BC Boards

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Becca, I'm very sorry for your loss and although foster dogs are not "our" dogs, it very much feels like they are if we lose one. My deepest sympathies.

I'm sorry for you Becca, you are a very brave person allowing those dogs to enter in your heart even knowing what could be the end. But I'm not sorry for Kris, I'm happy for him and for the life and the end you gave him. You provided Kris of a heaven.

Thanks for your continued words of support.

I couldn't figure out why this hit so hard, then a note from Nancy helped me see it. It's odd, but this is the first time I've had to make this kind of decision, when it wasn't 100% obvious, and when it hit right out of the blue like this. Just two weeks ago we were "warming up" the round pen for the picnic and I was thinking what a fun surprise it was going to be to show him to Karen.

Now I know what my problem is, I can deal with it better. Still, I can't help but think how appropriate the last stanza of Kipling's famous poem is:

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-time loan is as bad as a long--

So why in Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

I wonder whether Kris sneaked into the great pack of dogs that met Steuart this morning over there? :rolleyes:

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

When it comes to burying Christian clay.

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-time loan is as bad as a long--

So why in Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

wow. I've never read that before. it gave me goosebumps.

I am so sorry to hear that you had to let Kris go. Were you going to do an autopsy to find the cause? I remember we did one on our cat that we lost and it helped alot to finally have answers.

Becca - I can imagine that this has hit you all the harder since you'd been visualising such a different future for Kris - and since you said that Patrick had taken a special interest in Kris. It's very hard on you all - but please take comfort in knowing that you were there to do what had to be done for Kris - and give him love and comfort. Thinking comforting thoughts for you all from the land of Oz.

"So why in Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?"

Because in giving, we receive so much even if it is for a brief period of time. And in that giving, our lives are more complete.

I don't recall reading that poem by Kipling - It would be nice to read the whole poem.

I wonder whether Kris sneaked into the great pack of dogs that met Steuart this morning over there?

I'd be willing to bet he did :rolleyes:

I'm so sorry to hear about Kris. It's never easy to lose a dog you love so much. No matter how long you have had them they always leave paw prints on you heart. Bless you for trying to help him, and doing everything you could to save him. But in the end you made the right choice. Rest in peace Kris, run free, and play hard. He'll be waiting over there to give you a big 'ol kiss :rolleyes: