collie? lol

In some respects getting a rescue dog is even better than a pup due to the "known quantity" aspect (especially if you get a dog that has been fostered in a home), but another great thing is that there is a special something in the bond immediately - many people think dogs "know" when they've been rescued and it shows. :D Not to mention that, like Maralynn said, you can do more and sooner with a young adult vs. a pup.

I suggest all new dog owners start with an older dog - i.e. not a pup under 6 mo and maybe not under 2 yo - it takes less work to housetrain, the energy levels are starting to even out (at a high level, but still more predictable), and the true personality is easier to see. As a first time dog owner, training and leadership with any dog can be challenging, but this is 10 times more so with a puppy.

The decision is up to you ultimately, but it would definitely be worth hooking up with a rescue and helping at events to get a feel for BC ownership no matter which way you go. :D

Welcome to the boards Ryan. It sounds like you would be a pretty good BC owner but I would strongly urge you to spend some time with some BC's to see if they are right for you. Far to many BC pups end up in a rescue because the owner didn't take the time or think they neede to see what they all about. Not that you wouldn't care for it, I'm just saying. I got my BC from the Humane Society in town, even though he does have "baggage" from his life before me, I wouldn't EVER traid getting him for anything. I spent almost a year being around some, and working with them at the Humane Society before I rescued him. Spending some time with some will never hurt anything. I had thought the same thing as you too. I wanted a pup to raise and train my way, but some how Black Jack found me and I'll never regret not getting a BC pup for my first BC. Even though the next BC I get will probably be a BC pup from the rescue. Rescues do have pups too, so you can look at that also. Here's a link to the AMBCR

Hi,

I got my dog as a young adults (around 1.5 years). I have to tell you, as a single working person, this was a huge blessing! I left him home 2 days after I got him, and there was nothing torn, broken, or chewed. He's only had an accident in the house once - when he was very, very ill. And there's no way we could be more bonded, even if I had gotten him as a puppy. There's something about rescuing a dog that makes him grateful to you, I think.

Plus, when you get an adult, you get some sense of the temperament he's going to have as an adult. You can watch him interact with other dogs, kids, etc.. Also, since you're new to the breed (as I was!), you can choose one that's a bit mellower than some BCs are. I lucked out and got the brains of a BC in a very calm, relaxed dog. :rolleyes:

Check out the border collie rescue forum. You can look at dogs in your area who are available for adoption. Many of them are being fostered, so you can get a real, solid idea of what they're like.

Good luck!

Mary

The rescue deal sounds like a great thing, but there is something appealing about getting a fresh puppy I can train and grow with, and not a dog that's been let go from another household. That may sound selfish or silly, but it makes sense to me.

No, I understand what you're saying. I don't know if I missed how much experience you have with dogs in general or if you've had a puppy before. Quinn was my eight dog, fifth puppy and first BC. I've been training and competing with dogs in agility and obedience for several years. Those first few weeks with Quinn were a nightmare and if I hadn't been too proud to admit I couldn't handle a BC, he would have been back on a plane to the breeder. It felt like I had brought home a coyote. I was miserable. Fortunately, I had two friends with BC's who gave me daily encouragment and assistance. Also fortunately, at 6 months Quinn went from my worst puppy ever to my best -- with lots of daily exercise, training, structure and companionship. And he is a fantastic dog who I can't imagine being without as he approaches 2 years old. But a friend just got a BC puppy and it reinforced for me how challenging these dogs are when they're little. It isn't something I'd recommend for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with dogs and training. And BC's do not always become wonderful at as young an age as Quinn did. I lucked out there.

Now if you are dead set on a puppy, even without puppy raising experience, even with it being your first dog, it can be done but it will be an enormous amount of work on your part. Do some reading on these boards about the kind of breeder you want to go to if that is the route you take. Be prepared for lots of questions from breeders and needing to "prove" yourself BC worthy :D Also, keep in mind that rescues get puppies, sometimes entire litters of very young puppies, if you are determined to bring a baby coyote home :rolleyes: I think you'll find a strong rescue sentiment here because there are so many wonderful dogs in desperate need of homes and so many people thrilled with their rescued BC's. I plan on getting a rescue for my next dog. There is a lot to be said for knowing the temperament and abilities of the finished product. Plus I'm not that fond of coyotes, LOL.

