BC Boards

Puppy Madness.

Hi,

I am new to the site and also a proud owner of an 11 week old border collie dog called Edward. I was looking for some advice if anyone can help?

Most of the time Ed is golden. He's playful, very clever and friendly. However, at least once a day Ed has, what can only be described as a 'happy half hour'.

During this time he goes completely yampy! :rolleyes: He run's riot through the house and garden. He does not respond to any commands or attemts to interact and just wants to do his own thing. The only way to calm him is to take him out to the garden and wait until he's 'run it off'. Is this normal puppyness?

Comments would be appreciated. :D

Mant thanks,

Tracey.

Yup definately puppy zoomies, even as adults if my guys dont get out due to weather they have their silly half hour in the house its like wrestle mania a

Puppy zoomies are one thing you'll think back upon wistfully when your boy is grown up and mature. :rolleyes: I find I do with my adult dogs - there's nothing cuter.

It's kind of like little kids who are really tired but become hyper active to fight off having to go to bed. It's so much fun and you will miss it when they're all grown up (in a few years :rolleyes: ) . But hey, if your puppy is anything like mine, once he falls asleep, an earthquake wouldn't wake him!

Enjoy them while you can!

Maria

theyll grow out of it.

Yeah, right ... Annie is almost 3 years old, and has "puppy zoomies" from the time she gets up in the morning until she settles down in her "den" at night. The vet says that she should grow out of them by the time she is 10 or 12 years old.

We used to call it blue streaking, but whatever you call it, it is just like the crazies toddlers get down to the standing still staring into space with a mona lisa grin before flying off 180 degrees with a wild look in their eye. Usually after a bout a half and hour its time to send her to her crate for down time, which we call 'Dead Dog'. Five minutes after sending her there she is on her side legs stretched out with her tongue hanging out of her mouth sound asleep.

shelb's mum: Yay! I thought mine was the only one to go nuts after getting wet!

Skip zooms after walks/romps, but I think it's mostly to tease our 14 yr old collie mix. She also goes happy-mental if she gets the tiniest bit wet (I'm talkin' sprinkles of rain, not even rain rain :rolleyes: ) Ah, BC's and their quirks.

It's wicked funny, but the first time you see it- a bit startling until you know what's going on.

It's like they're possessed...lol. :rolleyes:

Nothing an upping in exercise cannot help with. Curbs it in mine real well. Else they'd tear up my hosue and break things. :D

Yeah the first time mine had a "zoomie" it freaked me out. I didn't know what the heck he was doing. He started chasing his tail, and running all around. He looks at me like "come on, it's fun!"

Guest WoobiesMom

Aahhhh yes, Woobie's foster mom called it the "zoomies" also. We call it "Wolf Dog Hour" and it's usually as soon as the sun goes down. Unless I've worn him out at the dog park (which I'm limiting until I get his legs checked), walked his little puppy legs off (also limiting presently) or have trained his brain into exhaustion he's a crazy boy who also doesn't listen and eats my legs up (pics to follow later).

I've had the most success with using the crazy time as play and train time. I spend about 15 minutes working on clicker training, sometimes a little longer and then as a reward we get to play fetch for a good long time. We had dangerous winds yesterday with flying road signs and tree branches so we were hunkered down inside. After training and fetch inside, I gave him several brand new yummy chew toys (kong, bones, etc) that also kept him occupied until sleepy time.

Good luck!