BC Boards

Cat Food

So (Prince) Louie is more interested in my

cat(s)'s food than his own - unbelievable, he hangs and waits for my poor 15 y.o. cat to finish which btw she has tried swapping him twice and he still trys to sneak a lick or chop of her food - he doesn't care .. Could this 8 week old pup be that bored with his own food, which I vary from wet to dry, etc. or is it just because he can not have it??? When he is at work with my husband, he apparently eats his food - I guess he has no choice.

I feed him puppy Iams - dry and their wet puppy pouches and I will be trying organic puppy chow as well. I also give him those Iams puppy biscuits.

Whe he is home and if he has a choice he would eat the cat food. As a matter of fact my cats go for his food so go fugure!

I feed my cat up on a counter, because it's too stressful for him to have to defend his food. Catfood is indeed tastier than dogfood. Maybe it's the carnitine supplementation that catfoods must have?

I do use the catfood kibbles as treats for the dog, because they are nice and small, and they taste soooo good. And cheap they are too!

It's a dog thing. Food = eat it. Cat food is also very yummy stuff compared to dog food. I believe part of it is the higher fat content. I'd feed the cat in a gated room so she doesn't have to put up with a pushy pup.

That said, my dog leaves the cat food alone. It's dry food and out most of the time. Missy ignores it. The cat used to eat Missy's food when I fed her straight kibble, but now Miss usually gets raw food in her crate.

Thanks! great ideas...

I don't think I am going to put my cats up on the counter - my husband would have a canary! LOL! but the "gating" idea sounds good or maybe I will just put the cat food in another room. The cats are so good and will go anywhere their food is.

Are the cat food kibbles good for a growing pup?

my bc mix prefers the cat's food to her own. we have to hide it from her. she leaves her food and 'grazes' from her bowl the entire day. but if she ever sees the cat bowl it is gone in a few seconds.

we had a beagle/shepherd mix that would do the same except she would eat all her food and the cat's as well. but given the choice they always go for the cat food.

Originally posted by di59louie:

So (Prince) Louie is more interested in my

cat(s)'s food than his own - unbelievable, he hangs and waits for my poor 15 y.o. cat to finish which btw she has tried swapping him twice and he still trys to sneak a lick or chop of her food - he doesn't care .. Could this 8 week old pup be that bored with his own food, which I vary from wet to dry, etc. or is it just because he can not have it???

Most cat food is higher quality than most dog food. Since cats are "obligate" carnivores, petfood manufacturers cannot get away with stuffing the product with grains, as they do with dogfood. Cat food will have higher levels of higher quality protein and fat as well.

Canned catfood (yuk) is even more nutritious.

It's healthier for a dog to eat cat food than it is for a cat to eat dog food. I would say cat food is a step up from Iams, no question. Your pupster may be trying to tell you something!

Chris O

I would upgrade his food to something a little more tasty and nutritious for him. Hopefully this will help.

Eukanuba & Iams are both inferior foods. They are actually loaded with alot of hard to digest ingedients bad for dogs.

Innova, Canidae and Natural Balance dog foods are all good ones.

Meg kept eating Sox's food and her 'poop', ugh. So we finally created a ledge about 4 feet up next to a counter in the laundry room for her litter pan and a shelf above that for her food.

Meg tries to beat her to the jump place but Sox is way to fast.

The only drawback is that when the cat lands on her shelf it sounds like the house was hit by a truck.

Ha, it's my cat who tries to steal the dog food!

We feed Maggie first, in the morning, then I take Fergie for a walk. Ferg runs in with the newspaper, gets her "pay" for that job, then eats her breakfast. But we have to put the food dish on the counter, with the can of treats on top to protect it, and put it down only when she's ready to eat. Otherwise Maggie scarfs it all down while we walk.

And Maggie never eatss her own food that fast, unless it's canned.

BTW, Maggie eats on top of the washer and dryer. The laundry room is also the pet room.

I'd say too much cat food wouldn't be good for a growing pup.

I have cats, and they have their own room with their beds, litter pans and food. I keep a baby gate up, but place it about 6 inches or so up from the ground. The cats scoot under, but the dogs can't. Works perfectly.

And di59louie, here's a great site to learn all about dog food and how to pick a good product:

www.dogfoodproject.com

I plan to install a cat door on the door to the laundry room when we get a cat and keep the litter box and cat food there--less hassle than a gate. I suspect someone's "pokey nose" will spend a lot of time wedged in it! I have also seen baby gates that are "walk through" for humans and cats. There's a small door built into the gate that you can keep open for cats. Charlene

Hey Diana!!!

I don't know about Eukanuba (although when I saw the ingredients I wasn't really impressed especially when compared to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance)...but IAMS... both my vet when I took Ouzo and an expert ferret person in the past.. told me "no, no"...The ferret person told me it has preservatives that are toxic to ferrets (I would assume to cats since I'm talking about IAMS cat food for the ferrets).Well, not "no,no" literally but the vet said "I wouldn't suggest IAMS".

I give Natural Balance for cats to my fuzzies and once that I was bying the food a dog owner told me it's a great food and that his dog used to have gastrointestinal problems and Natural Balance helped a lot. But I am not sure if it comes in puppy formula...

Like other people said, cat food is higher in fat and protein than dog food.. so as a treat it wouldn't harm...I haven't given that to Ouzo yet though...I might give it a try

Not sure about Kyla's motives, but Kessie definitely steals the cat food for the sake of stealing. I know that because she steals stuff she doesn't like, too :rolleyes: .

When I get Kessie a chicken (Kyla doesn't like chicken), the organs that she doesn't like (liver, stomach) go in the cat's bowl.

Once the cat wasn't there and I forgot to watch Kessie, and she took the chicken stomach and carried it out into the hall and left it there. Yuck and double yuck! I put it back and she took it out again :D .

I also keep the cat box and their play tower with food in opposite ends of a gated room. It's a 'safe zone' for the cats where they can go to get away from the dogs and it keeps the dogs from snacking on either the food or the 'kitty crunchies'.

I sprinkle kitty crack (aka catnip) on the carpet and tower and the kitties love to roll in it. They can't do that in the livingroom anymore because the smell REALLY attracts my dogs too.

But I am not sure if it comes in puppy formula...
Sorry to keep butting in, but I just wanted to add that you can feed an all life stages food instead of puppy food. I'm pretty sure Natural Balance is an all life stages food. (I have fed it, and my dogs did fine on it).

Psmitty please feel free to butt in lol! That's what this forum is for

I don't think I'll feed Ouzo with Natural balance once he becomes an adult. I love this food for my ferrets and there's no better cat food I believe. I started Ouzo on Natural Ultramix for puppies...I have some time to think about his adult food.. I might stick to this brand...still I need to do more research

Originally posted by di59louie:

Well well well I had no idea that Eukanuba & Iams are both inferior foods - I was told otherwise...I will definetly trial these other brands mention - THANKS!!

and thank you all for your wisdom........

http://www.dogaware.com can provide you with not only names of higher quality dogfood, but also can give you the info you need to make wise choices on your own.

Chris O

Originally posted by PSmitty:

I'd say too much cat food wouldn't be good for a growing pup.

A pup can't hardly go wrong with high quality protein and fat. It's too much calcium that can screw up a growing pup...in which case knowing what the calcium levels are in the cat kibble would definitely be smart. If the levels are similar to those in puppy kibble, there is no reason to worry about cat food.

Chris O