Having done both - raised a Border Collie from puppyhood and having gotten an older pup (10 months) from rescue - I highly advise you to thoroughly check your options out.

You want a dog that you can be active with, but if you get a baby puppy, that will be on hold for a while since you will need to let the puppy grow up before he/she could really engage in a lot of activity with you. In a way I will always miss "puppy Speedy" and the sweet little ball of fluff that he was. On the other hand, adult Speedy - trained, active, attentive to me - is just way more fun than he ever was as a puppy.

When we adopted Dean at 10 months old, I was able to have him jump right into our active and busy lives. There was a very short adjustment period, but six months later I am so glad I didn't have to wait for him to grow up to do all of the things we have enjoyed in that time. And there is no lack of bond or affection because he was in another home. He truly is "mine all mine" at this point!

Just another aspect that you might want to think about!

Also, with an older dog, you can get an idea of temperament. The fact that you raise and socialize a dog yourself is no guarentee that he/she will be what you want. But an older dog - even 7 months old or so - is much more of a known entity.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a baby puppy, just that it's best to think it through very carefully. I'd advise you to go meet some adult Border Collies and talk to those who have raised Border Collie puppies.

I would also advocate getting an older dog--their personalities are more formed. You have a better chance of getting exactly what you want.

I also advocate rescue groups--they do try very hard to match the right dog with you--they want the best for both the person and the dog. I looked into one rescue group and specifically asked for one dog and was told flatly that he would not be a good match for me and why (the dog needed sheep and I have none). It is a drawn-out process and it seems like to may be more difficult to adopt a dog than it is to adopt a kid, they really do try hard to place their dogs.

My Whisper came from a rescue group who didn't know too much about BCs in general; they specialized in hounds. Also, they were just starting out and had a LOT of dogs to the point where they didn't know anything about her personality, and since they rescued her from a shelter, absolutely nothing about her history. I lucked out with her since from the very start Whisper bonded right to me and while she has some issues (some of them serious) we've worked through many of them. If I had gone from a more knowledgeable rescue group I doubt she would've been released to me, a first time BC owner. The beauty of dogs is that they can be shown what a good dog is reagardless of their past.

Good luck, and when you get your BC, be sure to share pics!

Hi Ryan and welcome to the board! As you can see there are alot of rescue people on this list, myself being one of them. In one of your previous posts you voiced concern about taking in a dog that "had been let go from another household" As a foster home for MidAtlantic BCR in Maryland let me stress that any dog that is in rescue has been evaluated and vetted to the best of our ability. These are dogs that have arrived, for the most part, through no fault of thier own in rescue. Some of the biggest reasons are: No time, too active, or dumped and picked up as a stray. For me one of my greatest rewards is seeing a foster find their forever home, knowing that here is someone that will take the time to teach good behavior, exercise appropriately and just in general love one of these wonderful dogs. We make every attempt to match you with the best partner we can find with you. Puppies are great I love them, but they are work and for the first part of their lives cannot be left alone for long periods of time if for no other reason than they just need to potty far more often than a more mature dog. If you are looking for an active partner that will be ready to go I would look at a 1-2 yr old vs. a pup. Here is a link for Georgia BC rescue: www.gabcrescue.petfinder.org (north ga area) this one has an Augusta local adopt-a-border-collie.1-800-save-a-pet.com. Of course if you decide against doing a rescue at this time please please do lots of research on breeders in your area. If you have questions about one or need advice ask us and we will do our best to help you.

There are plenty of puppies in rescue, if you decide to go that route. Here's one I'm in love with:

LMNOPeeWee053720.jpg

I'm not being pushy that you *have* to rescue, but a good rescue will match you up with a dog that suits your needs and lifestyle, if you choose an older dog. There are rescues in the Carolinas, two in Tennesse, a couple in Georgia, and Florida. There will be no shortage of dogs when you're ready, although you may have to travel for a puppy, you just never know.

I'm a rescue person myself, but I also have no problem with someone who wants to get a puppy from a reputable breeder, either. I don't have any recommendations, but maybe you could go to some sheep dog trials and hang out and talk to people? Get some ideas, make some contacts, get a feel for the breed?

I understand hesitancy about a dog that is in rescue--maybe it has problems, etc. However, having worked with our rescue group over the years, what I see for the most part is that the reason the dog ends up needing to be rehomed is NOT because of the dog, but because of the PEOPLE. These dogs need time, attention, and supervision. Too many get a BC because they "want a really smart dog," but then don't bother to work with it at all to teach it anything. End result? A dog that is unruly and ill-behaved. So down the road it goes,

Anna

Just this past weekend I gave a six week old BC baby named Blossom a ride from a kill shelter to a foster home. Blossom's already found a forever home, but keep an eye on our webpage or email us - see the link to our rescue in my sig - because just since Christmas we've rehomed five puppies. Farmers in our area use BC a lot, for every thing from turkeys to cows, but some don't spay and neuter and the pups wind up in shelters. :D Most of our members are in Upstate SC, which isn't all that far from Augusta. :D

Now that I've got that plug out of the way :D , I also don't think there's anything wrong with getting a pup from a reputable breeder. Just beware, because there are some breeders in our general area who turn out candy-colored dogs with truly bizarre temperaments. Be sure and check out the breeder carefully. Some red flags would be: lots of pups available at one time; a breeder who lets you have a pup without requiring you to sign (in blood :D ) that s/he gets the pup back if you can't keep him/her, etc. Ask for vet references and phone numbers of people who have that breeder's dogs. A good breeder will be impressed, not annoyed, I promise. :D

I will say BC pups can be a handful. :rolleyes: The charming-looking little girl in my avatar, Faith, is now eight months old and quite the "coyote". :D I'm glad I have Violet, my four year old BC, to help me instill manners in her and keep her entertained.

Going to some sheep trials, or agility or flyball, or anywhere there's likely to be BC breeders and owners, is a good suggestion. Sometimes a dog breed you think you'd like turns out not to be exactly as you expected when you meet one in the flesh. OTOH, it can work the other way too. I never thought I'd want a BC, because I thought they were hyper. Then Violet came to stay at my house for the weekend and I found that my preconceived notion was totally wrong. She's intense and focused, but not hyper at all. :D

Good luck in your search, and keep reading here. This board is an invaluable resource for learning about the breed, and all the neat stuff you can do with them. :D

I am not trying to push the rescue issue either, but in many cases it does make sense.

Finding a reputable breeder when you are unfamiliar with the breed can be a daunting task. There are many "breeders" out there, but a good border collie breeder breeds for working ability. Not color, conformation, agility, or sport. Good breeders do not advertise, they don't have too. So word of mouth and stock trials are the best means of finding someone worthwhile.

I own two border collies. My first came from a "breeder". I was like you, drawn to the breed but lacking experience and understanding. I purchased a puppy, thought I asked the right questions, thought I did enough research. I was horribly wrong. My puppy came to me near death from one of the worst BC puppy mills around. I love her, but she has incredible behavioral issues that did not show themselves right away. Life is not always easy for us and I am constantly managing her behavior/fears. In many ways a puppy can be an unknown, you cannot change hard wiring. Trust me, I tried....she was socialized and given every opportunity a puppy is supposed to need to develop properly. This is my cautionary tale on picking the right breeder who breeds for the right reasons.

My other BC is a 18 month old male. I adopted him in December from a rescue in Louisiana. He spent a great deal of time with his foster mom. This allowed her to evaluate him, learn his personality, and judge what type of dog he was. That was invaluable to me. Her descriptions of him were spot on. Her understanding of who he was and what he needed were also dead on. Out of this I got my heart dog. Not the one I raised from a puppy, but the dog with the personality, drive, and temperment I needed.

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the Boards. You'll find you get a lot of excellent advice here. We have both rescues and BCs we raised from puppy-hood and both have something to recommend them. I will say that raising puppies of any sort can be a trying experience and BC puppies have their own special issues (not the least of which is to want to go, go, go ALL. THE. TIME). BCs are slow maturing dogs and many are still pretty puppy-ish until they are about 2 or even older (one of ours didn't reach an adult-like state until well past 3)

We got our puppies at points when someone was working at home--this made lots of things very easy, esp. housetraining and early household manners. With each, we also had slightly older dogs at home. The teenagers, in a sense, taught the pups some of the ropes and took some of the pressure off us humans to be playing ALL. THE. TIME. I can't imagine raising a puppy without an older dog around (though I know that many people do it very successfully, including many folks here on the boards).

However, I think that the nature of our bond with the two rescues is in many ways richer. Having worked with a BC rescue, I can say that you are much more likely to know what you are getting if you adopt from a rescue and to be more likely to get the right match for you (a first-time BC owner who is very active and wants an active companion, but has no experience with the breed).

And like others have said, most BCs are relinquished to rescue organizations because they need more time and attention than the people who obtained them are willing or able to give. BCs are dogs that crave interaction with you--they do not go outside and amuse themselves (except in ways that you probably won't like)--they need a LOT of mental engagement--at least as much, and probably more, than physical engagement.

I completely understand your desire to try and avoid problems by starting with a fresh puppy, but I also know that none of our puppies have the personalities we thought they would when we got them, while both rescues are pretty much like they were the day we picked them out. We love them all, but you really get no guarantees with puppies--even ones from excellent breeders.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from a puppy--well, actually, that's not entirely true, I am. Border Collies are among the most commonly relinquished dogs (along with Pit Bulls and labs) and there are so many who will thrive in exactly the environment you have to offer while making you an outstanding, devoted companion. I really hope that you will look seriously into the rescue resources in your area. Honestly, of our six dogs, the two rescues are the most devoted, responsive, dogs-in-love-with-us that we have.

Good luck and keep asking questions and weighing their answers

I have not spent time with any border collies at all. But I've always admired them from afar and I've always been deadset on getting one. I don't mind a dog that needs attention, I have a good amount of spare time to share with it, and I want a trusty companion that can do anything with me at anytime.

I have not considered a "rescue dog" and I'm still a bit green on what that really entails.

Hi,

Well hope my experience helps you decide. Last May I lost my Collie/Shep mix at 16 years old. I have gotten all my dogs from the SPCA and she was no exception. In a house with just 2 of us & no kids, the lost of her was too much to take. So off we went that weekend to the shelters, & area rescues to find another furry 'kid'. By Sunday nite we found one, a 14 week old male Border Collie puppy from the local SPCA. I am a active person so walking miles, playing outside is no big deal to me. However, my last dealing with a puppy was when I was 11 years old, WOW what a lifestyle change! Our boy came down with Parvo 3 days after we brought him home, I didn't know if he would live, but he must of had some inkling that life at our house meant he was KING, so he pulled through with flying colors. He was an active puppy never stopped playing and wore us out (and tried our patience some days). Remember I had a 16 year old sick dog who only eat and slept!. I just joined this board yesterday and I am proud to say Tucker is 16 months old, just graduated his first Agility class with honors! He is happy now he has a Job to do!,, besides the endless play and miles of walking we do together. Last winter I even hooked his leash to my waist and we went cross country sking together. I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, now neutered (of course), and getting to that 1 1/2 year mark, he is becoming a delightful loving companion. We are learning to communicate and that is helping with obedience training. Yea BC's have some 'issues' OCD, Tucker has a few (tail chasing is one) but we are working him away from these habits. The obedience instructor said this is a product of breeding. I will continue Agility training and hope to compete someday. There are other options BC's excel at besides Agility, such as herding, rally, fly ball. Tucker's personality is the best I have ever experienced in a dog, he is not agressive at all, loves people and other dogs. I have had one other experience with a Border Collie, but that was one that was given to me as a 'last resort', he was mistreated, and had epilepsy. The family could no longer handle him. This was back in the 70's when vet meds were not advanced as today. I always loved BC's and always felt bad I could not change what life had dealt him, all I could do was take care of him and deal with his problems.

I think you will find the that a BC companion will enrich your life way beyond your expectations.

GO FOR IT and GOOD LUCK

P Cap

Hi Ryan, welcome to the boards! :D

Please review this very important documentation before making your decision!

destructiveay6.jpg

I raised Odin from the age of 12 weeks. I love him, he's adorable, I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world!

But he was a little devil!!! :rolleyes: And he's only HALF BC! :D

I adore border collies, but my next BC will most definitely be an older rescue, and that won't be 'for a while since we've just taken in a little mutt pup named Flora. She's a handful as well, but Odin was two hands full and two feet full! LOL!

What a great post, Lauren! It will undoubtably help someone out there, thanks for sharing.

Wow, you people are great. I'll read through all of the replies!

One issue that should be considered is the daycare for your BC. BC's are active, and can become very frustrated if left confined without a task to perform for long periods of time. Will someone be home with the dog during the day? If not, have you considered alternatives for keeping the dog occupied when you are not home? Remember that the term "active" means radically different things when applied to humans and to Border Collies.

Good luck with your BC.